Non-standard DNA life on Earth

Align · 5290

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
on: December 02, 2010, 04:26:17 PM
http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life
Instead of using phosphorus, the bacteria uses arsenic. All life on Earth is made of six components: carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and sulfur. Every being, from the smallest amoeba to the largest whale, share the same life stream. Our DNA blocks are all the same.

But not this one. This one is completely different. Discovered in the poisonous Mono Lake, California, this bacteria is made of arsenic, something that was thought to be completely impossible. While she and other scientists theorized that this could be possible, this is the first discovery. The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.

Offline Fariator

• Freelancer.
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 05:13:26 PM
Okay, that's pretty interesting right there. I like to read and theorize about different kinds of biological life that is not composed like how 'normal' life on Earth is, so this is fairly interesting. Even if it's just bacteria, and nothing bigger than that.

I wonder if, given enough time, that bacteria could slowly evolve to some other bigger organisms.

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:44:39 PM
The implications of this discovery are enormous to our understanding of life itself and the possibility of finding beings in other planets that don't have to be like planet Earth.
Indeed.
Holy [parasitic bomb].
If only I could live long enough to see how these things would evolve in an arsenic-rich planet.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:31:27 PM

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:41:18 AM
Heard about this. Sadly I was on my commute home from college when the stream started, but I heard the news afterward.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 03:13:30 AM
The comments on the article could potentially move me to kill a man. NASA is wasting money? Never mind the war that's been going on for the last several years with no clear goal and based on a [tornado fang]ing LIE and was largely responsible for the egregious national debt, trying to reach other planets safely in the hopes of finding more resources or HABITABLE LAND is a [tornado fang]ing waste of money!

Why haven't these people choked to death from Cheerios or something? Certainly people this stupid can't live long enough to learn how to use a computer without having it landing on the pavement outside, lying shattered in several thousand pieces.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 03:44:32 AM
Quote from: Some fucktard
personally i think nasa is a massive speedbump on the path to serious progress in exploring space (privatize that [parasitic bomb] and let BILLIONS of dollars become incentive for the most intense commercial competition in history), but its certainly not gonna look good that our current administration is chopping up the decades old space program if it turns out theyre losing so much money because theyre rediscovering the fundamental concepts of how life works

YOU. MOTHAFUCKING. STUNAD.

Quote from: A (acid burst)-for-brains dweeb
Look NASA, if you want funding, then show us what is in Area 51. Show us something crazy. Instead you show us some "wittle" bacteria and expect us to just throw another 34 billion your way. Sorry, you're cut.

NASA doesn't have that kind of authorization, dipshit. They're not the [tornado fang]ing U.S. government, for Christ's sake.

Christ, you asshats, stop being such spoiled shits. This is a new kind of like we're talking about here. [tornado fang]. I think my blood pressure skyrocketed.

SAMPLE TEXT

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 03:53:19 AM
YOU. MOTHAFUCKING. STUNAD.
I don't think you quite clearly understood that first passage there. He does bring up a point about the privatization, though I would rather the government pay more money for a job well done than a volunteer program that produces questionable results. However, part of the reason why NASA is exploring space is finding extraterrestrial life, and he apparently hasn't made the connection between that and this huge discovery.

That other guy, though, he sounds like he was conceived in the bathroom of a gas station in Alabama.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:56:35 AM
and he apparently hasn't made the connection between that and this huge discovery.
That's EXACTLY the reason I went Italian-American on this guy's ass.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 06:26:28 AM
That's actually sounds exciting.

I for one am a believer of extraterrestrial being.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 06:45:12 AM
Look NASA, if you want funding, then show us what is in Area 51. Show us something crazy. Instead you show us some "wittle" bacteria and expect us to just throw another 34 billion your way. Sorry, you're cut.
then show us what is in Area 51.
NASA
Area 51
[tornado fang] The What....

Also,
some "wittle" bacteria
Lets sick some of that Arsenic Bacterium on him and then see if Nasa having to reevaluate what they consider to be life fundamentals is a waste of money.

Its like they EXPECT Nasa to pop [parasitic bomb] out of their ass with no money. Because in case nobody knew, Nasa doesnt exactly have the biggest budget ever. They represent like what, 1-5% of the total US budget? They have far less money than people seem to think. Making rockets costs LOTS of money. Its the reason they have all but STOPPED their shuttle program, instead hitching rides with other countries shuttles, or collaborating with other countries.

And Science is about ALL science. not just finding Aliens. Even Astronomy is tied in with Biology and Geology. Because it concerns life on other worlds, as well as those worlds compositions.

NASA isnt just about rockets.

Also, you think thats bad, try comments on Yahoo. THOSE make you just want to punch your screen out. They ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS involve politics. ALWAYS. Hell, the article could be about a new Nerf chess set, and the commentary will always lean towards politics.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 03:01:44 PM
Reading internet comments leads only to anger.

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 05:22:46 PM
Also,Lets sick some of that Arsenic Bacterium on him and then see if Nasa having to reevaluate what they consider to be life fundamentals is a waste of money.

Its like they EXPECT Nasa to pop [parasitic bomb] out of their ass with no money. Because in case nobody knew, Nasa doesnt exactly have the biggest budget ever. They represent like what, 1-5% of the total US budget? They have far less money than people seem to think. Making rockets costs LOTS of money. Its the reason they have all but STOPPED their shuttle program, instead hitching rides with other countries shuttles, or collaborating with other countries.

And Science is about ALL science. not just finding Aliens. Even Astronomy is tied in with Biology and Geology. Because it concerns life on other worlds, as well as those worlds compositions.

NASA isnt just about rockets.
As uncomplicated as this is to understand, most people won't pay attention because it's far beyond what their attention span is accustomed to handling (i.e. celebrity news; I mean, sitting there for an hour just to find out that *gasp* famous people are HUMAN BEINGS TOO? Now that is a worthy investment of time!), so as far as they're concerned, they won't listen in on their science classes much further than My Very Elderly Mother Just Served Nine Pizzas, and all NASA does is twinkle twinkle little star and fly tin cans to the moon to find out if it's still made from cheese.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 05:35:34 PM
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/12/its_not_an_arsenic-based_life.php
Jossed, sort of.
Very disappointing.

But this comment:
"So there won't be a host of alien, arsenic based femme fatales arriving to poison us with kisses of death?

Pity."
lol

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 06:05:34 PM
Still a worthwhile discovery in my book. Science is not just about big things. Small little things such as this are also news. Though to have a press conference over something that in the end is not THAT big, just something we knew put in practice, (Bacteria adapting to environments normally unsuitable for life- in this case Arsenic/phosphorus)n IS a bit  :\ .

just a regular ol news announcement would have worked just as good... Though even that wouldnt have stopped an influx of dropped-on-their-heads-as-babies idiots from going on about politics and NASA being a waste of money because they didnt present us with aliens. >___>

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 07:51:19 PM
[tornado fang]ing NASA.  I'm waiting for Wikileaks to release all those classified UFO documents.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 07:12:17 PM
Update!!

And it's all bad...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 07:15:49 PM
Geez, now it's just lazy scientists.
Bleh.