Your Mega Man Series!

Acid · 15681

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
on: January 27, 2009, 11:44:55 PM
Well, Let's try this, shall we?

The most common thing next to making one's own RobotMasters/Mavericks/Biometals would be making your own Mega Man subseries. Did you ever thought about making your own? Was it a spinoff a la BN or RnR? Was it a "What if..." series using some of the official characters? Or Did you think of something that happens during the gaps between each saga?

Feel free to share your thoughts and ideas.

---

Alternatively, talk about what you would like to see if Capcom was to make a new subseries. Or do you want Capcom to finally close the holes between each series?

You have my attention now, post away.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:48:23 PM
What I've wanted for a long time now was a Mega Man Giant Mecha series, in which the son & daughter of Dr. Light pilot giant mechs based off of Rock & Roll.  Something akin to a ZOE control scheme, or even something awesome like Virtual On Twin Sticks controls for the game, with the same level of response time and speed involved.  I'd also take a Gundam VS. control scheme as well.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 11:51:50 PM
i'd never create a new MM series. i'd prefer to work with established characters in this case. i respect canon, so i wouldn't exactly fill in gaps so much as do something that isn't important to the series' growth.

and if Zero 4 taught me anything, it's that closure sucks.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Cherrykorock

• Dr Light's other creation
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Zero can divide by Zero.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:56:48 PM
Id like to see a game based off the ruby-spears Megaman cartoon. It would be a 3-d third person plat former and would use the art style and characters in the show. Not only would you be able to shoot things and jump over things it would be cool if they had a cover system like Metal Gear Solid of Gears of War so when it gets too hot you can hide till it cools down, or just sneak past enemies all together. You could also take weapons and items from enemies like a shield from a sniper joe for example. Or you could pick up a downed enemy and throw them at the enemy as a distraction. You'd have a button to lock on with but using a different button would allow free aiming so you could manually aim your buster at an exposed point while being able to move around, jump, slide, and take cover while still aiming.

Offline Protodude

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Protodude's Rockman Corner
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 12:11:14 AM
I always thought a steam punk styled series would be very interesting. I guess it would be classified this an an AU, not necessarily connected to either the Robot or "Network" timelines.

Offline Sub Tank

• Neo Arcadian
  • PHOTOBUCKET EXPIRED
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 12:19:14 AM
I've actually had a couple cool ideas for short side stories that don't have to do with anything.  They just tell a small story, while not making an impact on the canon at all.  But those are only ideas until I can assemble some sort of team.

On the topic of using already established characters, it really depends.  Usually the less dialogue, the better.  Unfortunately, whenever people are given the power to write whatever they want about already existing characters, they always try to rewrite them, and end up completely changing their personalities.  Does Wily really need to be written as some sort of crazy mastermind psycho killer badass?  I've seen it happen way too many times.  I'm sure it would be more "extreme," but it just comes off too... cheesy.

I'd prefer to see what people can come up with on their own.  Creativity should always be encouraged.

Offline The Great Gonzo

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 12:24:37 AM
I've always wondered how a "reality-warping" MM would do (well, MM having to deal with an unstable reality). Then again, I'm pretty sure Capcom wouldn't touch it.

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 12:34:22 AM
Well, Legends WAS it, except not.

The idea was to have a game that plays like Starfox Assault's on-foot mode, but without ammo to worry about except for the special weapons of bosses that you gained in very much the same way as any other Mega Man game. In fact, it's not even a different series; this is just a side series of Classic.

At any rate, it's 3D free-roaming. There are also stages like, say, Quick Man's stage, where the camera would go top-down, so you could see how you are falling, instead of relying on screen progressions/memorization. The 3D element also eliminates a lot of collision damage (particularly with bosses). That said, you could still have one-block wide platforms and linear levels (Wily stages, for sure) to replicate the same great stage design.

What else. Lock-on feature, sure. Shop akin to MM8's. One of the buttons turns you either 180, or in the direction from which you last got hit.

Then, use this same engine, except stylize it differently for any other series you wanted to use it in. It could've even been the basis for MMX:CM's navigation.

Offline Dr. Wily II

• Staring down from above as
  • RPM Knight
  • *blushes*
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009, 06:42:29 AM
Well, I did make a rather short fanfic of a subseries involving DWII, that takes place a few months after the final defeat of Dr. Wily.
The fanfic is on hold currently. ._.

I'm watching you all. Always watching.

Archer

Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 06:48:05 AM
Well, I did make a rather short fanfic of a subseries involving DWII, that takes place a few months after the final defeat of Dr. Wily.
The fanfic is on hold currently. ._.
This interests me.

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 07:27:58 AM
I have an entire fanfic series based on what I'd do if I had MM.  Crossovers.  Tons of them.  And you'd star as the robot masters .... or a choice of them anyhow.  Your opponents would be other, highly obscure, robot masters like Torchman or Expressman.  And then you'd have to fight a really powerful, warped copy of an existing robot master.  Like Cutman or something.  Except completely messed up and only superficially resembling the RM he was based on.  If that.

I'd also make it funny!

Offline RMX

• SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 09:09:38 PM
Quint games, lots of them. Explaining the bizarre future he comes from.

Offline Zan

• Master's Unit
  • Unpleasable Unhelpful Utopian Totalitarian
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 09:16:51 PM
Quint games, lots of them. Explaining the bizarre future he comes from.

Yeah, let's muddle the timeline, Zelda style!

(For all we know, though, all games after W2 are Quint games.)

Offline Gauntlet101010

• A-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
    • The Mechanical Maniacs
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:37 PM
Quint games would be fun.  Make that bizarre pogo stick actually useful and fun in a level! 

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:51:19 PM
♪ QUINT TALES (woo a-oh!)~ ♪
♪ Sakugarne is so glad to be in Quint Tales (woo a-oh!)~ ♪

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:43 AM
For a while I've dreamed of reviving the Xtreme spinoffs on the DS, except tie them to the main series plot a little closer (Xtreme2 moved slightly in that direction with Iris and the Colonel/Repliforce reference).  Explore the aftermath of X4 and X6.  The earlier should damn well have some evil guy (probably the same bald scar-eyed guy we all know) trying to take advantage of Iris's "ultimate Reploid" background.  I always thought the fact that no villain attempted to pick that up was a tremendous waste.  The latter game would deal with the cleanup after the Nightmare, the growing distrust of the Maverick Hunters, and X and Zero taking a hard look at themselves (as we all know, X's doesn't end well; maybe Zero can smack him in the head, since it's what we were all thinking at X7).

PS1 visuals, remixed soundtracks (we damn well need an X2 Zero theme remix).  And oh yeah, co-op or bust.

i'd never create a new MM series. i'd prefer to work with established characters in this case. i respect canon, so i wouldn't exactly fill in gaps so much as do something that isn't important to the series' growth.

and if Zero 4 taught me anything, it's that closure sucks.
Pretty much agreed.  Although to be honest I was glad to see the Zero-series closed (what can I say, X-series Zero is better), but Inti did a sucky job of it.  They did a great job of killing Zero, which is saying a lot after the crapfest that was X5's ending, they just neglected too much otherwise.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 05:15:30 AM
I once had this Idea of a "what if" Sigma had actually won the FIRST time around. what if the Maverick Hunters Efforts hadnt been enough. the world is this chaotic post apocalyptic place, and the remainders of the Maverick hunters  are a small group, (a resistance, if you will) that tries to rectify the situation.
Zero is in his Mk l form, (since Zero And X never even got to reach Sigmas base since he won actually some time before the events of the game) and is missing an arm. Since the Maverick Hunters are now underground resistance, and quite ill equipped, they cant make him a new one. so he wars this cape which covers that side. his helmet is also broken on a part of the front, exposing some of his hair.
X has become battle hardened, and never hesitates,...
yeah... eventually I changed it up and it became that Flame R3Boot comic I started a while back.

then theres Megaman Psycho. which is basically a Rockman Neo Ripoff, which I also posted a pic of some time ago.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Nexus

• is one random son of a
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • No one ever said all Reploids were smart.
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 05:32:48 AM
I recently imagined another game to the ZX series: Rebirth. It'd take place in a somewhat barren, rewritten world, and you'd have a choice between two different characters; a reploid male who's framed as a maverick and must fight for redemption and freedom, or a human female that investigates maverick cases who's suddenly swept up into a large conspiracy, the reploid having found Model Z and the human having Model X via family generations (Vent/Aile's grandchild, folks). Both characters would also simultaneously exist as well, mind you.  :P

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 05:47:24 AM
so would that be like, to the ZX Series like the Zero series is to the X series?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 05:54:08 AM
♪ QUINT TALES (woo a-oh!)~ ♪
♪ Sakugarne is so glad to be in Quint Tales (woo a-oh!)~ ♪

*applauds* Bravo Vixy!  This made me laugh!  XD

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 07:07:06 AM
Like Flame said, What-If scenarios would be cool.

But, having watched the premiere of this year's Kamen Rider (Decade), a single world bombarded with variations of past series' worlds would be even cooler.

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline Fragman

• Made of Metal
  • Robot Master
  • My heart is made of metal
    • View Profile
    • AntiBunny
Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 07:18:30 AM
One crazy idea I had was a game set in the far far future after humans, carbons and all intelligent life abandoned the earth and moved out into space, and rats evolved into the new dominant species, living a bronze age existence by the time they discover the discarded remnants of the robot age, and find Megaman, whom by comparison is a giant robot. 

Megaman is reactivated with the earth is invaded by alien robots, and Megaman doing what he does best fights off giant alien robots.  By giant robot of course I mean human scale robots compared to a civilization of rodents.  The game's theme is switching play styles between platforming in old human scale areas, and giant robot battles when you have to defend rat cities, so the scale changes making the boss battles much like a big godzilla slugfest.

The twist would come later that the alien robots are actually scouts for a recolonizing human civilization, so Megaman has to choose who has the right to inherit the earth.

AntiBunny

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: January 30, 2009, 01:33:39 AM
My idea was a spin off 30 years in the future after the events of Battle Network which was of course Megaman Zeta which you guys already know even though my fan fiction sucked.  The time line I'm currently thinking about now fuses the games and anime which basicly I start with 1, Network Tranmission, and 2 and skipped 4-6 and instead go into the Axess season. 

But I have no idea what to do with Battle Network 3 since the majority of Darkloids in the anime are navis from the game and the operators don't show up until Stream.  However the Alpha Revolt and resurection is a very important part of the series that never shows up in the anime and better defines Bass's character. Plus it would seem to be a good idea to have Wily give up on evil after that and not go on the whole Cybeast stuff in 6.

My story also involves stuff in other series such as cyber elves, and other things I won't mention, so when navis die they turn into cyber elves and end up in the under net.  This also aplies to humans who can Cross Fuse and anyone who was ever in a dimensional area which would be a huge chuck of the world population after that huge dimensional area that covered the entire world in Axess. 

I thought of this because I kept thinking about Beyondard in Beast where the Cyber World and real world are mixed together.  Since I'm using Cyber Eleves in the story, and since humans and Reploids turn into cyber elves when they die if they encounter cyber space before then, then it would make sense to make all the people in Beyondard who dies turn into cyber elves.  Since the mix in the Real and Cyber world occured because of the dimensional area lab I made it work for all dimensional areas.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 07:24:49 PM by Sakura »

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline HyperSonicEXE

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: January 30, 2009, 01:37:06 AM
The Quint thing reminds me, I had an idea about Enker showing up in the X series, and has to struggle (being a Wily bot) choosing between right and wrong. He'd eventually have a Light and Dark armor along with his normal one (names are tentative), and his fighting style changes with each.

It's one thing to put blatant darkness in the story; it's another to make it a character struggle, especially when Zero's already on the good team.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 04:11:47 AM
I've always wanted to make a Manga of my own, that takes place just prior to Mega Man 6.
It would be my excuse to give more development to the different robot masters, especially Centaur Man. ;o