New Capcom game to be showcased at Comic-Con

HokutoNoBen · 27264

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 08:15:21 PM
Oh, PLEASE. All of the time you've known me, you think I'm gonna stand and just watch a fanbase LIKE a game? =P

But to be honest, tank controls are outdated.

This is what think is an understatement. I mean, honestly, unless the name of the game is "Resident Evil" and/or the game's director is Shinji Mikami, you're not likely going to get away with trying to market a game with tank controls to a mainstream-oriented audience. Hell, even the "core" Rockman fan base would likely have certain expectations of what a 3D game should be doing. So, I'm also a believer that a new DASH game would have to basically "re-invent itself" in order to capture what it couldn't the first time around.

Of course, on the other hand, part of me still operates by the theory that "Mega Man Universe" is indeed that "re-birth" of the DASH series. I'd be completely open to a game that continues in that same setting and utilizes the same characters, but Trigger himself will be doing new things, in a new surrounding and with possibly new powers altogether. It would be a fairly interesting if that is what Inafune implied when he said that the MT Framework engine was "originally constructed with a DASH game in mind" from the jump.  8D

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 08:26:51 PM
This is what think is an understatement. I mean, honestly, unless the name of the game is "Resident Evil" and/or the game's director is Shinji Mikami, you're not likely going to get away with trying to market a game with tank controls to a mainstream-oriented audience. Hell, even the "core" Rockman fan base would likely have certain expectations of what a 3D game should be doing. So, I'm also a believer that a new DASH game would have to basically "re-invent itself" in order to capture what it couldn't the first time around.

Of course, on the other hand, part of me still operates by the theory that "Mega Man Universe" is indeed that "re-birth" of the DASH series. I'd be completely open to a game that continues in that same setting and utilizes the same characters, but Trigger himself will be doing new things, in a new surrounding and with possibly new powers altogether. It would be a fairly interesting if that is what Inafune implied when he said that the MT Framework engine was "originally constructed with a DASH game in mind" from the jump.  8D
Resident Evil got away with it because it was essencially a simplified third person shooter with emphasis on the aiming. So everyone who was afraid of dual-analog aiming could enjoy a game with slow enemies where you popped out their heads one by one. And the controls worked well, the game was very fun because of that. Resi 5 managed to give us the second analog stick, but stupidly, still no movement while shooting.

I remember that one interview where Inafune said he'd love to make a Legends game with the Dead Rising engine. That would certainly be interesting. I'd love to see something like that. Maybe with Lost Planet controls?

Aresian

Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 10:25:06 PM
Personally, Legends would lose a lot of the charm if it became "another shooter" so in retrospect with what the gaming commodities are now these days... and going in line with what a certain Red Priest once said... "Maybe it would be better that we DON'T get a Legends 3"

Things have changed too much and expectations are retarded at this point. I suppose I'll return to my hovel and frown as I watch one of the few gaming series that I like, turn to mush. Feh.

I'll just wait and watch. Maybe toss in Megaman Classic Collections disc and enjoy the good old days again.

... I sound like Rez.

Per the question before: Because I honestly dislike DC to the max and after the god-awful creation of DC and Mortal Krapbat, I don't ever want to see anything DC oriented again. But that's a personal bias that doesn't really matter. But for the record, the one thing I hate more than Mortal Kombat IS DC.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 11:07:45 PM
Personally, Legends would lose a lot of the charm if it became "another shooter" so in retrospect with what the gaming commodities are now these days... and going in line with what a certain Red Priest once said... "Maybe it would be better that we DON'T get a Legends 3"

Things have changed too much and expectations are retarded at this point. I suppose I'll return to my hovel and frown as I watch one of the few gaming series that I like, turn to mush. Feh.

I'll just wait and watch. Maybe toss in Megaman Classic Collections disc and enjoy the good old days again.

... I sound like Rez.

Per the question before: Because I honestly dislike DC to the max and after the god-awful creation of DC and Mortal Krapbat, I don't ever want to see anything DC oriented again. But that's a personal bias that doesn't really matter. But for the record, the one thing I hate more than Mortal Kombat IS DC.
So basically, it's like this. If Legends got an actually GOOD gameplay, playable by modern standards without its camera bullshit, fans would hate it? So that means there SHOULDN'T be a Legends 3?

Legends was a decent, but not incredible game series. It's pretty fun, but people love it because it's the only way to get halfway good 3D Megaman gameplay. That's no reason to have ridiculously big expectations over a series like that. And if it left on a cliffhanger, as people tell me, there SHOULD be a sequel. Because you don't just leave games like that. Plus, fans bitching about how their favorite things change while other people enjoy the new good stuff is something that I truly enjoy. So I would take a truly special delight in something like this.

DC-wise, I guess everybody's got their tastes. Your soul has not yet been touched by the gloriousness that is DC Comics. When it does, you shall be truly forgiven. Praise be to Kirby, for the Gospel of DC is for all his children. For it was Superman who saw that we were having a bad time with fiction, and died for our crimes. And on the third week after the shitty clone event that succeeded it, he rose from the dead. Praise be to Ellis, Morrison and Waid for blessing us with their works of awesome. As it has been, as it shall always be. In the name of the Supes, the Bats and the Wondy, Amen. And let no more bad writing curse our awesome works. Glory be to DC.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 11:18:32 PM
Personally:

Marvel > DC. Well, mostly because I have plenty of Marvel comics, but it had it's fair share of oddities, like the alternate scenarios, for example, we have Spidey IN THE FUTURE. How cool is that?  8B

But eh, I'll just wait and see what comes crawling out of Inufaune's head.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 11:19:34 PM

To me, such an attitude doesn't even give a fair chance to the notion of "trying". I mean, have you seen the likes of Mikami's Vanquish? The game is basically as far removed from the "traditional shooter" as can be. People I know who had a chance to try it at E3 basically said it has more in common with the arcade shooters of old, because the game is so damn fast, and not like what else is on the market. The way Sam moves and utilizes his weaponry in that game could have been the ideal formula for a DASH game, in another time and place.

Again, I'm convinced that a good part of the reason why DASH didn't "catch on" back in the day, was because it had rather poor timing. Tank controls, for the first 3D entrant of a beloved franchise, in an era where Mario 64 had already set the "standard" for how the 3D Action Platformer should be done years prior? Is it really any wonder why the game got slammed quite a bit in that area alone? To me, it was a lost opportunity (especially since Inafune was planning for what would eventually be "Onimusha" at the same time). I mean, for all sakes and purposes, 3D Rockman could have done something to the effect of Kamiya's DMC a whole 3-4 years earlier, if only Inafune had that kind of foresight.

But in any case, what I want most of all is for, if Inafune does return to the franchise, to do more at least NOTICE what everybody else is doing, and then turn those ideas to make Mega Man unique. That's the kind of fundamental thinking that made the first Rockman game stand out amongst all the other dime-a-dozen 8-bit action-platformers back in the 80s, and certainly could make a 3D Rockman stand out now, too.

Aresian

Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 11:27:03 PM
Cultish obsession of DC aside... I'm not going to waste energy, mostly because the subject is already irritating.

Frankly, the only way I would be satisfied with (ANOTHER) a 3rd person shooter version of Legends is if it had some semblance of Lost Planet... which retains more character than a disembodied hand holding a gun. There is potential, but honestly, there was nothing wrong with Legends gameplay wise. I had absolutely no trouble playing the game, so I'm inclined to think people are batshit insane.

Then again, I've always been inclined to think this.

Mind you, I didn't love Megaman because it was a 3D Megaman that was great. I loved it because of the story and interesting take on a Megaman RPG-style game. It was different, it was a fresh taste of Megaman in my mouth. Something that hasn't really been since EXE and Command Missions. If it became a simple shooter... I think it would lose that charm, that is all.

And well Ben... I want to believe. Maybe you're right and maybe we'll get something worth our time. Maybe not. I think as long as the main stream is where it is now, things will just start to get worse and worse. Sadly, the way things are in pretty much ANY stream is that a lot of stuff is just rehashes or a previous idea given a new face... something we are all too well aware of in the Megaman franchise, but is prevalent in every franchise pretty much... it kinda kills my faith a bit. When things are "new" they reek of the stench of "Main Stream" and when things are reminiscent they reek of stale decay... But I guess the 3DS era and whatever else Nintendo throws my way will keep gaming alive a while more.

Maybe.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 11:50:04 PM
Personally:

Marvel > DC. Well, mostly because I have plenty of Marvel comics, but it had it's fair share of oddities, like the alternate scenarios, for example, we have Spidey IN THE FUTURE. How cool is that?  8B

But eh, I'll just wait and see what comes crawling out of Inufaune's head.
Oh yeah, Spidey in the future. That was cool. I guess.

Because DC totally doesn't have the best damn future incarnation of a superhero ever made, right? >_> Or even the Elseworlds? "What If?" <<<<<<<< DC Elseworlds. (Specially with stuff like Red Son, Gotham by Gaslight, Kingdom Come, Secret Identity...) I liked Marvels, but that's pretty much the only amazing alternate reality thingy I've seen from Marvel.

To me, such an attitude doesn't even give a fair chance to the notion of "trying". I mean, have you seen the likes of Mikami's Vanquish? The game is basically as far removed from the "traditional shooter" as can be. People I know who had a chance to try it at E3 basically said it has more in common with the arcade shooters of old, because the game is so damn fast, and not like what else is on the market. The way Sam moves and utilizes his weaponry in that game could have been the ideal formula for a DASH game, in another time and place.

Again, I'm convinced that a good part of the reason why DASH didn't "catch on" back in the day, was because it had rather poor timing. Tank controls, for the first 3D entrant of a beloved franchise, in an era where Mario 64 had already set the "standard" for how the 3D Action Platformer should be done years prior? Is it really any wonder why the game got slammed quite a bit in that area alone? To me, it was a lost opportunity (especially since Inafune was planning for what would eventually be "Onimusha" at the same time). I mean, for all sakes and purposes, 3D Rockman could have done something to the effect of Kamiya's DMC a whole 3-4 years earlier, if only Inafune had that kind of foresight.

But in any case, what I want most of all is for, if Inafune does return to the franchise, to do more at least NOTICE what everybody else is doing, and then turn those ideas to make Mega Man unique. That's the kind of fundamental thinking that made the first Rockman game stand out amongst all the other dime-a-dozen 8-bit action-platformers back in the 80s, and certainly could make a 3D Rockman stand out now, too.
AGREED. Make Megaman a symbol of quality again in actual non-2D games. Evolve the franchise as it needs to be. Make it awesome.

Cultish obsession of DC aside... I'm not going to waste energy, mostly because the subject is already irritating.

Frankly, the only way I would be satisfied with (ANOTHER) a 3rd person shooter version of Legends is if it had some semblance of Lost Planet... which retains more character than a disembodied hand holding a gun. There is potential, but honestly, there was nothing wrong with Legends gameplay wise. I had absolutely no trouble playing the game, so I'm inclined to think people are batshit insane.

Then again, I've always been inclined to think this.

Mind you, I didn't love Megaman because it was a 3D Megaman that was great. I loved it because of the story and interesting take on a Megaman RPG-style game. It was different, it was a fresh taste of Megaman in my mouth. Something that hasn't really been since EXE and Command Missions. If it became a simple shooter... I think it would lose that charm, that is all.

And well Ben... I want to believe. Maybe you're right and maybe we'll get something worth our time. Maybe not. I think as long as the main stream is where it is now, things will just start to get worse and worse. Sadly, the way things are in pretty much ANY stream is that a lot of stuff is just rehashes or a previous idea given a new face... something we are all too well aware of in the Megaman franchise, but is prevalent in every franchise pretty much... it kinda kills my faith a bit. When things are "new" they reek of the stench of "Main Stream" and when things are reminiscent they reek of stale decay... But I guess the 3DS era and whatever else Nintendo throws my way will keep gaming alive a while more.

Maybe.
Hatred of new things and mainstream stuff simply keeps you out of the good quality things that tend to come out. Granted, not everything is good, but gaming's getting better and better along the years. Controls get perfected so there's more options, and characters are more easily controllable. You might be able to play the game well, and I say the same thing about my most favorite game of all time, Shenmue. But I grant that its tank controls are a bit useless, and if a sequel ever comes out for it, I'd like them to improve the gameplay. There's nothing sacrilegious about that. Nothing bad about keeping up with the Joneses. It wouldn't lose its charm if it got easier controls. It would simply be BETTER. The first version didn't have better controls, because there weren't dual analogs back then (I think) so they had to make due with a camera. But it would have worked awesomely as a third person shooter. Or with Metroid Prime controls. It doesn't even have to use the second analog for you purists, why not give it a damn lock-on mechanism and make the character move freely? Seems to me you're just afraid of change and evolution. Things can't always be kept the way they are.

...and now I REALLY want to know what got you to hate DC so much. =P

Aresian

Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 12:11:53 AM
I'm not so much afraid of change so much so that I'm afraid of what changing things can mean at times. Changing gameplay can be acceptable, often what a game needs. But with change, comes greater change at times. And that change can start to embargo on things like story and presentation.

As for DC. The Flash is reason enough. YES, YOU. Because Flash can outrun anything. Time, gravity, death. Have you ever heard of someone who can outrun DEATH? The logic behind The Flash hurts my brain. IT HURTS. Makes me wanna fist someone up the butt.

Don't get me started on Superman behind a propaganda piece.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 12:14:10 AM
"Your speed means nothing if it's death that you're running from..."

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 10, 2010, 12:45:18 AM
I'm not so much afraid of change so much so that I'm afraid of what changing things can mean at times. Changing gameplay can be acceptable, often what a game needs. But with change, comes greater change at times. And that change can start to embargo on things like story and presentation.

As for DC. The Flash is reason enough. YES, YOU. Because Flash can outrun anything. Time, gravity, death. Have you ever heard of someone who can outrun DEATH? The logic behind The Flash hurts my brain. IT HURTS. Makes me wanna fist someone up the butt.

Don't get me started on Superman behind a propaganda piece.
You think they'd really change the story of a Megaman game? And of course the presentation will be different, it's years later. It'll be pretty, shiny and new. And Megaman will be huge, wield a machine gun, and he will be drawn by Rob Liefeld. And he will be fighting bad guys in a huge post-apocalyptic wasteland, with a semi-nude Roll in a bikini.

HAHAHAHA, You actually dislike a character because the character is TOO powerful? That's what makes DC stories so interesting to read. Because the stories are actually interesting enough to make TRUE challenges for the heroes, for them to overcome. Not just rely on cool-looking villains with random gimmicks. Read a Flash comic and see if he has it easy. Heroes like him use their power in creative ways to actually surpass their challenges. Yes, he can outrun death. And some anime characters can destroy universes or crap like that. DC logic can be followed, if you actually look stuff up.

And Superman? Propaganda piece? Every hero on the Golden Age was a propaganda piece. Heck, even in the Silver Age. But Superman has proven time and time again he's not just some kind of american symbol. He's a hero for everyone. He's the everyman, the all-powerful champion that actually is more human than us, because he does what's important, and never bends his morality. That's what's so great about the character. Heck, read All-Star Superman. Or the latest New Krypton arc, where he left Earth to rebuild his own planet. See if he's still a "propaganda piece" then. I gather you don't know much about DC, so you really shouldn't be saying you don't like it just because you don't like the concepts. I used to hate the DC concepts until I read them. Guy that runs fast? Guy who makes green objects of light? Those sounded lame. But the execution is amazing.

Aresian

Reply #36 on: July 10, 2010, 12:57:40 AM
You think they'd really change the story of a Megaman game? And of course the presentation will be different, it's years later. It'll be pretty, shiny and new. And Megaman will be huge, wield a machine gun, and he will be drawn by Rob Liefeld. And he will be fighting bad guys in a huge post-apocalyptic wasteland, with a semi-nude Roll in a bikini.

Ugh. This is exactly what I mean. THIS right here. Of course, you're most likely trolling me at this point.

It's like Bomberman Act Zero or whatever the [tornado fang] they call it. IT CEASED TO BE [chameleon sting]ing BOMBERMAN. It just looks like hardcore rehash bullshit.

Excuse me while I drown out your post with repeated bashings of my skull.

HAHAHAHA, You actually dislike a character because the character is TOO powerful? That's what makes DC stories so interesting to read. Because the stories are actually interesting enough to make TRUE challenges for the heroes, for them to overcome. Not just rely on cool-looking villains with random gimmicks. Read a Flash comic and see if he has it easy. Heroes like him use their power in creative ways to actually surpass their challenges. Yes, he can outrun death. And some anime characters can destroy universes or crap like that. DC logic can be followed, if you actually look stuff up.

And Superman? Propaganda piece? Every hero on the Golden Age was a propaganda piece. Heck, even in the Silver Age. But Superman has proven time and time again he's not just some kind of american symbol. He's a hero for everyone. He's the everyman, the all-powerful champion that actually is more human than us, because he does what's important, and never bends his morality. That's what's so great about the character. Heck, read All-Star Superman. Or the latest New Krypton arc, where he left Earth to rebuild his own planet. See if he's still a "propaganda piece" then. I gather you don't know much about DC, so you really shouldn't be saying you don't like it just because you don't like the concepts. I used to hate the DC concepts until I read them. Guy that runs fast? Guy who makes green objects of light? Those sounded lame. But the execution is amazing.

Eh, It's not an issue of overpowered that bothers me. It is a lack of logical logic. I can't logically wrap my brain around something that can run so fast that it becomes invincible. Hell, I even go as far to ask how his internal workings don't collapse on himself. But maybe I give it too much though. As for Anime... well, if you know me, you know I hate TTGL which is a fine example of horrible overpowered idiocy. Again, never liked Superman, no matter how much of a chance I gave him. I even tried that Smallville stuff... which didn't even feel like Superman. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. But eh...

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 10, 2010, 01:11:20 AM
Ultraguy Odyssey IV.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #38 on: July 10, 2010, 01:55:31 AM
Oh yeah, Spidey in the future. That was cool. I guess.

Because DC totally doesn't have the best damn future incarnation of a superhero ever made, right? >_> Or even the Elseworlds? "What If?" <<<<<<<< DC Elseworlds. (Specially with stuff like Red Son, Gotham by Gaslight, Kingdom Come, Secret Identity...) I liked Marvels, but that's pretty much the only amazing alternate reality thingy I've seen from Marvel.

Batman's the only thing I like about DC, I'll let that slide. What I've read (and watched), things can easily spiral out of control in most DC comics, movies, and shows, Marvel had a civil war, but it never had to get A SECOND EARTH to participate in a war... and Marvel has Deadpool.

*ahem* back on the subject of the hidden game please.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #39 on: July 10, 2010, 02:08:38 AM
Oh, PLEASE. All of the time you've known me, you think I'm gonna stand and just watch a fanbase LIKE a game? =P
Touche.

But to be honest, tank controls are outdated. Metroid Prime was the last game to use them decently, and that's because the directions were included in the analog stick. It didn't make looking around any easier, though. If a decent Legends 3 game is made, it's gonna be one of two things. Either it's gonna be a third-person shooter, with two analogs for moving and turning and MAYBE a lock-on button if you're easymodo, or it's gonna be a game where you run around freely like any platformer, and have a lock-on trigger. My money's on the latter, but I'd love for it to be the former. With no lock-on. It would drive the fans MAAAAAD. =P
It's amusing, hearing the thoughts of how a MegaMan sequel should handle from somebody who doesn't actually like MegaMan.

I don't know how any gamer worth their thumbs can stand the dual-analogue system, leaving only shoulder buttons actually usable.  It's a very unnatural control setup to me.  But you don't see me crawling up the ass of.....well, whatever non-Wii FPS is all the rage these days.  This would be like if some traditional fighter fan was bitching about how Smash should be more like......*remembers Fox Only/Final Destination*  Nevermind.

Yeah, what can I say.  I don't really care about "hardcore" shooters.  The only reason I even like Goldeneye is for the infinite dual rocket launchers cheat.  >w<

MegaMan at its core is not a shooter, but a platformer that happens to include shooting as your attack method (and NOBODY wants to see it turn out like Shadow The Hedgehog).  That means in 3D you need either manual camera control or a lock-on.  Preferably the latter if you work under the assumption that enemies are not gracious enough to wait until they're on the same horizontal axis as you before attacking (however X7 wrecked this by leaving the lock-on fully automated...even in 2D, where it shouldn't have existed in the first place).

I even tried that Smallville stuff... which didn't even feel like Superman. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. But eh...
I happen to actually like Smallville, except for two things.  One, Clark being unable to fly is no longer believable after High School graduation, which was 4 years ago.  Two, Season 8.  It somehow found a way to undo every meaningful thing that ever happened, along with copping out of any buildup that was going on towards an actual fight during the finale.  Seriously, you go from 7 to 9, you miss NOTHING, except Clark has a time-travelling ring and Jimmy Olsen is actually Jimmy Olsen's older now-dead brother (well, "Henry", we'll miss you; next time use your [dark hold] little brother who couldn't even be bothered to show up at your wedding as a lead pipe shield).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 10, 2010, 02:13:46 AM
Ugh. This is exactly what I mean. THIS right here. Of course, you're most likely trolling me at this point.

It's like Bomberman Act Zero or whatever the [tornado fang] they call it. IT CEASED TO BE [chameleon sting]ing BOMBERMAN. It just looks like hardcore rehash bullshit.

Excuse me while I drown out your post with repeated bashings of my skull.

Eh, It's not an issue of overpowered that bothers me. It is a lack of logical logic. I can't logically wrap my brain around something that can run so fast that it becomes invincible. Hell, I even go as far to ask how his internal workings don't collapse on himself. But maybe I give it too much though. As for Anime... well, if you know me, you know I hate TTGL which is a fine example of horrible overpowered idiocy. Again, never liked Superman, no matter how much of a chance I gave him. I even tried that Smallville stuff... which didn't even feel like Superman. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. But eh...
I'm trolling you because there's no way Capcom would ever let that happen to Megaman. Or Inafune, for that matter. Megaman is deeply treasured by both fans and the company. The company are a bunch of jackasses who think they can sell repeated expansions of the same game as sequels, and people will buy them. They feed fans what fans want. And they were the very first company to simply make what fans truly wanted, a new 8-bit game of the original series. They KNOW how to please old-school people. They're the one company who puts up with their incessant bullshit and makes the impossible possible on that respect. Plus, this isn't the 90's. That kind of crap doesn't happen, and Capcom, unlike Hudson, tends to make good quality stuff all the way. Some less than other, but all decent.

Logic? You want LOGIC? You play video games, which have some of the most idiotic stories and concepts of all time. DC has actually explained the concepts of their heroes time and time again. The Speedforce has been explained many times, you just gotta go and look for it. Unlike most games, anime and other bullshit, which just places characters jumping miles high and holding giant swords as a STANDARD, comic books actually do try to inject a tiny bit of reality into it. But it's a COMIC BOOK. it's not supposed to be taken seriously in terms of logic. It's a world of gods and magic. Why should you worry about things being LOGICAL?

Oh, and FYI, TTGL's actually my favorite anime of all time. Precisely because it's about defying all logic and reason, and surpassing everything. That's what makes the fiction we see GOOD. Because it enables stuff to go over the limit. Because it enables pretty much all lines to be crossed, so we can have an incredible story.

Batman's the only thing I like about DC, I'll let that slide. What I've read (and watched), things can easily spiral out of control in most DC comics, movies, and shows, Marvel had a civil war, but it never had to get A SECOND EARTH to participate in a war... and Marvel has Deadpool.
You implying that Marvel doesn't have time travelling, deals with demons, several tiers of different kinds of gods, that all the heroes in Marvel haven't died and came back to life already (Thanos event), that it doesn't have PLANET-EATING entities, talking raccoons, separate dimensions where many heroes of different dimensions have gathered to fight a common evil, tons of cosmic [parasitic bomb] happening all the time, and more incompetent villains and heroes that let stuff go out of hand than you can shake a stick at? The Civil War was kids' stuff! Scarlet Witch wished all mutants to be gone! The Skrulls invaded them after a build-up plan for years! The earth was governed by villains for quite awhile! Thanos took over all of existance then gave it up because he was BORED. Jesus Christ, Marvel has MORE crap than DC to sort out. DC normally can give a happy ending to stuff, a resolution to most things. Marvel simply ties stuff into the next event over and over so nothing can ever be FINISHED. This Heroic Age reboot settled stuff on Earth but hooly crap, [parasitic bomb]'s getting real on the cosmic side.

Touche.
It's amusing, hearing the thoughts of how a MegaMan sequel should handle from somebody who doesn't actually like MegaMan.

I don't know how any gamer worth their thumbs can stand the dual-analogue system, leaving only shoulder buttons actually usable.  It's a very unnatural control setup to me.  But you don't see me crawling up the ass of.....well, whatever non-Wii FPS is all the rage these days.  This would be like if some traditional fighter fan was bitching about how Smash should be more like......*remembers Fox Only/Final Destination*  Nevermind.

Yeah, what can I say.  I don't really care about "hardcore" shooters.  The only reason I even like Goldeneye is for the infinite dual rocket launchers cheat.  >w<

MegaMan at its core is not a shooter, but a platformer that happens to include shooting as your attack method (and NOBODY wants to see it turn out like Shadow The Hedgehog).  That means in 3D you need either manual camera control or a lock-on.  Preferably the latter if you work under the assumption that enemies are not gracious enough to wait until they're on the same horizontal axis as you before attacking (however X7 wrecked this by leaving the lock-on fully automated...even in 2D, where it shouldn't have existed in the first place).
I happen to actually like Smallville, except for two things.  One, Clark being unable to fly is no longer believable after High School graduation, which was 4 years ago.  Two, Season 8.  It somehow found a way to undo every meaningful thing that ever happened, along with copping out of any buildup that was going on towards an actual fight during the finale.  Seriously, you go from 7 to 9, you miss NOTHING, except Clark has a time-travelling ring and Jimmy Olsen is actually Jimmy Olsen's older now-dead brother (well, "Henry", we'll miss you; next time use your [dark hold] little brother who couldn't even be bothered to show up at your wedding as a lead pipe shield).
Actually, I do like Megaman. Heck, isn't it one of the reasons to belong here? But I like the original series. And The first BN game. And the first Zero game was kinda decent too. And the PSP remakes.

Can STAND the dual analogs? It's the best control setup there is. It's a control setup where you can control both your character and the camera at the same time. And trust me, I started TRULY liking FPS games on consoles kinda late. PC was the only place where FPS games really worked in terms of control. But once the dual analog setting was installed, all it takes is a tiny bit of getting used to, and after that, it's like riding a bike. I actually don't play alot of FPS games, but when I do, it feels natural. And for third person shooters, even more so. Tell me ANY kind of controller setup where you can move your character around and aim at the same time, manually, with the very best of controls. You can't. Wiimote's good for aiming on the screen, but for actual turning? Nope.

It actually makes me laugh when you talk about "hardcore shooters". You know, there's a VERY big distinction between hardcore shooters and smalltime, easier shooters. Hardcore shooters? Quake, TF2, Counter-Strike, STALKER, Serious Sam, ... those are hardcore. PC titles, you need quick aim, constant use of resources and buttons, constant quicksave when in singleplayer... While console titles, like Halo and Bioshock, are ridiculously casual and user-friendly. Halo was tailored for a console setup, because an analog stick isn't as quick as a mouse/keyboard setup. The health recovery is specially for that. Halo is the Super Smash Bros of shooters, man. XD Why do you think so many people play it? Because it's EASY. It's easy to get into, it's got cartoony jumps and weapons that pop around, it's got people in heavy armor suits jumping like Michael Jordan, it's got colorful vehicles... But yeah, like Smash Bros, it's got good strategy when required, and it's pretty damn good when you start getting into it.

I had your EXACT mindset before I actually tried shooters seriously. I ended up really enjoying them. And the dual analog control does end up being the most faithful kind of control you can ever have in a game where you HAVE to look around at things. Seriously, when you can't stop and just set the camera right, you have to use something like it. And it works WONDERS for the game. It actually makes it work flawlessly, you can look everywhere you want, there are no perspectives unavailable to you in half a second, and it's fantastic.

Platformers can work really well with a third-person shooter mechanic. Look at Crackdown, for example. it's got awesome platforming elements.
And if you want a platformer with shooting, look no further. Just because Shadow wasn't able to do it, it doesn't mean a ton of other games can't as well. Ever played Jak? Or Ratchet & Clank?
Here's an example of how Jak handles the Shadow gameplay FLAWLESSLY, by simply working well.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWTBckzZPA&feature=related[/youtube]
In Ratchet & Clank, you can actually choose between strafing and moving normally. And it's a great platformer! Why should we need lock-on to a single target? With lock-on, we can't aim at enemies the way we like. This way, we can. Perfect setup for such a game. No need to go back to archaic gameplay formats. Join the present.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #41 on: July 10, 2010, 02:40:50 AM
You implying that Marvel doesn't have time travelling, deals with demons, several tiers of different kinds of gods, that all the heroes in Marvel haven't died and came back to life already (Thanos event), that it doesn't have PLANET-EATING entities, talking raccoons, separate dimensions where many heroes of different dimensions have gathered to fight a common evil, tons of cosmic [parasitic bomb] happening all the time, and more incompetent villains and heroes that let stuff go out of hand than you can shake a stick at? The Civil War was kids' stuff! Scarlet Witch wished all mutants to be gone! The Skrulls invaded them after a build-up plan for years! The earth was governed by villains for quite awhile! Thanos took over all of existance then gave it up because he was BORED. Jesus Christ, Marvel has MORE crap than DC to sort out. DC normally can give a happy ending to stuff, a resolution to most things. Marvel simply ties stuff into the next event over and over so nothing can ever be FINISHED. This Heroic Age reboot settled stuff on Earth but hooly crap, [parasitic bomb]'s getting real on the cosmic side.
Typing up my reply to ya right now.

Sorry for not being able to catch up to recent DC events because of it's production rates. HUZ-ZAH! Plus that episode he was thrown into the heavens NUDE in smallville in an episode I can't remember shows my lack of intrest in Dee-Cee.

Gee, thanks for summarizing Rockman Zero GBA games.

Aresian

Reply #42 on: July 10, 2010, 02:43:47 AM
*stares blankly* Two different sides of the line indeed.

This is totally pointless now. I'm gonna go play Megaman like a good fan should. Seriously. [tornado fang] this. >_>

But I will say, Capcom has my respect for being "jackassically incessant fan pleasing vidyagaem makers" because they atleast keep it real.

Never the less, before I get a title of "bitches be tripping" due to the warring energy that swells within, primarily because of this [tornado fang]ing heat and secondarily because of the MASSIVE difference in existence between us; I'll just walk away. And walk away fast.

Final comment: Logic is fun. I apply logic to even fantasy based things. After all, where is the fun if you don't try to explain something? At least to the best of your ability. Also, most of the stuff I like comes with reasoning behind why and often contains encyclopedia based formats to explain said things. But this is longer than previously intended now. kthxbai

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #43 on: July 10, 2010, 02:46:34 AM
Don't forget that Hudson realized the folly that was Act Zero and quickly went back to the original design.

Now if only they'd make a new Adventure Island... (they're making a new Bonk, they might as well)

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 10, 2010, 02:53:49 AM
Sorry for not being able to catch up to recent DC events because of it's production rates. HUZ-ZAH! Plus that episode he was thrown into the heavens NUDE in smallville in an episode I can't remember shows my lack of intrest in Dee-Cee.
Gee, thanks for summarizing Rockman Zero GBA games.
What? I just described MARVEL events, dude. DC events aren't really alot to follow. I have a harder time catching up with Marvel's crap than I ever did with DC.
And the Zero games were pure anime.

*stares blankly* Two different sides of the line indeed.
This is totally pointless now. I'm gonna go play Megaman like a good fan should. Seriously. [tornado fang] this. >_>
But I will say, Capcom has my respect for being "jackassically incessant fan pleasing vidyagaem makers" because they atleast keep it real.
Never the less, before I get a title of "bitches be tripping" due to the warring energy that swells within, primarily because of this [tornado fang]ing heat and secondarily because of the MASSIVE difference in existence between us; I'll just walk away. And walk away fast.
Final comment: Logic is fun. I apply logic to even fantasy based things. After all, where is the fun if you don't try to explain something? At least to the best of your ability. Also, most of the stuff I like comes with reasoning behind why and often contains encyclopedia based formats to explain said things. But this is longer than previously intended now. kthxbai
Capcom's awesome, I never said they weren't. Aside from getting rid of Clover and kinda disrespecting certain franchises (DMC, for example), they've been the only company to play on both sides of the fence. Pampering the old-school nerds, and delivering new awesome content like Lost Planet and Dead Rising. They make it so everyone's pleased, and I can seriously respect that.

Heheheh, I love rage. 8D Dude, chill. Logic is fun, but it's not always required.You say that DC doesn't have logic. Instead of getting a basis out of Smallville episodes (which would be the same as me using the old american Megaman cartoon for my opinion on the whole franchise), why not go and look for the encyclopedia-based format widely available online that pretty much explains every single power and event, their basis, how they work in such and such a situation, how they were created, in what way, etc. It's available. You're only blind if you don't want to see.

Don't forget that Hudson realized the folly that was Act Zero and quickly went back to the original design.

Now if only they'd make a new Adventure Island... (they're making a new Bonk, they might as well)
They will eventually. Everyone's following the fad of re-releasing the classics.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 02:55:50 AM
I come in to this thread, and I see a debate with full walls of text... and also talk about if DC is [parasitic bomb] or not.

wat

Anyway. I guess, I'll detach myself from this discussion... a bit.

So. Legends 3, eh? How it should be done, hmm?

Honestly, the only things those games need is a bit of improvement in boring dungeons design, better controls and camera.
Oh, and the lock on. Let's not forget about that.

Of course, a bit more of a revamp wouldn't be so bad now, wouldn't it?

They should give us more different gameplay elements. Like... I dunno. Bigger world to explore? Huge ass amount of INTERESTING side quests and dungeons? Maybe some super fine vehicles... or maybe we could even fly the Flutter and fight with Bonnes or whomever. Or even more developed "dating" elements(like, I dunno. I would totally want to make Tron feel good... if you know what I mean.... and I think you do). I'm not saying it should turn into GTA. But such things would the game more interesting... and even extended gameplay quite a lot.

ALSO, JESUS [tornado fang] PEOPLE! THERE'S A COMIC BOOK THREAD FOR DISCUSSION ABOUT YOUR DEE-CEES AND MAHVELLS! I MADE IT! GO AND TALK ABOUT IT THERE!

That'll be all.

^_^

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 03:05:45 AM
I think that the Bonnes might side with Rock in Legends 3, judging by how they changed in 2...

Maybe a friendly skirmish would work, though...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 10, 2010, 03:10:15 AM
I come in to this thread, and I see a debate with full walls of text... and also talk about if DC is [parasitic bomb] or not.

wat

Anyway. I guess, I'll detach myself from this discussion... a bit.

So. Legends 3, eh? How it should be done, hmm?

Honestly, the only things those games need is a bit of improvement in boring dungeons design, better controls and camera.
Oh, and the lock on. Let's not forget about that.

Of course, a bit more of a revamp wouldn't be so bad now, wouldn't it?

They should give us more different gameplay elements. Like... I dunno. Bigger world to explore? Huge ass amount of INTERESTING side quests and dungeons? Maybe some super fine vehicles... or maybe we could even fly the Flutter and fight with Bonnes or whomever. Or even more developed "dating" elements(like, I dunno. I would totally want to make Tron feel good... if you know what I mean.... and I think you do). I'm not saying it should turn into GTA. But such things would the game more interesting... and even extended gameplay quite a lot.

ALSO, JESUS [tornado fang] PEOPLE! THERE'S A COMIC BOOK THREAD FOR DISCUSSION ABOUT YOUR DEE-CEES AND MAHVELLS! I MADE IT! GO AND TALK ABOUT IT THERE!

That'll be all.

^_^
I've already given my opinion on how the gameplay should work. A Ratchet & Clank style of play would work quite well, seeing as the shooting/platforming elements would be played together without a need for locking onto a single enemy.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 03:12:25 AM
What? I just described MARVEL events, dude. DC events aren't really alot to follow. I have a harder time catching up with Marvel's crap than I ever did with DC.
And the Zero games were pure anime.

It's why I couldn't keep intrest. :P

Anime? it had bits of world folktale. It's why the story was at it's best at Z4. Lord Forte, don't forget that this is RPM, people do have the tendancy to lose track of the topic once it hits the second page of it's lifespan.

For a third Legends game; try combining the Ratchet and Clank with the early Spyro aspects of gameplay, and let's see how that goes.

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 03:18:07 AM
I've already given my opinion on how the gameplay should work. A Ratchet & Clank style of play would work quite well, seeing as the shooting/platforming elements would be played together without a need for locking onto a single enemy.
Yes.
True, but you see... if Legends suddenly became something like Ratchet & Clank... it wouldn't be Legends anymore, now would be?
After all... Legends is all about keeping platforming to minimum and instead focusing attention on exploring creepy dungeons.
Sure, the R&C elements could be implemented within the dungeons... but it just wouldn't be the same.
I think I'm not the only one who thinks that way.
Not saying your viewpoint is bad, but for me it would work best for something like X9... if they would even attempt making it fully/partially 3d again.