Sonic Returns In New 2D, HD Game

Kirby Pink · 52573

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: September 09, 2009, 05:38:38 AM
I like how the figure in the emblem doesn't look like Sonic.
I was trying to avoid the thought.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: September 09, 2009, 05:40:11 AM
No. NO!

Dammit, Sega, NO! NO! NO! NO!

You can't keep throwing "...Returning back to his roots" in my face! It's lost all meaning years ago, and it's not going to work! Especially when you keep adding in "speed-based gameplay" along with it!

It hasn't worked on me since Sonic Rush, and you're not going to sucker this guy, again.

The only, and I repeat, ONLY way you're going to get me to look so much at another Sonic game again, is through these things being promised:

a) Actual Momentum-based gameplay, like the older titles
b) Non-realistic Earth setting
c) limiting of "friends" (talking like no more than like Sonic, Tails, Knux and Vector, at most). Or hell, no friends at all, would be fine, too.
d) Eggman/Robotnik, along with Metal Sonic, are the main bad guys, and ONLY bad-guys. No more "evil demons" that are randomly found for some reason.
e) Super Sonic is available for casual, in-level play, after you collect all those damn emeralds.
f) Imaginative level design

If you can't promise me that, then, sorry, you're not getting my money for a Sonic game. Ever again. You leave that to your gullible fans and children's parents.

Look, Sega!  Look at what you've done to this man!

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: September 09, 2009, 05:40:41 AM
Sonic Advance 1-3 and Sonic Adventure Rush 1 and 2 was good.
Cause it sticked to 2D run. Sure, Rush had cutscenes , but they wasn't bad as the 3D games.
I played some Black Knight earlier today. My god, some of the missions are just ...annoying. Sonic Unleashed was okay, the day stages was awsome, but the Werehog...L and R to punch... >_<
Advance was awesome.

also, you were playing the Wii version of unleashed? once you get that 360, buy yourself the REAL version. and exerience the awesomeness of New York Empire City

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: September 09, 2009, 05:41:09 AM
I was trying to avoid the thought.

Can you imagine though? If it's some sort of other character, there's a chance tons of people won't try this game.
Then again, if it's good, well then, let's hope they don't mess it up.

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #29 on: September 09, 2009, 05:42:41 AM
Can you imagine though? If it's some sort of other character, there's a chance tons of people won't try this game.
You mean like a new character?
Silver, that fox... and the amount of Shadow Clones...

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: September 09, 2009, 05:42:42 AM
I'm just hoping its not "Hold-Right and win, every stage has bottomless pits" Sonic Advance 2 style... I hate that game. Sonic Rush wasn't too bad actually, I would like it to be like that.

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #31 on: September 09, 2009, 05:43:44 AM
I'm just hoping its not "Hold-Right and win, every stage has bottomless pits" Sonic Advance 2 style... I hate that game.

I like SA2! I did tons of time trails for that game. ;3

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: September 09, 2009, 05:45:12 AM
0:36:57 doesn't seem all that great...

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: September 09, 2009, 05:46:03 AM
I loved the boss music in A2.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: September 09, 2009, 05:46:48 AM
Mainly I had 3 things to complain about in that game.

1. The method of getting to the special stage. (7 Special Rings, if you die you lose them all) And the Special Stage itself.

2. The god damn wheel boss with the hand that does 1 hit Kills.

3. ALL THOSE [tornado fang]ing PITS THAT ARE 100m DEEP. Why they couldn't make them more shallow is beyond me.

Btw, I think S2 is overrated *Shot*.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: September 09, 2009, 05:47:35 AM
I'm just hoping its not "Hold-Right and win, every stage has bottomless pits" Sonic Advance 2 style... I hate that game. Sonic Rush wasn't too bad actually, I would like it to be like that.

If it was a mix of the Advance and Rush games, that'd be pretty cool. If they got rid of the bad points of each game; Rush had terribly placed enemies, and Advance had terribly placed pits, it'd be fantastic. Then again, Rush had some pretty badly placed pits too.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 05:48:53 AM

If it was some "new" character, then maybe that might be the best way to try and market the damn game to guys like me. Because guys like me have gotten to the point where we are "sick and tired, of being sick and tired".

I mean, my thinking is...if it was a new character and a new game, then it would have a chance of being free from ALL OF THE BULLSHIT that the Sonic franchise has accumulated over the years, and could be something unto itself, to say the least. And by freeing itself from the bullshit, I'm talking about the post Genesis era games, the fanbase....EVERYTHING associated with the brand, now-a-days.

For all I care, it could be a new 2D "Sonic game", that plays EXACTLY like the 3&K/CD games I desire so much....but stars Mighty the Armadillo (the runner-up to the original character design), instead, and gives him a new villain to fill the Eggman role. I wouldn't care that much, really. Something like this would be a nice "compromise", such that older fans can have what we want, and Sega can continue to market their....*ahem* "wares" to the current Sonic audience.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 05:50:02 AM
@ Harruhy: Well, Since its from the ground up, Im assuming EVERYTHING will be different.

But now, should we start guessing the release format? I mean, how long is this going to be? just how much HD is it? how does it run, work ETC.

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: September 09, 2009, 05:52:38 AM
Well, like every other game, we can start guessing, and hoping.
But like most games, it won't be what we hoped for.
Unless it's even better.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #39 on: September 09, 2009, 05:53:31 AM
I want them to compose the music with the Yamaha YM2512 sound.
And bring back past composers.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: September 09, 2009, 05:54:22 AM
@ Ben: In MY opinion, after heroes it started to Go bad. since I for one, liked Heroes. Cant see why people keep whining about it. "Its the same stages!" So? they have differences depending on what team you play as. The most major being team Chaotix. STHH was alright by me, but if they still had the SA1-SH VA's, it probably wouldnt have been as bad. actually, I wouldnt mind a remake of STHH, do it right. kind of like how SHadow played in Sonic 06. Thats how he should have played in the previous game. Sonic 06 had potential too, but the only stories I found interesting were Shadow and Silver's. Sonic's was... I dunno. Didnt like it. and something about the story was just wrong. I dug Eggmans Nifty design, but then they throw it out. It was pretty cool. We get to see that he actually has  a pair of eyes under his Pince Nez's

And Sonic Unleashed was good, but just didnt eel like a mainstream Sonic title... It felt too much like a side story.

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #41 on: September 09, 2009, 05:54:51 AM
0:36:57 doesn't seem all that great...
Oh and you can do better?  :\
@ Harruhy: Well, Since its from the ground up, Im assuming EVERYTHING will be different.

But now, should we start guessing the release format? I mean, how long is this going to be? just how much HD is it? how does it run, work ETC.

Not the Wii of course. It's most likely Ps3 and Xbox 360. Why?
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 05:57:11 AM
Oh and you can do better?

Dunno, probably.

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 05:58:30 AM
No. NO!

Dammit, Sega, NO! NO! NO! NO!

You can't keep throwing "...Returning back to his roots" in my face! It's lost all meaning years ago, and it's not going to work! Especially when you keep adding in "speed-based gameplay" along with it!

It hasn't worked on me since Sonic Rush, and you're not going to sucker this guy, again.

The only, and I repeat, ONLY way you're going to get me to look so much at another Sonic game again, is through these things being promised:

a) Actual Momentum-based gameplay, like the older titles
b) Non-realistic Earth setting
c) limiting of "friends" (talking like no more than like Sonic, Tails, Knux and Vector, at most). Or hell, no friends at all, would be fine, too.
d) Eggman/Robotnik, along with Metal Sonic, are the main bad guys, and ONLY bad-guys. No more "evil demons" that are randomly found for some reason.
e) Super Sonic is available for casual, in-level play, after you collect all those damn emeralds.
f) Imaginative level design

If you can't promise me that, then, sorry, you're not getting my money for a Sonic game. Ever again. You leave that to your gullible fans and children's parents.

[tornado fang]ing Seconded, I thought Unleashed was a step in the right direction, but there were still quite a few muck-ups. If this is nothing more than Sonic 1 or CD or whatever in HD, then they've officially run out of ideas. I mean, Capcom releasing MvC2 on Arcade was one thing, they have a healthy enough reputation to allow making a game like that a big deal, especially when the game WAS a big deal when it first came out and pre-rerelease, used copies were going for an easy 80 bucks. Sega on the other hand, needs to start doing something else with their time rather than trying to bring back Sonic for cash.

Offline Kirby Pink

• Joker
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • "I play a card."
    • View Profile
    • Sprite Album
Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 05:58:48 AM
Dunno, probably.
I'd like too see you try. :3

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: September 09, 2009, 06:01:39 AM
I'd like too see you try. :3

I bet you would, but I don't feel like wasting the amount of time it takes (less than 0:36:57) on you.

Besides, the topic is about the new game. Don't get sidetracked now. :D

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 06:02:06 AM
Wait wait wait....

...What if....Sonic used a Chainsaw in this game, and fought Robot Zombies?

Sonic and the Underworld.  

HUH?  HUH?   8D

Offline Harruhy

• OOGLE BOOGLE
  • SA-Class Hunter
    • View Profile
Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 06:03:19 AM
I was thinking something along the lines of Madworld and Sonic when you said the bit about the chainsaw.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 06:04:15 AM
What if it wasn't just any chainsaw...but a rocket propelled chainsaw?

Offline Pringer X

• Ultimate Super Robot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • Pringer Beam!
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 06:04:24 AM
I was thinking something along the lines of Madworld and Sonic when you said the bit about the chainsaw.

I thought of Dead Rising meets Sonic <.<