Rate each voice for X (English or Japanese, Mega Man X games only)

Sigma Zero X · 2744

Poll

Who is your favorite voice actor (or actress) for Mega Man X?

Megumi Ogata (X1)
1 (10%)
Kentarou Itou (X4)
0 (0%)
Ruth Shiraishi (X4)
0 (0%)
Showtaro Morikubo (X5-X7)
1 (10%)
Peter Von Gumm (X7)
0 (0%)
Mark Gatha (CM, X8, MHX)
7 (70%)
Takahiro Sakurai (CM, X8, MHX)
1 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Offline Sigma Zero X

• Cool Mirage Diver
  • Robot Master
  • "Here We Go!"
    • View Profile
    • Sigma Zero X's Mega Man X Videos
I read over a certain thread here and decided to go on with doing this thread.  As the thread says, rate each voice actor and actress who did X's voice in the Mega Man X games.  They can range from a stint of a few words (Megumi Ogata in X1) to contributing for the whole game (most of the other voice actors.)  Don't forget to vote in the poll.  Because this is a subforum about the Mega Man X games and not the Zero/ZX games, I left out Takahiro Mizushima from the poll.

*Suspects Gatha's going to win the poll.  But whatever.

Here are my opinions of each voice for X:

Megumi Ogata (X1) - Who really cares if X's voice was done by a female here?  Despite doing a one/two word stint as the voice of X in the SNES version of X1, she did a great job of doing X's Hadoken voice.  I just can't seem to get that innocent, yet strong, voice off my head.  Megumi Ogata's voice fits well with X's age specifications and pacifist personality IMO.  It may have been simplistic or a performance of a stint, but the stood out for me for some reason that I have hard time explaining (and it is not nostalgia.)   I like Ogata's performance as X a lot to the point where she is my favorite voice for X (with Takahiro Sakurai coming in a very close second, and Gatha in a very close third.)

Kentarou Itou (X4) - He did a good job as X in Rockman X4 and he fits X's role.  However, I prefer the voices of Megumi Ogata, Showtaro Morikubo, and Takahiro Sakurai.

Ruth Shiraishi (X4) - I know that I am in the minority here, but I actually like her voice as X here.  Sure Shiraishi made X sound like a little girl, but ironically for me, it brought out the innocent side of X.  I used to despise her voice, but Shiraishi's voice as X eventually grew on me to the point where I honestly like it.  It definitely is on the lower end of the voice actor comparison, but I am satisfied with the performance overall.

Showtaro Morikubo (X5-X7) - I really liked his performance as X. Morikubo consistently performed well.  I can't say anything bad about this one.  However, he isn't my favorite because I am used to other voices more.

Peter Von Gumm (X7) - I kind of like his voice, but I felt that it could have been better.  While Von Gumm put up a cool effort and has a voice fitting for X's age, I did not feel that Von Gumm's voice fitted with X's character.  X is a pacifist and one who is willing to take action most of the time.  Von Gumm's voice sounded too nerdy for X and also sounded like that he was just there just for the sake of being there, even during time when X really fought hard.

Mark Gatha (CM, X8, MHX) - I am so used to hearing Gatha as X a lot and I really like it.  He really made X sound like his age and really showed emotions that fits X's character.  Like Morikubo, I can't say anything bad about this one either, yet he isn't my favorite either. 

Takahiro Sakurai (CM, X8, MHX) - Same deal as Gatha, but when I hear him, he stood out compared to most of the voice actors/actresses.  His calm voice and his fighting cries really stood out.

It was a hard decision for me to pick my favorites.  It took time to come up with pros and cons of each voice.  But in the end, I like all of the voice actors and actresses who did X's voice in the various Mega Man X games. 

"Well.  This is just delightful!" - Marino, from Mega Man X Command Mission

Archer

Unless its Command Mission or something I really couldn't care less about the voice.

I'm not there to listen to him talk.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Well I like Shotaro Morikubo for the Jap voice, though Mark Gatha will always be the best voice for the English dub.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.