Ono (producer of S/SF4) tweet-teases: "Something bigger than SSF4 is coming!"

HokutoNoBen · 4662

Offline HokutoNoBen

• We Are Living! Living in 90s...90s...90s...
  • RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ono
Super SF4 on sale!! SuperSF4 is nothing compared to what's coming!!

- http://twitter.com/Yoshi_OnoChin/status/17640942374

Dare I hope that Ono finally got the green-light to make the Darkstalkers sequel he wants so much to make? It really seems all too fitting, considering it's following right on the heels of earlier this week: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2010/jun/30/ono-pitching-new-darkstalkers-title-more-alts-ssf4/#comments

If ol boy Inafune liked it, then I guess this is going to happen! At LAST!  *o* *o*

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
I sure hope it's Darkstalkers 4 with high definition sprites on 3rdStrike's level of animation.

And every character's Midnight Bliss'd version as an alternative costume.

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Super Street Fighter 5?  XD

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
I sure hope it's Darkstalkers 4 with high definition sprites on 3rdStrike's level of animation.

And every character's Midnight Bliss'd version as an alternative costume.
Seconded! :D

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile

Would be nice. Too bad 2D Capcom is dead. Ono and Nitsuma (TvC, MvC3) both have gone on to say as such, and it's basically due to the notion that a) Capcom doesn't have the sprite-making force any longer and b) 2D is not mainstream any more.

The best we can hope is another well made MT Framework-constructed game with an interesting artstyle (better than SF4's, at any rate), along with gmaeplay that can live up to Vampire Savior or better.

Besides, if you want "M-Bliss'd" versions of characters playable, that sort of thing is much easier with 3D any way. 8D

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Natural Selection, my FPS of choice
I seriously can't imagine something of Capcoms that could be considered a bigger deal than SF4 was... at least not to the general public.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Does it have to be a fighting game? He could be working on something else.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Does it have to be a fighting game? He could be working on something else.

For the most part, what we can say about most internal producers' role in the Japanese Capcom arena doesn't change that drastically now-a-days. For example, Horinuchi is going to a producer for the Rockman series likely until the day he gets a promotion or he retires/quits. Kobayashi is still in charge of Devil May Cry and Sengoku BASARA. Nitsuma was the producer for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and now is doing such for MvC3. Etc., etc.

So, like it or not, Ono is a fighting game producer. That's his responsibility. And not one he shirks, considering he's wanted to do a Darkstalkers fighting game for seemingly eons now. 8D

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
DASH 3!!!

*shot*

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
I don't think they would consider Darkstalkers to be bigger than Street Fighter.

I am curious to see what they have in store. As always; fruitlessly hoping for Legends 3.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
For the most part, what we can say about most internal producers' role in the Japanese Capcom arena doesn't change that drastically now-a-days. For example, Horinuchi is going to a producer for the Rockman series likely until the day he gets a promotion or he retires/quits. Kobayashi is still in charge of Devil May Cry and Sengoku BASARA. Nitsuma was the producer for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, and now is doing such for MvC3. Etc., etc.

So, like it or not, Ono is a fighting game producer. That's his responsibility. And not one he shirks, considering he's wanted to do a Darkstalkers fighting game for seemingly eons now. 8D

But something BIGGER than Street Fighter...

Capcom has a few franchises which they're very proud of. MvsC, Megaman, Street Fighter, Resident Evil...

Heck, might be Legends 3 as some people say. Then again, don't bet on it. =P

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
But something BIGGER than Street Fighter...

Well, you gotta examine the source.

1) This is ONO we're talking about here. A fighting game producer, whose most recent projects were SF4 and its upgrade. He has about as much reason to talk about anything Rockman-related on his blogs/tweets, as Kobayashi does about Onimusha. If more people paid attention to such things, there probably wouldn't have been so much butt-hurt when people found out that count-down that occurred about this time last year was for Sengoku BASARA 3 and not another Onimusha game. 8D

2) Ono's tweet is clearly some thing that showcases that he probably took something closer to raw JP and possibly ran it through a machine translator. But in any case, "SuperSF4 is nothing compared to what's coming!!" probably does more to indicate his own personal hype for his new project, not so much that it will be "bigger than SF4", as the blog post that I did more to cite from GAF may portray. 8D

But in any case, what Ono is talking is definitely talking about what he did earlier this week, when he had his time with Inafune. And not likely anything else.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
But in any case, what Ono is talking is definitely talking about what he did earlier this week, when he had his time with Inafune. And not likely anything else.
Your two reasons are fair, but wouldn't this last point justify the "different thing other than a fighter"?

Hell, maybe it's a new franchise!

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA no, this is Capcom we're talking about.  8D

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Your two reasons are fair, but wouldn't this last point justify the "different thing other than a fighter"?

Not really. Inafune is the current head of Capcom R&D, which basically makes him the designated HNIC amongst all the Executive Producers. If you, as an internal producer, want to get a game proposal to see the light of day, you have to "sell" your idea to him. If Inafking likes it, you can then get something started.

You need not look any further than what happened "last time", really:

Quote from: Wiki
...Before producer Yoshinori Ono pitched the idea to Capcom R&D head Keiji Inafune, the prevailing attitude around Capcom was that a new numeric entry to the Street Fighter series would not be made. Initially, there was much resistance to Ono's pitch for a new Street Fighter game so many years after the original. However, in light of fan demand plus the positive reaction to Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting on Xbox Live Arcade, Inafune eventually allowed the project to begin.[20]

- 20: Bettenhausen, Shane. "The Big Comeback". EGM (Ziff Davis): pp. 62–72.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Not really. Inafune is the current head of Capcom R&D, which basically makes him the designated HNIC amongst all the Executive Producers. If you, as an internal producer, want to get a game proposal to see the light of day, you have to "sell" your idea to him. If Inafking likes it, you can then get something started.

You need not look any further than what happened "last time", really:

- 20: Bettenhausen, Shane. "The Big Comeback". EGM (Ziff Davis): pp. 62–72.
Inafune might want several teams working on this, though. Might be a BIG project Capcom have got going on, and they'd rather not tell.

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Maybe it's a Megaman All-Star Fighters game?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Why just Mega Man?

Capcom Fighting game!

Offline Align

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
But then we wouldn't have all the important megaman characters (like Ciel) in a single fighting game, since they'd have to make space for all the other, boring characters!

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
No, your all wrong. It has to do with Capcom's first mascot.

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
You referring Captain Commando?

Offline Black Mage J

• Sucking on fingers.
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Of course! Only I would enjoy something like that.

Offline OBJECTION MAN

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Of course! Only I would enjoy something like that.

You are not alone.

TWITCH   ➧ TWITTER   ➧ DISCORD   ➧ MY GAMES

Knockout Mondays
Experimental day: Fighting game engine project Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

WIP Wednesdays
Hamster Drop Gold Edition Live Gamedev (8PM - 10 PM EST)

Weekend Game Hangout
Marc, Amber, & Friends (Saturday Evening EST)

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
A Captain Commando game would actually be pretty awesome.

...also, does anyone other than me think Captain Commando's an obvious Booster Gold ripoff? =P Design-wise, it reminds me of him ALOT.

Offline HokutoNoBen

• RPM Soldier
  • Nyohohoho~!
    • View Profile
Inafune might want several teams working on this, though. Might be a BIG project Capcom have got going on, and they'd rather not tell.

Again though, to me this all seems pretty straight-forward. This is the same guy who's been basically doing everything and including up to pleading to fans of Vampire to hit up Capcom, so that he can get the opportunity to work on a game. For the last two years, no less. He got a chance to sell his idea to Inafune last week, and he "won out". In cases like this, the most straight forward answer is usually the best one.

Also, for the most part, we can say this about Capcom's production studios now-a-days: there's not much in the way of intersection. Ono's team (SF4) and Nitsuma's team (TvC,MvC3) are both fighting game development teams, but they haven't collaborated for any of their past projects and have no plans to do as such in the future. They actually preferred the notion of bringing in outsiders like Dimps (SF4) and Eighting (TvC), as opposed to any "internal" help from other Capcom teams.

That's why Capcom, and hell, a number of Japanese companies has these multiple "Production Studios" for this very reason. The different teams are allowed to govern themselves and work autonomously. And believe it or not, the notion of how there is "competition" amongst these various teams inside such companies is still alive and well, to a good extent. That's why you don't see "big scale collaboration efforts" comprising of several teams at once. If Ono and Niitsuma weren't forced to work together for the sake of MvC3 (which should be a fairly big deal for Capcom), then we're likely never to see them work together on a fighting game together. And maybe, that might be for the best, giving the two's decidedly different approaches on fighting games...  

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Again though, to me this all seems pretty straight-forward. This is the same guy who's been basically doing everything and including up to pleading to fans of Vampire to hit up Capcom, so that he can get the opportunity to work on a game. For the last two years, no less. He got a chance to sell his idea to Inafune last week, and he "won out". In cases like this, the most straight forward answer is usually the best one.

Also, for the most part, we can say this about Capcom's production studios now-a-days: there's not much in the way of intersection. Ono's team (SF4) and Nitsuma's team (TvC,MvC3) are both fighting game development teams, but they haven't collaborated for any of their past projects and have no plans to do as such in the future. They actually preferred the notion of bringing in outsiders like Dimps (SF4) and Eighting (TvC), as opposed to any "internal" help from other Capcom teams.

That's why Capcom, and hell, a number of Japanese companies has these multiple "Production Studios" for this very reason. The different teams are allowed to govern themselves and work autonomously. And believe it or not, the notion of how there is "competition" amongst these various teams inside such companies is still alive and well, to a good extent. That's why you don't see "big scale collaboration efforts" comprising of several teams at once. If Ono and Niitsuma weren't forced to work together for the sake of MvC3 (which should be a fairly big deal for Capcom), then we're likely never to see them work together on a fighting game together. And maybe, that might be for the best, giving the two's decidedly different approaches on fighting games...  
That's some pretty interesting insight. Well, I guess fighting game it is, then. But for him to consider it bigger than SF4, I'm curious about it.