New Capcom game to be showcased at Comic-Con

HokutoNoBen · 27256

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #225 on: July 27, 2010, 03:36:01 PM
I guess if I actually cared about fighting games I'd be pretty stoked.  Maybe.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #226 on: July 27, 2010, 04:18:33 PM
Funnily enough, I scarcely see fighting games with demos out nowadays. The last ones I can remember, were the demos for Virtua Fighter 5 and the beta for Street Fighter 2 HD. They should really put more demos out. Stuff like two available characters and one level for people to play in. It'd give us a chance to try out the feel of it.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #227 on: July 28, 2010, 05:58:10 AM
Funnily enough, I scarcely see fighting games with demos out nowadays. The last ones I can remember, were the demos for Virtua Fighter 5 and the beta for Street Fighter 2 HD. They should really put more demos out. Stuff like two available characters and one level for people to play in. It'd give us a chance to try out the feel of it.

It's basically because, unless it's a game like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm or DBZ: Raging Blast, there's no real need for it. Making a demo for the sake of an impressionable demographic that largely consists of kids is fine in that case, because you want those kids to play the game. Such a thing can't be said for the likes of more "hardcore" fighting games, where the majority of the fan base expresses neither the need or desire for a demo. Just tell them when they can buy the full release. So, with that much in mind, the companies don't see the need spend the money and time to craft such a demo.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #228 on: July 28, 2010, 07:27:24 AM
Well, the SNK fighters have demos, did that help them? (Honest question, any idea what NGBC sold?)

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #229 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:58 PM
It's basically because, unless it's a game like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm or DBZ: Raging Blast, there's no real need for it. Making a demo for the sake of an impressionable demographic that largely consists of kids is fine in that case, because you want those kids to play the game. Such a thing can't be said for the likes of more "hardcore" fighting games, where the majority of the fan base expresses neither the need or desire for a demo. Just tell them when they can buy the full release. So, with that much in mind, the companies don't see the need spend the money and time to craft such a demo.
Why would the demo-playing demographic largely consist of kids? What's stopping most adults with a console to download a demo to a good fighter, so they can see it's decent?

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: July 28, 2010, 05:11:19 PM
Why would the demo-playing demographic largely consist of kids? What's stopping most adults with a console to download a demo to a good fighter, so they can see it's decent?

Because that's what the numbers have shown. The more "Shounen"/kid-friendly a property is, the more likely the company will actually invest in putting out a demo. Otherwise, the likes of Capcom and Namco stand to save money by just relying on "in store kiosks" in Gamestops and their Japanese-equivalents to be optimal way to showcase a game.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #231 on: July 28, 2010, 05:25:05 PM
Because that's what the numbers have shown. The more "Shounen"/kid-friendly a property is, the more likely the company will actually invest in putting out a demo. Otherwise, the likes of Capcom and Namco stand to save money by just relying on "in store kiosks" in Gamestops and their Japanese-equivalents to be optimal way to showcase a game.
Is this Japan-centered? Because most PC games have demos nowadays. If not demos, betas, to showcase the engine before people play it on the actual game. Console games have quite alot of demos out too. I count alot of racing games, sports games, RTS... even a few simulators. What's wrong with putting out a fighting game demo? For example, all XBLA games are obligated to have a trial game available for download, with just a tiny bit of the game to show off before buying. It's a way to show people how the game is. It's not just for kids, most adults would like to try out a game before buying.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: July 28, 2010, 05:57:09 PM
Is this Japan-centered? Because most PC games have demos nowadays. If not demos, betas, to showcase the engine before people play it on the actual game. Console games have quite alot of demos out too. I count alot of racing games, sports games, RTS... even a few simulators. What's wrong with putting out a fighting game demo? For example, all XBLA games are obligated to have a trial game available for download, with just a tiny bit of the game to show off before buying. It's a way to show people how the game is. It's not just for kids, most adults would like to try out a game before buying.

It's not really a Japan-centered thing at all. It's more of a thing that the Fighting Game market is, again, quite a ways different from everything else. Capcom and Namco, the two "leaders" in the genre, know this much to be true. Furthermore, I believe the individual fall-outs that resulted from both HDR and MvC2's demos have only done more to showcase why there is such a reluctance to do such a thing. 

I mean, Capcom just put out a demo for Sengoku BASARA 3 on PSN a day or so ago. And that applies only in Japan, where it stands to benefit those fangirls and kids who want to try out the game before they buy the full game tomorrow/today. But unless I stand to be surprised, MvC3, for example, won't get such a demo. Thus far, they've been doing the exact same thing with the game as they did with SF4 years prior, where the game's progressive builds were passed along at live demonstrations/loke tests instead of thrown up on PSN/Live.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #233 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:05 PM
It's not really a Japan-centered thing at all. It's more of a thing that the Fighting Game market is, again, quite a ways different from everything else. Capcom and Namco, the two "leaders" in the genre, know this much to be true. Furthermore, I believe the individual fall-outs that resulted from both HDR and MvC2's demos have only done more to showcase why there is such a reluctance to do such a thing. 

I mean, Capcom just put out a demo for Sengoku BASARA 3 on PSN a day or so ago. And that applies only in Japan, where it stands to benefit those fangirls and kids who want to try out the game before they buy the full game tomorrow/today. But unless I stand to be surprised, MvC3, for example, won't get such a demo. Thus far, they've been doing the exact same thing with the game as they did with SF4 years prior, where the game's progressive builds were passed along at live demonstrations/loke tests instead of thrown up on PSN/Live.
It's the exact same kind of closed group crowd when talking about simulators and certain games, and they still have demos. Pretty much any game can have a demo, or simply a gameplay demonstration for the player to know if he or she feels comfortable in it.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #234 on: July 29, 2010, 12:37:02 AM
It's the exact same kind of closed group crowd when talking about simulators and certain games, and they still have demos. Pretty much any game can have a demo, or simply a gameplay demonstration for the player to know if he or she feels comfortable in it.

Again, fighting games have done this sort of thing differently. Always have and likely always will.

Even Mortal Kombat, the most "American" of the fighting game lot, has not had a demo of this sort.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #235 on: July 29, 2010, 01:13:02 AM
Again, fighting games have done this sort of thing differently. Always have and likely always will.

Even Mortal Kombat, the most "American" of the fighting game lot, has not had a demo of this sort.
Never say never. =P Seriously, we don't even know if fighting games will last a whole lot longer if they keep thriving in a closed-off environment.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: July 29, 2010, 01:48:55 AM
Never say never. =P Seriously, we don't even know if fighting games will last a whole lot longer if they keep thriving in a closed-off environment.

If fighting games didn't die off through its supposed "decline" (which in itself is a half-truth, because fighting games still thrived in Asia even when most in the West  thought the scene was "dead"), then I don't believe the genre is any real danger. Not when the likes of Tekken and Gundam Vs. still make Namco and Capcom millions in arcade sales in Asia alone. 

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: July 29, 2010, 02:59:27 AM
If fighting games didn't die off through its supposed "decline" (which in itself is a half-truth, because fighting games still thrived in Asia even when most in the West  thought the scene was "dead"), then I don't believe the genre is any real danger. Not when the likes of Tekken and Gundam Vs. still make Namco and Capcom millions in arcade sales in Asia alone. 
I'm not saying it's in any current danger, but you never know what the future will bring, and unevolving entertainment can only sustain itself for so long.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #238 on: July 29, 2010, 04:35:17 AM
I'm not saying it's in any current danger, but you never know what the future will bring, and unevolving entertainment can only sustain itself for so long.

That much remains to be seen. Logical progression is one thing, and I believe the genre is doing well enough in that respect. Really, the main issue that fighting game developers could stand to really work on, is decent (possibly universal) netcode standard for the sake of console users, especially in the West. That single aspect is the most pressing issue that fans cry about, more than anything else.

Otherwise, again, there's no real need or want for significant, "game-changing" evolution, when the main base that the likes of Namco and Capcom butter their bread is more or less happy with things.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #239 on: July 29, 2010, 04:48:26 AM
That much remains to be seen. Logical progression is one thing, and I believe the genre is doing well enough in that respect. Really, the main issue that fighting game developers could stand to really work on, is decent (possibly universal) netcode standard for the sake of console users, especially in the West. That single aspect is the most pressing issue that fans cry about, more than anything else.

Otherwise, again, there's no real need or want for significant, "game-changing" evolution, when the main base that the likes of Namco and Capcom butter their bread is more or less happy with things.
All it takes is a tiny executive decision in one of the companies, to set the big structure going. The game industry is volatile with new ideas right now. Any tiny bit of crazy will set fire to any volatile conservative standard. This one's in danger of getting burnt up anytime. And considering the potencial for evolution, I can see this idea pass by anyone.