The story of Rockman Online

Zan · 39794

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
on: November 15, 2010, 10:52:05 PM
Recently we've been receiving more and more information about the story behind Rockman Online; a strange far future world was revealed to us, with little in common with the Rockman ZERO and Rockman ZX series, other than both sharing the world of classic Rockman and Rockman X as its past.

Strange for a Korean-exclusive such as this, both the quantity and quality of information given about the past leading to Rockman Online, has simply been astounding; not only have they accurately referred to the events of the end of the irregular wars as documented by Rockman ZERO, they also gave us new unique, yet fitting insight about other aspects of the Rockman world.

As such, I've been wondering for a while now; what is the canonical validity of this title in regards to the main storyline? Other than the entire premise being quite out of the ordinary, I've seen preciously little to doubt it. But I'm wondering what other people think of this and how we will treat it as a community.

Adding to this, we've just now received word that Cinnamon, from Command Mission, will be appearing in Rockman Online, with a strange mention of visions from what seems another world, in which "Neo Arcadia" exists instead.

As you may know, the games after X6, Command Mission especially, have always held an unclear relation with the story of Rockman ZERO, which has only become more unclear with the complete disregard for these titles in the Zero Collection timeline.

So what are we to think now? Does the story branch from Command Mission into Rockman Online and Rockman ZERO? Or does it begin branching as early as X6? Rockman Online definitely carries a premise highly reminiscent of X7 and beyond, which Rockman ZERO does not have, outside of ZX Advent.

So.. discuss?

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 11:15:41 PM
As such, I've been wondering for a while now; what is the canonical validity of this title in regards to the main storyline?

Would it be too cynical of me to say "absolutely none"?

Even if Capcom is okay with the fact that everyone besides the Navigators is dead, it's...well, the only licensed game out of many to end up in R20 was RnF2, the Japanese one. :/ (There was that RS-MM group shot, too, but the first episode was released there, subbed-only--maybe that was the reason for its inclusion)

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 11:36:11 PM
Am I the only one shocked that Zan is asking these questions?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 11:51:41 PM
As you may know, the games after X6, Command Mission especially, have always held an unclear relation with the story of Rockman ZERO, which has only become more unclear with the complete disregard for these titles in the Zero Collection timeline.

I dont see why people actually still wonder that about X6+ all because the ZC timeline doesnt mention them. it doesnt mention X2-4 either, if I recall, and nobody questions them.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 01:04:17 AM
everyone besides the Navigators is dead
w...what?

When and where did all this information about RO appear anyway? I haven't noticed anything since the thread here on RPM died.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 01:09:31 AM
When and where did all this information about RO appear anyway? I haven't noticed anything since the thread here on RPM died.

That's what I remember hearing. (Also, Protodude and TMMN have some info on RO)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 01:13:54 AM
Protodude's corner and MMN mainly.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 01:18:52 AM
I dont see why people actually still wonder that about X6+ all because the ZC timeline doesnt mention them. it doesnt mention X2-4 either, if I recall, and nobody questions them.

That's kinda akward, but my guess this is just another side story, but only with a Zombie involved (there is more than one meaning for this word).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 07:26:14 PM
Would it be too cynical of me to say "absolutely none"?

Even if Capcom is okay with the fact that everyone besides the Navigators is dead, it's...well, the only licensed game out of many to end up in R20 was RnF2, the Japanese one. :/ (There was that RS-MM group shot, too, but the first episode was released there, subbed-only--maybe that was the reason for its inclusion)

Capcom of Japan is involved with this project, actually.  It is a joint venture between Capcom of Japan and Neowiz. Which is one reason why this is actually a discussion instead of simply ignoring the game outright.

Furthermore, disregarding the weirdness of the premise (we don't know what's been going on with the Navigators just yet),  I'm much more concerned about the information revealed about the past that it shares with Rockman ZERO; the world of classic and X. There is a wealth of information provided to us that is simply amazingly indepth, and wholly believable.

Am I the only one shocked that Zan is asking these questions?

I'm opening this discussion for the sake of being free to cite Rockman Online as a valid source, without constant remarks of "Rockman Online is not canon."

w...what?

Rockman Online takes place several hundred years after the X-series. After X and Zero but also the Sigma Virus are gone, the irregular wars having come to an end. However there is a sudden resurgence of irregulars, which leads to the world government deciding to clone the legendary heroes of the past using their DNA data.

Since it seems not many people saw the wealth of information from the beginning of last month, allow me to select a few quotes I found very interesting. Sourced from:

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/10/04/detailed-rockman-online-blog-info/

Wily:
“As god made man in his image, the birth of humanoids is simply humanity’s first step to becoming gods.”

The backstory of Rockman ZERO:
X is a legendary Irregular Hunter who worked to destroy the Sigma Virus, which causes destructive behavior in a repliroid, turning it into an Irregular.
He eventually won his battle against the Sigma Virus, and after confirming the world was in peace, went to eternal rest.
For ages, mankind and repliroids believed that the Sigma Virus had been completely eradicated.

Zero is the masterpiece of Dr. Wily, who tried to use Humaroids (humanoid robots) to take over the world.
Zero is known to be the the original host of the Sigma Virus, which turns repliroids into Irregulars, and openly acknowledges that fact himself.
However, despite that dark past, Zero defeated countless irregulars with his undying belief in what’s right, and always trusted the sometimes unsure X, supporting him by his side.

Suffering Circuit:
X was originally classified as a B-Rank Hunter. Unlike other repliroids, he had the ability to “suffer”, which caused him to avoid conflict and limited his combat capabilities. However, the reason he was able to become a Special A-Rank Hunter and become a legend was that he was able to grow stronger due to his suffering, and that he had a heart of gold.

He always hesitated and was always worried, but once he made a decision he never turned back on it. I want you to think about that aspect of X in the slightest instead of just desiring power. A man who thinks long and hard before his conviction that always goes by his beliefs

Z-buster:

Zero originally used a Buster like X, but during the first of the Irregular Wars caused by Sigma, by giving his parts to X so that he could defeat Sigma, his buster functions become virtually useless. Because it was a weapon designed by Dr. Wily’s earlier technology, there was no means to repair it at the time, and thus he gained a new weapon, “Z-Saber”, a powerful beam sword.

Duo, Evil Energy, Sigma Virus:

What you must always keep in mind is that Duo has complete immunity to the “Sigma Virus” which causes a fatal error in free-willed robots, and all other variations and similar viruses.

In addition, Duo Types have the ability to detect viruses or Irregulars with negative intent.

And then there's the mystery of "Neo Arcadia":
http://www.themmnetwork.com/2010/11/15/rockman-online-introduces-cinnamon/

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 07:34:23 PM
I really want to know how they want to explain the "cloning" of Duo. He is still the most mysterious character of the Rockman series.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 07:39:19 PM
..."Humaroids"?

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:40 PM
Robot master

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 07:48:45 PM
Yeah, I gathered. It's a stupid name, is all.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 08:02:43 PM
Furthermore, disregarding the weirdness of the premise (we don't know what's been going on with the Navigators just yet),  I'm much more concerned about the information revealed about the past that it shares with Rockman ZERO; the world of classic and X. There is a wealth of information provided to us that is simply amazingly indepth, and wholly believable.

Even with all the info, I'm hesitant to accept it as in-continuity to the mainline games until CoJ puts it in an official timeline, at least. God knows how well extracting game canon from uncertain sources worked for the fandom. >.>

I really want to know how they want to explain the "cloning" of Duo.

Same here, and I also want to know why they went with the double dick move of "everybody's dead, Dave"/"All the player characters are retools/recolours of these three schmucks". :/ (Okay, maybe the first can be easily explained)

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 08:49:47 PM
At this time, I don't really consider this to be canon. I think this game is set in a different dimension.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 09:53:02 PM
Z-buster:
Zero originally used a Buster like X, but during the first of the Irregular Wars caused by Sigma, by giving his parts to X so that he could defeat Sigma, his buster functions become virtually useless. Because it was a weapon designed by Dr. Wily’s earlier technology, there was no means to repair it at the time, and thus he gained a new weapon, “Z-Saber”, a powerful beam sword.

Which is totally why he has one in X2 and X3.

Not to mention he was REBUILT by the "Most-likely-is-Wily" Serges. with TWO NEW BUSTERS

Unless it refers to things like weapon copying, which so far, we have never seen Zero do with his Buster. (And by that, I mean he has never acquired a buster weapon like X does,)

And Tatsucap confirms that he can still actually utilize a charging buster, tatsucap Zero being from Post X7.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 10:12:57 PM
Even with all the info, I'm hesitant to accept it as in-continuity to the mainline games until CoJ puts it in an official timeline, at least. God knows how well extracting game canon from uncertain sources worked for the fandom. >.>

Even if we place it outside of (Rockman ZERO) continuinity; as a strange alternate paralel future of the classic and X-series. It still reveals to us information of the past shared with Rockman ZERO. How do you feel about that information assisting us in our understanding of those series?

Which is totally why he has one in X2 and X3.

Not to mention he was REBUILT by the "Most-likely-is-Wily" Serges. with TWO NEW BUSTERS

Unless it refers to things like weapon copying, which so far, we have never seen Zero do with his Buster. (And by that, I mean he has never acquired a buster weapon like X does,)

And Tatsucap confirms that he can still actually utilize a charging buster, tatsucap Zero being from Post X7.

It's explaining why Sagesse equipped Zero with the Z-saber, which he was not originally designed with; a backup in case Zero loses his buster functions once again.

This is a perfectly valid explanation, as to Sagesse, there's no guarentee Zero will allow him to do the repair, leaving Zero in the hands of people that do not understand Wily technology.

That Sagesse did construct Zero with a new buster is largely irrelevant to the origin of the Z-saber in relation to Zero losing his original buster functions in the first war.

Aresian

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 10:36:12 PM
I'm... gonna side with Zan on this. Not everyone just pulls things out of their ass and well. A lot of this info answers questions. Questions that have been wondered about without a solid yes or no, for years.

Rockman Online is very welcome in my book and might be another alternate take on the "What if the ZERO series didn't happen?" notion.

Honestly, didn't know that about the Z-buster. I'm sure someone will chide in and say "omg lol, n00b, I knew dat" and I'll just ignore you, as I'm not even supposed to be here... but yes. Interesting bits of information.

It isn't a surprise that Zan would ask these questions. Zan has never been mindless in his pursuits, I've always deemed him a thinker, someone that wants answers more than anything. Rockman Online provides potential answers. "Canon" or not, it is admittedly very, very intriguing.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 10:47:25 PM
Even if we place it outside of (Rockman ZERO) continuinity; as a strange alternate paralel future of the classic and X-series. It still reveals to us information of the past shared with Rockman ZERO. How do you feel about that information assisting us in our understanding of those series?

It all depends on whther or not CoJ decides that it shares continuity with the mainline games. The info is great, yes, but I'm also wary--I'd hate to accept it as canonical to the mainlines only for CoJ to go "lolwhut?"

But as long as we're assuming that RMO will be a mainline game, or in the same continuity--I'm hoping that the Megaman, Protoman, and Roll seen in the trailer are the real deals, and that they're not horribly killed off at any point. Maybe, if the game lets them live, it'll also explain why Mega and X never met (because they're not the same 'bot).

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: November 17, 2010, 01:58:42 AM
It's explaining why Sagesse equipped Zero with the Z-saber, which he was not originally designed with; a backup in case Zero loses his buster functions once again.

This is a perfectly valid explanation, as to Sagesse, there's no guarentee Zero will allow him to do the repair, leaving Zero in the hands of people that do not understand Wily technology.

That Sagesse did construct Zero with a new buster is largely irrelevant to the origin of the Z-saber in relation to Zero losing his original buster functions in the first war.

Alright. that makes sense. The way it was worded made it seem almost like it disregarded that Zero's body was destroyed and sank to the bottom of the sea and had to be rebuilt.

But when you put it like that, I can see what it meant.

It certainly would explain why he was given a saber, something that was not part of his original design specifications seen in Power Fighters.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 01:45:04 AM
Zan and I discussed the Z-Buster point over AIM, and yeah, that it is factually true but EXTREMELY badly worded so far as implications go is about the only way to make sense of it.  Since we know the buster WAS repaired simultaneously with the creation of the Z-Saber, the Z-Saber being added as redundancy is about the only way it works.

I'm surprised at this validating the Z-Buster over Light's X1 capsule, though.  Leaving a "what if" scenario is one thing, but claiming that as the valid one makes it harder to sweep the similarity/compatibility issues under the rug.  I'm really having a hard time believing at this point that Wily and Light didn't put their heads together one last time during the development of X and Zero.

Same here, and I also want to know why they went with the double dick move of "everybody's dead, Dave"/"All the player characters are retools/recolours of these three schmucks". :/ (Okay, maybe the first can be easily explained)
See, here's the problem with the "only the Navigators lived" explanation: Iris is there.  So that says to me that they're evidently cloning navigators as well, and why?  Well, we can only guess...

I'm fairly certain that there will be more than three player types, as well.  Recent images reveal an alternate ProtoMan design which looks to me like an armor upgrade in the same vein as the previously shown player types.

Thus far nothing revealed seems more outlandish than anything Capcom's done, so I'd say that as long as it's not contradictory it should certainly be acceptable.  The Wily quote, for example, definitely sounds to me like something Wily would say, even post-X-series.

However, while RMO is offering tons in the way of series backstory, the RMO-specific backstory is still a bit lacking.  The deal with Cinnamon getting visions of Neo Arcadia has me intrigued, as that's pretty much the main sign pointing towards the "alternate future" explanation (You could otherwise try to work this into line with the other series, but for them to be so familiar with X/Classic events without hearing of Neo Arcadia?).  But if that's the case, then we need to know the nature of the divide.  We can't simply assume it was, say, X6 or X7.  It could just as easily be any later point in the timeline up until around Elf Wars.  Further, in light of ZXA, I'd be reluctant to remove Axl outright from Zero-series continuity.

Also, we really need to know the extent of Wily and Light's involvement.  Wily has been off the radar since X7 and Light since XCM.  That EITHER of them are playing a part in this is pretty darn significant.  Never before has the notion been put forward that their presence would outlast X and Zero's.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 18, 2010, 02:01:40 AM
See, here's the problem with the "only the Navigators lived" explanation: Iris is there.  So that says to me that they're evidently cloning navigators as well, and why?  Well, we can only guess...

I thought that they might've just repaired her, maybe with the hand wave that her body was recovered from Final Weapon before it went boom. But even if that's the case, it's like she'd be a completely different character anyway, since she wound up essentially frying her brain.

I'm fairly certain that there will be more than three player types, as well.  Recent images reveal an alternate ProtoMan design which looks to me like an armor upgrade in the same vein as the previously shown player types.

Or maybe it's just some bastard pretending to be Protoman. >.> (Unless I'm forgetting something about whether or not the bad guys are rebuilt or cloned)

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 04:37:04 AM
Has this been posted yet?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=prmoKwoapn8#![/youtube]

The 2nd trailer of Rockman online.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #23 on: November 18, 2010, 04:47:25 AM
There is also a gameplay video that I couldn't see yet because it works like crap.
Here: http://www.thisisgame.com/board/view.php?id=533048&category=102&subcategory= (i think it wasn't uploaded to YouTube yet)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 18, 2010, 05:00:10 AM
Has this been posted yet?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=prmoKwoapn8#![/youtube]

The 2nd trailer of Rockman online.
This hodgepodge of characters and action scenes shows just why we need a Mega Man X anime. That was quite awesome. So now we know other characters involved. Isoc, Nana, and a few Command Mission characters as well.

now what interests me, is this whole outer space orbital elevator thing. Is that Gaia? if that stuff is going on up there, whats going on in the earth below?

gameplay looks pretty good to me. I generally make it a principle to not play MMORPG's, they just dont appeal to me, but I swear this tempts me. If it EVER sees a western release, you can count on me being there.