The "What are you currently playing?" Thread

Saber · 728427

Archer

Reply #4325 on: May 18, 2014, 08:46:43 AM
Phi I have never misinterpreted what you've said, rather I'm just informing how you come off to certain people. May I suggest that you try to get a little less aggravated when people call you out on things?

The reason I never answered question about The Last of Us was because you asked me to keep spoiler-free when I had specifically said the thing I found boring was the story so naturally I couldn't really say much without going into detail. Though I suppose I can go into a little more detail on that. First of all I've never understood why people make such a big deal about the visuals, sure they look alright from a graphics stand point but who wants to look at bunch of ruined cities and a whole lot dark caves and such? I sure don't, there's nothing remotely interesting about that.

The gameplay is alright but its nothing special and more than that its just disappointing compared to the footage they showed off before release, in fact the AI is just so laughably bad in comparison to what they had previously shown off its quite sad to see. The game is  basically Uncharted if you took way all the good parts and left yourself with the mediocre, just a generic stealth/cover shooter that might have been considered impressive half a decade ago.

Ultimately the real problem I have is that at the end of the day the gameplay is used as a gating system for story progression rather than the gameplay being the defining experience, thought I might have been okay with that if the plot wasn't just a clichéd, rather dull and rather repetitive zombie movie with stellar production values. Which leaves us with generic gameplay in between segments of boring story.

It is by no means a bad game but its not nearly good enough to be worthy of the sheer amount of praise it gets.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4326 on: May 18, 2014, 06:39:59 PM
Right now getting my Daisy fix on Mario Tennis Open.  ...probably my least favorite Mario Tennis game, but still decent.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4327 on: May 18, 2014, 09:41:17 PM
Phi I have never misinterpreted what you've said, rather I'm just informing how you come off to certain people. May I suggest that you try to get a little less aggravated when people call you out on things?

That's the same...

*sigh* Whatever, we can continue this in Skype.

The reason I never answered question about The Last of Us was because you asked me to keep spoiler-free when I had specifically said the thing I found boring was the story so naturally I couldn't really say much without going into detail.

Fair enough.

First of all I've never understood why people make such a big deal about the visuals, sure they look alright from a graphics stand point but who wants to look at bunch of ruined cities and a whole lot dark caves and such? I sure don't, there's nothing remotely interesting about that.

For one thing, on a technical level, The Last of Us pushes the PS3 system. In fact, my PS3, along with many others, have froze on a few occasions because it had difficulties rendering certain assets.

I can understand how you think the visuals are just "alright", especially when taking into account that PC can push out better looking games with ease, and the resolution only reaches 720p. However, for PS3 capabilities, it is quite a feat. You may not be interested in technical specs and whatnot, but that's how it is.

As for the ruined cities and all that, I actually find it very interesting and eerily beautiful. Nature has taken its course, and the greenery has "devoured" the earth, in a sense. Not to mention there's a few photo-realistic sequences here and there, which I didn't expect from PS3.

If you don't feel the same, that's fine, of course. Like I stated, everyone's entitled to their opinions.

For this game, I like to think of "There's beauty in simple things".

The gameplay is alright but its nothing special and more than that its just disappointing compared to the footage they showed off before release, in fact the AI is just so laughably bad in comparison to what they had previously shown off its quite sad to see. The game is  basically Uncharted if you took way all the good parts and left yourself with the mediocre, just a generic stealth/cover shooter that might have been considered impressive half a decade ago.

I fully agree on the gameplay. It is nothing special.

But... was the AI really that different from what they showed before release? It showed enemies looking for the source of sounds, demonstrating what you can do with bottles/bricks, and groups splitting up to look for you. All of that remained intact in the final product.

As a whole, I will agree that the AI is pretty retarded. But, honestly, I didn't really mind so much. I mean, I can't really think of ANY game that had very intelligent AI. AI has always been a constant issue in games for as long as I can remember. Personally, I don't mind those faults, as the game is still somewhat challenging, thanks to the limited ammo and supplies seen in games like the classic Resident Evil. You do really feel like you have to make every shot count; you can't just go guns blazing.

As for the stealth, I mean... what more could you want? I'd actually say the stealth is much better than it ever was in the Uncharted franchise. The way I see it, you can't really improve the stealth mechanics further than what modern shooters have already been doing. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

This isn't like the Batman Arkham games where you can sneak around and take out enemies in various unique ways. You have very limited resources and there is far less hiding places, as everything is falling apart. The stealth/cover shooting works pretty well with the setting of this game.

Ultimately the real problem I have is that at the end of the day the gameplay is used as a gating system for story progression rather than the gameplay being the defining experience, thought I might have been okay with that if the plot wasn't just a clichéd, rather dull and rather repetitive zombie movie with stellar production values. Which leaves us with generic gameplay in between segments of boring story.

I can't comment on the overall story quite yet, though I believe I'm nearing the ending. But so far, I have to say I really like the plot. It's not amazing by any means, but it's certainly not mediocre. I'm not sure what was repetitive about it. I mean, it's a story about surviving an infected outbreak so it's obvious there's going to be reoccurring dangers to circumvent. That's the underlying foundation for the story progression.

I will say this: I feel the main problem with this is that Naughty Dog marketed the gameplay as innovative and "defining", like you stated. I agree with you, the gameplay mechanics are nothing amazing. But if I forget that the gameplay was intended to be a main selling point, The Last of Us is quite enjoyable; I think it's a very solid game.

Do I agree with all the 10/10 review scores it gets? Definitely not. However, I do think it deserves a lot of the praise it gets. Not ALL of it, but I can tell ND really put in a lot of effort into this, despite its glaring shortcomings.

Also, I find the writing and expressions impeccable, much like the Uncharted series. Just the little things like Ellie's humming and mannerisms, to her naive and headstrong personality puts a smile on my face. I also quite enjoy Joel and Ellie's relationship, even if it's VERY much like DeWitt and Elizabeth's relationship (from BioShock Infinite). I suppose the relationship is a cliche within itself, but both were done very well.

It is by no means a bad game but its not nearly good enough to be worthy of the sheer amount of praise it gets.

See, was that so hard? You gave me your opinions, and I responded with some of my own. No one is getting "defensive".

Archer

Reply #4328 on: May 18, 2014, 10:56:46 PM
See, was that so hard?

Yes, don't make me do it again.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4329 on: May 19, 2014, 01:02:32 AM
Bioshock Infinite got really boring like halfway through.

Archer

Reply #4330 on: May 19, 2014, 01:08:08 AM
Bioshock Infinite got really boring like halfway through.

Woah man you can't just say that its boring and leave it at that, that's not good enough. Phi is going to make you go into detail now.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4331 on: May 19, 2014, 02:07:29 AM
Woah man you can't just say that its boring and leave it at that, that's not good enough. Phi is going to make you go into detail now.

Should I fluff my post with filler sentences and pretentious language?

Honestly Infinite devolved into a shootyfest shortly after you get to Fink. Couldn't glean much entertainment out of it.

Anyways, I'm giving Chivalry: Medieval Warfare/Deadliest Warrior a go. Probably just gonna sit down and let Fire Emblem consume me though.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #4332 on: May 19, 2014, 02:35:11 AM
I've been playing this game for android  called Smash 3.
It plays kind of like Juice Cubes or Bejeweled but you're Godzilla smashing your way though the army and stuff.
It's really fun and has surprisingly good graphics for what It is.
Add in the fact it's free and that just makes It better.
The downside is you can only have 5 lives at once and unless people send you lives It takes half an hour for one life to respawn.
That and the timed levels made my want to kill something!
It's a good game if you like match -em-up games.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4333 on: May 19, 2014, 02:37:44 AM
Should I fluff my post with filler sentences and pretentious language?

... Would you rather I type like a 10 year old, instead? And pretentious? Is that what being educated is seen as nowadays?

Come on dude. At least try.

Honestly Infinite devolved into a shootyfest shortly after you get to Fink. Couldn't glean much entertainment out of it.

Oh absolutely, Infinite's gameplay was horridly tedious. I got my hopes up from that extended demo they showed before release. However, I loved the story and listening to the Voxophone recordings.

I really liked the ending, too, though I know a lot of people don't because they found it "confusing" or something. I didn't find it too complex; at least not after watching it multiple times over.

I had you, specifically, go into detail because I know you often bash things you never tried for yourself. You said it yourself that you're not serious about many things you say, so saying "The Last of Us was boring" could've very well been a random statement pulled out of your ass.

I can believe him when he says Infinite was boring. I can trust his word on that.

You, on the other hand, not so much.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4334 on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:35 AM
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

Pretty good game, fun gameplay, good puzzles. Even if it's obvious how heavily inspired it was by Zelda.

Also it's great to have a game that takes cues from Egyptian mythology, which not many games (to my knowledge) utilize for their lore.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4335 on: May 19, 2014, 05:54:59 AM
I'm playing Crimson Shroud, most recently. Nearly died during the battle with the Minotaur on my NG+ run. I'm tempted to equip the Falchion, as it's the most powerful sword I have, but it has the worst defense stats of all Giauque's weapons.

I may have to compensate by using Frea and her healing/enhancement abilities. I hope that'll be enough to keep Giauque alive when the heavy hitters encroach on us.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4336 on: May 19, 2014, 08:05:42 AM
I'm playing Crimson Shroud, most recently. Nearly died during the battle with the Minotaur on my NG+ run. I'm tempted to equip the Falchion, as it's the most powerful sword I have, but it has the worst defense stats of all Giauque's weapons.

I may have to compensate by using Frea and her healing/enhancement abilities. I hope that'll be enough to keep Giauque alive when the heavy hitters encroach on us.

You can do it! and yes, buffs and debuffs are VERY helpful.  Sometimes when I come across some of the spell scrolls, I would 'almost' engrave them onto some of the gear I have, especially if they have blank spots for insertion of new spells hoho~

Witcher - Geralt, even sleeping with ladies that just complain about trials and tribulations...a true heroic [classy lady]~ so amazing.

still taking my time on these games.  Jojo's Bizzare Adventure All Star Battle i've been playing a fair bit now though.

I REALLY like the feature of editing the taunts and victory screens, along with changing the size and angle of the comic FX! love it! now I really WANT a DC/Marvel fighter or something to have that feature...I can just imagine.

Victory screen with Nightwing, and his glorious butt, with ZOOOOM right under.  "I am Nightwing!"

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4337 on: May 19, 2014, 10:04:41 AM
Still playing Persona 4 Arena.

Still failing at Godsue Mode. With Labrys I can get to Kanji, but then Kanji pretty much kills me right away with his grab attacks. And apparently Naoto's allowed to do her Instant Kill in her match, not cool guys.

Offline Frozen Potato

• The Unamused Blue Haired
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #4338 on: May 19, 2014, 03:06:36 PM
Love Live Idol School Festival for android.

I have no idea why I'm playing this.....I'm not into idols, uber level moeblobs or anything. For a rhythm game, its OK I guess.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4339 on: May 20, 2014, 04:36:05 AM
I'm playing Tomodachi Life.

EDIT: And I'm done with Tomodachi Life until the game actually comes out. Thanks for the Demo, Nintendo.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4340 on: May 20, 2014, 06:07:02 AM
Nintendo gave away demos?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #4341 on: May 20, 2014, 06:38:29 AM
Yeah, they were real sneaky about it and only gave them away to people who use Club Nintendo, registered Animal Crossing, and are in Platinum status for the year.

And I don't even think they gave it to everybody who met that criteria since the email states "select group".

Real short demo, only allowed to bring in/create three miis, solve about 8 problems, stuff like that. Game data transfers over to the full game though, and you get a special item (Two Panda suits, apparently color is random.) for solving the max amount of problems and having 3 miis.

Unfortunately they don't really convey the wackiness of the game very well in the demo, just the friends and the synthesized voice stuff. I like how when you input a name, the game will speak it so you can hear how it sounds, and then change how its pronounced to get the sound right.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4342 on: May 20, 2014, 07:06:12 AM
Yeah, I achieved the criteria and still didn't get the e-mail. Ah well.

I hope Nintendo doesn't pull this exclusive demo crap with Smash Bros.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4343 on: May 20, 2014, 08:15:48 AM
I didn't get one until shortly after I filled out a survey saying I'd buy the game.

Might wanna try that...

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Blue Valkyrie

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #4344 on: May 20, 2014, 02:44:04 PM
Replaying Wild Arms 2, the sequel always felt out of place in the original three games; maybe it was the lack of a supernatural threat until the later half of the story and the Idiot translation (seriously this is one of the worst translated RPGs I've ever played, it's almost so bad it's good). It's still a fun game game though; and DAT Knight Blazer though. Shame Sony abandoned the franchise Wild Arms 3 is still one of my favorite RPGs of all time although 4 and 5 were pretty mediocre though so I guess that explains dropping the franchise.

Other wise I'm playing co-op with a friend through Tales of Xilla; it's fun but I admit the franchise feels really stale now;  I'm not to far in the story but the characters are just...okay. It's no Symphonia/Abyss/or Vesperia that's for sure. I was kinda interested that there was a female main character choice but was quite disappointed when she turned out to be a robot in personality, guess that changes later? =/

Still gotta finish Child of Light, really enjoying it overall but I there's a few other games I want to replay before that. Maybe Threads of Fate or SMT Nocturne next?

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4345 on: May 20, 2014, 05:52:38 PM
I forgot how good the Infinite Justice is in the Gundam Extreme Vs. games.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4346 on: May 20, 2014, 10:11:00 PM
I started Transistor. It's great so far.

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #4347 on: May 21, 2014, 05:36:55 PM
I played some Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Team Missions with a buddy online. We only had time to finish one mission, which was stupid hard. The next one doesn't seem all that tough to be honest, we got to the final wave a couple times out of 5 attempts or so.

It's fun to play co-op and all, but the more I play this game, the more I hate how unresponsive dodging is compared to NGS1. Or any action game, really. Freaking Hayashi.

That said, if anyone wants to play this game co-op, I'm interested. I'd like to finish all the missions in one Ninja Gaiden game at least.

I also beat the original Castlevania again recently. Cool game, but 3 just mops the floor with it.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4348 on: May 24, 2014, 05:40:05 AM
Tried out the Mario Golf 3DS demo.  ...not happy with the fact that they threw varying meter speeds in there again (although at least not in the same swing, like in NES Open Tournament Golf), the alternate timing being used for puts really throws me off.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #4349 on: May 24, 2014, 08:08:09 AM
Torrenting Watch_Dogs. Gonna see what all the hype is about. Might buy if I like it.