The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 728400

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4775 on: September 29, 2015, 05:19:01 AM
Well, there's more gameplay than cutscenes this time, so... I consider that a win.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4776 on: September 29, 2015, 05:46:03 AM
Too much gameplay, too little plot. And what plot there remains is badly written and incredibly contrived.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4777 on: September 29, 2015, 06:15:10 AM
Well, there's more gameplay than cutscenes this time, so... I consider that a win.

/shudders

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4778 on: September 29, 2015, 06:17:02 AM
/shudders
Not a fan of Metal Gear or the sheer amount of cutscenes?

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4779 on: September 29, 2015, 06:25:11 AM
If I'm watching/listening more to the story than I am actually playing the game, something is terribly [tornado fang]ing wrong.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4780 on: September 29, 2015, 06:28:21 AM
Hence why I don't plan on playing Metal Gear games.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4781 on: September 29, 2015, 06:44:04 AM
MGS4 is the only real offender in that regard. The other three are just fine.

if nothing else, play the first three, and then watch 4's movie cut on Youtube. I insist upon that.

Don't bother with Peace Walker or MGSV:GZ/TPP, because as far as i'm concerned, those aren't canon.

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4782 on: September 29, 2015, 06:50:50 AM
If there's one thing I can give the whole mess for, is that it really helps Otacon further shine as the best character in contrast to his [parasitic bomb] dad and retconned backstory.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #4783 on: September 29, 2015, 06:55:35 AM
Of the games I've played in the Metal Gear Solid series outside of the original MSX games I played MGS1 and 2. 3 is something I want to try out if can get the 3DS version like Unkawaii recommended if I can actually get a New 3DS. Getting the first one working on PC though was pain on Windows 8.1, namely because of how old it is and sadly it doesn't seem like anybody isn't going to give a us modern port of it. Quite a shame though because the PC port of MGS1 is actually really good; smoother texture quality, the ability to save without having to use Mei-Ling for that, surprisingly supports XInput controls despite being a Windows 95 (though mapping the triggers to cycle through items and weapons are reversed for some reason; D-pad isn't as useful as the analog stick however since it doesn't register 8-way controls), and some other improvements.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4784 on: September 29, 2015, 06:58:59 AM
If there's one thing I can give the whole mess for, is that it really helps Otacon further shine as the best character in contrast to his [parasitic bomb] dad and retconned backstory.

Yeah. I'll give it that much. It also had good voice acting if that's worth anything for how little you hear it.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4785 on: September 29, 2015, 07:00:33 AM
Of the games I've played in the Metal Gear Solid series outside of the original MSX games I played MGS1 and 2. 3 is something I want to try out if can get the 3DS version like Unkawaii recommended if I can actually get a New 3DS. Getting the first one working on PC though was pain on Windows 8.1, namely because of how old it is and sadly it doesn't seem like anybody isn't going to give a us modern port of it. Quite a shame though because the PC port of MGS1 is actually really good; smoother texture quality, the ability to save without having to use Mei-Ling for that, surprisingly supports XInput controls despite being a Windows 95 (though mapping the triggers to cycle through items and weapons is reversed for some reason; D-pad isn't as useful as the analog stick however since it doesn't register 8-way controls), and some other improvements.

You can remap the triggers pretty easily. It was kind of confusing at first but I manage to get it to a proper configuration.

If you CAN get Snake Eater on another platform, I'd recommend it over Snake Eater 3D, but it IS a good port and well worth the 30 bucks. Hell, get it on regular 3DS, because aiming with the buttons actually isn't that bad once you get used to it.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4786 on: September 29, 2015, 07:06:11 AM
Haha, I have an irrational hatred of MGS for no other reason than it was so popular that Kojima wasn't allowed to make a Zone of the Enders 3!  8D

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4787 on: September 29, 2015, 07:07:54 AM
That doesn't suprise me at all. XD

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4788 on: September 29, 2015, 07:09:24 AM
Take solace in the fact that MGSV, a game that took five years and 80 billion dollars to develop, is considered by AT LEAST half of the fanbase to be the worst entry in the franchise.

But for real, PB, Sakura, I beg you to set your bias aside and play MGS1, 2, and 3 at the very least. ESPECIALLY 3.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4789 on: September 29, 2015, 07:12:24 AM
Haha, I have an irrational hatred of MGS for no other reason than it was so popular that Kojima wasn't allowed to make a Zone of the Enders 3!  8D
There was Ender's Project but because Konami thought it was a good idea to hire a company that makes lackluster ports and games rather than do it in-house (just like they did with Silent Hill 2 & 3) or get Hexa Drive from the start to do the HD Collection for Zone of the Enders, the project was scrapped before it could even have any chance at all. Still pissed that Xbox 360 got the shaft from that debacle but at least I got to relive 2nd Runner in glorious 1080p post-patch on the PS3. Too bad I don't have a PS3 of my own.

-EDIT-
You can remap the triggers pretty easily. It was kind of confusing at first but I manage to get it to a proper configuration.
It wasn't the remapping the triggers that was the problem for but how they're in reverse from what I actually want to map them to that throws me off (e.g. mapping Inventory Weapons to RT sends it to LT instead).

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4790 on: September 29, 2015, 07:32:08 AM
-EDIT-It wasn't the remapping the triggers that was the problem for but how they're in reverse from what I actually want to map them to that throws me off (e.g. mapping Inventory Weapons to RT sends it to LT instead).

That's what I was talking about. I had to experiment with remapping weapons/items for a bit to figure it out. Just reverse them until you get it right.

Offline NitroWhite

• Java Maker
  • Robot Master
  • I hate all of you
    • View Profile
Reply #4791 on: September 29, 2015, 07:40:00 AM
At some point I'll either play Neptunia Re;Birth 1 or Terraria. Probably the latter.

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4792 on: September 29, 2015, 08:08:17 AM
I probably will play them one day

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4793 on: September 29, 2015, 11:48:35 AM
FC4 was great. What're you on about?

FC4 >>> Phantom Pain
Just saw this.

FC4 is... no. Just no.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4794 on: September 29, 2015, 05:38:17 PM
Just saw this.

FC4 is... no. Just no.

It's certainly better than Phantom Pain though!  8D

Offline Fxeni

• Master's Unit
  • Shall we?
    • View Profile
Reply #4795 on: September 30, 2015, 12:21:33 AM
I respectfully disagree :P

This is coming from someone who played the MGS games for the gameplay though, so take that as you will.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4796 on: September 30, 2015, 12:31:36 AM
I respectfully disagree :P

This is coming from someone who played the MGS games for the gameplay though, so take that as you will.

Same reason for me with the Kingdom Hearts series. I [tornado fang]ing love the gameplay like no other.

However, I could do without the story, since it is convoluted dogshit, with occasional interesting moments.

Organization XIII ruined any potential of a good story.

Offline NitroWhite

• Java Maker
  • Robot Master
  • I hate all of you
    • View Profile
Reply #4797 on: September 30, 2015, 12:43:40 AM
Playing Painkiller, gotta love the metal as [tornado fang] aesthetic in that series. Also going to play Doom II

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4798 on: October 03, 2015, 10:46:24 PM
Finally got back toplaying Animal Croasing New Leaf after 3,000 years.  Luckily none of my favorite villagers moved out.  Also still playing Happy Home Designer as well, I'm hoping to get someone who wants to make a House with Sweet Furniture since there's a Competition to make the Sweetest House ever going on right now and there's only 12 days left.

But like I said before Happy Home Designer is not worth the full price, please get this when there's a sale if you intend to buy it.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4799 on: October 05, 2015, 04:29:43 AM
I haven't posted here in a long-ass time.

Finished playing through Silent Hill 1 last night for first time and managed to get the best ending. Felt pretty good, and the game sold me with the atmosphere and tension. The hammer though, felt game-breaking despite being sort of hard to use, especially against the groaners (the "zombie" dogs in this game) because you gotta time your attacks just right to score hits with quicker enemies. What I also liked that there is a bit of stealth involved as the game recommends you to keep your light off to avoid enemies or sneak up on them to score hits on the before they notice you. Now onto another game I'm gonna play from my Spooktober List, Silent Hill 2 on PC.