"I has sharp Metal Blades and I'm not afraid to use'em!" More MMUniverse details

VixyNyan · 36024

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I know. You said "half the experience." I was being an ass and correcting you!  8)
Oh you. 8D

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
Got bored.....

Hmm..... Maybe I should try to make an 8-bit version of Kimoto MegaMan. Change would include adding the tron-like lines in, giving him a meaner face.

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Got bored.....

Hmm..... Maybe I should try to make an 8-bit version of Kimoto MegaMan. Change would include adding the tron-like lines in, giving him a meaner face.

IT'S MEGAGUTSMAN. Am I right?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
IT'S MEGAGUTSMAN. Am I right?
No your not...

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
His right.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
While I agree aesthetics do help, even those are purely subjective. You brought up Wind Waker as a game with good aesthetics (to which I personally agree), however it's ridiculous how many people think that game looks bad. No one gives a [parasitic bomb] about quality if it doesn't appeal to them. To them, if it doesn't appeal to them it's automatically bad. While this is certainly a less than ideal way to look at it, that's just the way it goes.

This doesn't apply to just graphics. Controls work smooth like butter for some people, but for some reason it doesn't work quite as well for others. Level design is a bit easier to qualify quality-wise, but even that depends entirely to a person's tastes. Lots of people perfectly liked the level design in Sonic Unleashed for example, yet that doesn't apply to everyone. Replay value... oh boy, that one's pretty subjective as well. Some games may offer more content that would make it seem like it has replay value, but if no one wants to replay the game who cares? (I'm thinking heavily of Shadow the Hedgehog on that one). Bugs and crashes / game stability is pretty much the most concrete thing to quantify as far as quality goes, but even then we get the oddities where people embrace the bugs in the game and love to use them (Metroid series in general for example).

Just look at this very forum. It's not hard to see how much personal tastes play such a huge role in how people judge the quality of a game. Point is, there is no universal scale to judge things by.

Offline GameSaver

• WANNA BE STARTIN' SOMETHIN'
  • Net Navi
  • DON'T STOP TIL YOU GET ENOUGH
    • View Profile
I just hope the music is good.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
While I agree aesthetics do help, even those are purely subjective. You brought up Wind Waker as a game with good aesthetics (to which I personally agree), however it's ridiculous how many people think that game looks bad. No one gives a [parasitic bomb] about quality if it doesn't appeal to them. To them, if it doesn't appeal to them it's automatically bad. While this is certainly a less than ideal way to look at it, that's just the way it goes.

This doesn't apply to just graphics. Controls work smooth like butter for some people, but for some reason it doesn't work quite as well for others. Level design is a bit easier to qualify quality-wise, but even that depends entirely to a person's tastes. Lots of people perfectly liked the level design in Sonic Unleashed for example, yet that doesn't apply to everyone. Replay value... oh boy, that one's pretty subjective as well. Some games may offer more content that would make it seem like it has replay value, but if no one wants to replay the game who cares? (I'm thinking heavily of Shadow the Hedgehog on that one). Bugs and crashes / game stability is pretty much the most concrete thing to quantify as far as quality goes, but even then we get the oddities where people embrace the bugs in the game and love to use them (Metroid series in general for example).

Just look at this very forum. It's not hard to see how much personal tastes play such a huge role in how people judge the quality of a game. Point is, there is no universal scale to judge things by.
I already made the point that asthetic is subjective.

Plus, everyone hated WW's graphics when it was coming out and they asked for more OOT.

...then they got TP and now they want more WW. Forget about it. Graphics-wise, Wind Waker is still the most beautiful cel-shaded game of all time. And it will continue to stand through time as a great game with graphics that just don't grow old because of their cartoony nature.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Plus, everyone hated WW's graphics when it was coming out and they asked for more OOT.

...then they got TP and now they want more WW. Forget about it. Graphics-wise, Wind Waker is still the most beautiful cel-shaded game of all time. And it will continue to stand through time as a great game with graphics that just don't grow old because of their cartoony nature.

Actually, I was a huge fan of WW style when it was revealed.

Also, I'd argue that ZOE2 is the most beautiful cel-shaded game of all time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Yknow, Capcom has been sort of I dunno... lazy in the graphics department as of late. And I dont mean the  bit thing, but when they have 3D graphics, they under utilize the system potential. X8 didnt look so great, and MHX even less, (hell, they simplified Zero's helmet design in MHX just so they wouldn't need to add more curves to the model) Command mission was good, but could have been better.

Then theres X7. X7, for all the problems with it, was actually a very good looking game, i think- compared to some of the 3D graphics ones that came after. Plus it was cell shaded, which added to its smooth look. (something that X8 initially had but they removed for some damn reason)

Maybe im just nuts, but thats how it seems to me.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Archer

Zero's helmet design

You couldn't help yourself, could you?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Actually, I was a huge fan of WW style when it was revealed.

Also, I'd argue that ZOE2 is the most beautiful cel-shaded game of all time.
ZOE2 is cel-shaded? I don't consider it cel-shaded. More of an anime asthetic than that.

I still think WW holds the title because of its amazing character expressions, tiny little details and fantastic animations.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
ZOE2 is cel-shaded? I don't consider it cel-shaded. More of an anime asthetic than that.

I still think WW holds the title because of its amazing character expressions, tiny little details and fantastic animations.

Yeah, they added Cel-shading to ZOE2, which honestly gave the Oribital Frames a much better and more dynamic look to them.

LoL, and I said I'd argue, not that I don't agree with you!  8D

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
You couldn't help yourself, could you?
It wasnt a gripe this time, its true- Check MMX OCW. They talk about simplifying the helmet design for the sake of the model.

Although when I think it over, its not exactly THAT relevant... Its just a very odd case in which they for some reason, decided to design Zero according to his in game model.. which was weird, since its no strange thing for an in game sprite to look one way and the art work another. (see Megaman's 8 bit sprite vs his artwork)

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I think Zero's helmet would look better with Batman Beyond style ears.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
That would be... odd. and kinda funny to see.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
It just bugs me that for all that work they do for Resident Evil and the recent Street Figther IV, we will never get to see a Mega man Legends 3 especially since they could utilize the Wiimote for a lot.

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile

PB, you never cease to amaze me with your epic ideas.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Yknow, Capcom has been sort of I dunno... lazy in the graphics department as of late. And I dont mean the  bit thing, but when they have 3D graphics, they under utilize the system potential. X8 didnt look so great, and MHX even less, (hell, they simplified Zero's helmet design in MHX just so they wouldn't need to add more curves to the model) Command mission was good, but could have been better.

Then theres X7. X7, for all the problems with it, was actually a very good looking game, i think- compared to some of the 3D graphics ones that came after. Plus it was cell shaded, which added to its smooth look. (something that X8 initially had but they removed for some damn reason)

Maybe im just nuts, but thats how it seems to me.
More or less agreed, however I believe that Command Mission's visuals are superior to X7's, both technically and aesthetically.

Yes, since X8, Capcom has gotten visually lazy.  You don't even have to look at their 3D to see it, just look at how they handle X's armored mugshots in X8, and the complete lack of any such thing in MHX.

It wasnt a gripe this time, its true- Check MMX OCW. They talk about simplifying the helmet design for the sake of the model.
Man speaks truth.  Page 138, Zero's MHX concept art captions.

Although when I think it over, its not exactly THAT relevant... Its just a very odd case in which they for some reason, decided to design Zero according to his in game model.. which was weird, since its no strange thing for an in game sprite to look one way and the art work another. (see Megaman's 8 bit sprite vs his artwork)
I think Yoshikawa is a little too down-to-earth for his own good; he tends to over-obsess over mundane details with the "toy designer" approach (the MHX gauntlet redesign is my textbook definition of pointless), and yes, the deliberately low-poly designs are hard to read as anything but cheap.  Another of his design quirks that bugs me is the fact that he lines up busters by the elbow, rather than by the wrist (compare any MHX art, concept or final, to Zero taking aim in TDoS's simulation, and you'll see what I mean).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
I found the wristguard thing interesting TBH. i always wondered how impractical it must be to have this big metal plate that doesnt allow you to move your hand upwards.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile