• RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #75 on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:17 PM
I want 360, but... I'm afraid of rings of death~ :'(

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: August 24, 2009, 07:31:52 PM
The rings of death are common. So common, in fact, that one out of two 360's bought will get them within a month. 8D

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: August 24, 2009, 07:33:29 PM
except i've had my 360 for years and still haven't red ringed.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #78 on: August 24, 2009, 07:34:40 PM
Ventilation motherfuckers, make sure it gets enough of it! XD

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: August 24, 2009, 07:34:48 PM
the Jasper units don't RRoD. and if they aren't the default model by now, M$ is [tornado fang]ing retarded.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: August 24, 2009, 07:35:42 PM
It's statistics, dear. It doesn't mean it will happen, it just means there's a high probability that it could.

the Jasper units don't RRoD. and if they aren't the default model by now, M$ is [tornado fang]ing retarded.
What's a Jasper?

Ventilation motherfuckers, make sure it gets enough of it! XD
I think that's a veiled "if doesn't work for you, you're doing it wrong" statement. That's what Microsoft said about Vista and they were wrong. That's also what they say about the 360--and guess what?--they're wrong. The 360 is the one console that needs a re-design. The current one is flawed. The failure rates for the PS3 and the Wii aren't even in the double digits.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: August 24, 2009, 07:38:04 PM

For every person that doesn't get the RRoD, another one gets seven.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: August 24, 2009, 07:41:50 PM
What's a Jasper?

it's a specific model of 360 with different chipsets and other internal whatnot.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: August 24, 2009, 07:43:49 PM
You know, I do believe that MS was very foolish to make this move, but what I'm more shocked at is how many people continued buying 360s with the unreliable hardware. I actually know someone IRL who has had at least 8 different instances of RRoD and 1 E74 error, the Jasper equivalent of a RRoD. Funniest part is this guy lost quite a bit of money on each instance after the 3rd time.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: August 24, 2009, 07:45:59 PM
Well, if I ever do decide to get a 360, I would definitely remember to look for these things.

Back on topic: I would only think about getting a PS3 if the price decreases a bit more. It's still too rich for my blood. All the consoles are.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: August 24, 2009, 07:46:57 PM
You know, I do believe that MS was very foolish to make this move, but what I'm more shocked at is how many people continued buying 360s with the unreliable hardware. I actually know someone IRL who has had at least 8 different instances of RRoD and 1 E74 error, the Jasper equivalent of a RRoD. Funniest part is this guy lost quite a bit of money on each instance after the 3rd time.

The only reason I can think of would be save data.  

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: August 24, 2009, 07:51:09 PM
I think this is the lowest low the PS3 price will ever reach. So if you really want one you got to save yourself some money. No way around that.

As for the Xbox: If Microsoft's next console will have the same problems again, even if just for a small amount of time, I'd leave the ship. It would prove that they learned nothing or just don't care. Console wars (I hate them) aside, 33% failure rate is absolutely and indisputably too high for this day and age. For any product out there, I'm not just talking about consoles. You can't possibly defend that, or try to talk it down. So let's hope the neXtbox will be more reliable.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: August 24, 2009, 07:52:58 PM
33%?  Last I heard, it was at 54% Failure Rate.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: August 24, 2009, 07:54:24 PM
I think this is the lowest low the PS3 price will ever reach. So if you really want one you got to save yourself some money. No way around that.

As for the Xbox: If Microsoft's next console will have the same problems again, even if just for a small amount of time, I'd leave the ship. It would prove that they learned nothing or just don't care. Console wars (I hate them) aside, 33% failure rate is absolutely and indisputably too high for this day and age. For any product out there, I'm not just talking about consoles. You can't possibly defend that, or try to talk it down. So let's hope the neXtbox will be more reliable.
It's Microsoft, so no, it won't be more reliable. If anything, it'll be worse than the current XBox.

That's what I heard too.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: August 24, 2009, 07:55:14 PM

I'm a nice guy and cut them some slack.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: August 24, 2009, 07:55:53 PM

This is correct. It's really bad business when something like this gets away without more public spectacle. The generally accepted failure rate for most electronic products is something like 3 - 8% or so after all IIRC.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: August 24, 2009, 08:00:17 PM
This is correct. It's really bad business when something like this gets away without more public spectacle. The generally accepted failure rate for most electronic products is something like 3 - 8% or so after all IIRC.
360: 54%
PS3: 11%
Wii: 7%

Source: http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/176741.asp

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: August 24, 2009, 08:02:36 PM
My friend has literally told both Lou and myself that he's so disgusted withe the 360's failure rate, before it was 54%, that he wouldn't even take a free one, and that if someone got it for him, he'd literally sell it and use that money for more games.  Honestly, I don't blame him.  That amount of failures is really unacceptable, for any piece of hardware.  Which is a shame too, because I do like my 360.  

As for the PS3, I agree with Acid.  I doubt the price of it will ever be lower.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #93 on: August 24, 2009, 08:05:30 PM
My friend has literally told both Lou and myself that he's so disgusted withe the 360's failure rate, before it was 54%, that he wouldn't even take a free one, and that if someone got it for him, he'd literally sell it and use that money for more games.  Honestly, I don't blame him.  That amount of failures is really unacceptable, for any piece of hardware.  Which is a shame too, because I do like my 360.  

As for the PS3, I agree with Acid.  I doubt the price of it will ever be lower.
I'll probably end up buying a used one. I bought my PS2 off my brother for $50.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: August 24, 2009, 08:57:05 PM
I got a refurbished 360 for like $180 when the 20-gig Pro dropped down to, what was it, $250 temporarily?  Well over a year ago, in any case.  It hasn't given me any trouble thus far.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.