Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3825 on: July 01, 2013, 08:13:59 AM
but BRUCE WILLIS

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #3826 on: July 01, 2013, 08:15:26 AM
The main problem is that you don't have any control of what characters you move, everything is set in an order before a turn begins, so you could move Frank West and Hsein-Ko right away then have four enemies and maybe the boss move&attack/do nothing before you move... Say, Dante and Demitri. Also I believe solo characters are unable to be used seperately like in NxC, so you have even less characters to toss around.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #3827 on: July 01, 2013, 10:26:13 PM
LOL

That's the complete opposite of KHII.
Hey, don't forget, I wasn't ultra-pro back then and I'm only slightly more ultra-pro than I was now. I simply don't remember it being this hard. I wasn't saying I am getting my ass kicked here, I just found the difficulty level surprising given my memories of it.

Except for those [tornado fang]ing Timeless River cars. That I remember being [tornado fang]ing [parasitic bomb] to deal with.

Anyways I'm also encountering a lot of bosses and "press triangle to not die" moments that I don't remember at all. Every now and then I get a nostalgia boner until I encounter the ballroom boss before it went invisible and go, "What the [tornado fang] is this [parasitic bomb]? I don't remember this guy at all... Also I don't remember needing to spam triangle here..."

Specifically, I don't remember there being a reaction command for every [tornado fang]ing enemy in the game.

what

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3828 on: July 02, 2013, 12:40:57 AM
This Wednesday, Ringman and I are planning another round of Conclave.

Anyone want to join in?  We may be at level 4 now, but we'll replay those first quests with you and help kick some major ass!

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3829 on: July 02, 2013, 07:28:00 AM
So I bought Tales of the abyss but I actually won't start it until July 4th maybe.

Till then I've still got Animal Crossing, so I was able to catch 5 more bugs today and a new fish.

those Walking sticks and leaves evaded me today.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3830 on: July 04, 2013, 03:43:31 AM
Aw yeah, playing some Conclave.

Still open to other party members.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3831 on: July 04, 2013, 05:50:54 AM
Playing more Kingdom Hearts 2. Oh god Maleficent. Just look at my custom title... :|

Oh, and for a more complete list of what I am playing:

Team Fortress 2 (PC)
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (PC)
Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (ZSNES)
Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter (PC) (Only because my father nagged me into giving the game a second shot. It's literally the only MMO that interests me now.)
Kingdom Hearts 2 (PS2)
Whatever I'm working on in GM8.1 (PC)

what

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3832 on: July 04, 2013, 06:06:32 AM
Decided to try out Namco X Capcom.

There's plenty of differences between this and PXZ, PXZ runs at a choppier framerate, there's no XP in NxC, and unlocking the Up and Down Moves in PXZ is a drag where in NxC you have them already.

Its quite fun but i'm kind of seeing why people got irritated with PXZ getting so monotonus.
NxC is actually at a much slower pace than PxZ, though, since enemy attacks take forever.  PxZ only resorts to enemy cutscenes when a boss uses a special attack.  Also, I appreciate the fact that PxZ has a solid turn structure (the fact that every character actually does move once per turn).  One of my pet peeves in NxC is the fact that your "defensive" commands radically impact the turn order; to such a degree that defending yourself against a boss can lead to the boss attacking the same character multiple times before said character ever has the chance to do anything else.  Ditto for Multiple Assaults.  It makes it very difficult to actually determine what the best move is because you only have a rough idea of how a given action will impact your turn order.  In PxZ you're worried strictly about managing the XP bar, which makes it easier to plan.

So it's all show and no fluff. They rake in the profits from all the big-name characters joined in one roster.

*sigh* I was worried about that.
And just what the hell is wrong with fanservice?  Seriously, I'm asking this as somebody who sank hundreds of hours into FE Awakening's Lunatic + Mode.  Not every games needs to be a ball-breaking-dominate-your-life challenge.  I'm loving the introduction to characters whose games I rarely play, and hell, it's REIJI AND XIAOMU MEET X AND ZERO, that's reason enough.

Plus Iris. 8)

Isn't that just... One map?

Its also a really early map in the game.
Not THAT early.  I think it's somewhere in the teens.  But IIRC it's a little watered down as compared to the actual game's map.

I expected it to let the player ponder about their next move, and not just spam random attacks to win.
What little strategy there is really has little to do with the map and more to do with how you time your attacks in order to do the most damage (and/or milk the most XP to enable skills/attacks later).  It's simple, yes, but it's more engaging than you might think.

Nobody who's ever played Yoshi Story judges a game solely by it's challenge, and I suppose PxZ may be best described as the strategy equivalent to that.  While it's extraordinarily difficult to "game over", there is definitely an advantage to knowing how to manage your attacks, items, and skills.  Beat down the optional high-level characters and you get better items to use later.  But if you want to suck and get by on the minimum, well, you can probably still clear the levels without too much trouble.

Never died yet, and it's rare that I have to "revive" a fallen teammate.  But I will say this: KOS-MOS's intro level was pretty nerve-wracking.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Ahrzayl

• Crisis Strawberry
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Super Psycho Sweety
    • View Profile
Reply #3833 on: July 04, 2013, 06:07:49 AM
-has an award for knowing so much about kingdom hearts 2-

Project X Zone! [spoiler]Guh...My lovely Devilotte RETOOOOOOOOYYYNS!!![/spoiler]

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3834 on: July 04, 2013, 06:10:17 AM
Ooooooh [parasitic bomb].  We're at a boss.

We be dead.

Say goodbye to Lizardon and Dorothy.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #3835 on: July 04, 2013, 07:06:21 AM
And just what the hell is wrong with fanservice?  Seriously, I'm asking this as somebody who sank hundreds of hours into FE Awakening's Lunatic + Mode.  Not every games needs to be a ball-breaking-dominate-your-life challenge.

Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with fanservice. Only when said fanservice is just that and basically nothing else to swallow with it. It may be great to see all these famous characters in one game, but if there's little-to-no strategy in a STRATEGY game, then... it's not justifying the genre at hand, now is it?

Again, like I said before, ALL SHOW AND NO FLUFF. There's no point in playing a game that can't deliver a challenging experience; or rather, no point in playing a strategy game that can't deliver a challenging experience. No, it doesn't have to be a "ball-breaking-dominate-your-life challenge" like Awakening's Lunatic modes, but it should still offer a substantial enough challenge to make you feel like you're actually accomplishing a risky and exhilarating task.

it's REIJI AND XIAOMU MEET X AND ZERO, that's reason enough.

Plus Iris. 8)

"That's reason enough"? Was it really that simple to make you cough up dough for this?

What little strategy there is really has little to do with the map and more to do with how you time your attacks in order to do the most damage (and/or milk the most XP to enable skills/attacks later).  It's simple, yes, but it's more engaging than you might think.

Nobody who's ever played Yoshi Story judges a game solely by it's challenge, and I suppose PxZ may be best described as the strategy equivalent to that.  While it's extraordinarily difficult to "game over", there is definitely an advantage to knowing how to manage your attacks, items, and skills.  Beat down the optional high-level characters and you get better items to use later.  But if you want to suck and get by on the minimum, well, you can probably still clear the levels without too much trouble.

Never died yet, and it's rare that I have to "revive" a fallen teammate.  But I will say this: KOS-MOS's intro level was pretty nerve-wracking.

From what I played in both eShop demos, it is indeed engaging to manage attacks and such. Well, even if you could only manage as much as a demo allows.

But I can tell it gets old after a while. As I've also heard from many other people that have actually beat the game.

Once you get the juggling times down and manage the XP gauge with ease, there's even less challenge than what you start with.

First and foremost, this is a STRATEGY game. If it's extraordinarily difficult to get a game over, that says it all. It fails what it sets out to do. Managing your [parasitic bomb] will make the game easier than the already easy experience.

You said it yourself: if you want to suck and get by on the minimum, you can probably still clear the levels without too much trouble.

This game takes a dump on the strategy genre.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #3836 on: July 04, 2013, 08:03:42 AM
I am sad that now Conclave wants me to pay for the rest of the game... which I'll no doubt buy as I love this turn-based RPG.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #3837 on: July 04, 2013, 08:49:31 AM
"That's reason enough"? Was it really that simple to make you cough up dough for this?
It's Iris. If they made a real-life replica of her, he'd probably spend his life savings to purchase it. :P

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3838 on: July 04, 2013, 09:00:34 AM
It's Iris. If they made a real-life replica of her, he'd probably spend his life savings to purchase it. :P

I'm extremely creeped out by that thought. :o

Offline Rin

• The Hate Machine
  • Master's Unit
  • WORD
    • View Profile
Reply #3839 on: July 04, 2013, 09:19:42 AM
>Not building a real life replica of your waifu yourself
>Not using real human bones for the insides
>2013

All joking aside, is the game really that boring?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #3840 on: July 04, 2013, 09:22:33 AM
I haven't played it in two days. X and Zero don't pop in until halfway through the game and I'm only on chapter 15. Which means I have 5 more chapters to go until they even show up.

Game is also really slow but there's ways around that I just haven't gotten to seeing.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #3841 on: July 05, 2013, 05:46:20 AM
I've been messing around with Doom 64 EX v2.3, and I have to say Kaiser did a pretty good job with this conversion of the N64 original. Hi-resolution settings (4:3 settings needs work though since the screen doesn't center in fullscreen), custom settings to enable mouse-look (not just for turning, but also able to look up and down, which is nice so I can admire pixelated hellish scenery) and whatnot, customizable controls (although I don't have much of choice with a Xbox 360 controller unfortunately; only "classic" or "modern" presets). Despite being only made for 32-bit systems, I was able to run this on my brother's Windows 7 64-bit just fine. This a pretty good alternative for Doom 3 since the music here in Doom 64 is not the rockin' metal style from Doom 1 and 2 (which I don't mind), but instead we're treated to some rather dark, dreary, and ominous music. Have a listen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fisg6aq01js[/youtube]

This is my first time playing Doom 64 in any shape or form. I didn't knew about this installment of Doom at all until I saw HVGN's review on it, and instead of being another port of Doom, this is an entirely new game. I'm liking this Doom though, its right up there next to Doom 3 of the two Doom games I've ever played. So far I got into the first secret level, Hectic, and this secret level is kicking my balls around like a hacky sack since I'm playing this on "I Own Doom". If the Arachnotrons didn't kill me when I went down in one of the rooms to get the red skull key and rocket launcher, it'll be the lava pit in the other room with the blue skull key since its so frickin' easy to fall off a ledge. And if that doesn't do it, it's the damn Hell Knights in that same room that will. :P

Offline Da Dood

• SA-Class Hunter
  • Dood Trigger!
    • View Profile
Reply #3842 on: July 05, 2013, 05:41:20 PM
Only took me 11 hours to Platinum Devil May Cry 1 HD. That was my fastest Plat!

Anyway, I got DMC HD Collection as a birthday present. Not looking forward to revisiting DMC2, so I might play something else after this.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #3843 on: July 06, 2013, 12:58:47 AM
I can't play Doom 64 or Doom 3 BECAUSE it's lacking the sick metal riffs.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #3844 on: July 06, 2013, 05:39:45 AM
Oh, there's absolutely nothing wrong with fanservice. Only when said fanservice is just that and basically nothing else to swallow with it. It may be great to see all these famous characters in one game, but if there's little-to-no strategy in a STRATEGY game, then... it's not justifying the genre at hand, now is it?
The thing is, I figured out in 1989 that just because a game features characters moving on a board, doesn't necessarily mean that unit positioning is the meat of the experience.  In PxZ, there's juggling in combat, there's customization in managing your gear and third-unit pairings, there is the need to plan ahead for the all-too-common Boss Counter-Attacks (and having multiple bosses on the map is a regular thing once you get far enough), and there is the whimsical appeal of watching the dialogue between these characters who don't otherwise interact in any other game ever (Zero talking to Devilotte is hilarious).  Is it repetitive?  Well, yes, but if that in itself is considered a criticism then there are probably better places to hang on the internet than a Mega Man community...

I'd also submit to you that the Game Over screen isn't a terribly common sight in Fire Emblem either; rather the game's perma-death system (optional in Awakening) mandates perfection.

No.  It was that simple to get me to cough up dough to install a flip-top on my PS2 and import Namco X Capcom.

I have fond memories of that game; fell in love with it LONG before I got far enough to unlock Volnutt, and that is why I'm so nuts over Reiji and Xiaomu to begin with.  So, if I know and approved of the formula already, why SHOULDN'T I shell out the money for PxZ?

Incidentally, Namco X Capcom is both easier and slower than Project X Zone.

I'm extremely creeped out by that thought. :o
Don't worry, I wouldn't buy it.  ...I'd have nightmares of a replica-Zero slicing me in half.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3845 on: July 06, 2013, 11:57:46 AM
Finally beat Kingdom Hearts 2 on normal. I...don't have the resolve to go through it all again for Proud mode, hell I don't even have the resolve to boot back to a savepoint ago and tussel with Sephie again, who I skipped by accident because I genuinely thought the game had run out of ways to actually challenge me or make me grow.

I really need the money to get Rogue Galaxy or Ratchet and Clank. I know there's a library that might still have one but I don't know if my card even works there anymore...

what

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #3846 on: July 06, 2013, 01:49:52 PM
Finally beat Kingdom Hearts 2 on normal.

Good work. ^^

I remember doing Critical Mode in Final Mix about 5 years ago, it was crazier when I did the LV1 run.

Oh wow, these screens are so old. >U<

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #3847 on: July 06, 2013, 08:32:31 PM
Back when I had a PS2, I beaten KH2 on Normal and Proud mode (only because I wanted to see the secret ending)... :'(

I can't play Doom 64 or Doom 3 BECAUSE it's lacking the sick metal riffs.
Brutal Doom's metal remixes should be up your alley then. It'so metal, it was approved Dethklock as "So Metal, It's Awesome". >0<

Offline Mr. Haxwell

• Totally hax
  • Master's Unit
  • The guy feeding off on your hate
    • View Profile
Reply #3848 on: July 06, 2013, 09:12:01 PM
Space Quest One (VGA), on my Dos Box. Gotta love the remastered ways of dying.

Fear me.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #3849 on: July 06, 2013, 11:38:48 PM
So Mirb's Kingdom Hearts stuff in WilyRP (and also my strange Megaman and KH crossover idea) got me thinking: What about an RPM Kingdom Heartles RP-- *is shot*

what