Dark Souls

Acid · 52034

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #300 on: December 07, 2015, 11:45:07 PM
I'm alright with it being the last for a while. I just hope it's better than DS2.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #301 on: December 07, 2015, 11:50:15 PM
I'm alright with it being the last for a while. I just hope it's better than Bloodborne.

Fixed.  8D

Also Flame can you cite your source on Nashandra there-because interview or something because no one on youtube that I watch for souls stuff has ever brought that up as far as I remember.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #302 on: December 08, 2015, 01:30:14 AM
Would be cool, since Bloodborne is my favourite of the bunch so far! 8D

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #303 on: December 08, 2015, 01:51:34 AM
Despite having poor level design, limited weapons and armors, useless magic and cheaply designed bosses with little to no visable tells where some will hit you despite clearly dodging?  8D

Oh and the story and lore are more simplistic than Demons Souls and thats--kinda hard to do.  O^O

I'll give the DLC credit for the Research Area (the most atmospheric area and only well designed location in the whole game) though. If you liked it cool-but it's from a technical stand point the most lazy game in the series, clearly rushed out without much testing on a lot of it's features. Still a good game but not better than Demons Souls or Dark Souls I and 2 for many reason.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #304 on: December 08, 2015, 02:42:56 AM
I uhh... completely disagree on pretty much all those fronts, actually. Especially compared to Dark Souls 2.

For level design, the levels all looped together believably in Bloodborne, particularly when it came to the shortcuts. They also had plenty of little side nooks and crannies, oftentimes ones that you could see well before you could reach them (which encouraged you to explore to find them). The only area I wasn't a fan of at first was the Forbidden Woods due to how easy it was to get lost in, but then it clicked that that was the whole idea. The only time I ever felt the level design was good in Dark Souls 2 was the Brume Tower; The rest was usually underwhelming at worst, and meh at best.

As stated elsewhere, I liked the limited weapons in Bloodborne because each one had a potential use. Each one feels like it could be good for someone's build (particularly with the new batch with the DLC). This is far from the case in Dark Souls 2. I concede that the armour variety is a bit lacking in Bloodborne though (not that the majority of the armour in the other souls games really served a purpose either).

As I said elsewhere (again; it's almost like I'm repeating myself) I didn't care for the magic in the Souls games, so I'm squarely in the "good riddance" camp for the magic aspect of Bloodborne. Hell, they nerfed the only spell type I even liked in DS2 SotFS, I used it even less there than the first playthrough!

As for the cheaply designed bosses... hahaha. They all have plenty of tells in Bloodborne, they just tend to not last as long as the ones in the rest of the Souls games (although I vaguely recall some of the bosses in DeS having shorter tells like these... I think, it's been a while). Dodging seems to work perfectly fine to me. DS2, on the other hand, I still got hit plenty by things I shouldn't have been hit by. Sloppy input lag didn't help things either (which I didn't experience in Bloodborne, I should note).

The story and lore is fine... it's actually plenty deep, although it seems to be even more vague in certain instances than the Souls games.

On the technical side, I actually find it to be a lot more solid than DS2. The controls are solid, as is the combat. DS2 felt like it wanted to be faster than DS and DeS, but the actual engine behind the game couldn't keep up which led to a bunch of issues. This is why I'm glad DS3 is running on a modified version of the Bloodborne engine, it has a chance of controlling normally instead of running through molasses.

Bloodborne is shorter than the other games, yes; but I have fun the whole way through. When a game feels like a slog like DS2 did for me (both times I got all the achievements/trophies), it feels more like a chore than enjoying my little time off. In the end, this is the most important aspect to me.

You can not like Bloodborne as much all you want, but I just don't agree with your reasoning. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #305 on: December 08, 2015, 04:12:03 AM
I originally had a long post typed up going into detail about my issues with Bloodborne's level design mechanics, odd spikes in difficulty and otherwise unmemorable boss encounters but I don't really see a point in posting it now to be honest. If you like it more cool-I like bloodborne too it's just my least favorite in the series-it feels like it took one step forward and three back when it came to advancing the design of the franchise. But as you said we have to agree to disagree.

Going to say something though-I want citation on ALL behind the scenes discssion we had on Dark Souls II-because to be honest it all sounds made up-not sure why I didn't ask before but looking on that Nashandra bit posted below I feel like people are just making stuff up-interviews and official material will suffice, I followed Dark Souls II's pre release development pretty closely and I don't remember anything about open world exploration or Nashandra's origin being moved around. Literally curious as to were this information came from because I would love to learn more.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #306 on: December 09, 2015, 01:47:32 AM
Just like I can't fathom how DS2 is your favourite for very similar reasons actually... but it's all good, really. Our gameplay approach is likely different enough that we appreciate different aspects of the games.

As for the behind the scenes stuff... don't ask me. I was merely stating conjecture based upon the odd design dissonance I saw in the final game. I've seen enough stuff behind the scenes at studios over the years that informs some of the impressions I had too. Perhaps Flame could provide the info.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #307 on: December 09, 2015, 07:48:40 PM
Just like I can't fathom how DS2 is your favourite for very similar reasons actually... but it's all good, really. Our gameplay approach is likely different enough that we appreciate different aspects of the games.

As for the behind the scenes stuff... don't ask me. I was merely stating conjecture based upon the odd design dissonance I saw in the final game. I've seen enough stuff behind the scenes at studios over the years that informs some of the impressions I had too. Perhaps Flame could provide the info.

Demons Souls is my favorite actually. Dark Souls II just has the best build variety for it's massive number of weapons/armors and spells. Plus I was able to deal with the PvP in that one like with Demons Souls. Dark Souls and Bloodborne PvP is garbage.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #308 on: December 10, 2015, 01:29:34 AM
Ah, Demon's... that one I can get behind. I think the PVP was at its most solid there too. Dark Souls was backstab heaven, and Bloodborne it's usually the fastest weapon that won (huzzah for Blades of Mercy). Dark Souls 2 was weird... the backstab mechanic was far too wonky for my liking (like... too much in the opposite direction of DS). The hit detection was about as hit and miss as the rest of the game in my experience too.

I'm curious to see how DS3 fares... not sure I like where the backstab mechanic is headed though. Oh well, I guess I'll find out whenever I get to play it.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #309 on: December 10, 2015, 03:52:32 AM
Back stabs are Dark Souls 1 with the chance of escape that Dark Souls II had if the beta remains true on that mechanic.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #310 on: February 09, 2016, 02:40:37 AM
Yeah, that's why I'm kinda iffy on it. Depends on how they tweaked the escape chance, I guess.

Anywho, opening cinematic was used as a trailer, which is nice to see I suppose:

[youtube]! No longer available[/youtube]

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #311 on: February 09, 2016, 04:24:14 AM
Yeah, that's why I'm kinda iffy on it. Depends on how they tweaked the escape chance, I guess.

Anywho, opening cinematic was used as a trailer, which is nice to see I suppose:

[youtube]! No longer available[/youtube]

Back stabs are for scrubs anyway-if you use it you should take the damage rather than your target and feel bad for not getting Gud.  8D

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #312 on: February 09, 2016, 05:21:00 AM
Actually, it's the whiff going off instead of another attack. Most annoying. If they leave their back open to me, it shouldn't miss at point blank range as they casually walk out of the way due to latency / positioning where I thought it wouldn't go off / both :P

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #313 on: February 09, 2016, 06:05:44 AM
Actually, it's the whiff going off instead of another attack. Most annoying. If they leave their back open to me, it shouldn't miss at point blank range as they casually walk out of the way due to latency / positioning where I thought it wouldn't go off / both :P

Nah the user should just explode--also hey we get to fight the Giant Lord again in Dark Souls 3  8D

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #314 on: February 09, 2016, 09:56:55 AM
Haha, tell that to all the facestabbers 8D (Note: this will always be a thing)

Sure seems to be the case, but with fire this time. Makes me think of Laurence :P

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #315 on: February 09, 2016, 02:25:01 PM
Haha, tell that to all the facestabbers 8D (Note: this will always be a thing)

Sure seems to be the case, but with fire this time. Makes me think of Laurence :P

Hey face stabbing is an ancient skill passed down by the old warriors of Lordran-taught to 98% of the PvP community-That last 2% use the ancient art of Dark Magic spam.  8D

Also pretty sure we're on fire in Dark Souls III too---*runs away arms failing*

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #316 on: February 11, 2016, 01:13:00 AM
Yeah, EVERYONE's on fire. I feel OK with that somehow.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #317 on: April 02, 2016, 04:10:56 AM

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #318 on: April 02, 2016, 04:33:23 AM
Not gonna lie that made me smile.  XD

Is it the 12th yet Phi?   O^O

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #319 on: April 02, 2016, 05:23:01 AM
Almost there, Blue, almost there

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #320 on: April 02, 2016, 05:41:09 AM
I am prepared to die (again) Phi, my body is ready.  8D

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #321 on: April 22, 2016, 10:59:15 PM
Ruelian/Ruelia is born again in Dark Souls 3  8D

Standing
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Close Up
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Stance
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Got my Dragon Rider bow Back  8D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

And one because it looked cool.  >w<
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

A graphical glitch let me summon a sunbro elevator.  8D
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #322 on: May 02, 2016, 05:00:29 PM
I made Simon Belmont

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #323 on: May 02, 2016, 06:24:05 PM
I... Wasn't aware we had a DaS thread.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #324 on: May 14, 2016, 11:25:20 PM
so now that ive finished DaS3, i have to say, it's actually kind of disappointing overall. while 2 had tons of flaws and is arguably the inferior game, I'd still prefer to play it over 3. if I had to rank them, now that ive played every souls game, id say

DeS > DaS > BB = DaS2 > DaS3

or something along those lines.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.