Converting VisualBoyAdvance-M *sav files to *srm for RetroArch?

ViperAcidZX · 15864

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
I have a bunch of old game save data for Gameboy Advance games I was emulating with VisualBoyAdvance-M but I want to switch over to RetroArch's mGBA core since it has more features and improvements that VisualBoyAdvance-M doesn't have like adjusting sunlight with the solar sensor for Boktai. The save files from VisualBoyAdvance-M are *sav files and I was wondering if there's a way to convert them to *srm files for RetroArch to use.

Offline Amatiramisu

• 6-4 Blackbird
  • Legendary Hero
  • Stand by, Pilot!
    • View Profile
I'm of no help here but you know Boktai on emulator SHOULD have a feature where you can use L + up/down to adjust sunlight at will. It might've been a modded ROM when I tried it but anyways it's been years.

I haven't tried mGBA myself but I'll look it up later in the day if you don't get an answer.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
To save you some time and confusion with mGBA, the standalone emulator still uses *sav files like VisualBoyAdvance and I have tested it Astro Boy: Omega Factor with the save file I have for that game and I was able to continue on where I last left off rather than start anew, so switching from the VisualBoyAdvance to mGBA as standalone emulators is no problem. However RetroArch uses the *srm format to store save data for most of the systems it emulates. If worst comes to worse, I guess I can tell my LaunchBox set-up to use the standalone mGBA instead of RetroArch's mGBA core to replace VisualBoyAdvance-M. Also, I tried an unmodified ROM of Boktai on VisualBoyAdvance-M and it gave me some Windows error messages when I tried to set the in-game clock and timezone, then I got a "Solar Sensor is Broken" message the minute the game started and it stopped playing.

-EDIT-
Okay so I just found that you can re-name the extension of the *sav files from other emulators and they can work with RetroArch. I tested with an old save that I have of Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and all of my progress is still there from VisualBoyAdvance-M. I guess I can close this thread now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 07:20:12 PM by ViperAcidZX »