The Last Story (Wii) - Mistwalker x Nintendo RPG

Jericho · 25619

Aresian

Reply #50 on: August 10, 2010, 08:24:10 PM
I'm seemingly reminded time and time again why I picked the Wii over those two would-be behemoths. That said, this is shaping up to be one hell of a game. While it is incredibly innovative, at least visually (in all a good way), it still keeps the feel, look and sound of a JRPG. This is good, very good. While I will always love and prefer good ol' fashion Turn-Based RPGs, it isn't bad when something like this comes up.

This looks and sounds like a genuinely wonderful RPG. It gives me a bit of hope that the genre isn't going to be swallowed up whole by all the BS out there today and the "arms race" for "new ideas" when frankly, new blood pantheons don't have to erase anything or completely make everything blotted out.

There is still room for classics, defossilization and thankfully, Nintendo and several of their tailwinds, hasn't forgotten that.

Offline The Blind Archer

• Self-proclaimed jack-of-all-trades of art in training
  • Robot Master
  • I use localised names
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem New Dawn

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: August 11, 2010, 12:55:15 PM
Huh.  Those character designs just scream "Noruma".

Whose that? o.o
Poor Seiren (siren?) hasn't got enough money for a complete armor set ; ;

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: August 11, 2010, 01:00:22 PM
I'm seemingly reminded time and time again why I picked the Wii over those two would-be behemoths. That said, this is shaping up to be one hell of a game. While it is incredibly innovative, at least visually (in all a good way), it still keeps the feel, look and sound of a JRPG. This is good, very good. While I will always love and prefer good ol' fashion Turn-Based RPGs, it isn't bad when something like this comes up.

This looks and sounds like a genuinely wonderful RPG. It gives me a bit of hope that the genre isn't going to be swallowed up whole by all the BS out there today and the "arms race" for "new ideas" when frankly, new blood pantheons don't have to erase anything or completely make everything blotted out.

There is still room for classics, defossilization and thankfully, Nintendo and several of their tailwinds, hasn't forgotten that.
Considering this game seems to have pretty much the gameplay of current cover-based third person shooters like Uncharted and Gears, this is an extremely ironic statement. 8D

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: August 11, 2010, 01:07:31 PM
Huh.  Those character designs just scream "Noruma".
Nomura wishes he could design like that.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: August 11, 2010, 01:09:37 PM
Oh, thats who he meant o.o

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: August 11, 2010, 01:24:29 PM
Nomura wishes he could design like that.
Yeah. Lotsa beltandzipper, but if this was Nomura's game, it'd have more leather, more colors, characters with bigger eyes and more feminine, and overall less of a cool design.

Aresian

Reply #57 on: August 11, 2010, 09:24:33 PM
Considering this game seems to have pretty much the gameplay of current cover-based third person shooters like Uncharted and Gears, this is an extremely ironic statement. 8D

Uncharted wasn't a bad game, honestly. It didn't even feel like a shooter. More like Tomb Raider for real men with chest hair than anything else.

And it still LOOKS, SOUNDS and FEELS like an RPG. The visual representation is very RPG-esque. It still looks like it'll have a dynamic story that I actually give a [parasitic bomb] about. One that doesn't involve a buncha "wanna-be" hard ass soldiers with guns...

Or space guys that want to be hardass soldiers with guns. Killing aliens this time instead Nazis or Nazi ripoffs.

That said, I don't really have an arguement here thus far. You underestimate my flexibility, Flashikins. As well as my love for innovative ideas and flipping the board a bit.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: August 11, 2010, 10:45:27 PM
Uncharted wasn't a bad game, honestly. It didn't even feel like a shooter. More like Tomb Raider for real men with chest hair than anything else.

And it still LOOKS, SOUNDS and FEELS like an RPG. The visual representation is very RPG-esque. It still looks like it'll have a dynamic story that I actually give a [parasitic bomb] about. One that doesn't involve a buncha "wanna-be" hard ass soldiers with guns...

Or space guys that want to be hardass soldiers with guns. Killing aliens this time instead Nazis or Nazi ripoffs.

That said, I don't really have an arguement here thus far. You underestimate my flexibility, Flashikins. As well as my love for innovative ideas and flipping the board a bit.
Uncharted, for all the amazing acclaim it had, and all the success, would honestly be hard to call a bad game. As well as Gears and all of the great games in the genre.

So basically, your problem is with the story and theme rather than with the gameplay.

Aresian

Reply #59 on: August 12, 2010, 04:22:18 AM
Uncharted, for all the amazing acclaim it had, and all the success, would honestly be hard to call a bad game. As well as Gears and all of the great games in the genre.

So basically, your problem is with the story and theme rather than with the gameplay.

And now you've found the missing puzzle. That is the main factor with me. 9 to 10, I just don't care for the theme, story and/or feel of various things.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: August 12, 2010, 05:34:19 AM
And now you've found the missing puzzle. That is the main factor with me. 9 to 10, I just don't care for the theme, story and/or feel of various things.
...uh... do you or do you not? So far, you said you liked classic things, I told you this game was anything but classic in gameplay. You told me that the story, theme and feel was what you were worried about. I said you were worried about that rather than the gameplay. And now you say "I just don't care for the theme, story and/or feel of various things."

...which one is it? Was that last one a typo?

Aresian

Reply #61 on: August 12, 2010, 06:29:14 AM
...uh... do you or do you not? So far, you said you liked classic things, I told you this game was anything but classic in gameplay. You told me that the story, theme and feel was what you were worried about. I said you were worried about that rather than the gameplay. And now you say "I just don't care for the theme, story and/or feel of various things."

...which one is it? Was that last one a typo?

I don't care about the story, theme and/or feel of various things NOW, is a better explanation. My apologies. What is the rule as opposed to the exception (read: What I said about Nazis and Space Nazis) is something that I'm not exactly happy with.

But that is irrelevant. Yes, you are correct, I am more often worried about the story, theme and/or feel of things these days as opposed to gameplay. Gameplay doesn't make or break a game for me; I guess that is ironic. Gameplay is more like the frosting on my much more delicious chocolate cake. The crust holding my myriad of pizza toppings.

Etc.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: August 12, 2010, 11:33:04 AM
I don't care about the story, theme and/or feel of various things NOW, is a better explanation. My apologies. What is the rule as opposed to the exception (read: What I said about Nazis and Space Nazis) is something that I'm not exactly happy with.

But that is irrelevant. Yes, you are correct, I am more often worried about the story, theme and/or feel of things these days as opposed to gameplay. Gameplay doesn't make or break a game for me; I guess that is ironic. Gameplay is more like the frosting on my much more delicious chocolate cake. The crust holding my myriad of pizza toppings.

Etc.
So you DO care about story and aseeing, but as long as it's the asian cliché as opposed to the western cliché (Typical JRPG setting with effeminate characters and medieval-like setting with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]), you don't really care about it, and gameplay is the least you care about, correct?

Offline The Blind Archer

• Self-proclaimed jack-of-all-trades of art in training
  • Robot Master
  • I use localised names
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem New Dawn

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: August 13, 2010, 01:33:49 AM
Main website now has character art and some more~

Go go!

The artstyle is kinda similar with Magna Carta imo. Is it by the same artist?

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Aresian

Reply #65 on: August 13, 2010, 01:35:37 AM
So you DO care about story and aseeing, but as long as it's the asian cliché as opposed to the western cliché (Typical JRPG setting with effeminate characters and medieval-like setting with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]), you don't really care about it, and gameplay is the least you care about, correct?

In the simplest sense, yes.

Though it should be noted I don't care for effeminate male characters all that much to be honest. In fact, I have a general disdain for the "bishie" as it were, especially the over inflation of them.

However, the longer version is necessary here.

Note you said what you said and then I counter with my TRAP CARD. You now get to listen to my lulz and lose 4000 LPs, you also lose the ability to summon level 5 monsters or hig--- ... oh right, the long version.

See... "Typical JRPG setting with effeminate characters and medieval-like setting with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]" is a cute comment because not just JRPGs do medieval-like settings with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]. INFACT, a perfect example (besides Baulder's Gate, DnD and other things I happen to like AND own) is Elder Scrolls. For the sake of modernism, I'll pick Oblivion, my personal favorite. Oblivion has... well, last I checked (approximately 55 minutes prior to this post, in fact.) is a very medieval-esque world with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]. But hey, let us get more descriptive.

I love the story of the Elder Scrolls universe. [parasitic bomb] like Daedric Lords and crazy ass lore that is both fantastic and mind boggling in it's own right. Such things are of my intrigue. So no... it isn't just the "typical JRPG setting" that I like. Yes, I DO like that, but that doesn't eliminate all other options. Elder Scrolls, Baulder's Gate, DnD and Warhammer are examples of things that intrigue me in the highest caliber.

But hey, for those of the tl;dr persuasion, we have this:

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010, 01:45:51 AM
The artstyle is kinda similar with Magna Carta imo. Is it by the same artist?

You mean Hyung Tae Kim.

And no he's not involved as far as I know.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: August 22, 2010, 11:32:27 PM
In the simplest sense, yes.

Though it should be noted I don't care for effeminate male characters all that much to be honest. In fact, I have a general disdain for the "bishie" as it were, especially the over inflation of them.

However, the longer version is necessary here.

Note you said what you said and then I counter with my TRAP CARD. You now get to listen to my lulz and lose 4000 LPs, you also lose the ability to summon level 5 monsters or hig--- ... oh right, the long version.

See... "Typical JRPG setting with effeminate characters and medieval-like setting with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]" is a cute comment because not just JRPGs do medieval-like settings with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]. INFACT, a perfect example (besides Baulder's Gate, DnD and other things I happen to like AND own) is Elder Scrolls. For the sake of modernism, I'll pick Oblivion, my personal favorite. Oblivion has... well, last I checked (approximately 55 minutes prior to this post, in fact.) is a very medieval-esque world with magic 'n [parasitic bomb]. But hey, let us get more descriptive.

I love the story of the Elder Scrolls universe. [parasitic bomb] like Daedric Lords and crazy ass lore that is both fantastic and mind boggling in it's own right. Such things are of my intrigue. So no... it isn't just the "typical JRPG setting" that I like. Yes, I DO like that, but that doesn't eliminate all other options. Elder Scrolls, Baulder's Gate, DnD and Warhammer are examples of things that intrigue me in the highest caliber.

But hey, for those of the tl;dr persuasion, we have this:

Western cliché of medieval is very different from the japanese cliché of medieval. Just because they share elements, I've actually never seen two of them with the same "theme". Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and Baldur's Gate have a kind of Lord of the Rings-kind of setting, while I've pretty much never seen any kind of japanese RPG with down-and-dirty kind of look and style, with regular-looking weapons and big, brown and green worlds with gushing blood.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: August 22, 2010, 11:42:33 PM
I've pretty much never seen any kind of japanese RPG with down-and-dirty kind of look and style, with regular-looking weapons and big, brown and green worlds with gushing blood.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 12:36:23 AM
Hahahahahaha 'gushing blood' how cute.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 12:37:58 AM

...yeah, point taken.

Hahahahahaha 'gushing blood' how cute.
Don't follow. Are you refering to gushing blood as being something that only appeals to childish adolescents instead of actually appreciating it as a design choice to fit the function and theme of a game?

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 03:38:08 AM
Nothing like that, I just ended up finding it funny(mainly because I didn't expect to read that in a description of a Medievel setting for RPGs in general).  Sorry if that was offending, I didn't mean it like that.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 08:39:27 PM
Nothing like that, I just ended up finding it funny(mainly because I didn't expect to read that in a description of a Medievel setting for RPGs in general).  Sorry if that was offending, I didn't mean it like that.
None taken. It's just that people sometimes use "blood and guts" in any kind of game to classify it as juvenile and brainless. While stellar games like Diablo and Dragon Age have TONS of gore, yet it's portrayed simply because you ARE hacking and slashing things into bits. Looks good stylishly, and it's not put there just to get the same reaction Mortal Kombat had all that time ago.

Aresian

Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:12 PM
Thanks for the assist, Acid.

Anyway, while the major differences are mostly of the visual kind, the basic idea is the same. While there are differences, it's still the same basic idea and a world that contains more interesting possibilities than say... Apocalyptic future place. Or rehash of WW2/Iraq war herp derp.

Oh and I ain't ragging on all Apocalyptics... I likes me some Fallout. After a while it just starts falling into semantics. It's perfectly reasonable to appreciate both forms and hold them in the same regard without getting our panties in a knot.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 09:23:39 PM
Thanks for the assist, Acid.

Anyway, while the major differences are mostly of the visual kind, the basic idea is the same. While there are differences, it's still the same basic idea and a world that contains more interesting possibilities than say... Apocalyptic future place. Or rehash of WW2/Iraq war herp derp.

Oh and I ain't ragging on all Apocalyptics... I likes me some Fallout. After a while it just starts falling into semantics. It's perfectly reasonable to appreciate both forms and hold them in the same regard without getting our panties in a knot.
I actually think that most ideas on the medieval setting have been wasted. While the apocalyptic future place... I mean, how many big RPGs do you know with that setting, aside from Fallout? Plus, have you played Fallout 3? It goes INSANE with possibilities, from hunting zombie rednecks, allying yourself with a brain in a jar, fighting a war with a mech that spouts patriotic catchphrases, teaming up with a troll who reads Shakespeare, fighting alien ships in space in a Star Trek-like bridge, exploring the disturbing depths of a scientist's virtual reality while he's in the body of a murderous little girl... I mean, what CAN'T be done with post-apocalyptic?

Medieval mostly follows with the usual stuff. Mages, knights, the usual races, the typical storylines... not that there aren't tons upon tons of possibilities, but it just can't expand quite alot beyond that in the usual way, without breaking reality.