Dark Souls

Acid · 52540

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #200 on: February 06, 2015, 12:40:21 PM
I'm going to check out the new patch probably tomorrow. Looking forward to that new boss!

I really hope the PS3 load times are better like they promised...

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #201 on: February 06, 2015, 04:47:37 PM
Menu icons seem to load a little faster for sure, transition between locations seems a little faster but nothing amazing sadly. Then again the load times never bothered me that much, Dragon Age 3's on the PS3 are much much worse for example. 

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #202 on: February 06, 2015, 05:48:10 PM
maybe its just me, but the animation for using cracked orbs seems faster too.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #203 on: February 06, 2015, 05:53:59 PM
I really need to invade people more often. My Pyramid head build hasn't been used in awhile!  8D

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #204 on: February 07, 2015, 04:30:05 PM
Downloaded and finished the Scholar of the First Sin stuff in DkS2.

The new boss is pretty easy, kind of a relief after the DLC jerks. He's practically stationary, which I assume was a decision based on how he has only like one animation, haha. But yeah, everything he throws at you is fairly simple to avoid. The only attack I couldn't figure out how to dodge properly is easily blocked (fire bomb). I was in NG+4, but the bonfire was +5 because Nashandra had to be alive in order to trigger the new boss.

The new ending is nothing special, but I'm not a lore guy. I would have preferred an item or something.

The load times seem faster in some places and slower in others. When I open menus, icons take a while longer to appear, but I think loading areas in general is a little faster. Maybe it's just an impression. I will do a full playthrough one of these days and confirm.

I also bought the new ring but I don't plan on using it.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #205 on: February 09, 2015, 12:56:56 PM
Last night I ended up beating Darklurker and Ancient Dragon again on my main DkS2 file. I think they were the only main game bosses that were still alive in NG+3 (it was +3, not +4 as I said earlier). Learned a pretty cool defensive ring setup for Darklurker. His attacks aren't dealing that much damage now (aka no more OHKOs). I don't deal as much damage as I'd like, but whatever, that's DkS2 being DkS2.

Ancient Dragon was literally the same fight as always. And I can finally run past all the enemies before the boss. Saves some time when I die.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #206 on: February 19, 2015, 11:20:24 PM
Just tried to get back into Dark Souls 1 and duel some players, as I figured it was all try hards circling around for 1-shot back stabs with the occasional high level magic spam and everyone using the same weapons and armor. In short boring and frustrating. Thats WHEN the online decided to function correctly at all.

Dark Souls 1 is better than Dark Souls 2? Yeah bullshit.  8D

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #207 on: February 19, 2015, 11:44:17 PM
Online was the one thing DS2 did better than the first. Otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree :P

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #208 on: February 20, 2015, 12:35:46 AM
Online was the one thing DS2 did better than the first. Otherwise, we'll have to agree to disagree :P

Better controls, you forgot about that. Not moving and attacking like you are in slow motion. A dodge roll that works correctly like in Demons Souls. Oh they nerfed the horrid poise system. Does more than one thing better IMO.  8D

Edit: Maybe I'm being unfair to Dark Souls 1, it's a great game amazing even but I've beaten it 30+ times and it has nothing left to offer me in new experiences. It doesn't help that the only community left are the "try hards" who would rather min-max than experiment with fun weapon and armor combinations. In other words the online is basically dead outside of rare co-op.

In Demons Souls and Dark Souls II I'm still having fun, nothing feels like a chore and I encounter all sorts of players who are going about dueling like me. But I legitimately feel Dark Souls 1 is the weakest game in the series,both in design and in execution and I started with Dark Souls 1 so I'd like to think I'm a veteran player. I think thats all I'll say on the matter now that I vented.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #209 on: February 20, 2015, 04:35:09 AM
Ehh the rest of the stuff is debatable, hence why I kinda left it to only the online. It depends what the player wants to get out of the game.

Which leads me to my opinion. I'm going to be honest here, I'm not a fan of the online pvp in general in the series. I'll get that out of the way. It never felt solid to me, and rarely have I seen people experiment in the games.

The concept is good on paper; in execution it's kind of hit and miss. It's very rare that I have a duel that felt good, more often than not some technical issue drops in that makes it feel like someone was jipped out of a fair fight (whether it was my opponent or myself).

I guess this could be due to my playing the majority of the series on PC though, which has its own set of issues that the console versions most likely do not possess (different computer setups, whether someone is using DSFix or not which changes a bunch of settings, PC specific issues, and so on).

As far as controls... I dunno, I guess I kinda liked the slight clunkiness to it in DS1. You had to be a bit more deliberate with your approach, and it felt more planned out overall.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: February 20, 2015, 05:14:44 AM
It was odd going back to dark souls after playing the other two games so much, I think I just prefer the twitch reflex concept for dodging. As for varying builds, I see quite alot of different stuff in Dark Souls II when I put down my sign for dueling and even co-op. Demons Souls has less to work with but I don't see too many repeating builds.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: February 20, 2015, 10:27:51 PM
This whole past week I did a big SL1 playthrough of Dark Souls 2. All bosses defeated, including DLC + Aldia.

I'm proud of this one because it was quite tough for me. Everything that I dislike about this game is especially a problem in this kind of run. You heal too slow, stamina punishment is harsh, i-frames don't exist, hitboxes are all over the place, enemy tracking is unfair, and some of the bosses and enemy placement are definitely designed with resistance and leveling in mind (have fun @ Iron Passage if you guys ever try this challenge). I had a good time because Souls is always fantastic, but sadly that was my least favorite of the SL1s.

I do appreciate the DLCs more, though. Especially Sir Alonne, what a cool boss. <3

No idea what to do next in Souls. These past couple of months I did a LOT of stuff, from (almost) 100% inventory in DkS1 to a Hands of God playthrough of DeS. Really can't get enough of these games. :)

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #212 on: February 20, 2015, 10:53:31 PM
In Dark Souls II I've been doing alot of themed and cosplay builds.

Just did a Hyrule Warriors Zelda build after seeing a neat youtube video.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: February 20, 2015, 11:03:37 PM
Nice. :) I still haven't done themed runs in DkS2, except SL1 I guess. Gotta try 'em one of these days.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: February 20, 2015, 11:15:28 PM
I found it easiest to do so in Dark Souls II since it has the largest number of weapon and armor choices you are bound to find something that fits.

I believe the throne watcher armor set and Ivory King Crown worked well for the fashion souls elements. Her light magic can be filled by Miracles. Any of the better Rapiers for a weapon?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #215 on: February 20, 2015, 11:23:45 PM
If I were to try this franchise one day, where would I start?

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #216 on: February 20, 2015, 11:27:34 PM
Hard to say honestly. Each game is mostly self contained, I'd say Demons Souls or Dark Souls II personally. Dark Souls 1 can be a tough one to start out with since it's slower than the other two and has it's easy to wander into areas you are not ready for yet.

One thing you need have in your head is you will die, you will likely die a lot; take things slow don't treat this as a hack an slash and just fight smart and you'll succeed. 

Demons Souls and soon Bloodborne are PS3/4 exclusives, but Dark Souls 1 and 2 are on all systems. Avoid the PC version of Dark Souls 1 however as it's [parasitic bomb].

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: February 20, 2015, 11:45:15 PM
Okay, I'll keep all this in mind.

Thanks.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #218 on: February 21, 2015, 12:11:22 AM
One thing you need have in your head is you will die, you will likely die a lot; take things slow don't treat this as a hack an slash and just fight smart and you'll succeed. 

Demons Souls and soon Bloodborne are PS3/4 exclusives, but Dark Souls 1 and 2 are on all systems. Avoid the PC version of Dark Souls 1 however as it's [parasitic bomb].
As some who has been dabbing into Demon's Souls on my older brother's PS3 from time-to-time, I can attest to your statement. Not because I was trying to play it like a hack-and-slash, but because the game took me by surprise a couple of times.

-EDIT-
An "HD" version of Dark Souls II is coming out this year and people are already bitching about it (especially from the PC players)? Lovely.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #219 on: February 21, 2015, 12:12:37 AM
Being took by surprise is the joys of a first run through any souls games. I envy you.  O^O

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #220 on: February 21, 2015, 12:26:55 AM
I'd say go with Demon's Souls.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #221 on: March 06, 2015, 02:27:35 PM
100% inventory in DkS1. The last items I was missing were 3 armor sets that were pretty easy to obtain (Favor, Dingy and Paladin).

That was really fun. I will definitely revisit this file from time to time to help people online and just have fun with this character. :)

I want to redo my SL1 file in DkS1 because I missed a bunch of things that would've made it easier (and more fun). Maybe that'll be my next Souls project.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #222 on: March 09, 2015, 08:19:58 AM
Avoid the PC version of Dark Souls 1 however as it's [parasitic bomb].
It's still the best version. With DSFix you can set the framerate to 60, and downsample to fix the terribad resolution

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #223 on: March 09, 2015, 10:47:29 AM
I didn't have any issues with it at 30 FPS to be honest, and at least it remained stable during good ol Blighttown.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #224 on: March 09, 2015, 01:37:12 PM
It's still the best version. With DSFix you can set the framerate to 60, and downsample to fix the terribad resolution

It's really not.  XD