Do RPGs need complex plots?

Waifu · 10964

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
on: May 06, 2010, 12:20:27 AM
Most RPGs I know of are at there core are ‘save the world’ arcs where you have to get such and such Macguffin to defeat some evil overlord dude or some cosmic horror but there is also some like Xenogears, Xenosaga and Shin Tegami Tensei where the plot is so complex you need to play all three games to figure it out or you will get lost. While mosts JRPGs and WRPGs have a huge backstory in from of them, there are games like Earthbound and Paper Mario that show yoiu don’t necessarly need a complex storyline to be a fun game. My question to the RPG fandom is, do RPGs really need complicated plots to be good games?

Offline Dantonumanoa Ongdolota Amycronicon

• Unwholesome, unsavory and unintelligible
  • Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:28 AM
Depends on the game, I suppose. You could make it discrete plots with the same characters, or you could make it a really long one superimposed over a course of two or three games if the series proves to be a big hit.

I put on my [twin slasher] face.

I also go by Spectro D., Idylleaus, Malabar, and Dumb-bit Twofuck.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:29:51 AM
You kinda would have to define "complex", seeings how even the supposed simple storylines tend to have a twist or two (and then you have games such as MegaMan which are simple unto themselves but get extremely complex when tying them all together; so in light of that how does one classify Command Mission?).

On the whole I'd say no, but it does help.  It kinda depends on how the gameplay and combat system go.  There's something to be said for a nice, epic story.  But there are other ways of selling an RPG, certainly.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:31 AM
Generally I'd say... no.

The Mario RPGs prove this. They're extremely light on story but so much fun. High replay value too.

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 12:35:43 AM
Complex storylines aren't a necessity. If anything, the complexity can take away from the game. If it gets too complicated, then it's likely to lose people's interest.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:35 AM
Complex storylines aren't a necessity. If anything, the complexity can take away from the game. If it gets too complicated, then it's likely to lose people's interest.
^QFT

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 12:37:17 AM
Generally I'd say... no.

The Mario RPGs prove this. They're extremely light on story but so much fun. High replay value too.

Same with the linear monster breeding RPGs, while they have the simple plot to kick the evil organization's ass, but it doesn't have a huge complex plot that doesn't require 5+ games to play to understand.

Same with the SRPGs. They can be fun, and the characters are quite loveable (SRW proves this).

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Rayl

• The Missing Piece
  • Resistance Member
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 12:45:24 AM
I think the main factor should be "Is this RPG's story enjoyable?" because it can be as complex as possible but if it's just boring then it means nothing. But since that's not the issue at hand:

Complexity in an RPG story is fine however it can't be pushed too far, like say into Death Note Xanatos Roulette style absurdity, then it just becomes dull and loses any tension it could possibly have had.

Generally though i play RPG's like Skies of Arcadia and the Mario RPG's so i don't really know too much on complex stories in RPG's.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 12:47:55 AM
Well it kinda depends on the series. A game with more serious story-telling like Xenogears/Xenosaga (even though I've never played any of the Xeno games before) would probably need a complex storyline that would continue onto a another game until it reaches its end, but then there are some games like Mario and Earthbound/Mother where the storyline should be more fun, even though Earthbound has some tragic elements. Like right now I'm playing Super Mario RPG on my Wii and I find myself enjoying the game itself more over the story.

[spoiler=Mother 3 Spoiler](i.e. the death of Lucas' mother)[/spoiler]
But if we're talking about a game's storyline expanding over two or more games, I've yet to played that many games that does that. Before Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, the original Tales of Symphonia had kinda of a complex story (my memory of the game's story is fuzzy since I haven't played it in a long time) but it didn't go onto another game until the sequel was made. So really, to me, it all depends on the series itself.

Offline borockman

• Super avatar painter in training
  • Legendary Hero
  • DONALD ANGRY! DONALD SMASH!!
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:43:17 AM
I'd say no too, though I always appreciate games like Star Ocean series for the depth of dictionary entries. I could waste hours reading it.

Proud member of Indigo tribe!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 04:24:08 AM
Not at all, to be honest, complex plots turn me away from RPG's, thats why I've never played Final Fantasy of any sort. Because I'd rather play Chrono Trigger (Which despite its length is fun enough.) and the DS Geass game, not to forget the Mario RPG's.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:27:44 AM
Oddly enough, even though I know the story to the FF games I have played, I don't play them for that. I play them for the battle systems that invariably change from game to game.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 04:36:49 AM
I'd say no too, though I always appreciate games like Star Ocean series for the depth of dictionary entries. I could waste hours reading it.
oh my god are you me
136 hours on my file for SOTET because of the [tornado fang]ing dictionary entries. I really enjoy how they're written, too. It mocks everyone.

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 05:39:33 AM
Well, the main reason I read it is to remove the green text really. :D

and I only skim read the techno babble entries, so I might not be as hardcore as you. XD

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 05:46:12 AM
YES ALL RPGS NEED COMPLICATED PLOTS, SO YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO PONDER WHILE YOU LEVEL UP.

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 06, 2010, 05:50:31 AM
Well, the main reason I read it is to remove the green text really. :D

and I only skim read the techno babble entries, so I might not be as hardcore as you. XD
oh my god he is me

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #16 on: May 06, 2010, 05:53:26 AM
So Nova is me, and Spectro is borock... wow.

RPM: Where Alternate Selves Meet

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010, 06:23:18 AM
Spectro, are you by chance a type of person who hate to see "new" icon in any RPG's menu?

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 06:33:53 AM
Spectro, are you by chance a type of person who hate to see "new" icon in any RPG's menu?
Yes.
This drove me up the wall and through the ceiling in KHII.

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:09 AM
To think I found someone who shares my habit here. *high five*

But I'm sure we're not the only one, right!
....right?

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 06:36:31 AM
It drives me up the wall anywhere... even here! :P

• Neo Arcadian
  • o fuk my k/d ratio
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 06:38:06 AM
Incidentally, I keep clicking on the "MARK ALL MESSAGES AS READ" button because there is no option to ax out the new posts in each board.

Offline borockman

• Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 06:41:11 AM
Now that's a bit extreme, but I'll always try to remove the new symbol wherever I can.

Yes, even with the dreaded "click thread and then exit without seeing the content." method.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 06:43:41 AM
That's dreaded? :(

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 07:39:06 AM
I think RPG's are fine without complex plots. I also think RPG's are fine with complex plots, to an extent. There have been almost none that have made me wringe in incomprehensibility . I'm fine with saving the world, I've done it atleast a thousand times already, what's a thousand more? As long as the game presents itself in a entertaining and engaging manner, I think I would be fine with almost no plot. I bet most of you would agree with me if you're a fan of classic megaman, or if you can remember playing some of the third, second, heck even first generation of consoles.

Thankfully though, there are some games that provide us with a plot that is complicated, but is fun to speculate about with other people. It would be a bit ho-hum if there were a world of games with little or no plot, and it would also be a labyrinth-like world if all games needed a 10-page manual to tell the basic story, with 3+ games to figure out the whole story.

Not at all, to be honest, complex plots turn me away from RPG's, thats why I've never played Final Fantasy of any sort. Because I'd rather play Chrono Trigger (Which despite its length is fun enough.) and the DS Geass game, not to forget the Mario RPG's.

I think FF5 and Final Fantasy Mystic Quest would be enjoyable for you then. To be honest, there's not quite as much story in 5 as there is in 4 and 6. It's not really complicated.

Mystic Quest's overworld and battle system is different from the rest.

I think if you can understand Code Geass's story, you'd be fine with these two. Probably with FF3 too. 3's story isn't really complicated either, but it does have its frustrating moments, being that it's a Famicom-era game.