HEALP! I NEED SOME TIPS ON SPRITING!

Rin · 8983

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 03:40:05 AM
Thanks alot, I never expected to find any of these again.
It's Ashe, she's asking to be saved. XD

I'm just hanging around out of boredom.

I lost interest in actually staying on any of the forums I was registered on months ago, and now I just lurk when I want to read something interesting. The only websites I ever really log into are MAL since it's useful, and my occasional posts on /v/ and /toy/. (Though under a different name...)
And... O^O

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:32 PM
Still one of the best Ashe I've ever seen.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: July 24, 2010, 08:33:39 PM
NECROPOSTING BECAUSE THIS IS MY THREAD AND I CAN!

Anyway. Today I got pissed, and said to myself "I WILL LEARN TO [tornado fang]ing SPRITE! THIS TIME FOR REALZ!"
So, I wanted to ask for something.
Does anybody have some tricks, tips or tutorials on how to create sprites in style of Megaman X4-X6? I don't care if it's about editing an existing sprite or scratch. Just shoot something at me, because I'm bored lately and I'm gathering as much different tutorials and guides to keep me busy (along with those posted in this thread here already).

Thanks.

I WILL LEARN TO [tornado fang]ing SPRITE!

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 24, 2010, 08:51:44 PM
Then [tornado fang]ing try something easy for starters! X4-X6 is friggin hard!

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 24, 2010, 09:03:36 PM
Then [tornado fang]ing try something easy for starters! X4-X6 is friggin hard!
Silly Blackhook.
I never said I'm going to immediately go and try make X4-x6 sprites.
I merely said I want to obtain a tutorial for later time. I did mention that I'm collecting many different tutorials to keep me busy, no?
: >

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 09:14:43 PM
I was just warning ya :D

Offline DarkWaltz

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Magic bananas!
    • View Profile
    • DarkWaltz's DeviantArt Page
Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 07:59:18 PM
Okay, I've been throwing the idea around about attempting sprites. I'm looking at the tutorials Zan has posted and everyone else's advice. Now I like to know, how many shades should you use to depict the shadows and highlights?

Offline Gary Loaki

• Robot Master
  • Formerly Loki~
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 08:33:23 PM
Okay, I've been throwing the idea around about attempting sprites. I'm looking at the tutorials Zan has posted and everyone else's advice. Now I like to know, how many shades should you use to depict the shadows and highlights?

It depends on the style of spriting, of course. Each style has it's own color limit and shade limit. For example, generally in RockMan ZX style, you'd have a max of 4~5 shades for one color.

If you're doing your own style, though, use as many shades as you need to make it look as best as possible.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 08:51:03 PM
What I did to learn was start by editing a sprite long ago (in my case, LttP Link). Then I tried making a character I actually knew (changed Spring Man to Bender in RM7FC). And from there, I looked at a base sprite Wily made for me (WombatMan). I'm still editing sprites (Karma Woman is an edit of Metal Man) but it's working out well.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 09:09:59 PM
It depends on the style of spriting, of course. Each style has it's own color limit and shade limit. For example, generally in RockMan ZX style, you'd have a max of 4~5 shades for one color.

If you're doing your own style, though, use as many shades as you need to make it look as best as possible.

The way it works on SNES, Genesis, GBA and so on: all 'sprites' are 16 colors total. That is, 15 colors and transparency. Look at ANY sprite from this systems, and you'll find this to be true.

On better systems, PS1, Saturn, DS and so on, this is still often used. Rockman always used it, hence the simple conversion of 8's sprites to SNES and GBA.

How many shades you use per given color follows naturally.

Offline DarkWaltz

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Magic bananas!
    • View Profile
    • DarkWaltz's DeviantArt Page
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2010, 04:22:22 AM
Well, the character I want to sprite is one of my DBZ ocs but four or five shades to represent one color seems good. Except she has at least two different hues of blue.

I have the usual Paint program but is Corel Painter good for it?

And, I'm gonna sound like a moron for this, but transparency as a color?  :\

I'm really sorry, never done the whole spriting thing so I'm completely ignorant of these kinds of terms and the methods...

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 27, 2010, 03:35:16 PM
Well, the character I want to sprite is one of my DBZ ocs but four or five shades to represent one color seems good. Except she has at least two different hues of blue.

It doesn't matter how many shades you use per color. In spriting in an established style, you simply attempt to mimic the basic look. You can use as many shades as to make something look good, without breaching the 16 color limit. It should be your own artistic call whether or not more or less shading makes it look better, worse, more accurate, or less accurate.

And, I'm gonna sound like a moron for this, but transparency as a color?  Undecided

A sprite is on a background. If not made transparent, you would have a square border around your sprite.

In order to properly make it transparent, that background is of a color not present in the sprite. Because otherwise, your sprite itself would have unwanted transparency.

Both game engine and art programs simply need to define one unique color as transparent, thus transparency is a color.