The Official E3 2009 Discussion Thread & Lounge (May 30, 2009 - June 5, 2009)

Jericho · 176508

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
the thing that made me drop Unleashed was the sun and moon medals. i just got fed up looking for them, and it killed the pace of the game. it's a shame, too, as i didn't really mind the Werehog stages, except for the battle music that played every 5 seconds.

the Werehog stages are not "Too Slow," and the day stages are not "Too Fast." that just needed to be said.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
The night stages in Unleashed were the only ones I actually -did- enjoy.  I thought the level design in the day stages was complete and utter crap.

Also, I'll never finish the game because I can't find enough god damned medals to open the last stage before Robotnikland. :|

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
You know, I've never had the problem of not finding enough medals, for some reason. I always had enough to get to the next level. They weren't too hard to find, aside from maybe two or three well hidden ones. Most are in places you'd expect them to be: alternate paths, right on the route but in an area not so well visible. I always did one run where I explored the day level slowly for them. When I found them all, I'd restart and do a full speed run, usually to the tune of an A or an S Rank, as it helped to see what was coming in the level.

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
I also found it easy to find the sun/moon medals. as for the rest of them...I'd rather just stop playing. In any case, Sonic Unleashed was still a good game, though in my opininon, the Wii/PS2 version was better. I say this mostly because of the level design in day stages. However the 360/PS3 version did have a better fighting system...except for the whole "if you fail to press the right button for the finishing quick time event attack, the enemy will attack you and regain all of it's hp back" thing they did for that version, that and you could practicaly beat the enemies by mashing random buttons in every fight. I also like the Wii/PS2 version because the final battle felt a little bit more...epic, also you didn't have to play as the very very very slow Temple Megazord every time you hit one of the final bosses' eyes in the Wii/PS3 version.

And yes I have played both versions. No I didn't buy the two just to compare their diffrences, I exchanged the first to play the other version.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
I like Charles Martinet's E3 badge.

It's so... double-crafty. Woo hoo~ ^^

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
I like Charles Martinet's E3 badge.

It's so... double-crafty. Woo hoo~ ^^
I'd say that it suits him perfectly :P

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
What if we had the ability to change the looks of New SMB Wii? :3

Quote from: Mama Robotnik
When Nintendo announced New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I was pleased. New Super Mario Bros. was a fun adventure, and I've never been able to have too much Mario.

I found it interesting that Nintendo would choose to base the new four-player game heavily on the graphical and gameplay style of New Super Mario Bros. My initial thoughts were that the game would have made more of a visual impact during its E3 reveal had it been a brand-new graphical imagining of 2D Mario.

But then I considered the power of nostalgia, the excitement and praise of when GAF first saw Megaman 9. I wondered, how would we have reacted if Nintendo had elected to build New Super Mario Bros. Wii on one of the older Mario styles, rather than the DS approach. And what possibilities would such a choice have given us.

To promote discussion and to help us imagine a different path, I took a screenshot from NSMBWii, and remade it using the gameplay and graphical styles of the previous Mario games.

Notes

* I've tried to make the landmass the closest possible approximation, so the level design is Nintendo-design.

* Peach replaces blue/yellow Toad in all shots, as I wanted to use only sprites from the games with as little modifications as possible. In the SMB1 screenshot, I used bubbles from the water-stages to make the Toad-bubble.

* Feel free to criticise the quality, they were made in MSPaint using a ton of copy/pasting, and I've never claimed to be an artist.

* My alternate title for this thread was Tales from GeoNAF.

My thoughts

* NSMBWii based on the SMB1 style would have been a hardcore, challenging game for the ages, in the vein of Megaman 9. Assuming the simple mechanics and powerups were maintained, it would be an amazing focus of four-players on pure relentless platforming.

* The SMB2 approach has the most interesting possibilites, I feel. The mechanics and style of this game have been revisted far less than the others, and I'd love to see Nintendo build on this underated gem in the way SMB1's style evolved into SMB3/SMW. Tackling one of SMB2's unique bosses with four players throwing turnips and bombs is a mayhem I could really get into.

* The SMB3 approach would be tremendously exciting. SMB3 was a game of unexpected possibilities, especially in terms of powerups. To see return the Hammer Suit, Tanooki Suit, and Kuribo's Shoe would be an amazing prospect.

* The SMW approach looks the prettiest, it is amazing how the game has not aged.

* Of the four possibilities present, I'd probably elect either Super Mario Bros 2 or 3 as a foundation for a alternate four-player Mario Wii game.

GAFs turn

So I turn the thread over to GAF. If Nintendo had chosen an alternate foundation for NSMBWii, what would you have liked that foundation to be?

And during the E3 conference, if Nintendo unveiled the game using one of these foundations, which one would have sent your internal hype meter into overdrive?

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
I'd switch to SMB3 mode in a heartbeat!

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
All of those would have been awesome!