Hypershell · 125143

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #50 on: November 13, 2008, 06:53:29 AM
Eh, forgot that Avalanche has a low speed priority, my bad.

In that case, yeah, Ice Punch is the way to go.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sparky

• Игра закончена
  • A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #51 on: November 13, 2008, 07:00:15 AM
I'm still seething in rage after finding out none of the Platinum move tutors give out Counter. Now I can't raise a new Dusknoir the way I intend to now.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
http://gonintendo.com/?p=62706

If you have a Japanese game that is >_>
... Darkrai... *twitches*
Always getting the good stuff...

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 07:36:37 PM
I managed to miss out on a Darkrai event that was on over here just last week. I kinda ignored it until there were only a few days left, and then things kept happening that needed my attention.

But it's okay, Darkrai's not that interesting anyway.

On the plus side I found a shiny Starly just earlier. S'docile, though, so, well, yeah.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 07:42:01 PM
I just want Darkrai for collection sakes...
Maybe pwning the Elite 4 for kicks... >.>;

Speaking of which, I can't believe I'm still grinding Pokemon in my Pearl...
Now grinding Hoenn Pokemon.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 07:44:40 PM
Ooh, I just thought of a way to put my R4 to good use with this  :V

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 07:47:02 PM
You people and your R4/ARDS...

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: November 13, 2008, 07:49:43 PM
1-Download Platinum and a good save file
2-Download ticket and catch Darkrai
3-Trade to Pearl
4-Delete save file
5-Download the save again
6-Repeat 2-5 as necessary
7-???
8-PROFIT!

8D

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: November 13, 2008, 07:53:04 PM
Could you keep one for me if I ever get my WiFi to work? -_-

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 07:53:43 PM
Consider it done if I even remember to do this at all XD

Offline Dr. Wily II

• RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: November 13, 2008, 07:56:03 PM
Good... GOOD! [eyebrow]

*quotes post*
There. :P
And with that, I'm off to sleep... @_@

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: November 14, 2008, 02:08:48 AM
Eh, forgot that Avalanche has a low speed priority, my bad.

In that case, yeah, Ice Punch is the way to go.

Actually, Avalanche goes the same speed, it just benefits slower Pokemon is all.

I put Ice Shard on there because I've seen some sets with Scarfs on them and whatnot, and if Weavile's going up against a Dragon like Salamence or Dragonite, I'd rather have it hit first than die (Besides, since it'll have either Choice Band or Life Orb on it, it's not going to hurt too much).

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: November 14, 2008, 02:39:58 AM
Anyone know a good Grass Special Sweeper I can use?  I have to re Ev-train almost all my pokemon because I wasn't EVing them correctly and I don't want another Venusaur because the only Special Attacks I could teach it was Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb and Secret Power.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #63 on: November 14, 2008, 02:59:46 AM
Anyone know a good Grass Special Sweeper I can use?  I have to re Ev-train almost all my pokemon because I wasn't EVing them correctly and I don't want another Venusaur because the only Special Attacks I could teach it was Energy Ball, Sludge Bomb and Secret Power.

Those and Solar Beam.

I am STILL traning my Gallade, yet I feel that that the Fight Area's feild does benifit Lv5 or so Pokemon. (Give EXP share to one of them, then Lv up, the easy way, without having to see credits roll every time)

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: November 14, 2008, 03:08:04 AM

There's always Roserade. It's a sexy beast that's faster than Venasaur and can even learn Extrasensory (plus since it has a huge Sp. Attack rating, it can deal some heavy damage with HP Fire). If you want a completely random one that I ended up coming with (on FC), there was an Exeggutor set with Chlorophyll and the moveset was: Synthesis, Sunny Day, Solarbeam, and HP Fire, with Heat Rock as the item, and you just put 252 EVs into it's Sp. Attack and Speed (I found out that the top speed doubled is fast enough to outrun almost any pokemon in the game and most need at least a single level boost to beat it), and since it has a Grass and Fire attack, there aren't that many Pokemon that can resist it (not necessarily a Bolt/Beam combo, but it does hit it's fair share of threats pretty hard. You could ditch Sunny Day, put it on another Pokemon, and replace it with Psychic or Sludge Bomb or (if you have Platinum) Ancient Power (because it's always sexy to see all of your stats go up making it faster and stronger :D)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: November 14, 2008, 03:12:27 AM
Those and Solar Beam.

I am STILL traning my Gallade, yet I feel that that the Fight Area's feild does benifit Lv5 or so Pokemon. (Give EXP share to one of them, then Lv up, the easy way, without having to see credits roll every time)
I mean a Pokemon that is a Grass type and is good at using Special attacks and can learn a lot of Special attacks.  And no way am I teaching it Solar Beam since I'm not planning to teach it Sunny Day so it'll take 2 turns to attack in that time my Pokemon could be knocked out or seriously damaged if I'm lucky. 

Plus I'm not going to teach it Secret Power it has low power and will only cause Paralysis in buildings so no thanks. 

I don't want Venusaur because it can't learn too many good variety Special Attacks.

Stuff on Roserade
Does HP mean Hidden Power if yes you have got to be kidding me!  Hidden Power is just as powerful as Secret Power or Lower depending on the pokemon and plus there's type and nature issuses so no way am I teaching it that though, Roserade does seem like a good choice to use.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: November 14, 2008, 03:28:55 AM
Does HP mean Hidden Power if yes you have got to be kidding me!  Hidden Power has is just as powerful as Secret Power or Lower depending on the pokemon and plus there's type and nature issuses so no way am I teaching it that though Roserade does seem like a good choice to use.

HP = Hidden Power, but the beauty of it is that it can be ANY type. It's worth having on a pokemon, and if it helps, you can go for the nature first on a female (or a ditto, haven't tried it out yet), have it hold an Everstone, and then there's a 50% chance of the nature showing up (so you can aim for a female Roselia with a Modest or Timid nature, let the father be Nuzleaf with Extrasensory and Hidden Power, and then just use an IV calculator (like on Serebii) to figure out what the Hidden Power type is). It's easier than you think if you break down the problems into small little goals (the only real problem is the ability, but if you think about it, either ability is useful since one let's it get rid of Sleep or Paralyze on the switch, and the other let's it poison the foe as it has the last laugh when it gets KO'd by a physical attack). HP Fire let's Roserade destroy Steel and Ice walls that attempt to hit it (except Empoleon) or at least resist it's attacks, and if you want a different type, then that's also good (HP Bug lets it act as an anti-Dark and Psychic Pokemon and HP Fighting let's it rip through Steel and Ice types as well, but also hitting Normals heavily and HP Electric for an anti-Gyarados Pokemon). There's an IV Calculator on Serebii that lets you just type in the pokemon, nature, level, stats, and EVs put into it, and come up with what Hidden Power will be in terms of power and type.

Unless you want a Timid Roserade, I can actually breed you a female Roselia with a Modest nature and a male one with Extrasensory if you want, so you can breed for a particular HP.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: November 14, 2008, 04:14:30 AM
I asked Vixy to recover my mini-rant on this and it unfortunately was not found.

Hidden Power of a single type is used by cheaters.  Have you ever tried engineering one, of a single type AND favorable power, while at the same time maintaining a proper Nature?  God help you if there are two different Abilities to choose from.  Even with the best possible breeding setup, you're more likely to fill your entire cartridge with failure-breds than to get the 'man you're after.

Hidden Power is a gimmick that is abused by NetBattle.  To one who battles on the actual games, it has almost no value.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #68 on: November 14, 2008, 04:19:24 AM
Looks like someone besides me knows NetBattle.  :)

I happen to know it, but Hidden Power is considered a cheap move if you get the right type and nature of that Poke.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: November 14, 2008, 04:21:45 AM
That's because Hidden Power in anything but NetBattle is a dead giveaway of a PokeSaver.  The odds of getting a specific type of Hidden Power, and strength of 50 or more, along with a specific Nature all in the same Pokemon are approximately 800 to 1.  And that's the optimistic version, most trainers wouldn't want to settle for a strength of less than 60.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: November 14, 2008, 04:23:55 AM
I'd feel REALLY sorry for the guy that gets lucky on doing that legally and then gets accused of being a hacker XD

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: November 14, 2008, 04:32:07 AM
That's because Hidden Power in anything but NetBattle is a dead giveaway of a PokeSaver.  The odds of getting a specific type of Hidden Power, and strength of 60 or more, along with a specific Nature are approximately 800 to 1.

Not really. While a Pokemon with two abilities makes it extremely difficult to get the right setup for, the only real problem is getting the IV's. Since Females/Dittos can give off their nature with an Everstone (I have still yet to try the Ditto theory out), it pretty much just comes down to getting the right type of Hidden Power along with it's strength. Thanks in part to an IV calculator that's on several websites (and the fact that if you save with no eggs in your party or in the daycare you can just soft-reset failures), it's not that difficult to get a Hidden Power of a particular type and strength. With Legendaries, it's almost even easier as long as they're not runners, since you can catch them, do the calculations, and see what nature it is (though, it's only easier because you can toss a Master Ball at them and then check it out rather than go up and down for 5-10 minutes). Not EVERY Pokemon needs Hidden Power either; it's quite possible to run a team without ever touching it, it just lets Special Sweepers hit for a different type, something that shallow type move pool Pokemon such as Raikou love to death since they can have a Hidden Power type that let's it strike whatever walls it hard. For instance, Roserade with Energy Ball, Extrasensory, and Sludge Bomb (or Shadow Ball for any of them), easily gets walled by Steel types. Replace one with HP Fire, and now they're running scared from Roserade. Raikou loves HP Ice for a Bolt/Beam combo, and you can use HP Fighting on Alakazam if you don't feel like you can hit that well with Focus Blast.

If you look at the problem as a whole, it IS insane trying to get a particular Hidden Power while having a particular nature and a particular ability. However, if you cut each part into a different problem, it becomes easier to handle (except the ability, but even then, I hardly ever see Hidden Power on a Pokemon with two abilities with one of them being completely useless).

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: November 14, 2008, 05:00:53 AM
Well, Ballade, it's true that number is without a breeding setup.  However, you're Everstone info is wrong, even with Everstone breeding you can never have more than a 50/50 chance of passing on a Nature.  And I can tell you from personal experience that despite those claims, it make take a lot more than two breeding attempts before you're successful on Nature alone.

Besides saving PC space, resetting Eggs is pointless if you left the parents with the Daycare couple.  The Pokemon's stats are determined when the egg is received, not when it hatches, so you will not save any time.  Legends can be reset easily, of course, and should be if you want them to be decent in battle anyway.

You also have to account for your IV totals.  IVs range from 0-31, gaining 1 additional stat point for every IV at level 100.  That is a HUGE difference, so you want it to be favorable, in Speed especially a low IV can be detrimental.  If you're calculating Hidden Power, regardless of how lousy the resulting IVs are (you can get an ideal Hidden Power with no IVs greater than 3), the odds may look manageable.  1 in 64 if you're hoping for a specific Type matching or surpassing the strength of Aerial Ace.  But then Natures, even with Everstone breeding, take it down to 1 in 128.  And looking for IV totals suitable for competition brings it down further.

I did salvage my more detailed rant from RPM thanks to the magic of Google archives, which went into further details.  I'll Spoiler tag it for the sake of space, but long story short, if you're trying to get a favorable IV setup as well you're looking at approximately 1 in 320 odds even with the best possible breeding setup.

Granted this does not account for odd-ball scenarios such as failure to breed an IV while the resulting random IV is one of the three-or-so acceptable values; but the likelihood of going to such extreme lengths in a breeding setup are slim anyway, so this is still a fairly accurate idea of the pains it takes to legitimately get an ideal Hidden Power on a Pokemon with competitive IV's.

*removed due to inaccuracies, mainly roundoff error*
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:28:41 PM by Hypershell »

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: November 14, 2008, 05:16:08 AM
Well, Ballade, it's true that number is without a breeding setup.  However, you're Everstone info is wrong, even with Everstone breeding you can never have more than a 50/50 chance of passing on a Nature.

How many natures are there? Take that and divide by 100, and that's your chances of getting one normally. To make one 50% over ALL the others is a HUGE benefit, since that logically means that 1 of 2 eggs will have the right nature. You simply go from there. (If you also read my post correctly, I said no eggs anywhere. I already know that when one shows up it's set, it's a matter of resetting when it ISN'T there)

No one ever said it was easy to get a particular Hidden Power. Granted there's a lot of work to put in there, it doesn't mean that it's impossible. It's like accusing the top positioned players for cheating because it takes an insane amount of work to get that high. Just because it's difficult as all hell doesn't mean it isn't possible. Just find out what IVs are need in what areas to get a particular type and power (which you can do with Shoddy just by going to editing a team, setting the type and power, and just record the results). Once that's done, just breed, find out the IVs, and if they match, hooray (or just use an IV Calculator that already tells you what type it is).

It's like searching for buried treasure. The amount of effort you can put in can be quite exhausting, but once you find it, it makes it all the more worthwhile. That's why Hidden Power is on Pokemon that have very few offensive types to use, with the few exceptions being ones to just let it be a Mixed Sweeper such as Infernape.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: November 14, 2008, 05:19:47 AM
This is probably a stupid question, but:

Is there anyway that Pokemon could not be this complicated number-nerds' circlejerk? Could we eliminate all these hidden stats and natures and so forth?

That's as unlikely as MarioKart going back to basics, though.