Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (Bowser's Inside Story)

HokutoNoBen · 15098

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: September 20, 2009, 06:20:46 AM
This game is the chubby kid in the candy store of my free time!

I HAVE CHORTLES!
Call it the best Mario RPG, I cannot.

But the Mario Bros.' regular battle theme is catchy. It has catch. More than I can say for the last 2 games. Magnificent pacing except...

I HAVE TUTORIALS!!!

My nerves it gets like the early bird devours the Wiggler! So many mini-games and attacks...

BUT HEY, enough of the Fawful speak, someone page the king of awesome, 'cause it's time to review King Bowser!
LIKE A BOSS!

Can you one-shot enemies?
LIKE A BOSS!
Can you have swarms of minions do your bidding?
LIKE A BOSS!
Can you turn SMW2 giant?
LIKE A CONFERENCE ROOM OF BOSSES!

Bowser's no longer some cheap baddie anymore; this game reminds us why HE'S KING. Will he get trounced less by those pesky plumbers? Sure...

...just...just as soon as he finishes those forty cakes over there...

EDIT: Almost forgot. If you're racking your globin wondering how much stuff in the Star Store costs, well...
Mario and Luigi's ultimate overalls cost 20,000 coins each. That is the way the globin bounces.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: September 20, 2009, 07:29:06 AM
Bowser is amazing and I love him. As sad as this sounds, I actually got a bit depressed at times when you couldn't play as him. On a side-note, I won't be able to look at him the same thanks to Ben.

Hey, it's not just me though!

[spoiler]I loved how Bowser specifically requested for HOT SAUCE before eating the Giga Carrot, among other things. Then there's his love for what could just be called "soul food", and it just keeps getting better and better! 8D

It's like some one at the NOA Treehouse is clearly in on the "joke" (re: truth), as much as I and others are![/spoiler]

edit: though, I have to ask why a picture of Peach is in every Toad's house. It's not a big deal, but it seems a bit...odd to me.

Again, it's demonstrated just what kind of character Peach is. She knows she's the most powerful person, politically-speaking, in the Mario-verse, and definitely flaunts it as such.

Kim Jong-il ain't got nuthin on that heifer!  8D

Any way...yeah. I went and bought this game again, just for the sake of the NOA translation, which, of course, does NOT disappoint.

This is easily my fave Mario RPG right now, topping the spot that only its original progenitor occupied (M&L the first). That's saying a lot, in my opinion.

Next step? Again, Bowser REALLY needs his own game. He's proven again and again that he can carry games by himself. It's high time, in my eyes.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #102 on: September 20, 2009, 07:36:53 AM
Again, it's demonstrated just what kind of character Peach is. She knows she's the most powerful person, politically-speaking, in the Mario-verse, and definitely flaunts it as such.

Oh, you know she loves to Flaunt it!   8D

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #103 on: September 20, 2009, 08:24:58 PM
Gotta love how Peach Force-threw Bowser at the beginning.

I also motion that the Timed Body Slam and Sliding Haymaker be Bowser's new UpB and SmashB in SSB4.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: September 20, 2009, 08:31:02 PM
*Reads thread*

... I need this game. XD

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: September 20, 2009, 11:00:10 PM
I like to say this outright, once again, I'm in love with Yoko Shimomura~

She has once again managed to create a wonderful soundtrack for a Mario & Luigi-type game.

The soundtrack has tons of Kingdom Hearts vibes, more than the past M&L games, so go take a listen. ^^

Last Boss theme~ 0v0

I guessed as much after hearing the underwater Blibble Lake theme.

Also, Last Boss is great; here's hoping it carries me through 6 1/2 pages of report writing...

It will be empowering! I beat the game today; it should have a double whammy effect!
FEEL IT!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: September 21, 2009, 12:22:55 AM
Gotta love how Peach Force-threw Bowser at the beginning.

Mhmm! Makes me wonder if not only does she know her political [parasitic bomb], she's a SITH LORD, freely manipulating Bowser and Mario as she pleases!  8D

I also motion that the Timed Body Slam and Sliding Haymaker be Bowser's new UpB and SmashB in SSB4.

Motion supported.

Timed Body Slam would really be a nice move for Bow-wow, because it would add an extra element from what is otherwise pretty much a stronger version of Yoshi's Down+B. And the Slider would be awesome as well....he'd gain more distance with more charge, but it would also make the lag frames last long as he "commits" to the move. XD

Hell, if some one really wanted to, they likely could modify Bowser in this way already, knowing the extensive modding scene going about Smash right now.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: September 21, 2009, 12:28:38 AM
Mhmm! Makes me wonder if not only does she know her political [parasitic bomb], she's a SITH LORD, freely manipulating Bowser and Mario as she pleases!  8D

....I'm going to see if I can get Quickie to draw this.

GOOOOOOOD!  GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: September 21, 2009, 12:51:51 AM
Motion supported.

Timed Body Slam would really be a nice move for Bow-wow, because it would add an extra element from what is otherwise pretty much a stronger version of Yoshi's Down+B. And the Slider would be awesome as well....he'd gain more distance with more charge, but it would also make the lag frames last long as he "commits" to the move. XD

Hell, if some one really wanted to, they likely could modify Bowser in this way already, knowing the extensive modding scene going about Smash right now.

Kirby's and Yoshi's DownB's are very predictable.
Body Slam would give Bowser a little bit of an edge in that you don't know when the other player will come down.

Haymaker would give Bowser a great approach move and horizontal midair recovery. Leave Fire Breath, but on second thought, keep Spinning Fortress: replace Bowser's low priority DownB with this.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: September 21, 2009, 04:21:17 AM
....I'm going to see if I can get Quickie to draw this.

GOOOOOOOD!  GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

You wouldn't have to go far. Shadow Queen from PM:TTYD is practically this already. XD

Makes you wonder though....did that personality truly take over Peach's body wholesale, or did Peach just "allow it" to happen...maybe even thinking THIS was the opportunity that she always needed in order to be able to take over the world?

I mean, let's not forget that she offered Mario a chance to serve at her side.

"Come! Take your place at my side!"  8D

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: September 21, 2009, 04:30:47 AM
Just chiming in with the obligatory "The Thousand Year Door was such a [tornado fang]ing good game" post since someone brought it up. XD

And yeah, Shadow Peach was all different kinda of magnificent bastardry when she first revealed herself as such.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: September 22, 2009, 02:29:56 AM
I think the offer was a double-fold thing.

Say you're a villain in the world...hell...the UNIVERSE of Mario. You have to know he's trounced Bowser, Tatanga, Smithy, all of these other supremely evil entities, and now you're up against him? Hey, if you can get him to join you, your chance of survival is statistically higher, even if you just try. Shadow Queen and Dementio both knew this.

Peach's emotions (we know how strong those are) probably also played a role considering Shadow Queen took over Peach's body. Of course there's a little bastard and controlling side to Peach, but it's not like she's full-fledged controlling. Otherwise, she wouldn't be friendly to Bowser and Rosalina would not have been invited to the Mario Kart Wii tournament (she'd have wanted Rosalina far, FAR away from Mario, jealous and such).

As far as modding Brawl Bowser, just add a "release" delay to DownB (use after Down and/or B are let go of) and use Jigglypuff's Pound.

Posted on: September 20, 2009, 09:50:20 PM
You know what needs to happen? Super Mario Brothers 4.

A retro sequel like the old games. I wonder how many people would rebel against that? I would not.

I'd love to travel the maps of 8 brand new world just to save Peach again.

Enter New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

Complete with the unthinkable: Koopalings, Bowser Jr., AND Bowser.

...okay, now wish for a good new Sonic or Starfox!

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: September 22, 2009, 02:35:06 AM
[tornado fang] you, the last three star fox games were great.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: September 22, 2009, 02:54:16 AM
[tornado fang] you, the last three star fox games were okay.

Fix'd.

But seriously, Assault had the makings of greatness, it just didn't execute very well.

i.e. Didn't branch paths and too much all-range mode. Other than that, it was good.
Wait, no, the ending could have been better. Same for the story.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: September 22, 2009, 03:16:21 AM
You know honestly, I die a little on the inside whenever people list story as a problem that needs fixing in Star Fox. The story needs a chainsaw taken to it to cut out all the extra fluff and boil it down to:

"Andross is [tornado fang]ing [parasitic bomb] up, go [tornado fang] his [parasitic bomb] up harder!" XD

Also, dialouge between the team =/= story. I think that's one of the reasons why the story became so OTT and no in the good way.

This is a discussion for another thread though.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #115 on: September 22, 2009, 04:47:32 AM
You know honestly, I die a little on the inside whenever people list story as a problem that needs fixing in Star Fox. The story needs a chainsaw taken to it to cut out all the extra fluff and boil it down to:

"Andross is [tornado fang]ing [parasitic bomb] up, go [tornado fang] his [parasitic bomb] up harder!" XD

But that's what I had in mind for a fix.

Or at least have greater implications than LOL MORE ALIENS if they're going to do something complicated. Like Command. Andross created those lifeforms. And James did more than talk a little in Fox's head.

[spoiler]PLAYABLE! OOOOOOH YEEEEEEEES[/spoiler]