Wii 2: Nintendo begins the E3 Hype

Protoman Blues · 24752

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: May 02, 2011, 07:43:33 AM
I really wasn't there that long to be honest. About 6 months before they went 'economy tanked' mode and axed half the department. New guys get cut first, me among that group.

I suppose I did learn a lot in those 6 months though.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: May 02, 2011, 07:59:51 AM
6 months is a hell of a lot more than no months.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #177 on: May 06, 2011, 10:41:36 PM

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: May 07, 2011, 05:17:07 AM
I almost don't feel a need for a new console after the PS3 and 360. They both feel like they have a while to go yet before being replaced. I always use to look forward to the next generation of console, but to be honest this last generation felt like it didn't need to be replaced already.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #179 on: May 07, 2011, 05:31:48 AM
It seems to me that the Wii and DS are being replaced more due to demand by developers than by players.  I don't think that same demand is there for PS3/360 successors, which pretty much leaves their main reason for updating as "steal Nintendo's thunder".

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #180 on: May 07, 2011, 07:09:40 AM
If that rumor is even true.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #181 on: May 07, 2011, 07:39:13 AM
Microsoft and Sony have no reason to go further just yet, considering how they extended the life of their consoles with their respective motion control.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #182 on: May 07, 2011, 08:13:58 AM
It seems to me that the Wii and DS are being replaced more due to demand by developers than by players.  I don't think that same demand is there for PS3/360 successors, which pretty much leaves their main reason for updating as "steal Nintendo's thunder".

I think it's more in line with the typical Nintendo strategy. Whereas Sony & Microsoft have other divisions that make money for them, Nintendo just focuses on gaming alone, so when one of their systems starts to drop in sales, it's time for the next. Personally, I think Nintendo made the right call with the Wii in the first place. Now HD is much more mainstream, accessible, and possibly cheaper to develop, they can release a more powerful console for less of the cost and hopefully bring all the people they gained with the Wii over to the Nintenterprise.

Microsoft rushing out a system is pretty much what got them in trouble with the 360 and the [acid burst] poor god awful hardware it first started out with, so hopefully they are a lot more careful this time around with their next system. I think they want to do it cause Nintendo has the Nintenterprise and Sony has the NGP.

As for Sony.....I honestly don't know what's going to become of them. Due to the PSN debacle, they could have some seeeeeeerious lawsuits coming their way, and they need the NGP to actual make a profit, and quite frankly I don't see how it can. I don't see how that system is going to be under $350 at the launch date and besides the hardcore gamers & tech nerds, I don't see anyone buying it.

But we'll see at E3.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #183 on: May 07, 2011, 03:18:09 PM
Microsoft likely doesn't give a damn if they get themselves into trouble in their gaming division, seeings how Windows is their cash-cow ("reliability", whether in hardware or software, really isn't their strongest point).  Many believe that they entered the gaming scene mainly because they thought that Sony releasing a Linux-capable gaming console would threaten them.

And ah, the NGP.  I'm sure it'll be "respectable" as the PSP was.  But really, I find it funny how many people complain about the 3DS pricing when we all know there's no way in hell the NGP will be any better.  Same goes for battery life, assuming the level of wireless activity between the two is comparable (3DS is heavy on that, but you can shut it off).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #184 on: May 07, 2011, 05:44:48 PM
But does that mean that they will not support the Wii online anymore?

I had yet to get any Wiiware or VC but there are less than 'legitimate methods to get those.  -_-

And ah, the NGP.  I'm sure it'll be "respectable" as the PSP was.  But really, I find it funny how many people complain about the 3DS pricing when we all know there's no way in hell the NGP will be any better.  Same goes for battery life, assuming the level of wireless activity between the two is comparable (3DS is heavy on that, but you can shut it off).

Battery Like has always been the strongsuit of most Nintendo portables, I mean you can get 8 hours of battery on the Gameboy handhelds and you can shut it off anytime you wish without worrying about power. I am not sure about NGP or PSP but I do know that Nintendo had always been about quality when it comes to portables.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #185 on: May 07, 2011, 10:38:36 PM
Microsoft likely doesn't give a damn if they get themselves into trouble in their gaming division, seeings how Windows is their cash-cow ("reliability", whether in hardware or software, really isn't their strongest point).  Many believe that they entered the gaming scene mainly because they thought that Sony releasing a Linux-capable gaming console would threaten them.

I agree, but if their next system has the same troubles as the original 360 release did, then people might not jump on it until their new new system comes out.

And ah, the NGP.  I'm sure it'll be "respectable" as the PSP was.  But really, I find it funny how many people complain about the 3DS pricing when we all know there's no way in hell the NGP will be any better.  Same goes for battery life, assuming the level of wireless activity between the two is comparable (3DS is heavy on that, but you can shut it off).

Right now I think they have bigger things to worry about than the NGP, but yeah I agree.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile