Tomorrow is E3! RPM Discusses & Speculates

Jericho · 21602

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 07:35:05 AM
Oh I don't believe anything yet! I'm just having fun imagining!  8)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 08:19:52 AM
Well, then lets start having fun imagining why the 3DS update was delayed to be just right before the conference. An idea I read that I liked, what if they stream the conference to the 3DS in, well, 3D? That'd be awesome.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 08:21:45 AM
Extreme Sports Cafe? Needs sum Pilotwings.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 08:22:30 AM
Well, then lets start having fun imagining why the 3DS update was delayed to be just right before the conference. An idea I read that I liked, what if they stream the conference to the 3DS in, well, 3D? That'd be awesome.

That would be pretty awesome. I'm also hoping that Nintendo World has the broadcast of it as well.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 08:39:40 AM
Also, if we're fantasizing, how about sum StarTropics? And the Epic Games title could be a Jazz Jackrabbit game. And how about Golden Sun Cafe? Even though Camelot is conspicously absent from that list.

And I look forward to screenies of Paper Zelda, if it exists.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 01:00:28 PM
Sonic Cafe (Sonic Generations?)

Im pretty sure thats was announced as a 360/ps3 game

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 01:21:28 PM
Im pretty sure thats was announced as a 360/ps3 game

Yeah.

And Mikami said he'll commit suicide if Resident Evil 4 got ported to anything but the PS2.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 01:31:52 PM
If any consolation, the Wii Edition was mostly from the PS2 port.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 02:20:50 PM
NeoGAF rumors? I'll take them with a whole shaker of salt.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 03:42:41 PM
My point was that if it's Sonic generations ported over to the Cafe, then why not just call it Generations?
It COULD be a completely new Sonic game.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 01:01:33 AM
Let's see, what do I speculate and look forward to at this year's E3...

• Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
  • Upcoming games for 3DS
  • if it's a late Summer release, hopefully Skullgirls might be on the show floor, get some inside scoop on the game so far, and people might be able play a newer demo over there
  • Nintendo's next console rumored to be more powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360 (I'll start believing it once I see it in action)
  • The new Resident Evil game
  • Dust: An Elysian Tail if it makes the show floor
  • Mega Man Legends 3 (Please let me see how the development is going so far with the game! D: )
  • Sonic Generations
  • Zelda: Skyward Sword (because it needs to be on my list of speculations)

I think I've got my bases covered for now.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 01:54:04 AM
Except for the fact that MMU was canceled.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #37 on: May 13, 2011, 02:13:47 AM
Well, [tornado fang]. I've been living under a rock for too long to not even know about that... -AC

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 04:33:36 AM
I think the fact that Viper didn't notice goes a way as to saying WHY MMU was cancelled...  Really, how much buzz can a MM2 remake get when the last two sequels were already made in its image?

• Nintendo's next console rumored to be more powerful than PS3 and Xbox 360 (I'll start believing it once I see it in action)
It's no far stretch; Cafe will probably be "marginally" more powerful than 360/PS3 in the same way that the Wii is more powerful than the Gamecube (translation: many games will look worse than 360/PS3 due to half-assed development, regardless of system capabilities).

The 360/PS3 aren't the cutting edge of futureproof technology that many people seem to think.  One of the main lines of reasoning behind the 360 successor rumors is that they're lagging behind PC gaming again in terms of techno capabilities, and those devs are-a-bitchin about it.  They want to strut their stuff, and outside of the PC, they can't.
IGN touched on that a few days back.  http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/116/1167019p1.html

I have to admit, though, I really question where the gaming industry is going in the next console generation.  I don't see a new generation sustaining itself if the demand is coming solely from developers and not from the players, which is what seems to be happening.  Nintendo has it a bit easier in terms of public perception (and harder with the 3rd parties, as usual) on account of their being behind weaker tech than their competitors (certainly nobody would say that the DS didn't need the power upgrade; they just need to get their ducks in a row with software).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 06:04:52 AM
The issue I see with future generations of consoles, is that they certainly wont be getting any cheaper. As the technology becomes more and more new, and more and the consoles cost more to make, their prices will go up. And up. And up.

Wouldnt surprise me if some day in the future we begin to get consoles with the same price ranges as new computers.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 15, 2011, 07:56:37 AM
Well, the consoles nowadays basically are computers in many ways, after all.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 08:21:17 AM
The issue I see with future generations of consoles, is that they certainly wont be getting any cheaper. As the technology becomes more and more new, and more and the consoles cost more to make, their prices will go up. And up. And up.

Wouldnt surprise me if some day in the future we begin to get consoles with the same price ranges as new computers.

Honestly, this is why I actually applaud what Nintendo did with the Wii. They held off on the high end stuff for now because despite what a lot of nerds/techies might think, HD Flatscreens and such were not as common as people think when the Wii first came out. They made their Wii Fortune, brought in a whole new crowd, and now HDTV's are totally integrating their way into the homes, plus parts are most likely cheaper to make. So now, they can probably make a much more powerful system for much much less than the $600 original PS3 asking price!

The real trick will be seeing if they can not only draw back some of the crowd they lost as well as keep the crowd they gained. I think the latter will be harder than the former. Wii shall sii though.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 15, 2011, 06:33:43 PM
Sometimes I wonder whether Nintendo actually plans ahead or if they truly leave their luck to the heavens.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #43 on: May 15, 2011, 07:44:04 PM
I'm sure they plan more than we think.  As completely ludicrous as their ideas come off, they are a games-exclusive company, meaning they have less room for error than Sony and Microsoft.  Which really, I believe, is WHY they took to a different direction with the Wii.  If S&M were game-exclusive companies as well, I don't think they would have survived this console generation.  They saw some tremendous hardware issues in their early days; Sony with cost (which later took its toll on compatibility) and Microsoft with build quality.  And I think Nintendo was well aware of the fact that it was simply impossible for them to go along that same path.  If they had released a $600 Blu-Ray Wii HD in 2006, they'd have been toast.  Whether the third party devs want to admit it or not, it was the best thing Nintendo could do for their survival in the industry.

Oh, it's already happened, it's just that we're provided with alternatives.

Really, though, game systems are NEVER as powerful as PCs besides maybe the day they come out.  I think the fact that devs are using that as their benchmark for gauging the need for new gaming-specific hardware is going to get them into trouble.  Yes, we're at the "typical length" of a console life cycle.  Yes, the issues that make big-budget PC gaming such a hellhole for the devs haven't gone away.  But you know, consoles hit some pretty big budget concerns when last-gen kicked off, both hardware and development, and that's not going to go away either.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Archer

Reply #44 on: May 15, 2011, 08:18:31 PM

PS3 - $599 launch

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: May 15, 2011, 08:21:04 PM
I'm sure they plan more than we think.  As completely ludicrous as their ideas come off, they are a games-exclusive company, meaning they have less room for error than Sony and Microsoft.  Which really, I believe, is WHY they took to a different direction with the Wii.  If S&M were game-exclusive companies as well, I don't think they would have survived this console generation.  They saw some tremendous hardware issues in their early days; Sony with cost (which later took its toll on compatibility) and Microsoft with build quality.  

Yeah, and hell, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't MS and Sony in the red when it came to their consoles for years? No way they could've survived that if they weren't, well, MS and Sony.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: May 15, 2011, 09:48:01 PM
Sometimes I wonder whether Nintendo actually plans ahead or if they truly leave their luck to the heavens.

I'd say it's a good mixture of the two. A lot about this current gen speaks volumes towards that idea.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 15, 2011, 11:58:34 PM
Yeah, and hell, correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't MS and Sony in the red when it came to their consoles for years? No way they could've survived that if they weren't, well, MS and Sony.

And we'll see how Sony does after the PSN lawsuits start a-comin'

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: May 16, 2011, 03:22:36 AM
PS3 - $599 launch
Yeah. Pretty much. Except Im starting to imagine higher.

Actually, now that i remember, there have been costly consoles in the past which flopped due to price. One that comes to mind is the 3DO, with it's $699 price tag in Pctober 1993, which didnt go down until near it's death in March 94.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: May 16, 2011, 09:50:05 AM
Don't forget the Neo-Geo~