• View Profile
Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 12:50:08 PM

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 04:32:14 PM
Scans look excellent. I can't wait for more. 8)

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 09:42:04 PM
Neither can I! ^_^

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 09:48:37 PM
I like the monster designs.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Link.

The game looks [tornado fang]ing amazing. : O

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 07:39:01 AM
And the ending looked so romantic!

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:02 AM
Holy crap!

I am VERY intrigued at the game's battle mechanics~ hohoho~

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 10:29:02 AM
This game looks awesome, and I would get it if I had a Wii... :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline The Blind Archer

• Self-proclaimed jack-of-all-trades of art in training
  • Robot Master
  • I use localised names
    • View Profile
    • Fire Emblem New Dawn
Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 04:10:01 PM
Link.

Hm... battle system looks fun.  Looks like it makes believable use of the in-game environment too.

And for some parts the citizens watched the player as he passed them/bumped into them.  It has me wondering if there's gonna be a morality system in this.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 04:40:18 PM
What a clumsy town x3

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 04:53:52 PM
Looks FREAKING AWESOME. The player actually has to use a cover mechanic in some spots, and the scenery in the game MATTERS.

Okay, now this looks like actual RPG evolution.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 05:51:36 PM
Looks polished but I wouldn't say awesome. I guess if you were expecting turn-based random encounters, Fight Whoosh and all...

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:38 PM
Looks polished but I wouldn't say awesome. I guess if you were expecting turn-based random encounters, Fight Whoosh and all...
Oh, silly person. RPGs where you traverse a world with a single avatar only to be bogged down by an endless myriad of random moments where the game transports you to another ground where you're unable to move, and your only imput is to choose between options on a menu that leave you open for damage everytime you finish attacking... are dead. Most RPGs have dropped that mechanic, even Final Fantasy is slowly getting rid of it and adapting other things. Dragon Quest will eventually follow it. RPGs need to evolve. Heck, yesterday, I read one of the truest blog posts I've ever read from Penny Arcade:

When Cliff Bleszinski says that shooters are the future of RPGs, he's not wrong; late, but not wrong. The original Modern Warfare is as much an RPG as any other game that toils under that yoke. Play it, and tell me it's not: you earn levels and equip items, customizing your character along three distinct trees. In the sequel, even your Goddamned perks level up. I assume I don't need to bring up Borderlands. RPG's are the present of shooters, assuming they aren't the ancient past.

I'm hesitant to guess how many hours we played Phantasy Star Online. Released when dial-up internet was still a thing that people did, you could tell immediately that you were engaged in something which was unmoored from linear time. Deep loot tables, omnipresent robo-pets, and weird crap like language-independent chat wrapped up in a singular look and accompanied by tremendous music.  It was too beautiful.  We didn't deserve it, and yet, there it was.

I can't really discern the difference between a "Multiplayer Action RPG" and a "Horde Mode," except to say that the second one is a less robust version of the first. In such an RPG, "playing against waves of AI Opponents" isn't an aberration, it's Tuesday. Also, every other day. You've played PSO, or you should have: how many times did you enter a discrete hunk of forest, only to have bipedal moles raise their claws skyward in defiance? I never got sick of it, it was always ridiculous, and their hilarious, wholly unfounded optimism never wore thin.  Today, I couldn't tell you what the pertinent stats for a Phantasy Star Online character even are; just that they would dance o'erhead from time to time, swelling with their increase, and that it was enough.

Compare that to almost any other game where "waves" of motherfuckers arrive perpetually, and there is no comparison: in one, an overarching framework conspires to lend every game event greater meaning. In the other, you are shaving away the hours until your own death.  Horde was that strange mutant that survives the rigors of its accurs'd birth, a way to recontextualize the assets already on-platter: in essense, to use the entire buffalo.  Pragmatic.  Now the Goddamned thing is everywhere, shaking the underbrush, a snuffling boar cropping up in every disc I insert.

This mode of play is crying out for definition.  Discipline, even.  I'm tired of waiting for the stupid future; I want to know what's next.

It's only natural to incorporate action games with the best RPG skill and experience mechanics. And such should happen the other way around as well. It's time for imput to be recognized. Amazingly detailed characters in realistic 3D graphics look silly when they're just being hit without attacking. Time to enter RPGs into current technology. And such a thing, is AWESOME.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 07:33:12 PM
Oh, silly person. RPGs where you traverse a world with a single avatar only to be bogged down by an endless myriad of random moments where the game transports you to another ground where you're unable to move, and your only imput is to choose between options on a menu that leave you open for damage everytime you finish attacking... are dead

Makes me sad actually. I still like turn based menu combat in parallel dimensions.

Dragon Quest will eventually follow it.

hahaha nope. Not DQ. DQ will be the last one to change. It will change when everyone is going back to menus again.

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 07:34:41 PM
RPGs where you traverse a world with a single avatar only to be bogged down by an endless myriad of random moments where the game transports you to another ground where you're unable to move, and your only imput is to choose between options on a menu that leave you open for damage everytime you finish attacking... are dead.

A lot of things are becoming "dead" lately o.o

Classic RPGs
the Internet

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 07:36:04 PM
A lot of things are becoming "dead" lately o.o

Classic RPGs
the Internet

And the really pessimistic guys go

"GAMING IS DEAD, BOOHOOHOO"

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 07:51:53 PM
And the really pessimistic guys go

"GAMING IS DEAD, BOOHOOHOO"
You know what? I am LOVING IT. It's absolute paradise. Every single damn weeaboo is going crazy for the way japanese gaming is finally evolving, changing its ways, making the gameplay better and more accessible for everyone, due to the current technology. I've loved the last few years and how gaming keeps thinking up more and more crazy [parasitic bomb]. And I hope it never ends.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 07:55:48 PM
Oh, silly person. RPGs where you traverse a world with a single avatar only to be bogged down by an endless myriad of random moments where the game transports you to another ground where you're unable to move, and your only imput is to choose between options on a menu that leave you open for damage everytime you finish attacking... are dead. Most RPGs have dropped that mechanic, even Final Fantasy is slowly getting rid of it and adapting other things. Dragon Quest will eventually follow it. RPGs need to evolve. Heck, yesterday, I read one of the truest blog posts I've ever read from Penny Arcade:

It's only natural to incorporate action games with the best RPG skill and experience mechanics. And such should happen the other way around as well. It's time for imput to be recognized. Amazingly detailed characters in realistic 3D graphics look silly when they're just being hit without attacking. Time to enter RPGs into current technology. And such a thing, is AWESOME.

As much as I understand you completely, I can't agree. In my opinion, turn based games have as much of a place in gaming as experimental RPGs with more focus on the actual action. I see it as two different styles that both bring something fun and new to the table when done well. Things like this though are subjective though, so I respect your opinion on the matter of strictly turn & menu based RPGs.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 08:23:14 PM
As much as I understand you completely, I can't agree. In my opinion, turn based games have as much of a place in gaming as experimental RPGs with more focus on the actual action. I see it as two different styles that both bring something fun and new to the table when done well. Things like this though are subjective though, so I respect your opinion on the matter of strictly turn & menu based RPGs.
Of course they have a place in gaming. I've got nothing against one or two series keeping the style. Persona for example, is still a very valid example of the use of such a gameplay mechanic, and it uses it very well, given that the battles and movements happen quite fast, without need for useless extra pretty animations. Nostalgia also used it quite well, seeing as it's trying to emulate a classic RPG with an adventurous story. I'm just saying it shouldn't be used for new kinds of RPGs, because the genre needs to evolve. As long as gaming can evolve on all genres, I'll be happy. And as long as hardcore old-school gamers continue to cry over the loss of gameplay in their franchises while I laugh and jump around mocking them, I will be very, very pleased. =D

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 08:42:41 PM
RPGs where you traverse a world with a single avatar only to be bogged down by an endless myriad of random moments where the game transports you to another ground where you're unable to move, and your only imput is to choose between options on a menu that leave you open for damage everytime you finish attacking... are dead.
Hence me being mystified by all this hype. It looks like a polished third-person actionRPG, but there's a lot of those.

I see nothing new here.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: July 08, 2010, 09:00:57 PM
Hence me being mystified by all this hype. It looks like a polished third-person actionRPG, but there's a lot of those.

I see nothing new here.
Alot of those? Name one that uses scenery for cover, that features third-person shooting mechanics, and in which NPCs matter to combat. Oh, and with no transitions.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:23 PM
Zillions of games with any one of those alone. Combining them being unusual is the only thing preventing me from saying "same old".

EDIT: I think Mass Effect might be a contender?

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: July 08, 2010, 09:29:42 PM
Zillions of games with any one of those alone. Combining them being unusual is the only thing preventing me from saying "same old".

EDIT: I think Mass Effect might be a contender?
JRPGs and WRPGs are different things. I'm talking about japanese RPGs, which are normally stuck in a rut. This is very innovative. Specially one like this, where you can surprise enemies on the battlefield.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: July 08, 2010, 09:55:22 PM
Well, more power to them, then. Hopefully it'll get them up to speed.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: August 10, 2010, 10:23:47 AM
Main website now has character art and some more~

Go go!