Dark Souls

Acid · 52317

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: January 07, 2015, 01:10:50 AM
Good news, bad news about my first attempt at a No Death run in Dark Souls 2.

Bad news first: well, I failed it. Very early into the run, even. I got knocked off a bridge in the Gutter by one of those exploding zombies (I honestly just forgot he existed).

The good news: I'm pretty confident that I can do this, even if I need to do it in NG+7 later. I was originally going to kill Rotten over and over for the SM requirement, but because I died, I ended up doing the four Great Soul paths. They were a piece of cake with my character. I did die a couple times, more so due to my lack of attention than any fight being extremely tough. Lost Sinner got destroyed by the Red Twinblade, which was a beautiful surprise (her lackeys died in just a couple of hits). Also, best news: not many deaths after opening Drangleic Castle.

At the end of NG+3 now, ready to enter +4, but with most of the current cycle open for exploration. I'll revisit some other time.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: January 08, 2015, 05:08:04 PM
My Demon's Great Hammer character is really fun so far, even on NG+++ I'm really destroying things with the two-handed strong attack.

Surprisingly fast when you use light attacks one-handed, I recommend it for anyone with a strength build; assuming you have enough strength and equip load to use it. It is quite an investment.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #177 on: January 11, 2015, 02:48:59 PM
Did anyone catch the Dark Souls 2 speedrun at AGDQ? It was pretty sweet.

The quest for 100% items in Demon's Souls is close to the end...

Main file, NG+8, almost done. I only need 3 of the 18-20 items I was missing when I started this run: Gargoyle Crossbow, Spiral Rapier (both rare drops in 3-2, will need PBWT), and the Broad Sword (1-2 merchant).

I had to kill human Selen Vinland for her armor, which brought my Character Tendency down a couple of points. So I turned that world PB, killed the Black Phantom there, and did the same in W2 to regain PWCT. I needed PBWT in W2 to farm Iron Knuckles anyway, so it worked out okay. Both worlds are back to PWWT with their Black Phantoms, Primeval Demons and bosses dead.

It feels so great to play this game after Dark Souls 2. Enemies are stupid in comparison, but in a good way. They don't track your movement like a fighting game's AI, and they're easier to read. And of course, hypermode obliterates everything.

I hope the gargoyle items don't take too long to farm.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: January 11, 2015, 04:45:24 PM
The only real issues I have with Demons Souls is it's garbage tendency and multiple player systems. It's so annoying having to commit suicide to get certain things over and over or just so I can be summoned again. I get the plot reasons but I'm glad they changed that in Dark Souls.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: January 11, 2015, 08:38:29 PM
Yeah, suiciding to trigger events is pretty dumb.

Do you see that second item that my character, Angry Josh Brolin, is staring at? Yeah, that took longer to farm than the Pure Bladestone. With PBWT and Large Sword of Searching.

I guess I would be okay with the odds if the run back wasn't so tedious. There are only 3 crossbow gargoyles in 3-2, and it takes two minutes to suicide, watch load screen, run back and get another chance vs. the closest guy. Got old pretty fast.

Also, notice the bottom right corner and how it doesn't say 8 million souls? That's how much this cost me. I lost my souls several times while backtracking to that one guy. It's not like you can't make souls fast in NG+7, but still, it's always a bummer to lose that many.

Anyway, 100% items! Woo. First Souls game where I got a full inventory. Time to finish the game.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: January 11, 2015, 11:37:01 PM
Funny thing is I got like five of those things on my older runs. Purestones were my bane though, I HATE crystal gekos in every souls game.  8D

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: January 11, 2015, 11:57:37 PM
I hate them more in Demon's Souls than anything, considering they have a semi-limited spawn count.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: January 12, 2015, 04:24:15 PM
They each spawn 3 times I believe? Then when you beat any of the bosses all the geckos have their spawns reset.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #183 on: January 12, 2015, 04:36:57 PM
I think it's 4 or 5 times total, counting post-boss spawns. The number is pretty low.

There's a trick if you didn't get what you wanted and you need another spawn. When the item prompt appears after you kill the lizard, you have a short window to quit via XMB before the game autosaves. Most of the time, that lizard will respawn and you get another shot.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: January 15, 2015, 06:16:34 AM
http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/622954747287715320/

Seems this is a full list of what the free update will bring. A new ring is added that when equipped will absorb all souls gained preventing Soul Memory from increasing, as well as broadening the range of soul memory and allowing NG players to interact with NG+ and beyond.

This patch fixes a good chunk of stuff that annoys me and if this is it for fixes thats not to shabby honestly. Also the idea of bonfires showing you how active online is in an area is kinda neat.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: January 15, 2015, 12:29:42 PM
Goddamn, that is one nice list of updates. I am impressed. Can't wait!

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #186 on: January 15, 2015, 06:12:38 PM
I really excited about the new NPC and the redone item descriptions,  can't wait to learn new stuff about the lore.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #187 on: January 17, 2015, 02:07:04 PM
Dark Souls, main file, NG+7. Not the most thorough quest for 100% inventory now, but I'm at least getting as much as I can.

Coming from Dark Souls 2, I feel so much more powerful in this game, even at max NG+ and SL125 (aka not 300 or whatever my SL is in DkS2). I used to have an issue with the Man-serpent Greatsword's speed, but it's doing the job so far. And <3 Gough's Greatbow. Just wish you could do more in terms of hypermode.

Paused right after beating O&S. I killed Ornstein last for his soul, and Jesus, does Dark Souls 2 make most DkS1 bosses a piece of cake. I was surprised at how fair this whole fight was compared to the sequel's OP hitboxes and gank squads.

I already killed Four Kings. Tanked them with Stone armor and MSGS spam + Power Within. Still not totally happy with this strat, but it is consistent at least. I just don't know how to fight these guys legit. My SL1 fight was a disaster.

I'll play up until Gwyn later and then I'll try to find/farm some weapons that I'm missing. I might do the DLC too.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #188 on: January 17, 2015, 03:46:49 PM
Wow, that was SO fast. At Gwyn already, took me less than an hour of gameplay.

I learned the best trick ever for cheesing Nito, which is great because he was usually a big pain in higher NG+s. Just equip Fog Ring and Slumbering Dragoncrest Ring and the skeletons won't wake up -- not even the small skeletons that always show up near where you land. Then run to the right of the landing area until you can get Nito's attention with arrows. I got lucky and he got stuck behind the central pillar so I just killed him with arrows. Really cool strategy. Bless the soul who posted this method on YouTube.

Bed of Chaos 1st try as well. Always feels good when you don't die to that a-hole. (I did die to Pinwheel, but no one has to know, right?)

Like I said before, I'm gonna stick around and explore, look for items I don't have, and maybe do the DLC + other optional bosses.

Had a great time with this run, damn. I should play my main file more often.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #189 on: January 17, 2015, 04:46:45 PM
Speaking of replaying old Souls games I really want to start a new Demons Souls run, I'm thinking of a pure mage build. You want to feel powerful play a full mage in Demons Souls, now that is power.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #190 on: January 18, 2015, 10:08:21 PM
Everything feels powerful in Demon's Souls. ;)

Finished Dark Souls NG+7.

Killed all remaining bosses plus DLC. It was great fun. I am definitely more comfortable with this difficulty than a few months ago when I cleared it for the first time.

Surprisingly close to 100% inventory too. Only need a talisman, 5 miracles and some pieces of armor. The talisman and miracles that I'm missing are all related to covenants, which I didn't want to touch this time around. Will get all that next time, for sure.

The last weapon I had to farm took the longest of all: Oolacile Catalyst. Wiki says it's a 0.5% drop, which is crazy considering that that enemy has another rare drop at 1%. Max item discovery didn't seem to help much. That was one tedious farming session.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #191 on: February 04, 2015, 04:31:59 PM
The patch for the PS3 and Xbox360 (likely the PC version too?)) is out, this is the new content and balancing by the way. Rumor is ontop of the new story we get a new final boss as well! Downloading as we speak!  8D

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #192 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:10 PM
I haven't heard that rumor.  I wouldn't put too much stock in it; from the coverage I've seen, From is holding back any significant content additions for the DX11 version.

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #193 on: February 04, 2015, 09:42:31 PM
Uhh..it's not a rumor it's a fact. The footage is on youtube right now.
Just look up "Scholar of the First Sin ending."

There is a completely new final boss and ending scene.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #194 on: February 05, 2015, 05:10:01 AM
Then why did you call it a rumor in the first place?

The Other Side

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #195 on: February 05, 2015, 05:17:36 AM
Bad choice of words, although I'm not sure how it's triggered. Some are saying he'll appear at the last two primal bonfires you visit while others are saying he'll first appear at the ones in the Gultch and in the room past the Duke's study.

Either way after that he'll pop up in certain areas until the end of the game where you are given a new final boss after Nashandra and a Dark Souls 1 esq ending choice.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #196 on: February 06, 2015, 01:38:35 AM
So this guy is a new NPC invader for the scholar rerelease

he seems like a guy who will invade you at several places, as the trailer for the rerelease shows him in Aldia's as well,

also, seems like it is basically the PC version with sharper textures, and slightly better lighting, in other words, it no longer has that disgusting grey filter over everything. Contrast seems upped.

Enemies and chests and loot has been entirely rearranged, as have been enemy positions, for example, there's now some swordsmen up on the pursuer's platform, along with loot, there's more clutter in the levels, like barrels, boxes, etc

A Pursuer seems to show up in things betwixt, probably in place of the second ogre,

Vengarl's body has been moved to Shaded woods, where it really SHOULD be, there seems to be Syan Knights now guarding King doors, apparently you will actually find Heide Knights at Heide's, there's a flexile sentry at Sinner's Rise,

and, the big one-

DARK AREAS ARE BACK

the game unfortunately does not look like it did in the demos and previews. but they at least brought back dark areas, which even the already downgraded network test game had.

new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abNBkRHCckQ

vaati's gameplay video, showcasing some new enemy placements for forest, and dark areas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg3vnui8OyQ

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #197 on: February 06, 2015, 03:24:10 AM
Just going to correct you on one point. Confirmed as I just finished the new content myself. I admit the new last boss is rather challenging.

The new NPC is not an invader, he'll show up at the last primal bonfire you reach, then again in the Undead Crypt and finally in the Dragon Shrine before finally appearing after Nashandra if you have already beaten Vendrick. You can talk to him to get some info on what Vendrick was trying to accomplish, and finally he's a new final boss.

This also adds the option to leave rather than link the flames for a new ending.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #198 on: February 06, 2015, 06:24:55 AM
Just going to correct you on one point. Confirmed as I just finished the new content myself. I admit the new last boss is rather challenging.

The new NPC is not an invader, he'll show up at the last primal bonfire you reach, then again in the Undead Crypt and finally in the Dragon Shrine before finally appearing after Nashandra if you have already beaten Vendrick. You can talk to him to get some info on what Vendrick was trying to accomplish, and finally he's a new final boss.

This also adds the option to leave rather than link the flames for a new ending.
I think you need to reread the post.

I didn't mention the Scholar because he's already part of the scholar patch for the "last gen" version.

Im talking strictly Scholar rerelease.

That said, I'll correct myself- if im remembering right, the new NPC Invader, named Forlorn, will, according to From/Bamco, invade you anytime, anywhere.

basically, Pursuer's original concept.

Some more screenshots, including 2 shots of Forlorn

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Worth noting, is the fact that enemies will now chase you forever. So if you aggro a crowd, you can't just run away till they de-aggro and move back to their spots, they will chase you all the way to the ends of the level.

Also

http://a.pomf.se/fhldhu.webm

I hope there's more details like this, I was surprised to see it

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #199 on: February 06, 2015, 07:04:08 AM
Ah your post makes it seem like you are talking about the only new NPC in the main update.

The Pursuer being in more places is always good, they still haven't fixed it's soul description in the patch however. It should roughly says the Pursuer was basically one of many undead hunting weapons, hence why you see another in the Iron Keep and two in Vendrick's throne room, rather than some one off warrior. Oh well.