Japan has been hit by a massive earthquake.

IQ-0 · 23194

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:24 AM
Holy smokes apparently a nuclear power plant has started leaking >_>

And people in Cali should be careful =O Also has anyone checked to see if the majority of Capcom is okay~?

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: March 12, 2011, 07:16:33 AM
I hear that the Easter Island might be hit by the tsunami, hopefully things will turn out well, I'd rather not drown, not when I got a new house.
As for those who have been hit, I wish you a fast and safe recovery.

Wait, you live on Easter island?

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Kit

• #1 wizard of disappearing
  • Master's Unit
  • hue
    • View Profile
    • Art stuff
Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 07:52:04 AM
I saw on the news that Cesium is being detected in the nuclear power plants that were hit.

This is not good.

they dont think it be like it is but it do

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Magic Everywhere In This Bitch
  • Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: March 12, 2011, 09:37:44 AM
It's being reported that the pressure in the No 1 Reactor in Fukushima has been successfully released, averting the nuclear meltdown scenario.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: March 12, 2011, 11:11:14 AM
I have no idea where you get your news from but from what I've heard the reactor at Fukushima just suffered an explosion (Not the reactor itself, but something else) an hour ago, and now, instead of just coolant leaking out of it there's radioactive stuffs leaking out.

So um, yeah, nuclear meltdown sorta happening. =\

(The reactor itself can't explode, but this leak is part of the worse case scenario...yeah...)

This ain't good -o-

Posted on: March 12, 2011, 08:06:57 PM
Also random info with nowhere to go:

The quake shifted the earth's axis by 10 inches
There are like 125 aftershocks of the quake every 10 minutes that measure over 5.0
When the tsunami hit Cali, 2 (? I have terrible memory) surfers died trying to take a photo of the wave/trying to ride the waves before the tsunami (U MAD) and one guy slipped off a cliff whilst watching.
Nintendo are okay =w=b

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 12:05:43 PM
(The reactor itself can't explode
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4uogOEUrU[/youtube]
Part of it did. Not like a nuke, but...

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 12:07:06 PM
I have no idea where you get your news from but from what I've heard the reactor at Fukushima just suffered an explosion (Not the reactor itself, but something else) an hour ago, and now, instead of just coolant leaking out of it there's radioactive stuffs leaking out.

So um, yeah, nuclear meltdown sorta happening. =\
Consider the time differences.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 12:28:05 PM
...Hm, my time zone on the forum is 1 hour off from my computer's clock. My mistake. Because from my perspective you had posted half an hour before me, not an hour and a half :V

Basically, a repeat of Chernobyl is impossible due to the reactor's design. :V

Sigh, better fix up my clock...> 3>

Offline Gotham Ranger

• Master's Unit
  • Ooo, shiny~
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 12:37:28 PM
If anything, it'll be a Three Mile Island scenario.

Edit: Watching a stream from Japan, the explosion was in the outside layer of protection of the reactor, not inside the reactor itself.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 12:59:09 PM

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 01:19:46 PM
i-is that a cat? ; ;

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 01:21:48 PM
Yep.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 01:23:58 PM
I hope it was saved

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 02:11:51 PM
I hope it was saved
I don't want to sound like a heartless [dark hold]...
...but I don't think saving cats is the highest priority right now. : <
Unfortunately, poor cat.

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 03:05:01 PM
Wait, you live on Easter island?
Oh, no, I was just worried for it's inhabitants.
Minimal casualties, minimal casualties..
Hoping Black Cat-san can somehow make a miraculously save itself.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 03:20:55 PM
Man first the tsunami hits Japan, a nuclear plant is struck. My mother said this earthquake is going to hit other countries too, and my country, Ecuador, could be next in line.

I'm definitely donating money to support these people.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 10:19:34 PM
Well, it could have been much worse. They're very protected for this kind of event. Let's just hope they'll now be protected for tsunami-like events as well.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: March 13, 2011, 02:52:28 AM
Japan has walls for tsunamis. Granted, they didn't expect a 10m high one so that totally broke all boundaries. They also practise tsunami and earthquake drills frequently :3
Also their buildings were designed to be bouncy so they don't fall over as easily. Some of the older ones did collapse though...

The nuclear plants were designed to be well-insured as well, but the earthquake was so bad that it cut off both the power supply and the back-up power supply to the cooling system. Reactors were also designed to shut down as soon as there was a quake, but even when it's not working nuclear reactors get really hot...
So if the cooling systems fail it's bad, very bad.
When the first reactor's cooling system failed they tried to help cool it by releasing (radioactive) steam, but when the explosion happened in part of the cooling system things got bad and stuffs started leaking :V
The reactor itself can't explode because it's not pressurised. They designed it so something disastrous like that couldn't happen.

Also, a second reactor is now in danger of meltdown~

The end result of this would be basically the entire world being scared shitless of using nuclear power ever again =X
Which is pretty bad imo because the world can only provide us with so many resources, so we'll need to find another good, cheap, 'safe' and clean power source soon.
Tbh I think nuclear would be great if you were sure you could contain it. It's sorta like a yandere. When things are working out all is right with the world, but when something stuffs up, you are deader than dead.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: March 13, 2011, 04:43:43 AM
the world can only provide us with so many resources, so we'll need to find another good, cheap, 'safe' and clean power source soon.

Hydroelectricity, Wind, Solar, Geothermal... None as dangerous as Nuclear Energy. Even if a Reactor were to be perfectly fine, there is still no way to dispose of nuclear waste fully.

The WORST among them is Geothermal and Hydro, Geothermal because extracting water from the earth can bring with it gasses and toxic chemicals and [parasitic bomb], but most of the time, they can be injected back INTO the earth, reducing them. Hydroelectric unfortunately has the need for a reservoir, meaning large portions of land are needed for it. But thats it.

Tbh I think nuclear would be great if you were sure you could contain it. It's sorta like a yandere. When things are working out all is right with the world, but when something stuffs up, you are deader than dead.
The problem is that they are almost ALWAYS in the vicinity of a city, or close enough that any disasters would require evacuation of the area.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline GP Aznable

• King of the hill
  • A-Class Hunter
  • I'm the REAL Woodman, foo!
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: March 13, 2011, 07:39:11 AM
Nihon ganbatte!(Japan, don't give up!)

All I can do is hope that everything in there will recovering....

Eat, or be eaten...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: March 13, 2011, 12:41:02 PM
Hydroelectricity, Wind, Solar, Geothermal... None as dangerous as Nuclear Energy. Even if a Reactor were to be perfectly fine, there is still no way to dispose of nuclear waste fully.

The WORST among them is Geothermal and Hydro, Geothermal because extracting water from the earth can bring with it gasses and toxic chemicals and [parasitic bomb], but most of the time, they can be injected back INTO the earth, reducing them. Hydroelectric unfortunately has the need for a reservoir, meaning large portions of land are needed for it. But thats it.
The only reason most big cheap and clean new energy sources haven't been used yet, is simply because the gigantic oil companies are trying to get as much money as they possibly can from the last few bits of expensive fuels right before it completely runs out on Earth. And when it does, they have scooped up all rights to different energy sources so they can stay in business and just keep selling. They're the biggest financers of research on new energy sources, simply because it's not competition they're talking about, it's continuing to sell people energy.

Offline Krystal

• Fujoshi >w<
  • Neo Arcadian
  • 兄萌えが消えない止まない
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: March 13, 2011, 03:39:36 PM
Stuffs like Wind, Solar, etc are too hard to set up for too little gain...financially in the short term. Basically, people are too selfish to set up something they're not gonna end up profiting from, including the government.

Also nuclear energy just sounds cool.

Alternatively, the world can run on the Ciel System

But screw that, a volcano has now erupted man that guy upstairs hates Japan and you can watch the smoke here -> http://kirishima-live.jpn.org/

Apparently it's sending crap 4km up into the sky. Fun times.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: March 13, 2011, 04:53:32 PM
So..what wasn't thrown at Japan yet? This sounds like things that happen in a B-rated disaster movie >.>

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: March 13, 2011, 05:01:58 PM
...51 Ways to Protect Your Lover seems almost prophetic now after reading Krystal's last post.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: March 13, 2011, 06:02:47 PM
But screw that, a volcano has now erupted man that guy upstairs hates Japan and you can watch the smoke here -> http://kirishima-live.jpn.org/

Apparently it's sending crap 4km up into the sky. Fun times.

Oh come the [tornado fang] on >___<

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.