Super Smash Bros. Thread

Akamaru · 662441

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #4375 on: April 15, 2014, 11:00:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't peach wear heels too? Yet nobody's bitched once about that.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #4376 on: April 15, 2014, 11:09:28 PM
My response to the "It's not comfortable to fight in heels" is "SHE TURNS INTO A GODDAMN BALL! A. LITERAL. BALL."
But the morph ball has a functional purpose, if you ignore the fact that Samus would realistically crawl. On top of that, who's to say a morph ball isn't comfortable?

I think what bugs a lot of people is basically what high heels represent. For many people, high heels represent disempowerment and submissiveness to a male authority, since they are intended to appeal to the male gaze. Considering Samus is supposed to be a symbol of power, that is antithetical to her original design:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Personally, I don't really care too much. Conversely, high heels can be viewed as a symbol of power to others, and jet high heels is Sakurai's way for compensating the fact that ZSS, who was supposed to be a gimped Samus, "lost" her transformation.

On top of that, I never really saw ZSS, who's basically sexualized fanservice, as a proper representation of the Metroid series anyways.

Bad Box Art Snake Man Joins the Battle!

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4377 on: April 15, 2014, 11:22:58 PM
But the morph ball has a functional purpose

So do the Jet Heels.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4378 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:44 PM
Zero Suit Samus has been a thing for a decade now. Yes, the heels are new, but as PB said they serve a functional purpose. As did the Zero Suit when it was introduced 10 years ago.

I find it interesting there's so much backlash over these heels. Especially considering a lot of the claims kinda fall flat when you have logic placed against them.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4379 on: April 15, 2014, 11:34:13 PM
It's not that surprising. I mean, look at my GIF. People complained about that being sexist.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4380 on: April 15, 2014, 11:38:39 PM
@Soultrigger: I thought women wore heels so they wouldn't be as short as men on average, or because traditional heels are a culturally acceptable fashion statement. A fashion staple even. You see real women wear high heels at social events all the time. It's not just to pick up guys, women buy and wear these things because they look nice. I won't deny that many men like their women to wear them, for base reasons or not, but what men want doesn't necessarily influence what women want.

Also I'm kinda glad this discussion started just so I can post this:

It's not that surprising. I mean, look at my GIF. People complained about that being sexist.

You know I honestly haven't heard much outcry about that. It didn't make news on Kotaku or anything. And depending on where you look, the Little Mac reveal started something on the other end of the spectrum: a new shipping pair.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4381 on: April 15, 2014, 11:44:09 PM
I remember that, it was quite silly. Still interesting though.

It's interesting how people get so up in arms over what a fictional character is wearing. I actually almost got into an argument this morning with someone about Yuna's FFX-2 appearance. She knew nothing about the game nor the character, but the change in appearance from X to X-2's was enough for an argument. And it's like, you have no ground to stand on here. And it feels quite the same with ZSS's heels that are purely functional and were designed to make her more on-par with her full suit instead of weaker as in Brawl.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Protoman Blues

• RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #4382 on: April 15, 2014, 11:45:46 PM
Honestly, if heels helped people fly or jump super high, I'd wear em!  8D I'm sure a lot of people, men & women, would as well!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4383 on: April 15, 2014, 11:46:01 PM
I also imagine it'd be extraordinarily uncomfortable to fight while wearing a corset, yet look at Peach.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4384 on: April 15, 2014, 11:47:51 PM
It's also Smash Bros, where characters are shrunken or enlarged to be on the same scale as other characters and go through all the various Nintendo worlds even if it makes zero sense. So why are people saying that it doesn't make sense for her to wear heels when it's a video game where logic need not apply and it's Smash Bros, where logic also need not apply.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #4385 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:03 PM
So do the Jet Heels.
Just to be clear, I don't really mind "Jet Heels" if it's for jets. It was the high heels in Other M that bothered me.

@Soultrigger: I thought women wore heels so they wouldn't be as short as men on average, or because traditional heels are a culturally acceptable fashion statement. A fashion staple even. You see real women wear high heels at social events all the time. It's not just to pick up guys, women buy and wear these things because they look nice. I won't deny that many men like their women to wear them, for base reasons or not, but what men want doesn't necessarily influence what women want.
I said some people view it like that. I even mentioned that others viewed it as empowerment.

It's not so much who's right or wrong so much as it is "how you see it".

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4386 on: April 15, 2014, 11:51:46 PM
Honestly, if heels helped people fly or jump super high, I'd wear em!  8D I'm sure a lot of people, men & women, would as well!

Got the next best thing

8D

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #4387 on: April 15, 2014, 11:55:21 PM
I also imagine it'd be extraordinarily uncomfortable to fight while wearing a corset, yet look at Peach.
You're comparing a universe where an Italian plumber fights a turtle to save a princess to a universe that at least tries to be a little realistic.

It's interesting how people get so up in arms over what a fictional character is wearing. I actually almost got into an argument this morning with someone about Yuna's FFX-2 appearance. She knew nothing about the game nor the character, but the change in appearance from X to X-2's was enough for an argument. And it's like, you have no ground to stand on here. And it feels quite the same with ZSS's heels that are purely functional and were designed to make her more on-par with her full suit instead of weaker as in Brawl.
Yuna's X-2 appearance is mainly fanservice. I'd rather not argue whether it was in-character or not since you can argue both ways.

But it really is mainly fanservice. Which, considering the whole campy Jpop vibe X-2 had, is not actually out of place surprisingly.

Offline Satoryu

• Visually Appealing
  • RPM Purifier
  • Whose franchise is dead?
    • View Profile
Reply #4388 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:30 PM
I said some people view it like that. I even mentioned that others viewed it as empowerment.

It's not so much who's right or wrong so much as it is "how you see it".

You implied that was the majority opinion, though. And I disagreed with that.

Another thing about this: Samus is a superathlete. She could kick ass in these. She can kick ass in her Other M boots. She could be wearing stilts and still dominate the competition.

What happens in Vegas stays on Youtube. I also stream on Twitch from time to time.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4389 on: April 15, 2014, 11:56:53 PM

Offline Sakura Leic

• PB's Egoprentice and Weapon's Shack Owner
  • RPM Soldier
  • Don't make me mess you up
    • View Profile
Reply #4390 on: April 16, 2014, 12:41:32 AM
I love how I only used the heels as a foot note when I was confused about how people apparently were complaining about her breast size when she has always been eye candy and now we're just talking about her heels. XD

Still confused about the first part though. :\

Current playthrough: Chrono Trigger and God Eater Ressurection

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4391 on: April 16, 2014, 12:44:13 AM
Maybe Samus chose the heels to handicap herself so it would be more of a fair fight cause she's that powerful :P

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #4392 on: April 16, 2014, 05:56:09 AM
You're comparing a universe where an Italian plumber fights a turtle to save a princess to a universe that at least tries to be a little realistic.

I'm comparing a video game universe to another video game universe. Striving for realism doesn't change the fact that they're not obliged to abide by the logic of the real world. Why? Because it's a game.

Who cares?

Metal Gear Solid: Very realistic franchise, and somehow, two grown men can fit perfectly inside a small cardboard box.

Resident Evil 5
:

Resident Evil 5 - Chris Redfield vs. Boulder

THAT IS SO REALISTIC IT HURTS

Most "realistic" shooter titles: Characters soak up bullets like a sponge and regenerate.

MMOs: Characters wear bulking heavy armory and carry massive weapons, yet run around as if there's nothing weighing them down.

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Phoenix Wright, a bumbling lawyer with absolutely no fighting skills and Frank West, a reporter, can somehow take on the likes of Dormammu, Dante and any other supernatural or skilled fighters. Does it matter? No, 'CAUSE IT'S A GAME. You can do whatever you please. Just have fun with it.

Who the hell cares if ZSS is wearing high heels and fighting in them? That's nothing compared to the examples illustrated above.

Logic need not apply to games. People are looking waaay too much into this.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4393 on: April 16, 2014, 01:43:41 PM
It's only offensive if you look for something to be offended by here, because unless you're looking for it there's really nothing there.

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #4394 on: April 17, 2014, 06:17:51 AM
People love to disagree with me.

I'm comparing a video game universe to another video game universe. Striving for realism doesn't change the fact that they're not obliged to abide by the logic of the real world. Why? Because it's a game.

Who cares?
So if they decided to genderbend everyone for Smash 4 and equip them with magical wands of friendship, you wouldn't care because it's a game?

Metal Gear Solid: Very realistic franchise, and somehow, two grown men can fit perfectly inside a small cardboard box.
Metal Gear Solid is a series that alternates between reality and fiction for dramatic/comedic effect. And for the most part, it's pretty consistent about it.

There's a time and place for everything. Obviously, games shouldn't be 100% super serious, but you're insinuating that they can't have a degree of realism just because they're sometimes unrealistic.

Resident Evil 5:

Resident Evil 5 - Chris Redfield vs. Boulder

THAT IS SO REALISTIC IT HURTS
Implying people actually praised this.

Rather than counterargue the rest of your argument (because it pretty much all boils down to "it's just a game"), you should really reconsider what you just wrote.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4395 on: April 17, 2014, 07:03:13 AM
Oh get off your high horse cause it's obvious this is just gonna keep going in circles, just like your Ridley argument.

Anyways, I'm really liking how Greninja's moveset looks. I don't usually play the fast characters but I might make an exception here. Also because #teamfroakie

Offline Soultrigger

• Resistance Member
  • Weapon Get!
    • View Profile
Reply #4396 on: April 17, 2014, 11:25:29 AM
Oh get off your high horse
All I did was merely offer a different viewpoint, one which I don't even completely agree with myself but at least understand. Someone tries to ridicule me, and I'm the one on a high horse for responding?

Btw, when I said "People love to disagree with me.", that was supposed to be ironic. I admit that could be taken differently, but I honestly don't think it's fair to scrutinize the way that I write and not others when they clearly have a derisive tone.

just like your Ridley argument.
I moved the Ridley talk to another thread because that honestly was its own can of worms.

But as you said earlier, jet heels is only offensive if you see it as such. I'm merely explaining the rationale of such people, which imo seems valid. Btw I'm not agreeing with blowing it out of proportion, I too don't see the need to get up in arms about that. I just don't think it's fair that one side completely dismisses the other just because there's an annoying vocal minority.

Sorry for souring the mood.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #4397 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:15 PM
If memory serves, you were told to drop it, not move it elsewhere. But that's neither here nor there.

This much was obvious from the Direct regarding Smash Run. Also Tac's little bow in front looks like a mustache.

Offline Suppercut ♡

• Toaster Catgirl Sniper
  • Neo Arcadian
  • something something All Limiters Released
    • View Profile
    • Ironically Opressing Oppression
Reply #4398 on: April 17, 2014, 10:00:05 PM
Um...on topic...

At least there'll be no more accidentally leaving my ass wide open when accidentally transforming to Sheik. Love Zelda, Sheik just....ehh.

Although I'm hype as hell for Megaman and Little Mac.

what

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #4399 on: April 18, 2014, 01:41:03 AM
So if they decided to genderbend everyone for Smash 4 and equip them with magical wands of friendship, you wouldn't care because it's a game?
It's very cute that you think "it's unrealistic" would be the main complaint about that scenario.

(Protip: Melee ALREADY gave everyone magical flower wands.)

Now ask yourself, devil's advocate or no, how much sense does it make to argue that somebody's ROCKET SHOES are too lacking in ergonomics to be practical?

...no, that has nothing to do with the heel discussion.  I'm just enjoying the eye candy. 8)

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)