Slimstation 3: Slimmer, Cheaper, Sony-er

Setsuna F. Seiei · 16735

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: August 19, 2009, 08:41:41 PM
And then eat it?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: August 19, 2009, 08:56:47 PM
This redesign thing, is it really necessary? Sony has a bad habit with unnessacary redesigns...

PS1 to PSone, I don't see the point. They made the console smaller, but it wasn't necessary.

PS2 to PS2 Slim, This was the only one I actually liked. It makes playing modified games easier. :P

PS3 To PS3 "Cardboard", all they did this time was make the console uglier and somewhat smaller. Its not like its making gameplay any better.

PSP to PSP Slim, Another pointless change. Making something smaller to help it fit in your pocket will also make it easier to break.

PSP Slim to PSP Go, PSP Cell Phone without the phone. Thats all I'm going to say.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: August 19, 2009, 09:06:01 PM
I still need to find me one of the fliptop systems that aren't the newest models. I don't know if those are as susceptible to modding as the older fliptops, so I'd rather not risk it.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: August 19, 2009, 09:32:22 PM
Its not like its making gameplay any better.

No, but it makes them cheaper.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Reply #54 on: August 19, 2009, 09:53:27 PM
Hey, it also means new redesigns of funstation and polystation 8D

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: August 20, 2009, 12:29:59 AM
It doesn't add BC, it didn't make it a flat-top for console stacking, it didn't even improve the guts of the system. Either Sony knows exactly how to sell redesigned consoles, or they don't know ****.

And that'll all depend on consumer response.
*crosses fingers for light sales*

[spoiler]And before I hear any [sonic slicer]ing about the DS to DSLite, the DSLite had a much better screen and a different grip.[/spoiler]

Offline Skaarg

• Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: August 20, 2009, 03:42:21 AM
Aldo, I will semi-bite that one. Sure the DS lite was alright since it had a better screen, but it had terrible hinges that easily break. The DSi though was almost completely pointless. They cut off GBA compatibility and will lead to forcing people to upgrade since there will only be DSi games soon that don't work on the DS.

Also Kallen the PSP Slim wasn't completely pointless it added twice the memory to improve load times and web browsing. How many people do you see using the DS browser because of it's memory restrictions. =P

>Mega Man Zero 4
>Ragnarok Core
>120 Seconds
FINAL DESTINATION

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: August 20, 2009, 04:02:07 AM
I don't know why people are still acting like cutting out the GBA functionality of the DSi is that big of a deal. Or at least, like it was that big of a surprise.

I mean, have people forgotten when the latter GBA generations took away GB/GBC functionality? Or hell, taking it back even further, remember when GBC came out, and eventually, "GBC-only" games were released for that system, "forcing people to upgrade"? How is that any different from what's going on now, really?

In both cases it was something to be expected. Companies do these types of things to either a) do more to streamline the portable, as a whole and/or b) to make money by forcing people to upgrade if they want to "stay in the game". Truly, the old saying of how "there's nothing new under the sun" stills holds true, because it's the same [parasitic bomb], just different day and age.

What happened with the DSi, is basically, more of the same. And likewise with the various Sony upgrades over the years. They only did more to copy the example that Nintendo and Sega did years ago, after all!  8D

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #58 on: August 20, 2009, 12:46:22 PM

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #59 on: August 22, 2009, 12:52:27 PM

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: August 22, 2009, 07:48:42 PM
You know, I actually like the new model better than the original.  It looks more like a natural progression of the PS2's design, which I was a fan of.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: August 22, 2009, 07:51:26 PM
You know, I actually like the new model better than the original.  It looks more like a natural progression of the PS2's design, which I was a fan of.

That makes around 29 positive opinions on the new design, against 295,145,487 negative opinions.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: August 22, 2009, 07:52:10 PM
*shrugs*

The Other Side

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: August 22, 2009, 07:53:16 PM
I'm one of the 29 btw.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #64 on: August 22, 2009, 07:57:41 PM
Me too. ^^
Even if there's no hardware BC, it's still lets you play any PS3 game, since it's region-free.
I want to play a lot of exclusive RPGs and fighting games.

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: August 22, 2009, 08:03:51 PM
The look has slightly grown on me, but I still think both systems are pretty ugly.  I do prefer the PS3 Slim's nicer cover as opposed to the dust magnet Gloss on my two PS3's.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: August 22, 2009, 08:20:16 PM
I don't think I've posted it here, but I actually do like the redesigned PS3's look. The only thing I'm miffed at is BC, but I can deal with new PS2s being so cheap lately.

Unless anyone wants to make me a deal on a BC PS3. 8D

Archer

Reply #67 on: August 22, 2009, 08:25:34 PM
People should be looking at the game the console is playing, not the console itself.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: August 22, 2009, 08:27:12 PM
The new design is starting to grow on me, I don't really need to care about BC anyway... I have a PS2 with no limits.  XD

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: August 23, 2009, 05:22:43 PM
Yeah, my PS2 is slightly modified so I can play burned games and imports on it anyway, so I don't really need PS3 backwards compatibility.  Admittedly, it would've been -nice-...

The Other Side

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: August 23, 2009, 06:17:42 PM
I'll tell you all this right now, PS2 playback at least on a software emulated PS3 isn't too great. Things look a little weird and some games lag a little or refuse to work at all. Now mind you there's a pretty decent amount of support on the game, but I've ran into odd glitches with newer titles. Re:CoM for one cannot be played unless you download a savefile that's after the first tutorial. I had a fun encounter with enemies where Sora was outside the active battle arena and had to rely on spamming thundaga. Also cards stopped dropping after battles.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: August 23, 2009, 06:36:49 PM
Screw this thing.

I want a Fatstation.  The biggest console ever.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: August 24, 2009, 07:21:42 PM
Sorry, but they can re-design it, decrease the price, but so long as none of the games interest me, I won't be buying.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #73 on: August 24, 2009, 07:27:52 PM
Sorry, but they can re-design it, decrease the price, but so long as none of the games interest me, I won't be buying.

I'm sure there would be a game coming out that would make you reconsider~  owob

But in reality, lets see how far this goes. PS2 Slim did well not because of it's game library, but of it's portability too. Yep, slim enough for use with a hotel TV.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: August 24, 2009, 07:28:43 PM
i'm in the same boat as Nodoka. every game i give a damn about on PS3 is also on 360.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.