Zero Fanart Contest Begins at Capcom Unity

Rock Miyabi · 22111

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 11:30:03 PM
Does anybody know that if Zero himself HAS to be in the submission?
No rules saying he does. It just has to deal with something in the game that's the focus of that particular week. So again, like my first example, you can't draw Zero 4 characters until it's Zero 4 week.

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 11:32:13 PM
Does anybody know that if Zero himself HAS to be in the submission?
As far as I'm aware, it just has to be something to do with the current week's game.
So, no I don't think Zero has to be part of the art, just something that happened in the game.
Though, there probably aren't a lot of scenes that don't involve Zero.

Offline Ryo

• I shouldn't be a
  • Robot Master
  • Coming to your local theater
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 17, 2010, 11:39:45 PM
That's good, because I have an idea that I really wanted to try out. However, I might need some help with it. Would anybody mind helping me think it out?

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #28 on: May 17, 2010, 11:47:00 PM
I'd help but I doubt I'd actually be of any help.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 03:08:25 AM
The result for Zero 1 contest is out.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/gallery/view_gallery.one?pid=109139643

One word.

DAYUMNN!

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Rock Miyabi

• THE ORIGINAL Jammin' Ninja
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Miyabi on dA
Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:37 AM
Thanks for getting to that before I could, borock. Congrats to Audrey/Audio Erf for winning! There were plenty of other super cool entries.

Week 2 is also now a go, with the focus on Zero 2. Although jgonzo has posted that since some people might not be as familiar with certain titles in the series, as long as it's Zero-related, it's eligible to be submitted. Personally, I think that sorta takes the fun and skill out of it a bit, but hopefully it will lead to more entries. So if you were hesitant to submit something for a given week, I guess you have the OK to submit it during any of the remaining three weeks of competition.

Deadline hasn't changed, it's still on Monday at 9 AM PST. And of course that date has been updated in my first post.

Previously was K.G. Inafunbags, Captain Heady, Damon Gant, and the guy who liked the blue bomber solely for the reason that he was blue.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 06:23:45 AM
I don't think I'm gonna get to enter any of the following weeks.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 10:16:02 AM
Im too lazy. And not too thrilled bout Collection anyway. :P

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: May 20, 2010, 08:35:19 PM
The result for Zero 1 contest is out.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/gallery/view_gallery.one?pid=109139643

One word.

DAYUMNN!
I can't beleive this one got most votes. RNN's entry was the best, and should have been winner.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:10 PM
Got a link?

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #35 on: May 20, 2010, 08:42:04 PM
Got a link?

I was wondering that myself.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 08:42:41 PM

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 09:38:00 PM
Damn, that's some impressive fanart.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 02:00:38 AM
Mmm. Yeah. it should have been reversed, that 1st and 2nd place.

The second one has a MUCH more interesting arrangement of elements, is well drawn, has more detail, and just uses such CRISP colors and lines. Its a much better composition, while the 1st place one is nice, but actually very generic and rather bland. Ill bet it got the otes because it was OMG GRITTY AND BLENDED COLORS. Its arrangement is much more generic and not as intriguing.

Not to mention, IG's entry has more dynamic, and makes your eyes move all around the page smoothly, whereas the other doesnt.

So ill agree with Asena. :P

Posted on: May 20, 2010, 06:56:54 PM
Oh, and since I dont see it here- heres the link to the full results.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/05/19/mega_man_zero_collection_art_contest:_week_one_winner__entries

With all the entries.

Massimo's entry also should have gotten more mention. the style was well done, even if the sword seemed like it was in the way. colors are nice, I especially like Zero and Levys faces. BUT Fefnir's head looks odd.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 03:13:48 AM
What I liked about IG's entry that it has much more effort than the others. My opinion on the Western Zero peice was pretty amusing too, as it was actually drawn on something other than paper nor digital editing software.

Offline Cpie

• Master Artist as well
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 09:53:22 AM

Posted on: May 20, 2010, 06:56:54 PM
Oh, and since I dont see it here- heres the link to the full results.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/jgonzo/blog/2010/05/19/mega_man_zero_collection_art_contest:_week_one_winner__entries

With all the entries.

Massimo's entry also should have gotten more mention. the style was well done, even if the sword seemed like it was in the way. colors are nice, I especially like Zero and Levys faces. BUT Fefnir's head looks odd.

RNN wws just unlucky, because I just can't understand how the first got that many votes making it first. Some even lower on the list are better too.
Also, one of the contestants used old art hahaha

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 10:38:20 AM
yknow, forgive me for asking, but which one is "RNN" I dont see that name.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 10:51:27 AM
yknow, forgive me for asking, but which one is "RNN" I dont see that name.
V
Yes
V
Mmm. Yeah. it should have been reversed, that 1st and 2nd place.

The second one has a MUCH more interesting arrangement of elements, is well drawn, has more detail, and just uses such CRISP colors and lines. Its a much better composition, while the 1st place one is nice, but actually very generic and rather bland. Ill bet it got the otes because it was OMG GRITTY AND BLENDED COLORS. Its arrangement is much more generic and not as intriguing.

Not to mention, IG's entry has more dynamic, and makes your eyes move all around the page smoothly, whereas the other doesnt.

So ill agree with Asena. :P
V
See it now?

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 02:58:32 PM
oh right. Well, It was late, and im sleep deprived...

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #44 on: May 22, 2010, 02:50:07 AM
The second place had a more interesting design, but it lacks a bit on the coloring side in my opinion. Besides Zero in the foreground, the rest looks extremely plain because of the lack of contrast. I haven´t seen the rest of the drawings but the one that one looks really cool.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: May 22, 2010, 03:05:51 AM
Personally, Speaking as an artist- I felt that it was fine. it used crisp clear colors, and sharp lines. The arrangement of the picture though, is what solidifies my opinion- the arrangement is better. It makes the eye move around the picture, smoothly too, and the white surroundings emphasize the center "circle" that is the picture.

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #46 on: May 22, 2010, 08:56:43 AM
Structure-wise, that pic is just a dot in the middle of the canvas. The winning piece has a lot more interesting things, the eye goes straight to Zero and Ciel that stands out from the dark background and then follows the curve of the hair, going up to the red background and getting to see all the characters involved in the piece. It also has the addition of perspective which adds a simple effect of deepness, and the point of view makes Zero look more heroic and the whole drawing more dinamic. That in addition with the coloring gives a great atmosphere in my opinion.

Offline flowercupid

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: May 25, 2010, 11:29:23 PM
Structure-wise, that pic is just a dot in the middle of the canvas
Yes, but I'll have you know that dot in the middle of the canvas was a result of a lot of time and effort -- wasted, desperate effort though it may have been:/

Offline KoiDrake

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #48 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:05 PM
I never said it was a bad drawing, but I think the first position deserved it more in my opinion. That other drawing was really cool too, it has an interesting and unique design as I mentioned, which made it really stood out from the rest. But well, the first one surely spent the same effort and time to make it, and only one can win, this happens in contests all the time.

And I really don´t like when everyone says that they wasted their time because they didn´t won. You can be sad or anything you want, but no one is forcing you to draw, you should be doing it for fun.

If you´re the author, then I would encourage you to keep participating if you´re motivated enough, since you seem to have the skills to be a great challenger.

Offline flowercupid

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: May 26, 2010, 12:25:15 AM
And I really don´t like when everyone says that they wasted their time because they didn´t won.

Except that I honestly couldn't care less about winning or losing. It was a wasted effort because it's a sub-par picture. And actually, the winner conceded she did her entry very quickly. Oh God, that didn't make me sound like a [tornado fang]ing wanker or anything.