Official Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread - Specs, Tech, Price? It's all here!

Emiri Landeel · 260750

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Borrowing this thread for a bit.

Hey everyone (and Hypershell and OBJECTION MAN and Satoryu and others), look what I can do now~

No it's not a webcam image. XD

I can do live streams and video recordings too~ :cookie:

Thank you, loopy, for your hard work! <3

Can it capture 800x240?

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Borrowing this thread for a bit.

Hey everyone (and Hypershell and OBJECTION MAN and Satoryu and others), look what I can do now~

No it's not a webcam image. XD

I can do live streams and video recordings too~ :cookie:

Thank you, loopy, for your hard work! <3
Ho.  Ly.  [tornado fang].

Sweet news, Vix!  We'll have to make it a point to connect online sometime ('specially since I FINALLY got my gold glider in MK7).

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Can it capture 800x240?

When the software is updated, it could. O:

Sweet news, Vix!  We'll have to make it a point to connect online sometime

If I'm not busy and I can set a time for it, sure~

Video time! :3

Biohazard (RE): Deadly Silence
Cave Story 3D

I'll show some 60fps recordings later on. ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline N-Mario

• Video Game Veteran
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Video Game Veteran
    • View Profile
    • N-Mario's Gaming Universe
God darn it Vix. I need one of those 3DS capture cards. They must be very expensive. :-/

Are they very rare? I also read that there are very few like these. Like how Nintendo streams them with their own boards/cords/USBs of streaming.

In any case I wouldn't mind watching you stream this. Though I can't remember if I followed you or not. If I have, I haven't gotten any recent notifications of you streaming.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
When the software is updated, it could. O:

If I'm not busy and I can set a time for it, sure~

Video time! :3

Biohazard (RE): Deadly Silence
Cave Story 3D

I'll show some 60fps recordings later on. ^^

Looks like a really nice device. My only complaint is that it seems to use Micro USB and has no reinforcement for the USB cable itself. As if the weight of the cable will be on the port. Also, are you recording to Uncompressed AVI and then converting to MP4? Or are you recording directly to MP4?

http://www.amvhell.com/stuff/zarx264gui/
http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

This includes the two I linked to but it's best to get the latest versions of those. The older version of the package includes DVDDecryptor, but that is of no concern for this.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech31/amvapp.html

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Uncompressed first. The software has limited codec selection but you can choose XVid and TechSmith lossless codec as well. I didn't have other tools ready while I was recording this at my job. I already have those tools here at home. ^^b

I prefer to keep all my images and videos at 1:1 ratio in the original resolution (400x480) as much as possible. But in the end, the results still looks good.

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Well now, that's quite a thing. How much did that run you?

(You know you need to do some footage of the ninja chick brawler now.)

Ya know, I was just thinking, if it would be possible to stream that video out, to say your TV or PC (then rerouted to your TV :D). Get some full screen action going. Especially good since it can play DS games too.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
This was the "Ninja Chick Brawler" image teased for the moment, I'll do videos/live streams later. Also I'm waiting for Project X Zone.

Ya know, I was just thinking, if it would be possible to stream that video out, to say your TV or PC (then rerouted to your TV :D). Get some full screen action going. Especially good since it can play DS games too.

Well since both screens are displayed from a PC software, you have to use separate screen capture software if you want to do live streams or play around with video-out functionality (as long as your PC/laptop has a video out port in the first place). You can double-click the 3DS screens on the PC software and they will show up in fullscreen with black background covering the rest of the PC screen. So yes, you can also use this device for "demo unit" purpose or "couch potato" gameplay in front of your TV if you want. XD

Well now, that's quite a thing. How much did that run you?

The circuit board + installation went for $200 USD. I sent in my own Japan system for installation so I had to add in some express shipment costs to the US. It all fits nicely inside a black shell under the 3DS system, almost like the Nyko battery. 8D

Posted on: September 26, 2012, 14:38:55
Are Game Boy Advance games not officially supported?  Because those colors look rather washed-out.  Then again, so did the Famicom game graphics... but those at least had the "Virtual Console" message on the bottom.  o_o
Its just Nintendo's rushed GBA emulator for the Ambassadors.
It doesn't have the features of the other VC games.

Hm now that you mention it, it does look kinda dark. ^^;

More GBA things.

Mario Kart Advance

Super Mario Advance 3

Zelda: The Minish Cap

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Uncompressed first. The software has limited codec selection but you can choose XVid and TechSmith lossless codec as well. I didn't have other tools ready while I was recording this at my job. I already have those tools here at home. ^^b

I prefer to keep all my images and videos at 1:1 ratio in the original resolution (400x480) as much as possible. But in the end, the results still looks good.

I don't think Xvid "lossless" is actually lossless, I'm pretty sure it's just "visually lossless", which means "enough people won't see or care about the loss so we'll call it lossless". I prefer using x264, but that's just because I never got into editing while divx/xvid was big.

I'd suggest using the MP4 container's built in Aspect Ratio flag, but the fact that the lines are so close together would probably screw with the encoding and nothing would look right. The best you could do would be to rotate the video and set the Interlaced flag.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
This was the "Ninja Chick Brawler" image teased for the moment, I'll do videos/live streams later. Also I'm waiting for Project X Zone.

Yeah, that's what made me ask. Also, I can never remember the name for that game. I'm not all that in tune with remembering asian based words honestly.

Well since both screens are displayed from a PC software, you have to use separate screen capture software if you want to do live streams or play around with video-out functionality (as long as your PC/laptop has a video out port in the first place). You can double-click the 3DS screens on the PC software and they will show up in fullscreen with black background covering the rest of the PC screen. So yes, you can also use this device for "demo unit" purpose or "couch potato" gameplay in front of your TV if you want. XD

MY GOD. That just flew up to the top of my DO WANT list. Considering the tech and installation knowledge involved, that's not too terribly expensive either. I believe I found my first game related purchase once I'm out of budget crunch.

Is there a way to disable the view of one of the screens on the PC output? I'd like to have the top screen exclusive on the PC, and the bottom screen left for the device itself; kind of like how the WiiU is structured.

And I suppose the most important question; is there any display lag between the system itself and the PC display? Even the slightest amount can be troublesome.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
I don't think Xvid "lossless" is actually lossless, I'm pretty sure it's just "visually lossless"

I never ever associated the word "lossless" with XVid. XD

TechSmith has their own video codec that actually does record in lossless while conserving storage space, so you don't have to choose the Uncompressed codec that's default in most codec listings. It's called "TechSmith Screen Capture Codec" and it comes bundled with Camtasia Studio (and its own sub-tools).

Is there a way to disable the view of one of the screens on the PC output? I'd like to have the top screen exclusive on the PC, and the bottom screen left for the device itself; kind of like how the WiiU is structured.

Well you can choose how both screens will attach or separate from each other. When you separate the screens, you can then choose to have the top or bottom screen displaying fully across your PC monitor if you want. I haven't found any way of "completely" disabling both screens, but if you want, you can drag one of the unwanted screens in a corner, or doubleclick on the one you want to display in fullscreen.

And I suppose the most important question; is there any display lag between the system itself and the PC display? Even the slightest amount can be troublesome.

On the system: NEVER, not in the slightest! <3

On the PC display: As long as you don't have any heavy-duty processes in the background or if you aren't recording anything, there's no lag at all. Even when I just simply had the screens on display with basic processes running in the background, it showed no frame skip or drops whatsoever. It depends on your PC build and/or what you are using currently I guess. Basically, the PC display shows the 3DS in real time, while there might be some frame skips depending on what you do on your PC currently. It's sending signals through micro-USB so that's the kind of speed rate you get sending the screens from the 3DS to a PC. o.o

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Joseph Collins

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
All things considered, this sounds like how RemoteJoyLite works for the Sony PSP.  All it did was display exactly (for the most part) what was on your PSP screen.  It's pretty lightweight itself, even when recording with FRAPS.  So lightweight, it could be run on older hardware, in fact.  It also has the added bonus of letting you control your PSP via PC game controller or keyboard, which is super nice for getting the real "full screen PSP" experience.

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
I never ever associated the word "lossless" with XVid. XD

TechSmith has their own video codec that actually does record in lossless while conserving storage space, so you don't have to choose the Uncompressed codec that's default in most codec listings. It's called "TechSmith Screen Capture Codec" and it comes bundled with Camtasia Studio (and its own sub-tools).

Ah, I know there is a "lossless" setting for one of the "mp4" encoders. I can't read goodly. I prefer MSU Screen Capture or UTVideo for my lossless, but I'll try out the Techsmith thing.

All things considered, this sounds like how RemoteJoyLite works for the Sony PSP.  All it did was display exactly (for the most part) what was on your PSP screen.  It's pretty lightweight itself, even when recording with FRAPS.  So lightweight, it could be run on older hardware, in fact.  It also has the added bonus of letting you control your PSP via PC game controller or keyboard, which is super nice for getting the real "full screen PSP" experience.

Yeah, Except this seems to have it's own dedicated video processor, while RJL uses software and that causes it to skip frames a bunch because it's using "Megahurtz" from the PSP to achieve its goal. If someone made something like this for PSP or Vita I would be interested, because having a dedicated hardware handling the video processing is nice.

On a similar note, I wonder if you can use this device to control the 3DS with a controller or keyboard/mouse. But I imagine not since this is just soldered to the Video out and has no access to the 3DS's "input" functions that RJL has because it works via software. Playing PSP games with a Dual Shock 2/3 is really comfortable.

I know the PS Eye does 640x480@75Hz(Or 320x240@125Hz) and it pretty much fully saturates the USB 2.0 bus. I wonder if when the 800x240 support is added someone could write a version of the program to be compatible with 3D monitors or TVs.

200 Is a bit much for me right now, but This seems like something really nice.

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
Ah, I know there is a "lossless" setting for one of the "mp4" encoders. I can't read goodly. I prefer MSU Screen Capture or UTVideo for my lossless, but I'll try out the Techsmith thing.

When you installed the TSSCC codec, drag the thing all the way to the left.

Then do a recording or whatever, preferably from a emulator source like SNES9x or whatever, then open with VirtualDubMod and output a PNG image from any frame. You will see godly pixel perfect no-color-loss results. :3

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
When you installed the TSSCC codec, drag the thing all the way to the left.

Then do a recording or whatever, preferably from a emulator source like SNES9x or whatever, then open with VirtualDubMod and output a PNG image from any frame. You will see godly pixel perfect no-color-loss results. :3

http://compression.ru/video/quality_measure/video_measurement_tool_en.html

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
you can drag one of the unwanted screens in a corner, or doubleclick on the one you want to display in fullscreen.

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted. Very awesome! A total sale for me, once I'm out of budget crunch.

What happens when you put the console into 3D mode? Do you get a double display, or mixed (line by line) display? Some 3D TV's could possibly pick up on that if you had the right setup and it was sending the right format. If you wan't an example, check out Sonic Generations' 3D mode with a non-3D TV. If it could do something like that, then you could totally get a 3D TV going with it. How epic would that be?!

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
What happens when you put the console into 3D mode?

With the current version of the software, dragging the 3D slider up will show only one of the stereoscopic images on the PC software display. But loopy said there will be updates for it so there can be some proper stereoscopic display later. The webpage mentions most of the details and also has a support forum.

If I'm not mistaken, he worked on the Jumbotron DS as well. He's ancient and well-known in the mod scene. XD
http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/
http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DSCapture/

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Well, well. It just keeps getting better and better. It even increases the console size, which my hands will appreciate.

Speaking of that though, it says no XL compatibility. I hope that changes. Perhaps by the time I will get it, they will have such compatibility. My hands really hate the current 3DS size and shape, so I fully intend to get an XL eventually.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
(You know you need to do some footage of the ninja chick brawler now.)
[youtube]rCzAxCz2kj0[/youtube]

This?

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
SNES version is pretty cool~

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obw1AXasn88[/youtube]

Kunoichi~ <3

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
That looks awesome. I'll have to try that out. Lol, green blood though.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Ladd Spencer

• Neo Arcadian
  • Blow up! We want to blow up this area.
    • View Profile
SNES version is pretty cool~
Yea, I started watching videos of it after searching up the one I posted. My maximum exposure had been on an emulator. My friend said I have a knack for picking games off of shelves just as much as alphabetical lists. Gotta find it for SNES whenever I can.

[youtube]WSJ2L35CSog[/youtube]

I know arcade versions are always the best, but hot damn.

FEELS  ;^;Which has the massive scrotums?

Offline VixyNyan

• RPM Ecchi Princess
    • View Profile
More NES screen pixel filter stretchiness, cover your eyes! XD

(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
More NES screen pixel filter stretchiness, cover your eyes! XD

Ick, its not like the screen resolution of the NES is bigger than the 3DS resolution, right?