The new next-gen 2013 Xbox reveal (discussions here)

VixyNyan · 67972

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #250 on: June 03, 2013, 06:12:05 PM
Nah I meant the toilet that the failed consoles of gaming fell into, like the 3DO and CDi.

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #251 on: June 03, 2013, 06:29:31 PM
The sad thing is that there will be a large segment of the population who will buy this thing.  While the sales may be low, I doubt that they'll be shockingly low.  There are sheep among us, unfortunately.

However, if we stick to our guns, there will be a larger segment who will not buy the system.  That segment is the segment that Microsoft would want to buy the system--the gamers.  But, if only the general non-gaming public buy it, it may flop.

Here's hoping.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #252 on: June 03, 2013, 06:31:37 PM
Yeah same here, I know there are people who will buy this piece of [parasitic bomb] but I really hope something happens.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #253 on: June 03, 2013, 06:36:37 PM
As I stated before, there are a shitload of Microsoft loyalists who will buy this thing. They'll ignore the huge list of dumb features and [parasitic bomb] games just to have the next Xbox system.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #254 on: June 03, 2013, 07:04:22 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/ms-says-gamers-will-buy-everything-including-xbox-one-254678.phtml

They are just calling us sheep now.

If you consider the fact that people continued to support the 360 when it's failure rate was over 50%, he's not exactly wrong.

Offline Sakura Leic

• RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #255 on: June 03, 2013, 07:04:51 PM
If you consider the fact that people continued to support the 360 when it's failure rate was over 50%, he's not exactly wrong.
Yeah I guess you got a pont there. :\

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #256 on: June 03, 2013, 07:10:31 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYso30L9zI
[/youtube]

Yeah, unfortunately he isn't wrong.

shitload of Microsoft loyalists

Offline Ahrzayl

• Crisis Strawberry
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Super Psycho Sweety
    • View Profile
Reply #257 on: June 03, 2013, 07:42:22 PM
What? No, I'm totally getting this. Didn't you guys see all the awesome features it has? And omg, EA's even partnered with them?! WIN! Ohhh, man and that awesome controller. It looks almost exactly like the first one! Think it's great too that...

EXTREME SARCASM -explodes-

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #258 on: June 03, 2013, 08:15:53 PM
I wonder how long it will take for someone to hack that thing...

I'm betting within the same month of its release.

Offline Ahrzayl

• Crisis Strawberry
  • B-Class Hunter
  • Super Psycho Sweety
    • View Profile
Reply #259 on: June 03, 2013, 09:51:44 PM
I'm giving it two weeks. I know some lads waiting to get their mits on that hardware.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #260 on: June 03, 2013, 10:03:38 PM
Vita was cracked after what, five weeks?

I wanna see how fast the OS on this thing is ripped to shreds.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #261 on: June 03, 2013, 10:29:48 PM
As a developer I try to keep an open mind and not jump to conclusions on platforms until I have a lot more info, or some hands on time. As an example, Windows8 sounded like the worst thing ever, but I actually ended up liking it more than 7 almost.

Microsoft is making it incredibly hard to not get worried though. This consistent bad attitude to consumers, and developers alike, is starting to get frustrating and making me wonder about the true viability in this next console. I know we don't have all the details yet, so I could be off base in my worries, and I accept any "I told you so" after the fact.

As a gamer this console seems to be lacking many things I want, and adding in many things I don't care about. I don't think I need beat a dead horse but I'll elaborate my points of concern which are: used games, no backwards compatibility, cloud servers, and discouraging indie developers.

The used games thing for me is not much of a deal breaker, because I prefer to buy all my games new to support the companies who make them. I do miss out on other games as a result of the higher price though, and some people just don't have the luxury to buy all new, or prefer to get more used games at a lower price, than a few new games at a higher price. I personally have only purchased about 4 used games in my entire life as a gamer. Two of which (EarthBound and Chrono Trigger) were out of print and sold out at the time. To which I paid $60. I regret nothing, and would do it again with pleasure. While digital titles makes this availability thing less of an issue, more issues arise as a result and combine to paint a bleak picture...

No backwards compatibility is something I am growing increasingly concerned about as hardware begins to fail more often within a console lifetime these days, which basically is a huge gamble that you will be able to play older games at all 10 years later. Games, as art, don't deserve to have a finite time period where you can enjoy it. Not allowing backwards compatibility is really hurting long term exposure for some developers as well, and just punishing gamers who happen to like older games or may not have discovered them until later. This same issue also punishes new gamers who never had the opportunity to play the older titles. How many of us have discovered an NES, SNES, or Genesis game 10, 15, 20 years later, and ended up really liking it? I've seen games on Nintendo's Virtual console that I never played before. I then also purchased, and liked them. And while, the elephant in the room, emulation is making this preservation easier for gamers, how many PS2 emulators do you see around after the system released 13 years ago? Let alone ones that work with wide support on games and little issues? It is getting too hard and time consuming to make them now. For the real kicker, we roll into the next point.

Cloud computing and the online requirements, big or small, are ruining the longevity of games. For an MMO title it is a huge issue that if the company goes down, or the cost of maintenance outshines the income of the game, that the servers get shut down and the game is effectively lost. There are some good legitimate reasons for this to happen, and I can't effectively blame the developers when it just doesn't work out right. But now we're adding in online requirements to games that don't need it. What happens when EA decides SimCity isn't pulling in the money anymore? Just like their other games, they will eventually shut down the servers. If you're a legitimate paying customer, who isn't hacking their game, you are screwed. The game no longer operates. What if EA was not lying, and the online service did actually perform needed calculations to run the game? Then you wouldn't even be able to hack it out. It would be gone forever, unless EA released the server software for others to support independently. We know this is NOT going to happen.

Microsoft is now putting the power of always online DRM in the hands of the console developer, and giving developers a platform to explicitly add in some cloud server calculations which could be for the sole purpose of total product domination. When their servers go down, or the next Xbox is shipped and One's service is cut off, your game stops working FOREVER. This is what bugs me the most. We could see some games that have an availability for roughly 6 years then be unplayable forever after that.

Microsoft is also very much against indie developers. Their system for dealing with indies has never been the best, and they're not only keeping that stance but making it even worse. I am not willing to sell out and jump on with a publisher just to get a shot at being on this console. Likewise since they are restructuring their online marketplace allegedly, making it even harder to find indie games, it is hard to imagine any reason I have to approach Microsoft with a game for their console as opposed to just hitting up Sony and Nintendo who are making great strides for all developers these days.

That's my current take on the matter. I hope they turn things around, but at this rate I'll find it very hard to support them as a gamer or developer. I have no qualms about missing Xbox exclusives and not buying this system. Which is a shame because I really liked my 360, and felt it was a good console with some genuine advantages to it.

Also for the record, their first press conference doesn't bug me. They needed to get the extra stuff out of the way anyway, and I really believe they are saving most of the game talk for E3.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #262 on: June 03, 2013, 10:36:30 PM
I heard that Microsoft will be doing similar things with their next Windows release.  If that's the case, people would be migrating to Mac and Linux in droves, or simply not upgrading, ever.

At least, that's what I like to think.  I've seen the dark side of the average computer user.  They're attracted to new, shiny things like moths to a porch light.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #263 on: June 03, 2013, 11:09:35 PM
Devs were already talking about abandoning Windows before Windows 8 even came out because of how closed it seemed to be. So that doesn't surprise me at all, Quickie.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #264 on: June 04, 2013, 01:52:45 AM
Microsoft is also very much against indie developers. Their system for dealing with indies has never been the best, and they're not only keeping that stance but making it even worse. I am not willing to sell out and jump on with a publisher just to get a shot at being on this console. Likewise since they are restructuring their online marketplace allegedly, making it even harder to find indie games, it is hard to imagine any reason I have to approach Microsoft with a game for their console as opposed to just hitting up Sony and Nintendo who are making great strides for all developers these days.
I don't get why they let a lot (and I mean a LOT) of developers publish horribly programed and terrible games on Xbox LIVE though.

Devs were already talking about abandoning Windows before Windows 8 even came out because of how closed it seemed to be. So that doesn't surprise me at all, Quickie.
I'm not sure if that's the case with Japanese doujin game developers since most doujin games are being made to work on Windows XP nowadays.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #265 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:44 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMYso30L9zI
[/youtube]
That was absolutely hilarious...

More of an "apples to oranges" comparison when we cross into the 2D barrier, but I also recall collecting a Star Man in Super Mario World's "Star World 2"...

Cloud computing and the online requirements, big or small, are ruining the longevity of games. For an MMO title it is a huge issue that if the company goes down, or the cost of maintenance outshines the income of the game, that the servers get shut down and the game is effectively lost. There are some good legitimate reasons for this to happen, and I can't effectively blame the developers when it just doesn't work out right. But now we're adding in online requirements to games that don't need it. What happens when EA decides SimCity isn't pulling in the money anymore? Just like their other games, they will eventually shut down the servers. If you're a legitimate paying customer, who isn't hacking their game, you are screwed. The game no longer operates. What if EA was not lying, and the online service did actually perform needed calculations to run the game? Then you wouldn't even be able to hack it out. It would be gone forever, unless EA released the server software for others to support independently. We know this is NOT going to happen.

Microsoft is now putting the power of always online DRM in the hands of the console developer, and giving developers a platform to explicitly add in some cloud server calculations which could be for the sole purpose of total product domination. When their servers go down, or the next Xbox is shipped and One's service is cut off, your game stops working FOREVER. This is what bugs me the most. We could see some games that have an availability for roughly 6 years then be unplayable forever after that.
It's absolutely staggering to me how difficult it is to get the larger publishers to understand this.  I mean, sure, what do they give a damn if they're not printing the game anymore?  But the thing is, if they have *ANY* sense of a PR department, the benefit is pretty damn obvious in the "forward thinking" area alone, nevermind the whole "you don't have to worry about overloaded servers on release day" thing, which also kinda smacks you in the face.

Oh yeah, and uh, PSN hacking incident anyone?

The industry doesn't do a good job of preservation.  Heck, just look at the Mega Man franchise: For as much as Capcom LOVES to resell the same NES games, they've been ignoring the larger part of the Super NES and PS1 libraries for a variety of reasons (some in and some out of their control), even though the technology has been in place for ages.  The idea that we're expected to trust a hardware manufacturer and/or a big-name publisher that their servers will be operational for as long as we're interested in the game, it's ludicrous.  At least MMOs have the excuse of being a necessary evil, justifying the "online" aspect of the gameplay.

I don't see how building an entire console to that mentality (24 hour break supported or not) can possibly be to the benefit of anyone.  Unfortunately, yeah, Microsoft has an uncanny ability to throw money around to push a questionable product into the masses.  So...just because it's a bad idea, doesn't necessarily mean it will "fail" to the mass market.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #266 on: June 07, 2013, 12:45:03 AM
You guys heard about the apparent problems the One is having in production, necessitating a GPU Clock downgrade?

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #267 on: June 07, 2013, 01:01:18 AM
With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

The bolded part is new. But yes, you heard right, even without an internet connection you can still use your Xbox one to play your collection of Blu-Ray and DVD Movies or watch Live TV, just like... playing your collection Blu-Ray and DVD Movies or watching Live TV without an Xbone.

Microsoft has cancelled its #E3 post-press conference roundtable w/ the media. Not sure what to make of that.

Apparently this too.

Posted on: June 06, 2013, 05:54:58 PM
Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

This sounds new too. "Each game can only be given once" sounds like "You can't lend, only give away and only once."

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #268 on: June 07, 2013, 06:26:08 PM
And only to friends on a friends list.  Guess you can't get games from yard sales anymore.

Is it any wonder why I don't really bother with upgrading gaming systems, aside from the daunting price tag?

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #269 on: June 12, 2013, 07:09:31 AM
Remember when Game consoles were all about just popping a disc/cart in and pressing the on button?

[spoiler]
Peppridge Farm remembers.
[/spoiler]

those were the days.

Posted on: June 07, 2013, 11:07:56 AM

>Different box
>Same controller just with some text on it
>Achievement

GIBE $100 MORE PLOX

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #270 on: June 12, 2013, 07:22:02 AM
AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #271 on: June 12, 2013, 07:25:53 AM
> over $9000 $100 more than it should be
> bloasted with horseshit DRM, region-locking, dogs, sports and TV nonsense
> achievement

Hmmmmm no [tornado fang]ing way.

P.S.
[tornado fang] you for stealing a game I wanted on my Xbox 360, you [sonic slicer]. o//////o

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #272 on: June 12, 2013, 07:27:50 AM

>Different box
>Same controller just with some text on it
>Achievement

GIBE $100 MORE PLOX

...is this real?

Offline Solar

• SHSL Solar Boy
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #273 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:12 AM

My life is currently bears and Jojos and everything is great.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #274 on: June 12, 2013, 07:54:14 AM

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations