HyperSonicEXE · 11646

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
on: November 12, 2008, 08:35:46 PM
http://kotaku.com/5083162/wireless-wii-classic-controller-glides-into-stores

Here's the main things you need to know:
~Recognized as a Classic Controller, not Gamecube
~Connects to one of your Wiimotes via the bottom port (Nunchuks, Wii MotionPlus, etc.)
~Uses AAA Batteries (even rechargeables, including a MiniUSB port for recharging them)

Now see, THIS is what I was looking forward to when I got the ThrustMaster, but that controller just wasn't working out. Yes, it also served as a Gamecube Controller, that's what it was recognized as, but the dongle became a flashing blue annoyance and it was NOT made for SSBB, at all. Even then, some Gamecube games controlled horribly due to the SNES layout of ABXY.

Thoughts on this? Looks pretty good, and the fact that it might actually put those USB ports on the back of the Wii to use is a plus.
Now I do have a Wavebird. Thing is...try using that to play Super Mario World. ...yeah.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:38:28 PM
This looks awesome. Makes me kinda regret getting a classic controller so soon, but hell as you said Wavebird + most SNES games = do not want. Case in point: Super Metroid. XD

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:40:36 PM
Yeah, I've got a Classic Controller, too.

The cord's not long enough, though. I'm constantly having to fandangle with the Wiimote it's attached to. And, this one looks like it'd be better on my hands (in case any of you are curious, no, the Classic Controller and SNES Controller do not have the same dimensions and curves).

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:52:05 PM
I don't really see the point of this.  I mean, when attached to the WiiMote, the Classic Controller is already Wireless. 

Offline CephiYumi

• Kick the door, hit the floor, magical words (groovy!)
  • RPM Purifier
  • mew mew~
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:57:49 PM
I don't really see the point of this.  I mean, when attached to the WiiMote, the Classic Controller is already Wireless. 

this, and I think I'll jus stick with my super famicon classic controller for now ^^

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:41:07 PM
...ThrustMaster, but that controller just wasn't working out.

Specifically regarding SSB, what was bad? What the Joystick weird? Also, how is the D-pad? It looks weird. Try to list all the things you didn't like about the Thrustmaster.
My CC Setup:
B=Jump
Y=Attack
A=Special
X=Guard
R=Grab
C-Stick=Special

PS: Also, keep in mind that buying(or using one that usually comes with most cellphones) a USB wall adapter and plugging the contoller in near your couch might be easier than using the Wii's USB port so you can tether yourself to your wii while wirelessly connecting to the Wii Remote that is wirelessly connected to the Wii. Also, those with some electronics knowledge(3v DC) might want to fabricate a docking station for the wii remote for a totally battery(ie?)less setup.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:20:17 PM
this thing looks like a must get. i think the Classic Controller is uncomfortable.

This looks awesome. Makes me kinda regret getting a classic controller so soon, but hell as you said Wavebird + most SNES games = do not want. Case in point: Super Metroid. XD

Super Metroid lets you customize the controls. it plays fine on my HORI. then again, that thing's D Pad is better than the GC's analog and D Pad combined.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:54 PM

There's a wire going from the Classic Controller to the Wiimote.  8)
I know there's not a cord going from the Wii to the rest of it, but I'm a very "free" kinda person, ya know? Especially when the cord is that short, there's not much room for movement.
That said, I don't own a wireless Nunchuk. Now THAT is a waste of money.

Specifically regarding SSB, what was bad? What the Joystick weird? Also, how is the D-pad? It looks weird. Try to list all the things you didn't like about the Thrustmaster.
My CC Setup:
B=Jump
Y=Attack
A=Special
X=Guard
R=Grab
C-Stick=Special

PS: Also, keep in mind that buying(or using one that usually comes with most cellphones) a USB wall adapter and plugging the contoller in near your couch might be easier than using the Wii's USB port so you can tether yourself to your wii while wirelessly connecting to the Wii Remote that is wirelessly connected to the Wii. Also, those with some electronics knowledge(3v DC) might want to fabricate a docking station for the wii remote for a totally battery(ie?)less setup.

Yeah, analog sticks. Mainly. Those just weren't going to agree with my hands, period.
Also, I like to use short hops, a lot, and no matter how I mapped it, I just couldn't pull them off.

this, and I think I'll jus stick with my super famicon classic controller for now ^^

I wanted that for when the MyNintendo prizes come on-line in the U.S., but I'm not so sure, now.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:47:16 PM

Luckily I already own SM for SNES, so I don't have to worry about poor control. :)

Offline xnamkcor

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:53:11 PM
Yeah, analog sticks. Mainly. Those just weren't going to agree with my hands, period.
Also, I like to use short hops, a lot, and no matter how I mapped it, I just couldn't pull them off.

That setup is made for Toon/Link. Great for Short Hopping and using his Grapple to cancel out of the Air-Guard.

I've pondered shelling out an old DS1 or DS2 and filling it with Classic Controller parts. I also have a GCN-PS2 adapter I have yet to try with SSBB. If I could use the DS2's cord and make an adapter at the end of it to connect to the Wii Remote, that might also solve some length problems.

Offline Lami

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 08:11:00 PM
I want to go back in time and kill whoever put those analog sticks on the bottom.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 09:41:38 PM

Here's another one that may interest people. This one's a Classic Controller-type, made by Hori (who's already made a handful of noted Arcade Sticks and etc. on the Wii).

Comes out in around the 26th, according to Play-asia...I'll be looking forward to it...

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 09:43:28 PM

Here's another one that may interest people. This one's a Classic Controller-type, made by Hori (who's already made a handful of noted Arcade Sticks and etc. on the Wii).

Comes out in around the 26th, according to Play-asia...I'll be looking forward to it...

This one looks hefty fine.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 09:43:47 PM
That's just sexy.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 09:44:41 PM

That one looks better, IMO.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 09:47:40 PM

I don't really like it, when I want to use a CC it is so I can use the D-pad, I don't like having it below the analog stick =/

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 09:57:48 PM
i'm a little worried about the D Pad myself. it looks a little more elevated than the GCs D Pad, but still. regardless, i'll give it a look.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 10:06:29 PM
I never touch a low device for primary control, be it D-Pad or Stick.  I can pjwn Armored Core with a pad, and I can pjwn MegaMan Zero with a stick.  Whatever works.

On the Wing, or any other such "wireless" Classic controller substitute, using two sets of batteries at once = failure.  I'll stick with my GCN controller.  It blows for some SNES games, but I got all the GBA Mario Advance ports already.  Sim City, ActRaiser, Zelda, and SMRPG all work fine, and with Metroid at least you can customize the controls.  Contra 3 is my only troublesome one.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)