Dark Souls

Acid · 52098

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #275 on: August 17, 2015, 03:22:38 AM
There is kinda magic in Bloodborne or rather artifacts that do similar things. They are pretty much useless though.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #276 on: August 17, 2015, 04:10:15 AM
Yeah... most people don't count them though. The only ones I used more than once was the Old Hunter's Bone and the Empty Phantasm Shell. The rest I haven't found too useful, largely due to the Quicksilver Bullet cost.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #277 on: August 17, 2015, 05:05:05 AM
Replaying Dark Souls 1 right now now that I think about it, Knight of Astora build at the moment with the sword and shield as well as Elite Armor and some miracles like heal and lightning bolt to round things out.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #278 on: August 22, 2015, 08:00:32 AM
I kinda like that every weapon is actually viable and different in its own right in Bloodborne.
in DaS2 practically any weapon short of intentionally shitty weapons like a broken sword, are viable if used right.

of course, this DOES come at the expense of your second point. many weapons in DaS2 have the same moveset, which is party of why 90% of them are viable. But the point still stands that DaS2 had far more equipment variety than Bloodborne, with the balance as well. because the same goes for outfits. outfit stats really dont matter all that much in Bloodborne aside from something like frenzy res. in DaS2, they also dont matter much outside of hyperarmor. yet it has far more.

particularly in the PVP aspect of the game where the majority of people tend to gravitate towards the same items anyways.
To be fair, the PvP is never the main focus of a souls game, nor should it be, as DaS2 has shown with its many patches and nerfs just for PvP. Though of course DaS2 PVP is also a different beast from DaS1 PVP

As far as random drops... you liked grinding the same enemies over and over just to get a specific weapon or to complete a set?
Yeah. Nobody likes grinding for an hour to get a balder shield, of course, but the fact is the option is there. If you want, you can stick with your starting shield, or, take the time to get a different shield from an enemy. Or you might think that one enemy's set looks mighty fly, so you can take the time to obtain it. Bloodborne gives you no such option. The Cathedral Ward guys have a pretty cool set with their wide brimmed hats. You can't get it. The townsfolk in the forst have a nice white set. can't get that. You can't even get that handcannon that one wheelchair dude in upper cathedral uses. There's no element of surprise from enemy drops therefore. in Souls games, you might be pleasantly surprised when you killed an enemy, by his weapon or shield, or a part of his set you can mix and match with. Bloodborne has no such thing, making killing enemies just unrewarding and boringly static outside of getting souls or blood vials. 

Or in Dark Souls 2's case, having to up the difficulty of an area with a Bonfire Ascetic just so that you can continue grinding said enemies some more for the potential chance of getting a random item drop?
Different strokes for different folks, but that's how I got the Heide Knight set in vanilla DaS2. I never regretted it. [parasitic bomb] was worth it. currently they fixed that though. You can join the company of champions and enemies dont despawn.

And again, it was still an option for those who were willing to take the time to do so. Bloodborne just doesnt give you the option, period, making item progression very linear. You can't take a detour to kill an enemy or bunch of enemies for their sets, you have to reach specific areas in specific parts of the game to get a specific set or specific weapon. It's just boring and makes making new characters a chore when the starting game is identical for every single one down to the [parasitic bomb] I can choose to wear.

I'm more inclined to go through Bloodborne again than trudging through Dark Souls 2, that's for sure.
See, this is where my problem lies with Bloodborne. Due to the lack of content and lack of gameplay variety, I just have very little inclination to replay it. I tried making a skill character and got bored of it very quickly. And theres not much else for me to try to freshen things up, considering if I plan a character I have to trudge and speedrun through everything to get to the specific place where I can get the specific item i want.

like arcane items. Those are so late game it's ridiculous. So if i want to make a hybrid character with arcane, I lose interest when i remember that until I reach the point I get the items I want, it will be just another generic strength or skill build like my last one. Dark Souls 2 at least lets me do whatever the hell i want and build however I please enough to make for some variety. Youve even got your choice of 2 starting stages, with 3 starting bosses, and unique gear and weapons to get from each of those areas to customize with so no 2 playthroughs will ever be entirely alike after the first area I try.

The areas are designed well and are fun to play through
Eh, id disagree. I feel the level design sort of goes downhill after Cathedral ward and old yharnam. The Nightmare Frontier/of mensis areas are terrible, areas like Lecture Hall and Bergenwyrth are blatantly unfinished chunks of level, and Mergo's Loft becomes a gauntlet the likes of Demon Ruins after Micolash, complete with a rehashed boss as the stage enemy. Forest was good but drags on and is mazelike for all the wrong reasons, and the giant snakes are not very fun enemies. Unseen Village was good, but post-Rom becomes a slog with the terrible gimmick of the buffed ressurrecting enemies who 2 shot you, AND move in groups.

Feels like they dumped all their effort into Central Yharnam and Cathedral Ward

The weakest link for me in Bloodborne is the Chalice dungeons. They clearly put a lot of effort into them, but due to their random nature they lose all the atmosphere and tight level design that the main game has. The unique boss fights in them just doesn't make up for the rest of the stuff in there.
no argument there. the concept was good, the execution was horrible. They should have just been another pre-designed level under yharnam that tied into the story more than they do, which is not at all.

Anways, I'm looking forward to the DLC for Bloodborne, as well as Dark Souls 3. The Stance stuff they have going in Dark Souls 3 looks like it borrows aspects from the Trick weapons of Bloodborne, which makes me look forward to the melee fighting. I might use a spell here or there like in the other Souls games, but unless they do something more interesting with it I'm most likely not ever going to have a mage.
[/quote]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #279 on: August 22, 2015, 05:04:17 PM
To each their own; I can only remember one time where I used a random drop in each of the souls games (Silver Sword in DaS1, Llewellyn chest piece in DaS2). The rest of the items I always went back to using whatever it was I was using before that.

It's great that other people feel like it gives them extra options. for me personally though, the random drops never did anything for me. 9 times out of 10 I end up using stuff that is always present to find or is something I bought, which is why the lack of randomness didn't faze me at all in Bloodborne.

I do wish the armours in Bloodborne had more variety though. Oh well, maybe in the DLC (although I won't get my hopes up).

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #280 on: August 28, 2015, 04:19:43 PM
Our brave warrior Juan has crossed the half point of his journey through Dark Souls SL1 NG+3.

I've beaten O&S and Four Kings already, so the rest of the run should be a lot shorter than that first session. Took about 2 hours and I only fought the mandatory bosses so far. Thinking about going after Capra and Stray Demon to have a maxed Grass Crest Shield. We'll see how I feel closer to the end.

Four Kings, man. Never had a Souls boss go from my top hated to one of the most genuinely fun fights. I was especially happy this time because I figured out a great setup for RTSR hypermode mid-fight. The homing magic spear thing is the one attack I can never dodge, and I know in NG+max you can just heal and block it with Cracked Round Shield and it'll put you right back into hypermode. But in these middle NG+s, Cracked Round Shield actually blocks too much of it and you don't get hyper. Thankfully, the solution was simple: Grass Crest Shield. It has lower magic defense, just enough to trigger RTSR. And of course, as a bonus, you get fast stamina regen (still used a Green Blossom, though).

The rest of the fight was smooth and it didn't take me a lot of attempts. I used my Lightning Hand Axe+5 this time instead of Fire Reinforced Club. You can cancel with a roll much faster compared to RC, and the damage isn't bad. I killed the first king with the axe, then the rest with Great Combustion.

O&S were a total gamble as usual. Made it to Super Smough a few times and I'd always die to something stupid like his butt stomp AoE. Ornstein still dies fast at least. In the end, it's all about getting a lucky pattern and landing 3 Great Fireballs. But when the game refuses to cooperate, this fight is so infuriating.

If everything goes well, I'll finish tonight.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #281 on: August 28, 2015, 05:10:30 PM
You are more patient than I.  XD

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #282 on: August 28, 2015, 06:00:38 PM
True, this challenge is pretty much all patience. I've done it in Demon's Souls all the way through NG+7 and it was great fun. It's harder for me in DkS because you can't cheese as many bosses with hypermode, but I've been doing okay. \o/

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #283 on: August 29, 2015, 01:43:58 AM
SL1 NG+3 is done!

I always feel like I forgot something when I finish this game, especially in these runs where I don't want to do annoying stuff again next time. Case in point...

I got through the rest of the game quickly enough, so I decided to go fight Capra and Stray Demon for upgrades. The path to Capra Demon was actually harder than the boss this time, thanks to dogs and the bridge dragon deciding to 1-shot me. Capra, as usual, was all about somehow escaping that initial cheap rush and rolling upstairs. Then there's killing the dogs and not getting hit by Capra's attack... but I got lucky and the planets aligned. Got the Large Ember and then Very Large at New Londo for that Grass Crest Shield+15. Stray Demon was cake and he gave me the Titanite Slab I needed.

I also made a Fire Hand Axe+10, mostly 'cause I was so enamored with the Lightning one vs. Four Kings. And whoa, getting through the Catacombs in these conditions was nuts. There are just so many skeletons, and it's not always easy to isolate them. Divine Reinforced Club+10 kills them in one hit as long as it's a backstab, otherwise it takes like 4 or 5. Either way I couldn't afford having more than one enemy following me. I died before I activated the second bridge and I ended up making a leap of faith from the first bridge, onto one of the platforms that leads to the shaft where Vamos' shop is. Phew.

Hope I don't have to make new weapons for NG+4 through 6 because Jeez, that was rough. But still a good time. At this point everything kills me in one hit, so the last NG+s shouldn't be all that different strat-wise.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #284 on: September 17, 2015, 09:58:01 AM
well, magic bar confirmed for a return. First time since demon's souls.

it is used for both magic casting, AND sword arts moves.

SO I guess they decided instead of having to deal with a stack of casts for spells, AND a counter for sword arts was a bit much, so they just combined both to a magic bar.

that means however you now also have that second blue estus flask, which seems to be for the magic bar. it has very few charges, so remains to be seen how that works, considering how they had earlier talked about sword arts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6QL1Nm2b5A

also this gem

"Because of the character of Bloodborne’s gameplay, its battle style, as well as the role-playing elements, it’s limited compared to the Dark Souls franchise," he explains. "It doesn’t necessarily mean Bloodborne was bad. However, while working on [it] I realised, I want to [create] something which has a wide range of battle styles, or features magic, or those things which allow players to wear awesome armour. Those elements are what actually made me come [back] to the Dark Souls franchise."
http://www.gamesradar.com/bloodbornes-limitations-inspired-dark-souls-3s-battle-styles-says-miyazaki/

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #285 on: November 05, 2015, 04:24:02 AM
*Dusts off thread*

Well, I finally got around to playing the Dark Souls 2 DLC (via the SOTFS edition on PS4). Not bad, although the Brume Tower was the best one by a mile. Interesting bosses, interesting area. The other DLC areas were better than the main game to be sure, but they didn't really compare to Brume Tower.

... Too bad the rest of the game is still kinda lame. That weird input delay is still there too, and the game still feels sluggish. Oh well, just gonna go up until Drangleic in NG++ for the final spells, then I'll move on to something else. (aka Bloodborne DLC when it comes out)

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #286 on: November 05, 2015, 04:36:25 AM
I liked all three DLCs for various reasons.

Shulva for the puzzels and moving geometry. It also reminded me of King's Field IV the ancient City. It's dragon fight was also way better than the snore fest that was Kalameet.

Brume Tower had awesome vertical design and back tracking in just the right way. Also kinda reminded me of the Fire World from Shadow Tower. Also Fume Knight (Raime) and Sir Alonne are two of my favorite Souls Bosses. So much fun.

Eleum Loyce had some very Demons Souls-esq design-very much like the 1-1, with the whole traveling the outer castle wall. It has the most complex design of all three DLCs, with some really good use of level design once you melt the ice. Ivory King might just be the most awe inspiring boss fight of the whole souls series. That intro-and that Lost Izalith throw back.

Off topic but I face palm when I see fans trying to deny that Eleum Loyce was built over whats left of Izalith. "Old Chaos" helloooo?

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #287 on: November 05, 2015, 04:45:24 AM
Yeah, it's clearly built over Lost Izalith. The Ivory King fight arena was indeed clearly meant to evoke that area, with some hints of overgrowth around.

It's odd, in that sense, that the Ashen Idols of Brume Tower evoke a Chaos Witch more than anything in Eleum Loyce (Old Chaos aside). Makes me wonder if they did some repositioning of stage elements in the design phase.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #288 on: November 05, 2015, 04:56:50 AM
Yeah, it's clearly built over Lost Izalith. The Ivory King fight arena was indeed clearly meant to evoke that area, with some hints of overgrowth around.

It's odd, in that sense, that the Ashen Idols of Brume Tower evoke a Chaos Witch more than anything in Eleum Loyce (Old Chaos aside). Makes me wonder if they did some repositioning of stage elements in the design phase.

Not exactly.

"The Old Iron King began his days as a little-known and unestablished lord, with a lust for power and glory. He was approached by Sir Alonne, a great warrior from the east, who helped him forge a kingdom for himself from the old Kingdom of Venn. Doing so cost him what little resources he had, but in the process, he discovered an iron-producing miracle, which allowed him to freely shape and harness the powers of iron."

Brume Tower was a massive Forge, so the flame theme fits.

As for Eleum Loyce. The ice was created by Aslanna who froze the kingdom to keep the Chaos Flame sealed away, notice if you try to use a torch the curse puts it out right away. So it makes sense to only see fire type stuff deep below in the ruins of Lost Izalith.

Oh also outside the tree roots if you compare the stonework of the battle arena with Lost Izalith it's a match, obviously the city sunk into the lava completely over the countless years.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #289 on: November 05, 2015, 11:34:23 AM
I know what it ended up as... I'm just saying they might have had different plans at first :P Mainly because the Chaos Witches and Lost Izalith have such a strong connection.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #290 on: November 05, 2015, 02:06:26 PM
I know what it ended up as... I'm just saying they might have had different plans at first :P Mainly because the Chaos Witches and Lost Izalith have such a strong connection.

I know-just saying thats not the case. Izalith only factors into DLC 3. Besides it's less chaos flames and more smoke. Brume means mist or fog, and thats the effect the idols have around them-even their pyromancies are kinda black flame-esq. I doubt anything from Brume was ever meant to be in Frozen Eluem Loyce.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #291 on: November 06, 2015, 12:30:19 AM
Right... that's how it turned out, but as I said, I was just noting that there are similarities that may have been remnants from the design phase. For example:

1. The first Ashen Idol uses Outcry, a Dark Flame version of Chaos Storm. Chaos Storm, who's description says this:

"The chaos flame is said to have devoured the mother of pyromancy.
Create multiple pillars of chaos flame.

Those who sought great power were consumed by their own desires.Where are these lost souls now?"

2. Visually, there's some similarities. It may just be coincidence, but who knows with From.

Chaos Witch:

Ashen Idols:

Things can change drastically from conception to actual implementation(s). I've seen it happen in action so many times over the years. Whether that was ever in the cards or not, eh... only From knows. I was just having some fun examining it.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #292 on: November 06, 2015, 12:39:02 AM
It's possible of course I just don't think it's the case. I mean she's not the only daughter of manus to use pyromancies-and there have been NPCs in Dark Souls 1 and 2 to use chaos pyromancies and have no connection to the Witches.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #293 on: November 16, 2015, 04:11:16 AM
The ice was created by Aslanna who froze the kingdom to keep the Chaos Flame sealed away, notice if you try to use a torch the curse puts it out right away.

I kind of thought that was the 60 mile per hour wind howling around the area.  Torches work indoors, and outdoors after the blizzard dies down (once Aava is defeated, in other words).

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #294 on: November 16, 2015, 05:14:00 PM
Well that wind is the curse, torches working indoors yeah, but there are few areas where that is possible to be fair. Either way the blizzard/wind was to prevent the chaos and it's demons from escaping from the city into the world.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #295 on: December 05, 2015, 03:27:38 AM
It is done. Brave warrior Juan, the SL1, has completed his Dark Souls journey to Mount NG+7. \o/ All bosses killed in NG+max.

I was in NG+4, had to do 3 more runs. Like DeS, the difference from one NG+ to the next is small, but between +1 and +max it adds up considerably. And there's no better (worse) way to feel this difference than SL1. Certain attacks that wouldn't OHKO you suddenly do, and it's the opposite with your powers. That said, I still think that if you can beat SL1 NG+, you can beat NG+max.

Combined with Red Tearstone Ring, Great Combustion takes care of most enemies/bosses even in NG+max. Of course, cheap a-holes like Bed of Chaos are still cheap, but then there are bosses like Four Kings, who I have a greater respect for now that I know how to read them. The fact that you have to defeat 4K without getting hit only makes the fight more epic. There's still some unfair things about it, like getting sniped by an off-screen King, but at least I know how to handle 1v1 properly now. As I climbed the NG+s, I genuinely started to look forward to this fight.

O&S were the big roadblock in these last few runs, but strangely I didn't mind dying to them. This fight is clearly BS in these conditions anyway, so maybe I just accepted that and relaxed. It helps that fighting O&S means you got through the archers + lightning demons, who are such an enormous pain in the higher cycles. But yeah, O&S... I always knew I was 3-4 hits from winning the fight, since Great Fireball roasts Ornstein like he's not even there. And I knew eventually I'd get the God RNG and S wouldn't block O when I throw a decently timed fireball. The RTSR setup is easy, there isn't a lot of running to the boss gate... not much to hate about this scenario other than the brutal nature of the fight.

As for the DLC... Sanctuary Guardian and Artorias were simple enough. Lock, raise shield, punish. Manus and Kalameet were very difficult. They just have so much health and resistance that even knowing their pattern you eventually get trolled by a split second of bad luck. A bad camera angle, eaten inputs... it's all part of the endurance test here. The fights were really awesome, though. I'd do it again for sure.

The rest of the game was a series of tiny learning experiences. Killing Ingward with Heavy Crossbow + Binoculars instead of entering the House of 1000 Corpses... finding better RTSR setups... safer backtracking to boss gates... that kind of thing.

Had more fun than I thought I would, especially coming from my first attempt back then (almost gave up before I cleared NG). Officially retiring Juan in DkS1, though one day I may decide to revisit for fun. DkS2, though... bleh. I don't see myself doing SL1 NG+1, let alone all of them.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #296 on: December 07, 2015, 08:03:36 AM
Right... that's how it turned out, but as I said, I was just noting that there are similarities that may have been remnants from the design phase. For example:

1. The first Ashen Idol uses Outcry, a Dark Flame version of Chaos Storm. Chaos Storm, who's description says this:

"The chaos flame is said to have devoured the mother of pyromancy.
Create multiple pillars of chaos flame.

Those who sought great power were consumed by their own desires.Where are these lost souls now?"

2. Visually, there's some similarities. It may just be coincidence, but who knows with From.

Chaos Witch:

Ashen Idols:

Things can change drastically from conception to actual implementation(s). I've seen it happen in action so many times over the years. Whether that was ever in the cards or not, eh... only From knows. I was just having some fun examining it.
late reply is late- and take it for what it's worth, but Nashandra was originally supposed to be the Nito Reincarnation, which is why she's made of skeletons, and her general design evokes nothing of curse. The whole children of Dark plot seems to have been thought up later in development. And all 3 of the DLC's are from leftover and cut content, so thats why the chaos theme is a bit disjointed. I mean, stuff like Shulva was supposed to be accessed from Shrine of Amana, (which is why the enemies have that dragon theme and have the slumbering dragon shield and all that) And Brume Tower is basically From deciding to "do over" Iron keep, which we know got gutted the most horribly out of the stages that made it in.

So if you see chaos themes in both Brume and Loyce, and you feel that something doesnt quite line up, thats likely why.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #297 on: December 07, 2015, 06:09:56 PM
So Dark Souls III is going to be the last Souls game and Miazaki want's to drop the whole thing even spin offs like Bloodborne (unless the last game FROM needs to make for Sony is a bloodborne sequal? Demons Souls and Bloodborne were the first two exclusives obviously.)

Now interference from their publishers or sony could change that but I admit I'm getting burned out on souls lately-Bloodborne was pretty meh-and certainly not as repayable as Demons Souls and Dark Souls 1/2.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #298 on: December 07, 2015, 08:30:28 PM
I doubt it will be the last one forever. but for now, definitely. if we are to ever get another souls game, expect it to maybe happen in another decade if that. Miyazaki was very particular with his words- mostly the fact that the Souls games offer a very unique experience and view, so he doesnt want to pump them out regularly, since that cheapens their effect.

Personally i wouldnt mind a return to King's Field proper, although that probably falls under their souls type category, considering Demon's Souls was King's Field 5

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #299 on: December 07, 2015, 09:08:19 PM
As someone who's played all the KF and Shadow Tower games they pretty much are proto souls games-honestly I'd like a new IP at this point.