It's dead, Jim.

Sparky · 58453

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: July 27, 2011, 12:08:02 AM
Lol, stupid Yellow people...

Also, I am going to assume English isnt his primary language.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #126 on: July 27, 2011, 12:55:53 AM
Food for thought:

Capcom may be comparing Legends 3 to Legends 2. In by judging the sales of Legends 2 to not warrant another game. Thinking about it, and the immense dev room response and the reports of fans everywhere being up in arms across the whole internet, including devs. This doesn't add up. So it came to me;

Capcom I believe has discounted the player base, by simply comparing numbers to that of Legends 2's sales. In reality, both of the games have been out and about for 10 years. Being borrowed, handed down, re-sold, rented, and emulated I think it's safe to presume the fan base is much larger than the initial sales numbers, because many more people have played it in the last 10 years by other means.

Just my two cents.
It's probably also worth noting that, to people looking to the e-Shop for relief from a 3DS software draugth, the Prototype Version could find its way to new customers on the grounds of being the only native 3DS game on the service.

There's STILL no actual 3DS games up there.  Just 3D Classics, Virtual Console, and DSi.

I know I've personally pushed off Legends to a dozen or more of people who never had a PSX or never was able to find it, or never would have tried it normally.

In fact, I never purchased a copy of either game at the time. I honestly never found them for sale, or knew much about them at the time they came out. All the copies I've played were rentals, and ultimately, as much as I hate to admit it, burned disks (I had a mod chip). I just could never find it for sale new, since I missed the window of launch.

Most of this can be attributed to me being a late adopter of the PSX. I never got it when it first came out. X4 and Legends being the reason I eventually got it, after I was showed the games by a friend.
The fact that I fell fanatically in love with Legends is probably the only reason I own legitimate discs.  I (or rather, my big brother) got a PSX in decent time for L2, but I had to search nowhere-near-local indie shops for L1 (no manual), and managed to snag Misadventures off of a bargain rack.

This makes it all the more irritating that Legends is for some reason failing Capcom's IP-checks for re-release.  Even to people who genuinely want to backtrack, it is exceedingly difficult to do.

I dunno how related this could be, but...

They canned MML3 but want to re-release this? I just hope this had been decided beforehand...
I'm sure it was.  Classic is the most "marketable" series in terms of brand name recognition.  We saw what happened with Wii's VC, after all.

Which kinda sucks for me, being an Xtreme2 fan...

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline slayer

• War-Pig
  • Robot Master
  • Mavericks are for pussies...real men kill Aliens
    • View Profile
    • MY fan thingys , help me overcome my fear to show my draws please
Reply #127 on: July 27, 2011, 01:21:58 AM
We can do without the racism, thanks.

And i can barely comprehend your statement.

ups.... sorry about that , yea i was stupid,  :-[
sorry sorry

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: July 27, 2011, 01:28:07 AM
What I don't get is why Capcom missed a very good oppurtunity to build comsumer base. I mean MML3 may or maynot sell to well but at least they can draw in new fans and then surprise them with MM11 or something. Things got screwed up when the Inafking left the company or even before that tried to "americanize" the company.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: July 27, 2011, 01:36:24 AM
The fact that I fell fanatically in love with Legends is probably the only reason I own legitimate discs.  I (or rather, my big brother) got a PSX in decent time for L2, but I had to search nowhere-near-local indie shops for L1 (no manual), and managed to snag Misadventures off of a bargain rack.

This makes it all the more irritating that Legends is for some reason failing Capcom's IP-checks for re-release.  Even to people who genuinely want to backtrack, it is exceedingly difficult to do.

Capcom should check some of the prices on Ebay and Amazon for these damn games to see how sought after they are. ESPECIALLY L2. Legends 2 beats out even Symphony of the Night in terms of price ranges. Symphony usually caps at around $80something, 100 at most, and can be bought for as low as 20 bucks. Legends 2? Starts at around $50, and caps at around $300.

300! Thats pretty expensive.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #130 on: July 27, 2011, 11:35:41 AM
That doesn't really mean anything considering huge pieces of [parasitic bomb] like Cheetahmen go for similarly high prices due to simply being rare.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: July 27, 2011, 12:27:28 PM
Things got screwed up when the Inafking left the company or even before that tried to "americanize" the company.
He was trying to "American-ise" Capcom for a genuine reason. He himself said that the Japanese market is afraid of (and suffering because they weren't fully taking advantage of) digital downloads and in turn, microtransactions; that remark was aimed at Capcom Co., but applies to other Japanese studios too.

If anything, that still applies now as Capcom made the choice to suspend not one, but two games in the last few months, one of which was definitely a digital title. I'm unsure if their cited "criteria" echoes what Inafune said before, but it's food for thought.

Personally, I think that they're being (extremely) cautious now with the brand. DASH3 was the first new game in a while, considering how the last few games (Operate Shooting Star, ZERO Collection) were financial failures. Putting up older games on Virtual Console is, at the moment, a safe move.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: July 27, 2011, 01:43:10 PM
Those two wouldn't be failures if they had put more effort into them. OSS was just a BN1 port with 1 extra scenario and playable Subaru...BN1 is still a bland game so ofcourse noone would buy it. Zero collection had it a bit better..but it was still just a collection of the 4 games with no extra content (Art that was around for years? EASY mode?!). So yeah.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: July 27, 2011, 01:58:33 PM
I'd never really played the earlier Battle Network games that much, so I enjoyed playing OSS because i never played the original.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: July 27, 2011, 02:06:50 PM
Well..you did. Since they didn't change anything in OSS.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: July 27, 2011, 02:57:57 PM
That doesn't really mean anything considering huge pieces of [parasitic bomb] like Cheetahmen go for similarly high prices due to simply being rare.
Except Cheetamen is sought after BECAUSE it's so [parasitic bomb].

the reason that games like this are expensive, is not only because they are rare, but because there is demand for them. people WANT to get their hands on these games, and since they are harder to find, rare, they prices skyrocket. otherwise you could find other rare games that just aren't worth that much because people arent interested in buying them.

If Legends 2 is expensive, it is because people really want to get their hands on a copy, particularly a new copy.

And with Legends 3, one can imagine that Legends 1 and 2 saw an increase in demand. Legends 1 isnt as rare, so it doesnt get so expensive. And people really just want Legends 2 a whole lot more.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: July 27, 2011, 03:34:40 PM
Well..you did. Since they didn't change anything in OSS.
There were things like the Custom screen being changed to later games' (which meant the Escape chip being removed), elemental armors were removed to accomodate for S.S.Rockman (big change in folders for Rockman but made SSR obviously broken), and Uranet naming was introduced into the maps. There's probably more things if I looked it up.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #137 on: July 27, 2011, 03:34:52 PM
It's tough to say with the Cheetah Men comparisson. The game's only limited to NES collectors, since it was technically unreleased. Despite its rarity, many gamers want it purely to say they have a complete set. That being said Legends is an uncommon game, but I'd be willing to bet that it has more to do with it being a standout title. Just like a lot of Super NES games that sold well actually go for surprisingly high prices just because they're so coveted.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:36 PM
Megaman games are hard to find in PAL regions aswell >_>'
Only PSX game I saw here was X6, and that was a rental. Local indie stores are the way to go, for sure: got X8 from one. But, most of my retail Megaman games are from the UK, except X7 (with a nostalgia trip G8+ rating printed on the cover!) along with MHX and MMPU.

That said, the only Legends I played was Megaman 64 via emulator. Still, it's because of here that I know of Legends, wish I were more grateful haha.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #139 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:07 PM
I blame that on poor promotion... if anyone can tell Mega Man really isn't high on Capcom Europe's priorities.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: July 27, 2011, 04:13:53 PM
Except Cheetamen is sought after BECAUSE it's so [parasitic bomb].

the reason that games like this are expensive, is not only because they are rare, but because there is demand for them. people WANT to get their hands on these games, and since they are harder to find, rare, they prices skyrocket. otherwise you could find other rare games that just aren't worth that much because people arent interested in buying them.

If Legends 2 is expensive, it is because people really want to get their hands on a copy, particularly a new copy.

And with Legends 3, one can imagine that Legends 1 and 2 saw an increase in demand. Legends 1 isnt as rare, so it doesnt get so expensive. And people really just want Legends 2 a whole lot more.
Well... yes? The thing is, it still doesn't tell Capcom much about how high the demand for L3 would be.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #141 on: July 27, 2011, 06:57:23 PM
Don't the fans do that? Oh right, Capcom Europe. -AC

Anyways, Legends 3 would be a very unorthodox sequel in the amount of time that has past since the last game. More fans have had the chance to see it, and its definately gained interest after the internet. All-in-all judging sales by something so outdated isn't very accurate. Which is why the prototype version is was such a good idea.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: July 27, 2011, 06:59:56 PM
Well... yes? The thing is, it still doesn't tell Capcom much about how high the demand for L3 would be.

Then what was the whole deal with putting in so many Legends cameos? Tron, Volnutt and the Servbots had mroe camoes in non mega man games than Zero and Rock combined.. What more does Capcom need to convince them to make L3?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: July 27, 2011, 07:36:46 PM
If L2 goes for high prices like that, It means there are people who liked it. People who WANT it, and if there is so much demand for L2, then what does that say about L3?

I blame that on poor promotion... if anyone can tell Mega Man really isn't high on Capcom Europe's priorities.

Its not like his promotion is much better in the US.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02:17 PM
Or..anywhere really.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #145 on: July 27, 2011, 08:42:58 PM
That was just a reference to Capcom Europe's views on it all. I think they do have it worse over there, but currently, Capcom has killed Mega Man everywhere.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #146 on: July 27, 2011, 10:42:32 PM
Or..anywhere really.
Japan still has better Mega Man promotion than everywhere else, has always HAD better promotion, and probably always will.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: July 27, 2011, 10:50:06 PM
If L2 goes for high prices like that, It means there are people who liked it. People who WANT it, and if there is so much demand for L2, then what does that say about L3?
What I was saying is that the demand for rare copies of an old famous game does not give a good indicator of the demand for a new addition to the series, since it wouldn't be old, famous, or rare.
Then what was the whole deal with putting in so many Legends cameos? Tron, Volnutt and the Servbots had mroe camoes in non mega man games than Zero and Rock combined.. What more does Capcom need to convince them to make L3?
I think that was just Capcom hauling in the money from those Legends fans who were so keen to get recognition that they'd support even marginally related products.

Offline Slash Man

• Resistance Member
  • NES Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Mega Stuff
Reply #148 on: July 27, 2011, 10:57:46 PM
Japan still has better Mega Man promotion than everywhere else, has always HAD better promotion, and probably always will.
You've also got to consider the fan base there.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: July 27, 2011, 11:10:42 PM
Man this debate takes me back.

Back to the time of ZX/ZXA when everyone was talking about how Capcom didn't like the sales outside of Japan.