Catherine (PS3/360) - From the same ones who bought you Persona 3 & 4...

HokutoNoBen · 8970

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Nope. It's NOT Persona 5. Instead, for their first game on the HD Twins, the Persona team decided to make a spin-off starring The Man Who Drinks alone from P3P. His name is indeed Vincent.

Quote from: Andriasang
Game Jouhou has posted a bunch of additional details on Catherine, Atlus's new PS3 and Xbox 360 action adventure game.

As detailed below, Catherine is the first HD game from Atlus. It's being made with key members of the Persona staff. Included in the staff list are Katsura Hashino as producer and director, Shigenori Soejima as character designer, and Shouji Meguro as sound composer.

While the game's name is Catherine, the main character is actually a 32-year-old salaryman named Vincent (voiced by Koichi Yamadera). Catherine (voiced by Miyuki Sawashiro) is a stylish 22-year-old girl who apparently has the charms of a young girl.

The game begins when Vincent, a vegetarian who has no ambition in work or love (I'm not sure if he's literally a "vegetarian," or if the term "vegetarian" is some sort of metaphor for his personality) runs into the mysterious Catherine one day. At night, he has nightmares.

The nightmares serve as an action component for the game. Set in a world with an unending stairway, Vincent has to make it to the top of the stairs, or he will not be able to awaken.

Based off Game Jouhou's summary, it's a bit unclear how the game will progress. However, it does seem that even during the nightmare action parts, you'll end up working through the story and encountering events.

During a staff interview, Hashino said that as their first HD game, rather than trying out a true RPG, the team was excited about trying out something new. It looks like Catherine will be just that, as Hashino said it will be more adult oriented than past titles from the team. It's not all style, though. Hashino promised a deep play experience with plenty of gameplay for players to sink their teeth into.

Soejima said that there are some shockingly adult scenes in the game. When you play these scenes, they'll be even more stimulating, although in a difference sense.

Meguro confirmed the adult leanings of the title, saying that the keywords for the game's music are "classic," "adult oriented" and "erotic." He also promised 5.1ch sound.

Meguro also made a comment that has Persona fans excited. He said that due to Catherine, he believes for the time being the staff won't be asked about their next title. However, at some point next year, perhaps he'll be able to respond "Regarding the RPG, Hashino and I are..."

A hint at Persona 5?

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWu53yNm5UU&feature=related[/youtube]

dunno what to make of this game as of now...

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
VERY interesting.

And amusingly, I now want to replay Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2 again~

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
A pizza never looks so delicious before.

Very interesting, I wonder what kind of gameplay it will have?

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Hasn't it been done to death by C.C. already?

I'm interested in what this game has to offer. The style is pretty cool.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
They should have given us more details than just this...

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
There ARE details. Since it's a mostly JP-only affair for now though, you just have to know where to look...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/19/catherine_preview/
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/19/first_look_catherine/

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Hmmm... Trailer's music is VERY familiar.. However, it's much more fitting. Since it's gonna be adult oriented, I might buy it when it's released..  or wait until I'm 21 or older, since it's gonna have nightmare fuel. Who knows, might as well play the Persona PSP ports first.

Hasn't it been done to death by C.C. already?

Yes. Although it was done in gag form. This however, is meant to be totally diffrent.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
There ARE details. Since it's a mostly JP-only affair for now though, you just have to know where to look...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/19/catherine_preview/
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/19/first_look_catherine/
I see lotsa story, anime, and cutscenes. This is a game, I want to at least know how it plays, or what definite RPG genre it's trying to put itself into.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
I remember someone posting something about this at DoujinStyle. Looks interesting, though I gotta wonder if this is gonna be more nightmare fuel than Demonophobia. Certainly looks like a Japan-only game if the shock-value is too much for it to be overseas.

If anyone doesn't know what Demonphobia is, its a Ryona / Guro game that came out somewhere in 2008 (it appeared out of nowhere from the forums that I've seen) where you play as a 16-year-old girl named Sakuri who gets sucked into Hell after performing a demon summoning ritual that went wrong or something like that. The game is sorta like Clock Tower on the Super Famicom and you can die in many (and extremely horrific and gruesome) ways. I've seen a playthough of the game on YouTube, and I couldn't sleep for a few days because how [tornado fang]'d up that game is.. (it was recommendation that the player is 21+ of age)

-EDIT-
Forgot to mention that Demonophobia is actually getting a sequel called Xenophobia, which looks like its gonna be more [tornado fang]'d up than Demonophobia from videos of the early betas of the game that I've seen.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I see lotsa story, anime, and cutscenes. This is a game, I want to at least know how it plays, or what definite RPG genre it's trying to put itself into.

Well, it's not an RPG though, it's supposed to be Action/Adventure/Horror (add Ero in there if you want to I guess).

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Hmmm... Trailer's music is VERY familiar.. However, it's much more fitting.
I KNOW! O_O I was thinking about it and I've decided it sounds very much like Drawcia Battle 1 from Kirby: Canvas Curse!

I wasnt gonna click this thread but I am SO glad I did! ^^ Definetly, going to get this.

Home sweet home

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
I KNOW! O_O I was thinking about it and I've decided it sounds very much like Drawcia Battle 1 from Kirby: Canvas Curse!

I do belive that the song itself is a remix of an orchestral song. The base song itself must be popular in Japan.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
I do belive that the song itself is a remix of an orchestral song. The base song itself must be popular in Japan.
Well, Catherine looks artsy and Canvas Curse was an artsy game......So now we now the music has to do with something artsy!! >D

Home sweet home

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Well, Catherine looks artsy and Canvas Curse was an artsy game......So now we now the music has to do with something artsy!! >D

Where's Adeleine when you need her the most? 8D

Offline Wanda Bear

• The Wanderess of RPM
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Currently Nowhere.
    • View Profile
Where's Adeleine when you need her the most? 8D
No one can resist the challenge of trying to find out what this music is! :W

Home sweet home

Offline VirusChris

• Virakin of the Darkness Arcana
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I'm the guy people hate
    • View Profile
Second Trailer:
[youtube]cEQ4SXNWTbA[/youtube]

So there's two people with the same name, but spelt differently in this game. Interesting, I at least I know why the game's title logo looks the way it does.

Posted on: September 20, 2010, 02:04:28
[youtube]Y6frNucpWks[/youtube]

[youtube]WgSx5eTesus&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/youtube]

Gameplay videos... OK, now I'm very interest in it! Though it freaks the hell out of me a bit! -_-

"Spirit-Soul Fusion! Invoke... VIRUS CROSS!!!" ~ Quote from my Virakins global project
JP PSN: UirusuKurisu
Official Husband of Fox Caster from Fate/Extra <3