Sonic Colors (Wii, DS)

Klavier Gavin · 133187

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #925 on: December 28, 2010, 10:09:37 AM
No experience with those.  Need to at least be able to encode them in order to accomplish anything.

I dare say, even if the game is short, you're a bigger man than I for 100%ing it.  Sega has a fine mastery of mundane checklists, and "searching" in Sonic stages just doesn't work for me.  I nabbed 90-something red rings on my first play, went back to collect what I missed, and within TWO ACTS was questioning my life or lack thereof.  Both times I got four rings and spent about a dozen replays looking for that last one to somehow elude me.

I can't endure that 36 times over.  To Gecko OS, I go.

Yeah, some of those rings weren't easy to find, but honestly, I found them just by dicking around with the abilities.

"Let me use spikes on this wall... oh [parasitic bomb], a new part of the lev--oh cool, a red ring!"

I only needed help on a few of them in Aquarium Planet and Asteroid Coaster, where a person conveniently made video guides on how to get them.

Now, getting all red rings on the DS version when no guide exists... THAT was not fun. And for what? Infinite boost gauge.

[tornado fang] you, DIMPS.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #926 on: December 28, 2010, 11:16:35 AM
Nah, I rather get the emeralds than try to get those rings...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #927 on: December 29, 2010, 01:04:00 AM
Yeah, some of those rings weren't easy to find, but honestly, I found them just by dicking around with the abilities.

"Let me use spikes on this wall... oh [parasitic bomb], a new part of the lev--oh cool, a red ring!"

I only needed help on a few of them in Aquarium Planet and Asteroid Coaster, where a person conveniently made video guides on how to get them.
Here's the thing: If you have a guide, it's fetch-questing.  If you don't, you risk "Shadow The Hedgehog's Last Story" syndrome, which is to say that by the time you unlock your emerald power you've already replayed the stages so many times that you're damn sick of the game.

The entire POINT of Super Sonic in stages is for replay value.  Requiring such menial replays to unlock it defeats the purpose.  If there was any other way of unlocking Sonic Simulator levels, all would be cool.

Now, getting all red rings on the DS version when no guide exists... THAT was not fun. And for what? Infinite boost gauge.

[tornado fang] you, DIMPS.
Ouch.  That is harsh.  'specially with how easy the Boost Gauge is to fill, assuming they're still using the Rush trick mechanics.

Yeah, I don't actually have the DS version...  Bottom line, no playable Blaze, and emeralds do nothing except unlock final boss, correct?  Not touching it in that case.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Reply #928 on: December 29, 2010, 06:45:56 AM
Ouch.  That is harsh.  'specially with how easy the Boost Gauge is to fill, assuming they're still using the Rush trick mechanics.

Yeah, I don't actually have the DS version...  Bottom line, no playable Blaze, and emeralds do nothing except unlock final boss, correct?  Not touching it in that case.

Actually, there IS no trick system, and myself during the demo I found myself losing out on Boost a few times. Also, I noticed that the gauge depletes slightly faster than in Rush, but that might just be a visual thing.

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #929 on: December 30, 2010, 07:20:03 AM
It's the same depletion rate. It's just harder to refill it because of no tricks. You only have combo attacking enemies and White Wisp capsules to refill you.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #930 on: December 30, 2010, 10:10:05 AM
I beat the game. Honestly, the game really cant be described by anything but "delightful".

Sonic's new voice takes a little getting used to at first, but it grows on you. (Tail's fits right in that's for sure)

[spoiler] I find it odd that for Eggman's final Mech, that Frenzy lookin' one- his wisp attacks use SONIC's wisp activation voice... I would expect it to be EGGMAN's voice calling them out, not Sonic's... Also- Baldy mc Nosehair is probably the BEST Eggman nickname EVER. Also- EGGMAN AS THE ACTUAL FINAL BOSS? WHAT BLASPHEMY IS THIS!?[/spoiler]

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #931 on: December 30, 2010, 02:11:10 PM
For some reason Sonic´s new voice reminded me at Captain Falcon...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #932 on: December 31, 2010, 09:23:44 AM
Just a thought, but is it just me, or do the bosses feel way too easy? just maybe 2-3 hits tops, easy? Even the final boss was [acid burst] easy.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #933 on: December 31, 2010, 11:44:07 AM
[spoiler=final boss]So you'd want it to be like the DS version, where the announcer voice is distorted and evil sounding.[/spoiler]

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #934 on: December 31, 2010, 12:23:35 PM
I lol´d when I found out by accident that you can utterly destroy the DS bosses in mere seconds. Boss 3 in less than a minute? YOu should have seen my face XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #935 on: December 31, 2010, 04:07:51 PM
[spoiler=final boss]So you'd want it to be like the DS version, where the announcer voice is distorted and evil sounding.[/spoiler]
it still prolly wouldnt raise the difficulty by THAT much... and even then, that doesnt account for the other bosses. I mean, the bosses are really fun. And yet, so easy...

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #936 on: December 31, 2010, 09:50:29 PM
It's the same depletion rate. It's just harder to refill it because of no tricks. You only have combo attacking enemies and White Wisp capsules to refill you.
All the more reason why, if playing DS Sonic, I'd best stick with Rush Adventure.  >.>

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline ZeroCracked

• Trapped In The 2000's
  • A-Class Hunter
  • 'Ya better pray to Martel one last time...
    • View Profile
    • My Chatango Chatpod From When I Was Still A Nooblet
Reply #937 on: January 01, 2011, 07:37:27 PM
All the more reason why, if playing DS Sonic, I'd best stick with Rush Adventure.  >.>

I dunno. Adds a nice slight challenge to the thing. In Rush Adventure you can boost through the whole level, no problem, but at least you have to know when and when not to in the DS Colors.

On a side note, having beaten Unleashed, I'm sure I can handle Colors now. Just gotta save up 40 bucks....

Courage is the Magic that turns Dreams into Reality.

I learned that all things explode in slowmotion if you punch them hard enough.

You may have to be on fire for that to happen, though.