Finally! Megaman's Soccer ending has been found!

ReyVGM · 9184

Offline ReyVGM

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
on: August 09, 2011, 11:33:08 PM
Finally, after years of (a very select few) Megaman fans wondering if Megaman's Soccer really had an ending, after finding the ending music and credits text inside the ROM, after we've all given up hope of seeing the actual ending, comes Kung Fu Furby with a cheat that lets you trigger the ending.

Please note that since the game was coded poorly, there's no official way to trigger the ending. But it was indeed coded in, and use this method found by Kung Fu Furby to see it yourself:

Enter these cheats in your emulator
81829BEE
81829CE0
Turn on the game. Select Tournament, then keep pressing Start to begin the game. You will get the ending instead of the opening.

Unfortunately, the credits (which you can see by opening the ROM in a hex editor) are not found on this ending. I don't know if maybe another game mode gives you the credits or or if there's really no way to trigger it. I'll wait until Kung Fu Furby digs a bit deeper.

Here's a video of the ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeqp3l2QUnI

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:40:48 PM
Cool. :) And here I was thinking they only ever made the credits (which also went unused).

Offline slayer

• War-Pig
  • Robot Master
  • Mavericks are for pussies...real men kill Aliens
    • View Profile
    • MY fan thingys , help me overcome my fear to show my draws please
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:52:30 AM
uuuuhhhh... and that`s it? wily escapes? (again, big suprise) lol how many years i wasted playing this game for this? LOL -u-'

Offline ReyVGM

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 04:34:54 AM
Well, I think the fact that it has been found is bigger than whatever the ending was going to be.

From the same person that found the code, he found another cutscene involving protoman, here's the code:
81829BCF
81829CDA

Original topic with lots of codes on how to access other stuff:
http://gshi.org/vb/threads/5541-An-ending-for-Mega-Man-s-Soccer!

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 05:34:29 AM
The Protoman cutscene would have been a nice addition.  Was he one of the Wily fortress bosses in the game? 

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 02:57:11 PM
Huh, so it did have one after all.

Are those sprites used anywhere else in the game? It's like a Wily Wars style sprite for everyone. Needs a rip.

I'm now half expecting Megaman Soccer Complete Works with all the scenes and stuff hacked back in.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 06:54:25 PM
I expect a full sports festival

Offline ReyVGM

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:59:44 AM
Aaaaand now the credits have been found! Probably the last secret this game has.

JLukas has managed to make a code that enables you to see the staff roll. It is not found during the ending as previously thought, but in the password screen. JLukas says that apparently the Staff Roll can be found by normal means, but the method to access it is unknown. I guess one probably has to enter a special password or maybe a button code to enable it.

In the meantime, to see the Staff Roll, just input this Game Genie code ( DDC8-3DDC ) and then enter the password screen.

Viddy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I37p1cINu4

Offline ReyVGM

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 06:51:49 PM
The full ending has finally been uncovered by JLucas and Kung Fu Furby:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMG_V1yELjo[/youtube]

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 01:59:25 AM
Look like I was wrong in my guess that Protoman's cutscene was the intro to his "battle".  They sort sort of ... stuck it in there, didn't they?  For all the info we're given MM just stands there and dies when Skull Castle blows up and Protoman's mourning him while lookimng at the sunset after making his own escape.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 03:16:13 AM
Depressing as hell, man. :(

It reminds me of the ending of MM3, where that image of Proto in the sky led some to believe he died somehow.

Offline johnboy3434

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 03:03:42 AM
So... Mega Man was so damn good at soccer that it caused the arena to spontaneously self-destruct? What could have possibly triggered that explosion?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 04:43:38 AM
well playing soccer inside a laboratory likely to be filled with lots of sensitive machinery would probably do that.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:05:53 AM
Maybe Wily triggered a self destruct like he did in MM4 and 5.  But it's wierd that MM just stands there as Wily runs away.  Maybe if they animated it so MM is looking the other way, but he's just crouching as Wily runs off.  Wily's an old man and MM is a robot ... how can Wily get away on foot?

I've gotta say ... even though I like the Protoman moment and some of the music, this has gotta be one of the worst endings in the series.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 01:23:48 PM
Has anyone considered that the ending was removed for a reason? It's entirely possible it's far from finished.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 07:19:36 PM
It probably is unfinished, but that won't stop me from commenting on it. 

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 07:23:18 PM
Has anyone considered that the ending was removed for a reason? It's entirely possible it's far from finished.
Unfinished ending is better than no ending.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline slayer

• War-Pig
  • Robot Master
  • Mavericks are for pussies...real men kill Aliens
    • View Profile
    • MY fan thingys , help me overcome my fear to show my draws please
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 06:16:08 AM
Unfinished ending is better than no ending.
mmmm..... good point XD

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 12:51:23 PM
It's just silly to directly compare something unfinished with something that is finished instead.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:40:07 PM
this has gotta be one of the worst endings in the series.

And what exactly was it that you were expecting from a nonsensical offshoot game about Megaman fighting Wily in a soccer tournament?

On top of that, it is unreleased. Probably for a reason, you know, like being unfinished and all.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 04:55:23 AM
And what exactly was it that you were expecting from a nonsensical offshoot game about Megaman fighting Wily in a soccer tournament?

Well, a better sprited Wily, for one. Just about everything in the entire game, unused stuff and all, is sprited very well save for Wily at the very end.  I'd cut them some slack on the terrible Wily sprite if it weren't for that beautifully done Protoman scene that comes right after.  

Edit: And, seeing as Megaman Soccer itself is unfinished, it seems entirely fair to criticize it's intended, but unused, ending.  If you feel like pointing out it's virtues feel free.  

Edit #2: And please don't tell me what I get to like and dislike.  I dislike this ending.  Unused or not.  

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 10:27:26 AM
I am still surprised noone has made a Megaman soccer fangame yet

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 03:46:24 PM
I'm didn't state what you get to like or dislike, but that doesn't make your reasons any less arbitrary and shallow.

Knockout Mondays

WIP Wednesdays

Weekend Game Hangout

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 06:57:51 PM
I'm didn't state what you get to like or dislike, but that doesn't make your reasons any less arbitrary and shallow.
I don't like Proto's scene being placed randomly.  I don't like the sprite on Wily.  I don't like that MM just crouches there as the old man runs off.  I don't like how generic it is.  And I don't like Proto's scene being at the end because Proto has nothing to do with the game other than being a player in it; there's no leadup to it at all.  Not arbitrary, not shallow.

You're adding nothing beyond "well, it's unused" which seems to mean it's beyond criticism.  So yeah, you're just telling me what to like or dislike.  And screw that nonsense.  I don't have to love this ending to pieces.  I shouldn't have to argue my right to dislike it.   

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:58 PM
Being unfinished means you should cut it some slack and not compare it to the other endings. As an unfinished product of course it will have issues. The finished version would no doubt have been different, and addressed your problems.