Falsely Accused

Psycho Yuffie · 11981

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
on: September 09, 2009, 02:45:44 AM
Today while I was at school, my parents got a call from our telephone company saying that we were illegally file sharing Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. We were ordered to cease this immediately. Problem is that I've never downloaded or shared this book or movie. If they were talking about the book, I own it, so why would I download it illegally? If they were talking about the movie, while I thought about buying it, I've never thought about downloading it. Harry Potter, to me personally, is one of those sacred things that I won't smudge with illegal downloading. I guess this is why I feel so insulted about it.

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:47:44 AM
Prank call maybe?

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 02:50:54 AM
Prank call maybe?

Yeah, must be them.. or  maybe some REALLY paranoid workers.. What program were you using?

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 02:53:14 AM
Prank call maybe?
Prank callers? Are there prank callers that do this?
Yeah, must be them.. or  maybe some REALLY paranoid workers.. What program were you using?
None. Like I said, I never downloaded or shared the book or the movie.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 02:56:20 AM
Prank callers? Are there prank callers that do this?

You doubt it? Are you even sure it really was the telephone company?

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 02:57:47 AM
You doubt it? Are you even sure it really was the telephone company?
Not really, honestly. Like I said, it was my parents who answered the phone, not me. I'm going to call there tomorrow morning to make sure. If it was them, they're going to get a call they won't forget, though.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:00:26 AM

Prank callers? Are there prank callers that do this? None. Like I said, I never downloaded or shared the book or the movie.

Maybe, if they are paranoid enough enough to think that you are using file sharing... maybe.

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:02:59 AM
Maybe, if they are paranoid enough enough to think that you are using file sharing... maybe.
So they make up something random someone could be downloading, if they suspect someone is participating in illegal file sharing?

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:05:15 AM
I don't know if that's how it works.. usually downloading like that blips under the radar. Plus the paranoid seem to get nervous easier and quicker.. Must've been that or a "prank".

Offline Sky Child

• urine jokes
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 03:10:39 AM
Call them back and tell them you're going to take over the world.

That'll show them.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:21 AM
I don't know if that's how it works.. usually downloading like that blips under the radar. Plus the paranoid seem to get nervous easier and quicker.. Must've been that or a "prank".
I dunno... If it was something I actually downloaded illegally--if I did such things, yes--then I would be more scared than being falsely accused. That just makes me angry.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 03:39:52 AM
Who knows, it might have rather been a miscall hopefully, people seem to take these kind of things rather serious nowadays.. still did back in the day too. The Law can be so confusing sometimes.. o-O

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:04 AM
My ISP got an email complaining about us uploading some Harry Potter GBA game. Not sure how, 'cause I know I didn't do it, my brother hates everything related to Harry Potter, and I don't think my parents know what emulation is.

There's just something about HP I guess.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 03:46:49 AM
My ISP got an email complaining about us uploading some Harry Potter GBA game. Not sure how, 'cause I know I didn't do it, my brother hates everything related to Harry Potter, and I don't think my parents know what emulation is.

There's just something about HP I guess.
Half the problem with all of this IP tracking to illegal file sharing is that most of the time people are intentionally displaying false IPs. So innocent people get these calls, emails, and letters in the mail, and most of the time they don't even know what they're being accused of. Most people don't even know what a torrent is.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 03:48:28 AM
I got a call about file sharing too.

And then I laughed, because I was torrenting like thirty files when I got the call.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 03:51:55 AM
There's only one logical way to settle this. 

What we need to do is see if Nodo weighs the same as a duck.  If she does, then that explains everything.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 03:57:47 AM
What Harruhy and PB said really is what it comes down to. They can say I was downloading Mass Effect--despite that I own it--or Chicken's Revenge III: Into the Deep Fryer and it would weight the same. Despite one being completely made up, it doesn't change anything. They literally can't prove anything.

Torrents are typically undetected on the ISP end because the parts are usually being downloaded are usually too small to be noticed. I'm not saying it's impossible to trace a torrent because it isn't, but to be able to trace a single torrent can be hard just on the ISP-side.

And if they say I was downloading this file off a website, I'll just laugh--mostly because you can't file share off a website. Well, you can, if you were the one who uploaded it.

Offline Tickle Buffalo

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:47 AM
Torrents are typically undetected on the ISP end because the parts are usually being downloaded are usually too small to be noticed.

Download torrent.
Run torrent.
Copy IP list.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 04:04:15 AM
Download torrent.
Run torrent.
Copy IP list.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED
I was talking about ISP tracing. Like I said, however, those IPs aren't always real. One of my friends has a fake Chinese IP and no matter what tracing technique people try, he always shows up somewhere in China. This IP is even displayed in his torrents.

Offline Bag of Magic Food

• Neo Arcadian
  • Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 10:04:47 AM
I remember a site that shows speedruns of videogames got an e-mail saying they were illegally sharing the movie "Speed".  Because the filenames of the videos contain the word "speed" as part of "speedrun", get it?  So I think sometimes these agencies aren't checking very carefully to see if the files are actual copyrighted content; they just look for big movie files with certain key words in them and send off warnings automatically.

Even still, maybe I should consider not downloading anything Harry Potter-related for a while...

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 04:53:34 PM
I remember a site that shows speedruns of videogames got an e-mail saying they were illegally sharing the movie "Speed".  Because the filenames of the videos contain the word "speed" as part of "speedrun", get it?  So I think sometimes these agencies aren't checking very carefully to see if the files are actual copyrighted content; they just look for big movie files with certain key words in them and send off warnings automatically.

Even still, maybe I should consider not downloading anything Harry Potter-related for a while...
Wait, wait... Could this whole thing be about my Harry Potter fanfiction? Because I am writing one and I did send it to people to read.

Posted on: September 09, 2009, 07:16:15 AM
Just give you all an update, I did call my telephone company about this. It wasn't actually them who called, it was some kind of company that notifies people when the government detects their IP on illegal file downloads. According to this government agency, my IP was detected downloading eBooks of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I told them that I owned physical copies of these books and I would never have any need to download them. They told me that they'll believe me, but if they detect my IP again, I'll be in trouble. Problem is, it wasn't me who downloaded those torrents to begin with, so what can I do to protect myself?

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 04:59:24 PM
I think it could be anyone in your neighborhood. Does everyone in your neighborhood share the same internet provider? And do you all have dynamic IP addresses? The first few numbers are always the same in your neighborhood area, but the last number is different for every device that has internet access (PC, laptop, Wii, PSP, and so on). And if it's dynamic addresses, it changes the number every now and then. o.o

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 05:02:19 PM
Legal action? :P

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Psycho Yuffie

• Neo Arcadian
  • Pffft!
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 05:13:21 PM
I think it could be anyone in your neighborhood. Does everyone in your neighborhood share the same internet provider? And do you all have dynamic IP addresses? The first few numbers are always the same in your neighborhood area, but the last number is different for every device that has internet access (PC, laptop, Wii, PSP, and so on). And if it's dynamic addresses, it changes the number every now and then. o.o
I think the last numbers in my IP do change every now and then. Plus, the guy said, "There's only one IP that exists in the world that matches your IP." Which everyone here should know isn't true. Like I said earlier, someone could unknowingly used my IP to mask theirs to download things. The chances of that are really low, but it could have happened. They could have just used a random United States IP and it happened to be mine. Like I said, one of my friends does this all the time.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 05:24:30 PM
If someone has a laptop, they could have latched onto your Ip from outside.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.