The Official E3 2009 Discussion Thread & Lounge (May 30, 2009 - June 5, 2009)

Jericho · 176019

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Holy [tornado fang], MARIO?!

Wii is revenge of NES confirmed. XD

Also, please don't leak anything else Nintendo, the ball's in your court to completely show surprise dominance at E3 so far, don't kill your trump card!

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be but so "worried".

This was likely only leaked to Nikkei because Nintendo WANTED it to be leaked. Otherwise, Nintendo Ninjas would have likely "done whatever was necessary" to keep a tight wrap on things.  8D

Reading over those "rumors" at GAF though...my mind only races about what we could stand to see...and if my poor boy, Roy and the rest of the Koopalings will EVER come back, some day...  ;O;

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
i'm doubting it will be a core Mario title. it's probably just another sports game, Mario Party 9, or Play on Wii: Super Mario Sunshine.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
... óVó

I dunno. I'll hope for the best, but I don't think the old "Third Pillar" strategy is going to pan out nearly as well for Sony as it did for Ninty.

And FINALLY, it looks like Ninty has joined the "leak" bandwagon. Source is Nikkei News 

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16074419&postcount=128
(Original JP link is here: http://www.nikkei.co.jp/news/main/20090531AT1D2907V30052009.html)

Basically, new Wii Fit is coming and also a new MARIO game is confirmed to be on the way. Both slated for the 2nd half of this year. It would seem that Ninty realizes that Wii sales are slipping, and are on the way to do more to do something about that.

Could it be Super Paper Mario 2? Mario Galaxy's successor? Who knows, but we could stand to find out in a few days...  *o*

None of the above. It'll be a spinoff game: Mario Party 9, Mario Strikers 3, or Mario Baseball 3.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
We'll find out soon enough. Meanwhile pre-E3 update on the Brawl Dojo of all places. Go check it out! [I can't link, browsing from Wii currently.] I see great awesome headed this way.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
i'm doubting it will be a core Mario title. it's probably just another sports game, Mario Party 9, or Play on Wii: Super Mario Sunshine.

If Ninty is really serious about boosting Wii sales, it shouldn't be any of these. One would think that they would invest in something that would have at least as much pull as something like Galaxy, if not possibly be Wii's "answer" to something like what New SMB has done, and continues to do, for the DS. Not even Mario Party has that kind of "pull" that something like a core Mario game would bring to the Wii's line-up, and Ninty has to realize that.

...Of course, this is assuming the Mario is indeed a Wii game. The article doesn't confirm the notion that it is Wii-bound, without a shadow of a doubt.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I thought it did, especially with that one line about "bolstering the sales of Wii in Japan".

Posted on: May 31, 2009, 05:28:41
The article for all those interested in the details:

The new "Wii Fit Plus" game will now allow you to compare your body weight or health with friends and distant family members, thanks to an added online functionality. Additionally, a improved measurement capabilities will allow for a better health control. Special exercises destined to aged people, and aiming to lower their body charge will also be added.

The second half of the year will also see the release of a new entry in the popular "Mario" game series. Their aim is to support the decelerating sales of the Wii video game console.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
I thought it did, especially with that one line about "bolstering the sales of Wii in Japan".

I would like to think so too. But since the article itself did not do anything to confirm/deny anything of the sort, all we can do is just infer that's what's intended.

After all, while a New SMB 2 for the DS would be the stuff of awesome, it's not like the DS/DSi's sales are slowing down. Hell, even New SMB itself is still selling to this day. The Wii is the system that needs a new hit like a crackhead, and a new, well done, EAD Tokyo-crafted Mario could definitely accomplish that.

I also like the notion that some one at GAF brought up about the notion of a "NPC Mario Sunshine". The reliance on camera control that game requires alone would be a bit much to try and adapt to Wii controls. Doing that much in the way of work for an older game just doesn't seem to be in the cards...

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I also like the notion that some one at GAF brought up about the notion of a "NPC Mario Sunshine". The reliance on camera control that game requires alone would be a bit much to try and adapt to Wii controls. Doing that much in the way of work for an older game just doesn't seem to be in the cards...

Yeah, not to mention that I remember hearing that Nintendo only wanted to do New Play Control games for the ones already listed (Mario Power Tennis, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Pikmin 1 & 2, Chibi-Roo, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat) and no others.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
After all, while a New SMB 2 for the DS would be the stuff of awesome

Picking up Yoshi Eggs in Super Mario Advance wasn't enough? >U<

Actually, completely new levels would be pretty neat. And fighting against 3D-shaped bosses too~
Birdo, Mouser, Triclyde, Fryguy, Clawgrip, Wart... And maybe new bosses too. ^.^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Picking up Yoshi Eggs in Super Mario Advance wasn't enough? >U<

When is it EVER enough, Vixy, my dear?  [eyebrow]

Actually, completely new levels would be pretty neat. And fighting against 3D-shaped bosses too~
Birdo, Mouser, Triclyde, Fryguy, Clawgrip, Wart... And maybe new bosses too. ^.^

Now, THAT's more like it!  owob

Anything that could stand to bring back the likes of Mouser, Tryclyde and Wart would be welcome. Poor guys have been all but dropped from recent Mario-mythos, for whatever reason. They, as well as the Koopalings, need to return in style, and SOON!

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
We'll find out soon enough. Meanwhile pre-E3 update on the Brawl Dojo of all places. Go check it out! [I can't link, browsing from Wii currently.] I see great awesome headed this way.

As of June 30th, 2009, the current service that accepts user-generated snapshots, stage designs, and replay data will no longer be available. Please note, however, that we will continue to distribute such data after that date.

Wait, do you mean this?  Haha, has Nintendo tickled your Brawl Channel thoughts, Jelly?  8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Wait, do you mean this?  Haha, has Nintendo tickled your Brawl Channel thoughts, Jelly?  8D

It would be nice, wouldn't it?  8D

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
It would be nice, wouldn't it?  8D

Oh definitely!  As for the Mario title, my money is on Super Mario Extradimensional!   óVó

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile

I refuse to let anything get to me, but this one kinda makes me wonder... XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
I refuse to let anything get to me, but this one kinda makes me wonder... XD

The wording of "The current service" probbaly makes you think, "OH MY GOD, DOES THAT MEAN A NEW SERVICE?  GASP, BRAWL CHANNEL.  YES, DOWNLOADABLE CHARACTERS, LEVELS, MUSIC.  OH [parasitic bomb], THEY MADE BLAZE AND KRYSTAL CHARACTERS.  OHHHHHHH [tornado fang]!"

8)

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Released in 2H 2009? It couldn't possibly be Super Mario Galaxy 2. ...could it? I mean I guess the gameplay engine is already done, sure, but...

And brb, going to check the Brawl update.

As of June 30th, 2009, the current service that accepts user-generated snapshots, stage designs, and replay data will no longer be available. Please note, however, that we will continue to distribute such data after that date.

It's just a cutoff, guys!

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
The wording of "The current service" probbaly makes you think, "OH MY GOD, DOES THAT MEAN A NEW SERVICE?  GASP, BRAWL CHANNEL.  YES, DOWNLOADABLE CHARACTERS, LEVELS, MUSIC.  OH [parasitic bomb], THEY MADE BLAZE AND KRYSTAL CHARACTERS.  OHHHHHHH [tornado fang]!"

8)

Minus your character choices, you nailed the inner child that's so desperately trying to get out right now. XD

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Released in 2H 2009? It couldn't possibly be Super Mario Galaxy 2. ...could it? I mean I guess the gameplay engine is already done, sure, but...

Well, if we were to assume that they started work soon after Galaxy was finished, as well as the game meeting every quality standard that Miyamoto could stand to have in place, 2 years after Galaxy sounds about right.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
That's why I said it'll be called Super Mario Extradimensional.  Mario will now travel from universe to universe!  He'll have to wear new Link, Pit, and Fox Suits!   >0<

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
What I would like to know is what kind of game could succeed Super Mario Galaxy..?

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
What I would like to know is what kind of game could succeed Super Mario Galaxy..?

Something with Rosalina in a 2-piece swimsuit.

...I mean...what?

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Any ol' artist can do that much Aldo. XD

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
It's already been done, I know.

But, not in