Computer Problem Thread

Flame · 203896

Offline Hiryu

• Capcom's Favorite futuristic ninja
  • B-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #700 on: May 24, 2013, 06:28:08 PM
Seems like a common problem possibly caused by a recent windows update, that people aren't exactly sure how to fix it.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19329818.aspx

Offline roll2.0

• Cyberelf
    • View Profile
Reply #701 on: September 13, 2013, 08:54:45 PM
Fun one I have. Friend just gave me a dell tower but missing ram hard drive and clock battery lol. uh were my money tree when i need it.

Let the music take you from this place and let it replace this awful place. *like my room*

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #702 on: September 14, 2013, 05:10:50 AM
That's considered a necropost, but since you posted some relavant information... *Sigh* I'm not a mod. I shouldn't care.

Anyways, RAM is dirt cheap. Check Amazon. A little 100GB hard drive is dirt cheap. Check Amazon. A clock battery is also also dirt cheap. Check Walgreens.

One problem though. Without the hard drive that the OS is installed on, you can't use the computer. And an OS, unfortunately, is not dirt cheap. Unless you pirate it, which is dirt free.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #703 on: September 14, 2013, 06:10:28 AM
Necroposts, so long as they contain relevant information, are fine.  Just do be mindful of the date of the last reply in the future.

As for your computer conundrum...  Do you have a working computer now?  Keep that Dell tower for parts.  You may be able to gut it at a later date and build a better computer, using the tower itself as a housing.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #704 on: September 14, 2013, 06:17:36 AM
Necroposts, so long as they contain relevant information, are fine.

This is a stickied topic though, I thought Necroposting rules didn't apply to them?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #705 on: September 14, 2013, 06:27:44 AM
They generally don't apply to stickied topics. 

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #706 on: September 14, 2013, 07:23:00 AM
Right, that's what I thought.

Anyway, less of a computer problem and more of a computer program problem here.

So I've been having issues with Firefox lately, which is why I switched to Chrome a while back. Basically, the problem is there is something that is breaking scripts in web pages.

For example, the formatting buttons on another forum I use are completely broken, they don't do anything. Chrome they work fine, and on here they work fine on Firefox, the other message board uses the same engine as this so I don't understand why the buttons aren't working.

Another problem is with certain buttons on sites like Wikipedia and some other sites, instead of doing whatever it is they're supposed to do, they instead toss me to the top of the page and add a # to the end of the address. I'm trying to see if disabling any of my add-ons will fix this but I'm doubtful it will.

Nevermind! Found out it was a bug with one of my addons! [tornado fang]ing foxreplace murders any javascript in the page when it replaces stuff for some odd reason.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #707 on: June 26, 2014, 11:31:31 PM
I have an issue.

recently, when i use Microsoft word, when I reach a new page, the bar moves to the center or near-bottom of the new page, leaving a ton of blank space.

this happens even if there's text there. so if I move the text to a new page, it goes to the bottom or middle. And yet the margins are all right, the first page doesnt have this problem. the [tornado fang] is causing this?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #708 on: June 27, 2014, 12:37:40 AM
Open the Page Setup dialogue box.  Click the Layout tab.  In the Vertical Alignment dropdown menu, make sure it says "top."  Once you have your settings the way you want them, check the "Default" box and close.

That's the solution I found on Google, and it apparently worked for the person who had the same problem.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
  • Kanako, the Moriya Shrine Goddess
    • View Profile
Reply #709 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:57 AM
  • Does anyone know of a quicker way to resize MP4 files?

• Also, what kind of hardware do I need to run the latest windows?

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #710 on: July 10, 2014, 02:26:13 AM
Windows 8 is actually less intensive than other versions. It's been highly optimized, as they were targetting going on lower end devices (ie. tablets). You won't need anything high powered. However for driver support it should still be new (within 3 years best bet) parts.

My laptop is about 5 years old, and while high powered for what it is, cannot use Windows 8 due to no driver support from HP (or ATI which surprised me) for that model.

If you have a preconfigured machine that you want to upgrade (HP, DELL, etc) check their website's drivers section for Windows 8 on your model to confirm they support it.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #711 on: July 10, 2014, 03:26:54 PM
The only compatibility issue 8 seems to have is that's it's very picky about resolutions. when I installed it on my lil Acer i had to manually edit some registry files to 'trick' it into a larger resolution so the apps would work. As long as your device has decent RAM and a large native resolution it should be fine. The apps are kind of clunky if you don't have a great processor though. At least in my experience.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #712 on: August 04, 2014, 03:23:09 AM
Can anyone help me with this "Setup_Pain2.exe"? It is causing me problems because now I cannot access my portables unless I use something like Winrar or some other program. Is this a virus or not?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #713 on: August 04, 2014, 05:58:19 AM
My Google-fu failed me as I got your topic on AnimeSuki. 

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #714 on: August 04, 2014, 11:29:07 AM
Sorry Iw as looking for help al over the place. Can you help me get rid of this thing?

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #715 on: August 04, 2014, 10:46:08 PM
I honestly have no idea what it is.  Best advice i can give is to search for it on Google.

Or... back up what you can and do a system restore.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #716 on: August 05, 2014, 02:45:06 AM
I think I discovered the problem: Have you ever heard of the Shortcut Virus? I think that is why I cannot see my files or access them. I removed them but not I have to make sure that it stays clean.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #717 on: August 05, 2014, 02:49:14 AM
I'll be doing research on that virus now.  Make sure your antivirus is up to date.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #718 on: April 06, 2015, 07:51:59 AM
My mother cannot access her MSN email account and while the reasonable thing to do would to do would be to reset the password, we cannot do so because we recently changed the phone number and the code can only go to the phone number in that account. I cannot the phone number unless we can actually go to the account and going to the alternate email account didn't work either. What can I do? I cannot help with recovering the password unless I get that code and I cannot use the usual methods. I don't want to do any hacking or anything but what shouold I do? Should I call Mircosoft? We got our accounts for free since my old man was a former Microsoft employee

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #719 on: April 06, 2015, 08:24:46 AM
There's no option to send the password request to an alternate e-mail?

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
Reply #720 on: April 06, 2015, 09:24:39 PM
If there isn't, you'll have to call Microsoft.

Offline Waifu

• Ultimate Despair
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #721 on: April 06, 2015, 10:24:49 PM
There's no option to send the password request to an alternate e-mail?

We tried that but we used up our chances and we didn't get any information.

I do know that the password is on her cell phone and the cell phone can somehow receive the emails.