Protodude · 7038

Offline Protodude

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Protodude's Rockman Corner
on: February 21, 2009, 07:19:04 PM
Very few Rockman news stories this week, but interesting ones nonetheless:

Warner Bros. Wanted a Mega Man Movie
According to an old news story from Dark Horizons, a popular Australian movie site, Warner Bros. was trying to obtain the rights to produce a Mega Man feature film.

"Got a kick out of the recent "news" that Shyamalan's been linked to Superman, no doubt because his name's been heard around Warner's quite a bit lately. So I figured I'd set the record straight. WB's been trying to get their mitts on the rights to the long running video game series Mega Man to turn into a feature film. Capcom, the creators, are wary of letting anyone touch the project, after a few disastrous licensing moves with the property as well as the recent "so so" reaction to other movie adaptations. The most recent move made was that the suits asked Capcom for a "wish list" of directors, and Shyamalan was the one name they came back with.

I dunno what made them think that the nuanced style of M. Night would be perfect for adapting a colorful video game character, but there you have it. I seriously doubt MNS would lower himself to doing a video game adaptation, but who knows? I suspect the big guys upstairs are at least making an attempt, in the efforts to get the movie made... for some reason, they think it will be a big deal and potential franchise".

No doubt, the project fell through as the film hasn't be heard of since. (Thank god)

Shooting Star Rockman 3 Makes Top 100 Software of '08...
Weekly Famitsu has compiled its annual game sales data for 2008, listing the top 100 selling games of this past year. So, where did SSR3 place? Number 75 with a total of 174,426 units. Ouch. Notably, that number applies only to the Red Joker version, meaning Black Ace didn't even chart. Double ouch. In previous years, Rockman games placed fairly high in the mid thirties to forties.

Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop Allows You To Snipe Kobuns For Sport
In preparation for Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop's release on the Wii, Capcom has unveiled an all new "challenge quest" mode, a collection of sub quests/mini games to broaden the game's replay value.

One such challenge is the "Kobun Mask Boom" mission. Here, everyone on screen wears a Kobun helmet and it's up to you to determine who's an innocent civilian and who's a blood thirsty zombie based on their behavior and appearance.

Capcom Set To Announce New Xbox 360 Game Feb. 23rd
Capcom is teasing a brand new game for the Xbox 360, set to be announced February 23rd in the form of a trailer on Xbox Live Marketplace.  Whether this pertains to Mega Man or not is unknown at this time, though a little speculation never hurts. Personally, I'm holding out for a Mega Man Soccer HD Remix.

Offline Sniper X

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 07:22:24 PM
Phew. Imagine what if Warner Bros. tries to make a Megaman movie?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:13:54 PM
OH GAWD NO... they would definitely go with the cyborg fan story.
oh god... I cant even begin to describe how horrible I feel just by imagining it.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline STM

• says you shouldn't play with your
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Herpus Derpimus Prima
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:35:12 PM
And thus we can safely say finally... Starforce is [tornado fang]ing dead.

Good riddance. Now get on X9, ZX3 or Legends 3, stat!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:56:13 PM
Phew. Imagine what if Warner Bros. tries to make a Megaman movie?
I could dig a Looney Tunes style.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:48:08 PM
MegaRockMan is one of those franchises where I really wouldn't mind a dumb movie that changes a lot of the source material.  I mean, the games have gone off in so many silly directions already.  No matter what concept the movie goes with, it'll have to have something to do with one of the series.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:42:11 PM
I could dig a Looney Tunes style.
NOBODY would mind a cartoon. even a nickolodian style "animated series" type would be acceptable.
its real life that we cringe at. the only one who seems to be able to pull it off, is Eddie lebron, because yknow, hes actually PLAYED the games. so he knows what hes doing.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:22:54 AM
Warner Bros. Wanted a Mega Man Movie
According to an old news story from Dark Horizons, a popular Australian movie site, Warner Bros. was trying to obtain the rights to produce a Mega Man feature film.

No doubt, the project fell through as the film hasn't be heard of since. (Thank god)

Get Chris Nolan to do a MegaMan movie, and I'll follow that man into Hell and back!   8D

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 06:14:11 PM
I'd have to respectfully disagree with that.  I think The Dark Knight's depiction of the Joker outright sucked, and that says to me that Nolan can't merge humerous/light-hearted elements into an otherwise serious story/character.  With the possible exception of the X-series, that's not a trait you'd want in a MegaMan movie.

There's no substitute for passion for the project, so I don't think Eddie Lebron should be overlooked.  But he's also unproven, so I don't consider him the holy grail either.  If I had to pick somebody well-established, it'd be Rob Cohen.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:33 PM
I'm afraid that any live-action Megaman movie (with the exception of Mr. Lebron's, hopefully) would be dumped in the same group as Super Mario Bros., Resident Evil, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, and pretty much every other video game movie to date: "Examples of Why Video Game Movies Suck." (Though I genuinely enjoyed SMB...)

I think the real problem is, above characterization and story issues, Americanitis, and special effect failure, that it simply couldn't make the jump from one media to another. (Remember the American Fist of the North Star movie?) Even if it had many great points, and was a decent movie in its own right, some things in the games just wouldn't work on film. And even if they did their best, the fans would still complain (that's just annoying, though; I'm not sure how well our opinions would influence those of the general public).

As for an animated movie--that has better chances, but even then, it could fall victim to "It's animation so it must be for kids!" (die in a fire. arg.) which could result in a relapse of Upon a Star. Or it could be CGI. I've come to despise CGI for all but killing off traditional animation and falling into a spate of "cure cartoon animals cracking toilet jokes", but I digress.

Really, it would all depend. With MNS on board, though, it'd probably suck. (I guess. Did he start making films like The Happening back in 2003?)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:55:43 PM
Hey, remember that astro boy movie coming out. that looks rather promising.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 12:18:07 AM
I think The Dark Knight's depiction of the Joker outright sucked, and that says to me that Nolan can't merge humerous/light-hearted elements into an otherwise serious story/character. 

Wow...okay, um...to each his own I guess.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 05:53:04 AM
(Though I genuinely enjoyed SMB...)
I got it worse.  I genuinely enjoyed Street Fighter.

QUICK!  CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:28 AM
I got it worse.  I genuinely enjoyed Street Fighter.

QUICK!  CHANGE THE CHANNEL!

I don't think that's bad actually. Those are the kind of movies that you enjoy for all the wrong reasons (I'm guilty of this too).

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 06:59:24 AM
Please.  Those two movies are chump change compared to some of the horrors I've tortured my sexcellent chess club brain with.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 07:17:54 AM
For some reason I'm picturing you with an underwear collection in your room, and plugging a space ship hull breach with your butt.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 07:28:20 AM
I decided to dig through the Satellite Of Love down to Earth.

Offline Sapphire✧9

• ネビュラ★ブラック
  • Neo Arcadian
  • An Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 08:51:17 PM
I'm afraid that any live-action Megaman movie (with the exception of Mr. Lebron's, hopefully) would be dumped in the same group as Super Mario Bros., Resident Evil, Double Dragon, Street Fighter, and pretty much every other video game movie to date: "Examples of Why Video Game Movies Suck." (Though I genuinely enjoyed SMB...)

I think the real problem is, above characterization and story issues, Americanitis, and special effect failure, that it simply couldn't make the jump from one media to another. (Remember the American Fist of the North Star movie?) Even if it had many great points, and was a decent movie in its own right, some things in the games just wouldn't work on film. And even if they did their best, the fans would still complain (that's just annoying, though; I'm not sure how well our opinions would influence those of the general public).

As for an animated movie--that has better chances, but even then, it could fall victim to "It's animation so it must be for kids!" (die in a fire. arg.) which could result in a relapse of Upon a Star. Or it could be CGI. I've come to despise CGI for all but killing off traditional animation and falling into a spate of "cure cartoon animals cracking toilet jokes", but I digress.

Really, it would all depend. With MNS on board, though, it'd probably suck. (I guess. Did he start making films like The Happening back in 2003?)

Ok, ok. just wait a minute here. Resident Evil movie is bad ? You've got to be kidding me. You seriously need to re-watch all movie series and play the games again. The movies just rock'd.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 02:56:24 AM
Ok, ok. just wait a minute here. Resident Evil movie is bad ? You've got to be kidding me. You seriously need to re-watch all movie series and play the games again. The movies just rock'd.

That's how most people I've come across seem to view it, sorry. (Or at least in terms of adaptation decay.)

Bluenose appeasement: At least it's loads better than anything Uwe Boll "films". (And now I'll get yelled at by the "He's so awful he's great" crowd...)

Offline TheMogX

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 07:12:13 AM
Well a Megaman Movie sounds great when a real fan gets to imagine and play it on his head.
But pretty much japanese video games movies made in to movies by western producer, it's pretty much a fail. Remenber Super Mario brothers movie. X_x