The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 728401

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4875 on: February 26, 2016, 02:59:33 AM
Yeah, it's a real shame. I'd be all over a Virtual Console release, that's for sure.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4876 on: February 26, 2016, 03:06:45 AM
Man, VC release. Now that would be awesome.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4877 on: February 27, 2016, 09:20:59 AM
So uhh

Fire Emblem is... Fire Emblem. Gonna do Nohr first, probably gonna take my sweet time.

Hyrule Warriors Legends... playing it on a US 3DS before launch, game's in English still though. Runs pretty good considering, graphics look akin to PSX/early PS2 mostly so it can actually play like a Mousou game properly. I imagine I'll have to get through the entire original campaign before I can get to the Wind Waker stuff though.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #4878 on: February 28, 2016, 09:37:23 PM
Hey fam, guess what?

[spoiler]Playing my newly received Chrono Trigger on my DS. 8D[/spoiler]

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4879 on: March 01, 2016, 07:18:29 PM
Conquered the Mario rank in Star Fox 2.

SF2 info is so scarce that there's a whole set of collectables in this game (Pepper Coins) that no one knows what are for. So I was watching an Expert speedrun the other day and, what the hell, this guy's final rank was a shiny golden Mario face instead of a big shooting star. With a little digging through other YT videos I learned that if you score over 250K points in a perfect run (0% Corneria damage, no deaths), you get the Mario rank.

Truthfully, it's not that much harder than simply getting 0%. My previous high score was 226K, which isn't far off. The problem with the Mario rank, however, is doing the whole perfect run even faster since the biggest score bonuses are for beating stages fast (as far as I know, anyway). I wonder if you could hang out inside the levels and defeat as many enemies as possible until you score 250K, but with the map system and whatnot I didn't think that was worth the risk.

Now here's hoping there isn't an even higher Samus rank or something... >_>

This game is so fun. I'm still kinda obsessed with it. I'll come back some other time to grab all the Pepper Coins, even though they're useless.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4880 on: March 05, 2016, 03:47:25 PM
Fire Emblem is... Fire Emblem. Gonna do Nohr first, probably gonna take my sweet time.
I actually joined the "one star review to [sonic slicer] about scalpers" bandwagon on Fates's Special Edition; not something I normally do, but I'm still pissed that it's found nowhere.  Any purchase I make of Fates will be either a ripoff or a consolation prize, so I'm not touching it as long as there are other 3DS games still on my radar.

Yeah, it's a real shame. I'd be all over a Virtual Console release, that's for sure.
Who WOULDN'T be all over that?  Nintendo just won't do it because business reasons.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4881 on: March 05, 2016, 04:31:20 PM
Who knows, with Earthbound Beginnings being official I wouldn't rule out an official Star Fox 2 just yet.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4882 on: March 05, 2016, 04:34:15 PM
Does seem like they are listening recently to fan requests.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #4883 on: March 06, 2016, 03:57:41 PM
Who knows, with Earthbound Beginnings being official I wouldn't rule out an official Star Fox 2 just yet.
Well, it's not impossible, but a notable difference is that Beginnings saw a retail release before, just not in english.  On the other hand, being more dialogue-heavy, you'd THINK Beginnings was more work than SF2 would be.

But then, we haven't seen the original Star Fox on VC yet either, have we?  It seems like before the "classic Arwing" bonus was announced the other day, Nintendo was doing all they could to convince everyone that Star Fox began with 64.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4884 on: March 06, 2016, 05:28:32 PM
Most people in general like to pretend that the original doesn't exist, in my experience. Which is too bad, because people miss out on the awesome soundtrack. Also, it's more challenging than pretty much all the other Star Fox games.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4885 on: March 06, 2016, 07:13:30 PM
Agreed. I'd love the original Star Fox on the VC. Hopefully, with the Classic Arwing Mode in Star Fox Zero, they release it eventually!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4886 on: March 08, 2016, 03:21:34 AM
Agreed. I'd love the original Star Fox on the VC. Hopefully, with the Classic Arwing Mode in Star Fox Zero, they release it eventually!

Wasn't there some issue legal-wise regarding Super Fx games? Its also why Yoshi's Island always comes out as the GBA version.

I actually joined the "one star review to [sonic slicer] about scalpers" bandwagon on Fates's Special Edition; not something I normally do, but I'm still pissed that it's found nowhere.  Any purchase I make of Fates will be either a ripoff or a consolation prize, so I'm not touching it as long as there are other 3DS games still on my radar.

I preordered it. And cancelled because the localization reeks of literal children rewriting the script. I'm playing the game only because I have a modded 3DS. I'll most likely buy the Japanese version but I refuse to support shitty localizations. Same reason i'm avoiding Bravely Second, actually.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4887 on: March 08, 2016, 03:33:36 AM
Yeah depending on the localization of Bravely Second I'll probably decide to get another game for Christmas.  I mean costumes are one thing, and I can honestly not give a [parasitic bomb] since it doesn't affect gameplay or story, but if that thing about the quests not having bad ends was true for the NA/EU I'm going to wait a bit and get the game used for sure, which again I'm still kind of skeptical about due to the only source being a Gamefaqs user thus far and there hasn't been visual evidence to prove this thing either. 

There's other RPGs I can play before I touch Bravely Second, ones I was looking more forward to anyway.  I just hope they don't localize the memes that plauged the Japanese version to an American equivalent too, I don't understand why they thought that was a good idea to over saturated the game with outdated Japanese memes. If that happens that might just ruin the game for me.  Seriously it's sad when censorship just goes too far, and localization if my last fears hold true, for some stupid reason or another.

However even then I still find it more insulting that they took images out of the artbook too.  A [tornado fang]ing artbook, what the hell man?!

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4888 on: March 08, 2016, 04:08:23 AM
At least Fates has an upcoming retranslation mod.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4889 on: March 08, 2016, 04:26:08 AM
At least Fates has an upcoming retranslation mod.

I already am playing the undub version. Even with the crappy US text its so different, effie is cute instead of being "MUSCLES BENCHPRESS AHRHGH"

Bravely Second's artbook thing. Just ugh, even FE kept its artbook intact from my understanding.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #4890 on: March 08, 2016, 03:51:38 PM
If you were one of the three people who got to the Special Edition before the scalpers, sure.

Wasn't there some issue legal-wise regarding Super Fx games? Its also why Yoshi's Island always comes out as the GBA version.
Allegedly.  I had to do a quick search, that explanation is less common than the bogus "Super FX is too hard for Wii to emulate" claims of last gen.

Even if true I don't expect it's something impossible for them to overcome, since we are talking about the cartridge and not the game itself.  Yoshi's Island was remade, obviously, when it came to GBA.  Assuming for the sake of argument that Star Fox would legally require a similar treatment, do you really think that's beyond Nintendo's ability?

Offline Strider Xhaiden

• The Token Brit.
  • Master's Unit
  • Never "Great", just varying degrees of "OK".
    • View Profile
Reply #4891 on: March 08, 2016, 10:31:31 PM
Soul Calibur II - GC Version, and WWE Day of Reckoning 2.

DOR2 has the best soundtrack for a wrestling game, IMO.

My Twitch channel. Random streams during the week.
Currently streaming: Transformers: Devastation

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4892 on: March 11, 2016, 11:34:09 AM
If you were one of the three people who got to the Special Edition before the scalpers, sure.
Allegedly.  I had to do a quick search, that explanation is less common than the bogus "Super FX is too hard for Wii to emulate" claims of last gen.

Even if true I don't expect it's something impossible for them to overcome, since we are talking about the cartridge and not the game itself.  Yoshi's Island was remade, obviously, when it came to GBA.  Assuming for the sake of argument that Star Fox would legally require a similar treatment, do you really think that's beyond Nintendo's ability?
Is it beyond their ability? No.
Is it too much effort for them to care? Most likely. Same reason why they almost never bother with getting import games stateside, too much to translate. Mother 1, Sin and Punishment, Lost Levels are exceptions to that case (only because of pre-existing localizations/etc.) but the fact of the matter is they would rather do a cut and dry port with no changes save the requisite "muh seizues remember denno senshi porygon guize" graphical edits than bother remake Star Fox 1 from scratch or translate old Fire Emblem, Wars series or Mother 3. They clearly feel its not worth their time. (And after treehouse botched Fates I wouldn't want translations of those anyway)

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4893 on: March 11, 2016, 11:39:53 AM
RIP in pepperoni bravely second

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4894 on: March 12, 2016, 12:03:15 AM
Remind me where that pepperoni thing came from?

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4895 on: March 12, 2016, 12:08:06 AM
Not sure of the origins but I like this definition.

rest in pepperoni
Rest In pepperoni is a middle of the herd term used to describe a death, usually on a video game.
The scale goes as such:
RIP-Used by people who post everything cat. YouTube videos, Tweets, everything.
Rest In Peace-Used by casuals. Usually they play Mario Cart, or some other simplistic game.
Rest In Pepperoni-Used by 360 no scopers who do the Y Y 360 dorrito shrek shot.
Resterino In Pepperino-Used by creeps. Broneys, neckbeards, and people who write fan fictions in youtube commments are the most common culprits.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4896 on: March 17, 2016, 08:40:23 PM
Superhero beat-'em-up-athon! More SNES stuff. Added spoiler tags to reduce the wall-of-text-ness.

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse
[spoiler]Apparently there's an extended ending in this game and I had no idea. Couldn't find the requirements anywhere, though. GameFAQs codes page is wrong, guides don't mention anything. I found videos on YT with the true ending, and they all appear to play the game perfectly. So I aimed for a no death run, and yep, scored the true ending. Seems like a super harsh requirement though, considering how stupid some of the stages can be with the OHKOs. I still hope the real answer lies somewhere less crazy. Maybe you can't let any X-Men die permanently (which tends to happen in my games). To be confirmed, I guess. For now I'll celebrate that deathless run.[/spoiler]

Marvel Super Heroes: War of the Gems
[spoiler]Unlike Mutant Apocalypse, where most levels are specifically designed for each character, in this one you pick the hero you want for each area. Level design feels kinda generic because of that, but at least you have more decisions to make. For some reason my mind always lands on Hulk for Mt. Vesuvius, even though the guy clearly takes up half the screen. Not that I doubt his capability as a smasher of things, but a master of dodging fireballs he isn't. Ended up switching to Cap. Most levels are best done with Cap or Iron Man anyway, but Wolverine and Spidey can be useful in areas with walls to climb and to deal with attacks that pass right above their head without crouching.[/spoiler]

Death and Return of Superman
[spoiler]Enjoyed it better than my first meh playthrough. I realize now that this is not a game about punching enemies, it's about throwing them. Throw them on other enemies, throw them on the floor to destroy generators, on walls to reveal items. I think I did my whole first playthrough a few years back without knowing about the wall items. That's like playing Castlevania without turkey. Cyborg boss is a cheap bastard and it sucks that this game breaks the One Beat-'Em-Up Rule of being able to hit 2+ enemies at once. I mean, come on, Blizzard. Music is weak too. Those aside, the game was okay.[/spoiler]

Spider Man & Venom: Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety
[spoiler]First time playing. There are some cool web moves in these games, and the gameplay can be rewarding if you know the tricks. I like the double smash, power hit and the hero helpers who provide a much needed breathing room. The one thing I hate about both games is that you actually avoid grabbing enemies because you're a sitting duck while doing so. Any group fight is scary because you might unintentionally touch an enemy and initiate the slowest grab animation of all time.

MC's supervillain bosses are crazy unfair. They almost never fight alone, and they're relentless. Carnage must have imported his health bar from an RPG. Separation Anxiety is super free in comparison (finished on my first attempt, no continues). I didn't quite love either game, but for what it's worth, MC is more inspired and interesting. It feels like an interactive comic book (the POW style effects when you hit enemies are a nice touch), it has more route options with Spidey/Venom exclusive levels, and it's packed with secrets. SA is really just a dull and repetitive beat-'em-up. I wonder how Capcom would've handled these back in the day.[/spoiler]

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4897 on: March 17, 2016, 09:01:47 PM
Been playing Salt and Sanctuary it's a solid game to be sure but it feels for all the things the team plagiarized errr homage from Dark Souls 1, 2 and Bloodborne they didn't really take any cues from it's enemy and boss design.

Bosses are way to spammy with their attacks (the second boss is very guilty of this) and the simplistic animations mean it's often hard to get a feel for a bosses "tells" The level design and basic combat is otherwise pretty good although the characters are uuuuugly and very poorly animatied. Guess It should hold me over along with my Dark Souls 2:Scholar of the First Sin run until 3 hits early next month.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4898 on: March 18, 2016, 10:25:13 PM
Thanks to finally getting a PC Controller again I decided to try Ys 1. 

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #4899 on: March 18, 2016, 10:43:32 PM
I need to get a new PC controller too. My newest's down on the D-pad is busted and only functions when I press it down hard.

Fear me.