Boss Dissonance

geekgo4 · 5602

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
on: August 13, 2010, 01:57:22 AM
Yes, that's right. A TV Trope.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BossDissonance

The difficulity of a boss goes in two ways.

Kirby Type: Where the Bosses are harder than the stages. Named after the Kirby of the Stars games for their cakewalk stages(some of the enemies don't even pay attention to you), but annoying bosses(raise your hand if Meta Knight kicked your ass).

Mario Type: Where the Bosses are EASIER than the stages. Named afters the Super Mario Bros. series for their frustrating stages(The time limit does NOT help. Kaizo games make things MUCH worse!), but moderatly PREDICTABO bosses(Most bosses go down in 3 hits anf Bowser's arenas help the player more than they help him.).

MegaMan/RockMan is a mixed bag here. Stages like NeedleMan would fall under the Kirby Type of difficulity, while stages like RingMan would fall into the Mario Type.

But, I guess that depends on you. Here, you name your Mario and Kirby types... and maybe reasons.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:45:55 PM
Haha, more people who think Megaman X6 has "horrible" level design.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 01:06:09 AM
Haha, more people who think Megaman X6 has "horrible" level design.
Well, the stages were annoying. Rainly Turloid hade a body part that is near impossible to get because of the spikes. The lasers in Shield Sheldon's stage were bothersome.

Of course, the bosses were no better. Oh dear GOD, Hi-MAX.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 01:12:06 AM

Oh dear GOD, Hi-MAX.

Shadow Armor Charge Shot.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:16:25 AM
Well, the stages were annoying. Rainly Turloid hade a body part that is near impossible to get because of the spikes. The lasers in Shield Sheldon's stage were bothersome.

Of course, the bosses were no better. Oh dear GOD, Hi-MAX.
High Max? HARD?
What.

The Shadow Armor part in Turtloids stage requires either damage barrier abuse, or Mach dash.

The lasers? Meh. they were no bother. They were just there to make the stage feel longer than it really was. (unless you took the alternate path)

The only boss in X6 I can say gave me trouble was Mijinion. Especially on Unarmored runs. On unarmored runs, he is the single hardest. of the 8 bosses.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 02:59:05 AM
I don't know about you, Mega Man 4 was just the Kirby type for me but X6 was the Mario type.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 07:56:37 AM
Shadow Armor Charge Shot.
Well, yeah. I can destroy him with that, but using that armor leads to another problem.

I haven't found the right chip for it, either.

Offline yanmaoption

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 12:39:51 PM
I don't know about you, Mega Man 4 was just the Kirby type for me but X6 was the Mario type.
Even TOADMAN? Please don't tell me you find TOADMAN to be a kirby type...

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 04:21:05 PM
Mega Man 4 was actually a little of both for me at least but Toad Man wasn't much trouble.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 05:19:57 PM
Unless your playing Megaman 4 MI 8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 06:02:11 PM
High Max? HARD?
What.
I'm glad somebody other than me can actually comprehend X6.  It gets tiresome having to explain the same damn things over and over.

Mario and Kirby bosses are both pretty opposite extremes; for the most part I think MegaMan tends to have a nice balance.  The closest to "Mario-style" would be Top Man (MM3) and Jet Stingray (MMX4).  Possibly a few Sigma forms as well, but I won't count those since there are other forms to follow them.

As for Kirby-style, that would be Chronoforce on Hard Mode (ZX Advent).  MM1's fortress bosses are pretty nasty as well, if you don't resort to pause abuse.

Stages like NeedleMan would fall under the Kirby Type of difficulity
Well, that makes me feel a lot more manly.  I START with Needle Man.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 06:37:06 PM
Hard mode Chronoforce is [twin slasher]. D:

I STILL wonder how I got past ZXA's hard mode.

X6's bosses are pretty easy, mostly IMO, to compensate for the challenging levels, which are often difficult, especially when you combine the nightmare system in. Except for one or two, such as Miijinion where while the stage is somewhat challenging, its still only a walk down a ramp while avoiding things thrown at you. SO he makes up for that by being a pain in the ass.

Offline Night

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 06:38:25 PM
"Lemme see you Dance!"  8D

Offline AquaTeamV3

• Class SSS Digger
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Your friendly neighborhood digger!
    • View Profile
    • The Digger's Database
Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 06:41:30 PM
X6's bosses are pretty easy, mostly IMO, to compensate for the challenging levels, which are often difficult, especially when you combine the nightmare system in. Except for one or two, such as Miijinion where while the stage is somewhat challenging, its still only a walk down a ramp while avoiding things thrown at you. SO he makes up for that by being a pain in the ass.

Of course, that doesn't count the nightmare section of his stage.  It's easy on it's own, but I've always found that those reploids are the hardest to rescue.  Especially the few on the bottom right, as there's a nightmare positioned directly over one of their heads, and if you plummet into that bottomless pit you can pretty much just mark that one as "missing".  Metal Shark Player, on the other hand, is definitely a Mario type.  His stage is less hard and more grueling (music doesn't help either), although there's a reploid positioned in an evil spot towards the end, and if you're playing extreme mode the NIghtmare placement makes it that much harder.

PSN: AquaTeamV3
NNID: BaconStunner
GGPO: AquaTeamV3
My YouTube Channel
The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 08:21:19 PM
I found X6's level design to be fine... as for High Max, I never knew how to harm him. He wasn't hard, but I couldn't hurt him. Once I got Shadow Armor, I raped him, but still.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Shinigami No Tekken

• RPM's resident kid-on-the-old-man's-lawn.
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Cool Story, Bro!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 09:06:08 PM
I found pretty much the entire Zero series to be a Mario type. What with the spike overusage of about every stage. The bosses were only MODERATELY difficult. Once you figure out the patterns, it's a walk in the park.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 09:45:27 PM
Hard mode Chronoforce is [twin slasher]. D:

REEAAALLYY NOW? I had no problem with HM Chronoforce because I was able to memorize his pattern. BOSS RUSH Chronoforce.. that's a diffrent challenge altogether.

I never really had trouble with (most) of the RMs, except that damn "JUMPINGU, JUMPINGU, SLIDINGA, SLIDINGA!" in MM8. I guess fans wanted the MM1 challenge they missed so much.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Karasai♪

• Absolutely Fabulous.
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 11:20:22 PM
X6's Gate lab (the one where you fight High Max) is impossible to pass without a armor that Air dashes

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 01:10:03 AM
X6's Gate lab (the one where you fight High Max) is impossible to pass without a armor that Air dashes
All you need is jumper.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 03:09:21 AM
All you need is jumper.

And you have to jump from the right place. (The very Bottom of the Platform.)

But once you get there, Gate is a cakewalk with the Shadow Armor.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #20 on: August 21, 2010, 03:16:26 AM
I found X6's level design to be fine... as for High Max, I never knew how to harm him. He wasn't hard, but I couldn't hurt him. Once I got Shadow Armor, I raped him, but still.
As X: Stun with buster, damage with special weapon. Unarmored or Ultimate can stun through his shield if you fire a charged shot point-blank.
OR: Stun with buster, completely [twin slasher] with Nova Strike.

As Zero: Stun with special skill, damage with saber.
OR: Do both with Ensuizan, which rocks all socks.

REEAAALLYY NOW? I had no problem with HM Chronoforce because I was able to memorize his pattern. BOSS RUSH Chronoforce.. that's a diffrent challenge altogether.
It's the same Chronoforce.  Unless you're talking about the regional Hard/Normal/Maniac discrepancies...

All you need is jumper.
I didn't think Jumper alone worked (not without also using weapon-momentum-exploiting, anyway), but I know Hyper Dash alone does.  It's easier if you have both, though; positioning is less picky.

*gives Perfectedidiot2 ZEE UPPERCUT!!*

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)