Revamped version of "Rockman X1" to appear on iOS units (iphone/ipad)!

VixyNyan · 30568

Offline Blackhook

• Dropper of ships
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
*spits and walks away in disgust*

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Here's LBD's review on SlideToPlay. Basically, it's playable, but definitely doesn't live up to the original game.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
it looks... dunno, the framerate seems... bad, or does X just animate real slow?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Capcom seems to have cut out half of the animation frames for some reason.

Probably so they only had to do half the work.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Yeeeeeep. I pretty much saw it coming, as Capcom is beginning to treat Mega Man as Namco as to the Tales series, as both don't see the fanbase out of the JAP branch anymore.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
So just saw the trailer and read the review...

Wow, Capcom...just Wow.

I can't help but laugh. It's a heart broken laugh, but it's still a laugh.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
So concerning this port, and some comments at TMMN and PRC, I ask you: How does not wanting to settle for half-assed "efforts" make us ungrateful, entitled twats?

(Though I suspect that one guy who told me to "grow up" and take what gets flung at me did so primarily because I DARED to have a different opinion.)

Offline ST Jestah

• Procastinator Extraordinair
  • Neo Arcadian
  • Just chilling in the Nexus.
    • View Profile
(Though I suspect that one guy who told me to "grow up" and take what gets flung at me did so primarily because I DARED to have a different opinion.)
That or he's just really in denial.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
That or he's just really in denial.

Possibly. I looked at his "review" of the port more closely (I was addressing someone else and he butted in and told me to grow up):

[spoiler]
If you're a whiner, you can just skip this. If you're curious, read on.

I had no more expectation for this than with MM 2, and just got it anyway to support the franchise. I was really impressed!

First, the controls are actually very playable! Yes, that's correct! Of course you can dash, and it's not any goofy double tap. Just press down. That's it. Sounds inelegant? In practice, it's fantastic. YOU CAN DASH JUMP AWAY FROM WALLS. Yep. wall kicks work like you'd expect, but you auto stick to walls to slide down. Just press down and jump and there you go.

Dead easy. Sven was actually not BSing anyone. The controls are remarkably easy and you can do anything you could with your SNES controller. It's obviously not as tight as the controller, but unlike MM2 where the actions don't work like you expect them to and are hard to reach, MMX lets you change where your buttons are and work just like you expect them to. The only flaw where the controls aren't as tight as on a controller is that sometimes your fingers naturally slide away from the button surface, but theres no getting away from that. In all other regards I'm amazed to report that controlling X is very easy and there's not really anything you cant don't on console.

The graphics look perfect when on screen. The proportions are a bit bigger, but you hardly notice. the screenshots we've all seen were rather large, and it's easy to fall into the trap of judging by them. Take any picture and blow it up 10x and tell me how good a piece of it looks.

The achievements are fun, if a bit easy. Most of them can be gotten in a single play through, but, most of the intro stage ones will be brutal to get, and some like beat the game without damage will be too.

The soundtrack fits perfectly. Other than the MHX boss icons everything feels just right. Everything looks so right that those boss icons actually just look out of place. And the X icons do get their own use eventually too.

4.99 is high for any App, but still, it's well worth it considering what you get. A well polished X on the go, that might not handle exactly as preferred at times, but well enough by far to enjoy a lot!
[/spoiler]

tl;dr No mention of its legitimate problems (well, apart from your fingers occasionally sliding off the screen), just blind gushing.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I don't know if the appropiate reaction at this moment should be laughing or crying.

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Wow. This looks like a Flash Game, a bad one.

You think Capcom would want to make a decent effort, but its obvious they don't care anymore, Mixing MMX designs with MHX Mugshots, lovely. Text is some boring font that is very amateur looking, Lifebar looks like [parasitic bomb], lazy asses can just buy their way to winning, thats great.

They just don't care. Its sad to see Capcom doing so little to try and bring their mascot out of relative obscurity.

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
I don't know if the appropiate reaction at this moment should be laughing or crying.

Gonna go with both. This [parasitic bomb] is borderline offensive and you have to be beyond blind to sugar coat it.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I just hope that this wasn't was Sven was talking about.

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
I just hope that this wasn't was Sven was talking about.

You mean the "future plans for the franchise" thing? Well, it could still be about this guy

on this game

Gonna go with both. This [parasitic bomb] is borderline offensive and you have to be beyond blind to sugar coat it.

2011 is such a sad year for MM fans, isn't it? :(

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Guess what? There's more than one idiot on PRC blindly defending the port!

[spoiler]Someone else:
Jesus christ, [name] and [name]. There comes a time where fans have to stop for a second and see the [parasitic bomb] they're being handed. This port of Mega Man X is ridiculous. Cool, some smoothed out, updated graphics. This damn thing shouldn't exist as it is a disgrace, pure and simple. We should have MHX2 and MHX3 by now as Role said. We should have some damn good games coming out. Instead Legends 3 gets cancelled and [parasitic bomb] like this slides right on through. They could have made this port better, but they didn't. Again, Sonic CD is a prime example. What. Are. They. Thinking?

Idiot:
[name], you and everyone else is pissed off over mostly-petty details on an otherwise very minor and harmless mobile port of an old SNES game which was obviously intended to have several differences from the original. You must not realize how ridiculous your nerd rage is.

If you were any sort of reasonable person, you'd see that it should be PERFECTLY acceptable that this release doesn't appeal to you (it likely wasn't designed to in the 1st place). Not everything has to appeal to the hardcore long-time fanbase. Whether Capcom should be doing something other than this game is an argument that only takes away the merit of the game in your self-entitled reasoning. If you don't care for the game, that's fine. You could just as easily vote with your wallet, move on and be as indiferent to it as you want. That way you don't harm the fanbase, you aren't disconsiderate towards the people who might like this port (likely intended to facilitate X1 to a new player base for the 1st time, which is a GOOD thing), and doesn't make you personally look like a whiny little kid.

Try representing your fanbase in a form other than the childish, self-entitled ingrate you've proven to be just about every time you post on this blog.
[/spoiler]

I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to start a proxy argument, but I think that second quote perfectly captures the "be grateful for getting shafted or you're a whiny self-entitled prick" mentality that's come up recently. Nobody's allowed to be angry AT ALL, for ANY REASON, and it's just as frustrating as Capcom's empty promises and blatant contradictions.

My only comfort would be that Sven wouldn't call us self-entitled over this...but knowing that he was recently a dick to the MM fans on more than one occasion, it's only a matter of time.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Guess what? There's more than one idiot on PRC blindly defending the port!

[spoiler]Someone else:
Idiot:[/spoiler]

I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to start a proxy argument, but I think that second quote perfectly captures the "be grateful for getting shafted or you're a whiny self-entitled prick" mentality that's come up recently. Nobody's allowed to be angry AT ALL, for ANY REASON, and it's just as frustrating as Capcom's empty promises and blatant contradictions.

My only comfort would be that Sven wouldn't call us self-entitled over this...but knowing that he was recently a dick to the MM fans on more than one occasion, it's only a matter of time.

So, the "Someone else" was saying Sonic CD was a prime example of a port/remake/whatever done right, correct?

Of course they are, because that is an example of a remake/port/whatever done right, that was Sega being cool with its fans, allowing a fan to remake their game with an engine that he developed, and essentially just providing the materials necessary, in the end we got an amazing remake.

Now, look at this piece of [parasitic bomb]. Capcom decided to do what Sega could've done with Sonic CD, just gave it a shitty port that actually makes the game worse, buffing the graphics and nothing more, making a barely playable monstrosity because they didn't want to do anything that requires effort.

Look at MMX: Corrupted, even though its a fangame, it appears to already look and feel like a Megaman X game, hell, I haven't been following it recently but from what I did see its more of a Megaman X game than this shitty port is, and its not like it was made in some proprietary engine like the Retro Engine for Sonic CD, no, its just Flash (Am I correct on this? Please correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think I know all the facts.). The gameplay in the Port looks choppy, the screen is way too zoomed in, there are CUT TO BLACK SCREEN TRANSITIONS, SOMETHING NO MEGAMAN GAME HAS EVER HAD, Other than X and Zero getting slightly modified graphics the rest is just put through a shitty filter, Megaman is too large and the screen is too small.

Y'know, I'm beginning to think Capcom should just do what Sega did and Commission JKB to handle remakes of their games, since they apparently can't do it themselves.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
The problem most people have with the fanbase getting angry is that well they tend to get angry at every little thing MegaMan related now, from the smallest little fun poster in UMvC3 to the fact that you have to buy upgrades in a somewhat decent but otherwise lackluster port of the classic X game. It's a no-win scenario, a Kobiyashi Maru if you will.

The pessimistic take every missed opportunity, possible gaffe, and little nitpick and blow it out of proportion to the point where they think a business is going out of their way to [acid burst] off their customers when more or less it's either just stupidity, bad timing, or actual business decisions. The optimistic think that as long as we keep getting fed comics, nostalgic ports like this game, and other minor cameos and whatever, that not only is the franchise okay but it'll be back in no time and quite frankly they are fooling themselves.

In the grand scheme of things, this iPod/Pad port wasn't doing anything for the fanbase or franchise either way. It's a game the fanbase has played countless times whether by playing the original SNES Cart, playing it from the X collection, or by playing the MHX PSP game. The iPod/iPad crowd are not and were not going out to purchase older MegaMan games of any kind whether or not this game was good or not, or playable or not. Even if this was a fantastic port, people in the fanbase would still be angry at the fact that we're not getting any new MM games, but just rehashes of old ones. This game could've been polished gold and people would still be upset, which is what gets people who get upset at the fanbase getting upset...upset, because as of right now there really is no satisfying people. What the upset about upset people people don't really grasp is that this is Capcom's fault for the way they treated people.

Again, it's a Kobiyashi Maru situation. LoL, we'll see if I can change the conditions of the test though in 2012.

Offline Karai

• with RICE
  • B-Class Hunter
  • (not) Missing in Action
    • View Profile
    • My stuff & HI SKORS
Oh, look - mentioned on TechCrunch
Who knows, maybe even that kind of reaching to the masses is the way to go.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
*long post*

In other terms, it's becoming another Sonic the Hedgehog fandom pre-colors. Though, the Kobiyashi Scenario can be cheated. Let's see ow 2012. (ib4 end of the world scenario)

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Kieran

• He's just a
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
I heard somewhere that this isn't even a port of the original game, but rather a port of an older cellphone port.  Which for all intents and purposes looks as though it could be true.

The Other Side
http://www.crowdedstreet.net
irc.esper.net #theotherside

Commander Shepard: *stares blankly at a video of scantily clad asari dancers* ...What kind of hotel is this?
Liara T'Soni: It is a luxury resort with an... exotic edge.  Azure is slang for a part of the asari body in some places on Illium.
Shepard: Where?
Liara: The lower reaches, near the bottom.
Shepard: I meant, "where on the asari body?"
Liara: So did I.

Offline Raijin

• Cyberelf
  • What?
    • View Profile
Everyone should just do themselves a favor and buy the original on the SNES, or the Wii if they must. Even the PSP remake is better for those who want portability. There is absolutely no excuse to waste... anything really, on this [acid burst] poor attempt of a cashcow. Nothing properly justifies this thing even existing at all.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Wow. This looks like a Flash Game, a bad one.
Pretty much my reaction, especially with the whole screen transition thing and the enemies dropping out of the sky.  I was hoping the framerate was a YouTube capture issue, but I don't think that's the case.  And jeez, the whole Vile battle/Zero save thing reeks of amateur rush job (not that I don't enjoy an excuse to hear Zero's theme longer, but that's pretty much it).

Look, I don't like iPhone gaming and touch-screen-only controls anymore than the next child-of-80's gaming nerd, and I imagine such a format is in itself a valid excuse for toning down the difficulty quite a few notches.  But even I know that the platform is capable of a more professional presentation than that.  Still, PB has a point; even if this game were good, it wouldn't accomplish much.

As the 100,000 Strong's recent wrap-up stated, this game is a lose-lose situation.  Buy it, and Capcom thinks we're satisfied with lazy [parasitic bomb].  Don't buy it, and it's one more bullet point on their list of reasons why supposedly nobody is interested in the franchise.  Our only hope is that it was such a small investment that Capcom isn't counting on it to make much.  But, given that they've previously refused to release crap that they had already finished, I'm not sure I'd bank on that one.

Sven was only a dick because the fans had reached such a boiling point that they would snap over the most nonsensical things, because they were tired of all the [parasitic bomb] they've already had to take.  Most of the X-not-in-UMvC3 rage was pointless and misdirected, but while arguably an invalid complaint in itself (and I WILL argue that it is), it was the symptom of Capcom treating Mega Man like [parasitic bomb] in the broader sense over the course of the year.

In short, the fans had a legitimate point, but they picked the worst possible example, which is only building frustration on both sides.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Sven was only a dick because the fans had reached such a boiling point that they would snap over the most nonsensical things, because they were tired of all the [parasitic bomb] they've already had to take.  Most of the X-not-in-UMvC3 rage was pointless and misdirected, but while arguably an invalid complaint in itself (and I WILL argue that it is), it was the symptom of Capcom treating Mega Man like [parasitic bomb] in the broader sense over the course of the year.

In short, the fans had a legitimate point, but they picked the worst possible example, which is only building frustration on both sides.

Like I said, I feel sorry for the people at Capcom-Unity/Capcom of USA. They deserve absolutely none of the understandable fan-rage at Capcom because they had absolutely nothing to do with it. Hell, if you speak to most of them (which I have with Seth Killian), they are fans like us. They want these games as much as we do, especially for them cause they get to go to cons here in the US and showcase it to us. I talked with S-Kill at PAX East 10 and we talked about how he also wanted a Power Stone 3 cause he was a big fan of it, but knows why in a business sense it is really not profitable.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Exactly, and the staff who work on these games are fans themselves to boot, felt cheated when "that game" was dropped. This was a huge kick in the balls for Capcom (and to an extent the fans themselves, and other companies that wanted to pitch in). It will most likely be that Capcom will look at this game's sales in japan and nothing else, doesn't help at all though that the fanbase is on the brink of being another Sonic Fanbase apparently.

Offline Superjustinbros

• It's me.
  • Resistance Member
  • Something
    • View Profile
    • Super Justin: The Blog
I must get this.