A noob trying to play PS1 imports and "backups", help please.

OKeijiDragon · 5664

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Anyone here on Rockman Perfect Memories on the PlayStation importing scene? I'd like some help.

The purpose here is to play burned PS1 discs like that Rockman 8 prototype, and to play my real copies of Rockman DASH, and Biohazard on my PlayStation 2 Slim SCPH-70001 and PSone consoles. I understand there are "creative" methods to accomplish this.

The most common ones I find on the internet are using a sort of double disc swapping method that involves a real PS1 disc and a burned/imported one, and you have to repeatedly swap them both in a timed, instant fashion. Which I have tried doing that with just my PSone console many, many times to no luck. I find it to be complicated and stupid, and I'm sick of trying that.

Another is actually opening up your console (PS2 or PSone), and soldiering mod-chips into the console. I'm willing to do that with just my PSone console, but I ain't tampering with my PS2 Slim. It looks complicated, but it does sound fun to experiment, though.

Finally, and possibly the most costly, is buying one of those Breaker Pro discs for $20 USD which "allows playing PS-One import games and backup games on PS-One and PS2 game console without any internal modification". Sounds exactly what I want. With it, you only have to swap a disc once and not have to rush, unlike the first method mention above. I don't know if it scam, though. It does sound too good to be true.

I also have Action Replay for PS1, and Action Replay MAX for PS2. Could I use those?

Do you recommend that I invest on a Breaker Pro disc, or is there some other unlisted method that I haven't touched upon or don't know about?

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Honestly, I'd recommend the Breaker Pro. 20 bucks isn't too bad if you plan to use this alot and it's definitely going to be one of the easier methods you'll come across. I've tried plenty, trust me :P Makes me wish I had the Breaker Pro.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Sorry to say this, but doesn't this belong in the emulation section? Would somebody please move it?

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Yea, I've had experience doing the disc swapping trick before. It takes some practice to do it, but it'll work once you get it down. The only con about it is you'll probably scratch up the real disc while you're swapping and make it unreadable, which is why I bought a few PSX games for less than $3 at the local flea market.

However, I've recently had a problem with it. It doesn't work anymore with my playstation.

I'm not sure about the Breaker Pro, I've heard if you have the gameshark port in the back and plugged the gameshark in it, you could swap fairly easily. I myself tried to do it with an action replay, but when I swapped the disc it wouldn't load or read.

There's also a CD called PS-X-Change, that you just let the disc run and it'll tell you when to swap the disc. Not sure on the validity on this source, though.

Modchipping would probably be the best way to ensure that you can play imports/burned games.

To me, burning the discs can seem aggravating, because if it isn't perfect, it'll be hard to play the game. You may have to experiment a few times in order to get it right.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Yea, I've had experience doing the disc swapping trick before. It takes some practice to do it, but it'll work once you get it down. The only con about it is you'll probably scratch up the real disc while you're swapping and make it unreadable, which is why I bought a few PSX games for less than $3 at the local flea market.

However, I've recently had a problem with it. It doesn't work anymore with my playstation.

I'm not sure about the Breaker Pro, I've heard if you have the gameshark port in the back and plugged the gameshark in it, you could swap fairly easily. I myself tried to do it with an action replay, but when I swapped the disc it wouldn't load or read.

There's also a CD called PS-X-Change, that you just let the disc run and it'll tell you when to swap the disc. Not sure on the validity on this source, though.

Modchipping would probably be the best way to ensure that you can play imports/burned games.

To me, burning the discs can seem aggravating, because if it isn't perfect, it'll be hard to play the game. You may have to experiment a few times in order to get it right.

What he said about the disk swapping, It works fine with my PSX Copies, at the cost of a copy of Spyro 3, which whole levels have apparently been wiped off the disc, I can't even get the damn thing to run with a memory card (It says its corrupted, which is total bullshit.).

With PS2 games I just use a Swap Magic.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Swap Magic IS the best way to go with PS2 games. In terms of PS1 games, I actually think a modded PS1 is pretty easy to find and buy. I bought mine for 30 bucks.

Offline OKeijiDragon

• B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
In terms of PS1 games, I actually think a modded PS1 is pretty easy to find and buy. I bought mine for 30 bucks.
I'd love to buy a pre-modded one myself, but I still don't know a good place to by those from.

Posted on: March 21, 2011, 00:34:27
So I tried that constant disc swap trick on my PSone (previously I just experimented on my obsoleted-ass PSX from 1995), and...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riy_ImxhIr4&[/youtube]

Looks like I'm finally gonna record high-quality video on those Rockman and BioHazard trials and prototypes after all. =)

Stay tuned on some videos about said prototypes from yours truly in the near future.