Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 258535

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I'll not be swayed from my MEGAFIED 3DS, but I suppose the XL will hold some mass market appeal for people who are used to lugging around tablets as part of their daily lives and generally despise small screens.  Me, I still prefer a gadget that will fit in my cargo shorts.

You've got to admit extra battery life is appealing though. Personally, I love the current 3DS's look, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for no more emo self-cutting screens -.-

Besides, when you have a younger brother having a spare handheld is a nice thing to have around.

I think Nintendo was more or less directing their E3 conferences at their investors.  It was Wii-U launch window and NOTHING that would detract from that, because the Wii-U's launch is the single biggest question mark right now from a financial standpoint.

True, but if I may go a little off-topic, it was still weird. They want to impress investors and the casual market, and yet they refuse to show some of THE most important titles for them, which we know are coming to the console, namely COD and the EA sports games? Makes no sense at all :/

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
So, i'm watching the Nintendo Direct finally.

We'll be getting more VC games starting in July? About [tornado fang]ing time, its taking them way too long to get Wario Land out.
Will Smash 4 get any Namdai characters with that cooperation?
Guess they're doing with Kirby what they did with SMAS, I'll be picking it up even if it is just a VC collection.
NSMB2, god [tornado fang]ing damnit why so many bah-bah's. I'm going to mute the [parasitic bomb] out of that. Like the idea of Coin Rush DLC that isn't on the cart.
Pokedex 3D Pro should've been what Pokedex 3D was, it better be free.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
It‘s $10 IIRC.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
It‘s $10 IIRC.

Wow, are you [tornado fang]ing kidding me?

They are now trying to cash in on this whole digital craze, and Pokemon in one fell swoop.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Did they happen to mention why they didn't include a second analog in the XL design?
Is it that they don't see a future in it?
They just really want to screw over Capcom, who worked hard on it and probably planned to be able to use it for their future games?
Wanted to do it as a lesson to all other companies who try to make their own accessories?
Had this iteration of the 3DS planned so early that they didn't have time to include it?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Did they happen to mention why they didn't include a second analog in the XL design?
Is it that they don't see a future in it?
They just really want to screw over Capcom, who worked hard on it and probably planned to be able to use it for their future games?
Considering how strong Reggie's emphasis was on their DLC not being on-cart and not being developed until after the main game is considered "complete" internally, I do have to wonder on that one...

But I think the more likely reason is that the Circle Pad Pro isn't just an extra pad; it's also extra shoulder buttons.  Unless you go the original Wii Classic Controller route, which I think everyone agrees is uncomfortable and largely useless, it is extremely difficult to have more than two shoulder buttons on a handheld without screwing with its profile.  To have a second pad with only two shoulder buttons will further fragment the possible control setups and probably leave a 3rd party dev or two banging their head against the wall.  It's also possibly not the best image for Nintendo to include extra traditional inputs as the "default" of their new model when they know the majority of the 3DS's library will ignore them.

And call me a blind Miyamoto worshipper if you must, but I think the man is onto something when he says that the gyroscope when used properly does a fine job in most situations.  It certainly made aiming a lot easier in Zelda.

As with the DSiXL, the 3DSXL is meant as an alternative rather than a replacement.  It has no additional features such as the DSi introducing a shop, or even the Lite's brightness adjustment.  It's just, literally, bigger.  Bigger battery and bigger SD card included, but still, just bigger.

Frankly I wasn't impressed with the DSiXL's screens; I thought they were too large and fuzzy for such a small resolution.  3DS being a bit higher res, maybe it would work better, but I'd need to see one in a store demo before I ever considered buying one under any circumstances (I do have to admit, even if I myself don't care much for ballooning my 3DS, a Christmas gift that could net me a NSMB2 co-op partner, that has some merit to it).

NSMB2, god [tornado fang]ing damnit why so many bah-bah's. I'm going to mute the [parasitic bomb] out of that. Like the idea of Coin Rush DLC that isn't on the cart.
One of these days I seriously need to send you my Riivolution music hack for NSMBWii.  'course, I still need to do the fast versions so that your soul isn't crushed by the high-speed bah-bah's when the timer is low.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:31:42 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Considering how strong Reggie's emphasis was on their DLC not being on-cart and not being developed until after the main game is considered "complete" internally, I do have to wonder on that one...

But I think the more likely reason is that the Circle Pad Pro isn't just an extra pad; it's also extra shoulder buttons.  Unless you go the original Wii Classic Controller route, which I think everyone agrees is uncomfortable and largely useless, it is extremely difficult to have more than two shoulder buttons on a handheld without screwing with its profile.  To have a second pad with only two shoulder buttons will further fragment the possible control setups and probably leave a 3rd party dev or two banging their head against the wall.  It's also possibly not the best image for Nintendo to include extra traditional inputs as the "default" of their new model that they know the majority of the 3DS's library will ignore them.

And call me a blind Miyamoto worshipper if you must, but I think the man is onto something when he says that the gyroscope when used properly does a fine job in most situations.  It certainly made aiming a lot easier in Zelda.

As with the DSiXL, the 3DSXL is meant as an alternative rather than a replacement.  It has no additional features such as the DSi introducing a shop, or even the Lite's brightness adjustment.  It's just, literally, bigger.  Bigger battery and bigger SD card included, but still, just bigger.

Frankly I wasn't impressed with the DSiXL's screens; I thought they were too large and fuzzy for such a small resolution.  3DS being a bit higher res, maybe it would work better, but I'd need to see one in a store demo before I ever considered buying one under any circumstances (I do have to admit, even if I myself don't care much for ballooning my 3DS, a Christmas gift that could net me a NSMB2 co-op partner, that has some merit to it).
One of these days I seriously need to send you my Riivolution music hack for NSMBWii.  'course, I still need to do the fast versions so that your soul isn't crushed by the high-speed bah-bah's when the timer is low.
That is true. having separate hardware would split things very badly.

I did notice some changes.
The Start/Select buttons are actual buttons instead of whatever it is they used in the original. They look much easier to push.
The Power button has a lower profile.
All LEDs are visible from the side and front.
The 3D Slider might be longer.
Moved the earphone jack.
Mic is now labelled.
The pictogram on the 3D slider is now more accurate.

It's clear that while they didn't want to branch the 3DS control schemes, they did put some decent effort into rectifying some problems.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
DK original edition? That's the version with the Pie Factory that was released in Europe with the 25th Anniversary Mario Wii Bundle, right?

Too bad this isn't an american thing, I would probably buy Demon Training (Is it some twisted version of Brain Age or something?) just because I want NSMB2 as the Retail copy.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Borrowing this thread for a bit.

Hey everyone (and Hypershell and OBJECTION MAN and Satoryu and others), look what I can do now~

No it's not a webcam image. XD

I can do live streams and video recordings too~ :cookie:

Thank you, loopy, for your hard work! <3

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Now that's just awesome. Is something like streaming RPM online MK7 races or Kid Icarus team battles a possibility in the future? :D

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
It would be from my point of view most of the time, but sure. When I have time. O:

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios

Hey everyone (and Hypershell and OBJECTION MAN and Satoryu and others), look what I can do now~

Ah so you picked up that 3DS capture card. Nice~

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile

That's awesome, Vixy! Show us how you rock the 3DS! XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Jealous. I don't know if I can still get one right now. :(

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
There should be a new batch from loopy personally in a future time, also the first page of the SDA thread has a forum link to 3DS capture, and somewhere in the last pages is a link to a store that sells and installs a board for you.

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
What what what?!!  H-how?!!  O_O  Oh my god, I want one!  That would be so flippin' awesome!  I'm... not entirely sure what I'd want it for right at this moment, though.  Maybe recording Nintendo DS boss runs or something (since even my good computer can't run the emulators at a decent speed)...  But dayum.  T_T

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
What what what?!!  H-how?!!  O_O  Oh my god, I want one!  That would be so flippin' awesome!  I'm... not entirely sure what I'd want it for right at this moment, though.  Maybe recording Nintendo DS boss runs or something (since even my good computer can't run the emulators at a decent speed)...  But dayum.  T_T
It's a capture card run through USB attached to the bottom of the 3DS. It's tricky to install, from what I saw.

So I'm glad there's folks who'll install it fer ya. :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
More testing. With a Famicom game.

Download the images, view them at 200% (or higher) with MS Paint or other non-filtering image software and you will see some "shocking" pixelations. XD

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
It's a capture card run through USB attached to the bottom of the 3DS. It's tricky to install, from what I saw.

So I'm glad there's folks who'll install it fer ya. :D
... oh.  Mm...  Don't think I'll be doing that, if that's the case.  I might, might, do custom firmware if people can make it decent enough, but I draw the line at hardware modification.  x:

This is still neat as hell, though.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
More testing. With a Famicom game.

Download the images, view them at 200% (or higher) with MS Paint or other non-filtering image software and you will see some "shocking" pixelations. XD

It does minor anti-aliasing?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Hm maybe, maybe not. It doesn't look right tho, that's for sure.
NES/FC games should be 256x240 (or 256x224 for NTSC).

I also tried holding start+select before loading a game, like you could do with DS games, but it didn't seem to work. ^^;

Posted on: September 25, 2012, 05:59:22
Game Boy Color

Game Boy Monochrome (Classic)

Game Boy Advance

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Are Game Boy Advance games not officially supported?  Because those colors look rather washed-out.  Then again, so did the Famicom game graphics... but those at least had the "Virtual Console" message on the bottom.  o_o

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Are Game Boy Advance games not officially supported?  Because those colors look rather washed-out.  Then again, so did the Famicom game graphics... but those at least had the "Virtual Console" message on the bottom.  o_o

Its just Nintendo's rushed GBA emulator for the Ambassadors.
It doesn't have the features of the other VC games.