Saber · 729759

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
    • Get equipped with Hyper's DA
Reply #2675 on: September 10, 2011, 05:25:56 AM
I actually find the best place to gather souls being the sub in Launch Octopus's stage.  I believe that is the fastest enemy spawn point in the game; just leave the sub alive and keep showing the claws that come out.

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2676 on: September 10, 2011, 06:49:51 AM
Barrel-rolling in 3D.  Presentation-wise, Star Fox kicks the crap out of OoT.

The lack of online is bewildering though. And 40 bucks seems a little too steep, compared to OoT's content.

But I haven't bought it yet. What's your verdict so far?

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #2677 on: September 10, 2011, 07:46:31 AM
Surprisingly, the Gyro controls in Starfox 3D aren't half bad.

Also, that raccoon that talks to you in training actually has a voice now. Blew my [tornado fang]ing mind that they gave him a voice since he was completely silent in the original.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2678 on: September 10, 2011, 08:08:09 AM
Like OoT, it's on the Wii for a quarter of the price.  You're paying for the makeover and the fact that it's portable.  To me it's well worth it; the presentation is much better and the shorter, replayable "arcade style" of Star Fox 64 is a better fit for a handheld.  I predict this will be my main 3DS game until either Mario, Sonic, or Pit provide something original.

Unlike OoT, they didn't pull any punches so far as graphics go (besides maybe the fact that the in-ship animal heads still don't have mouths, but I think that's getting nitpicky); the visuals are GORGEOUS.  Soundtrack is remastered as well, and awesome.  All bosses have their names and descriptions displayed at the start of battle, kinda like a console Zelda game.  Fortuna was renamed Fichina.  The game auto-saves at every stage, so if you get interrupted, you're not losing much.

I can't really test the battle mode since I lack people to play with locally.  There is a Vs. CPU option, but I can't get that into it.  Landmaster and rocket launcher seem to be gone.

There's a new Score Attack mode, so you can replay any stage you want whenever.  They also added a new "Trial Run" course, a long enclosed corridor with obstacles to dodge (kinda like flying in the giant Space Armada ships on the SNES), where three collisions = failure.  The original Training course is now required before starting your first game for some reason.

The game has "3DS Mode" and "N64 mode" with separate medal counts.  I'm guessing that's just a fancy way of saying Easy/Normal, except that the gyro controls only work in 3DS Mode.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:32:05 PM by Hypershell »

Also on DeviantArt, Rumble, DLive.tv, and the Fediverse (@freespeechextremist.com and @bae.st)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2679 on: September 10, 2011, 08:18:41 AM
Expert, looking at the manual, is pretty much the same as the N64 Expert mode.

That being said, no Gyro controls for Expert Mode.

I must say its quite enjoyable for being my first Retail 3DS game.

Offline Hypershell

• needs DRAGONITE POWER!
  • Legendary Hero
  • Steel in Zee Head
    • View Profile
Reply #2680 on: September 10, 2011, 04:48:52 PM
On the home console front, currently hacking the crap out of New Super Mario Bros. Wii's soundtrack, thanks to Riivolution and the like.

Lineland Road music in a true platformer, for the win baby!

Offline irgpie

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2681 on: September 10, 2011, 04:53:38 PM
Just started Thief: The Dark Project.. er rather, "Thief Gold". Same thing just with some extra missions. I was a bit worrisome at how I'd do with 1st-person stealth after my brief skirmish with Deus Ex (which I will very slowly get all the way through), but this plays just fine. Standing in a little shadow in a corner and being nigh invisible is amusingly fun. The guards have some funny chatter between each other. I dunno what the hell a "taffer" is but I'm guessing something rather insulting in this game's universe. I look forward to being scared shitless by the later levels/games.

Also going to completely start over in NieR today. Apparently the weapon I'm missing to unlock Ending C and D is one I should've gotten automatically as part of the story. Since the New Game Plus always starts me after the point I get it, I'm forever stuck at 97%. Whatever though, I wanted to maybe do all those sidequests I missed in the 1st half anyways.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2682 on: September 11, 2011, 07:24:53 AM
Playing... Or rather trying to play ACE: R.

A little too few english subtitles, but the fighting is fun. Started in R2 Route naturally.

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #2683 on: September 12, 2011, 09:57:26 PM
I beat BloodRayne: Betrayal. WayForward did a very awesome job at making the game! <3

Jake 'Virt' Kaufman (once again) did a beautiful (and sexy) work with the music (and the 8bit versions too)~ Respect him so much! :cookie:

I recommend it to everyone that loves a mix of Castlevania/Rockman Zero/Shank type gameplay, mixed with handdrawn visuals. ^^

Speaking of handdrawn things, I would have liked Rayne to wear the more revealing outfit from the Concept Gallery. :3

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2684 on: September 12, 2011, 10:15:22 PM
I beat BloodRayne: Betrayal. WayForward did a very awesome job at making the game! <3

Jake 'Virt' Kaufman (once again) did a beautiful (and sexy) work with the music (and the 8bit versions too)~ Respect him so much! :cookie:

I recommend it to everyone that loves a mix of Castlevania/Rockman Zero/Shank type gameplay, mixed with handdrawn visuals. ^^

Speaking of handdrawn things, I would have liked Rayne to wear the more revealing outfit from the Concept Gallery. :3
Planning on playing. Why is it that Wayforward is the only company that can crank out consistingly good games, all crafted out of pure commercial set-in-stone franchises, and all of them are fantastic experiences?

Oh, wait, stick Telltale in that basket too.

Offline Sapphire Knight

• Coffee-Powered
  • Master's Unit
  • Short for Sapphire Knight
    • View Profile
    • Sapph's DA
Reply #2685 on: September 12, 2011, 10:25:24 PM
Been playing Viva Pinata Trouble in Paradise lately. And finished all of the stories 100% in Blazblue Continuum Shift yesterday.

My thread of Random Crap

Who loves Grape Soda? Sapph loves Grape Soda! Is it true? Is it true? Ohyesohyesohyes it's true-oo~ I do I do I do I do-oo~

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2686 on: September 12, 2011, 10:39:46 PM
Botkai 1: The Sun is In your Hand
Area: FireRock Mountain
Boss: Sabata
Equipment: Ice Lens, Homing, Infininte (It's used and it was apparently hacked before it was turned in. how odd.)

Jake 'Virt' Kaufman

*expects a free downloadable OST from him, like his other OSTs before it in downloadable ZIP files*

Don't forget NIS and Banpresto (Atlus brings over their games!). Can't go wrong with those guy's sense of humor.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2687 on: September 12, 2011, 10:41:31 PM
Planning on playing. Why is it that Wayforward is the only company that can crank out consistingly good games, all crafted out of pure commercial set-in-stone franchises, and all of them are fantastic experiences?

Atlus has a pretty solid track record as well. Unlike the Shin Megami Tensei franchises, their Trauma Center games are far more underrated. Yet I loved every bit of them, especially TC Under the Knife 2. Hooked from beginning to end.

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2688 on: September 12, 2011, 11:27:30 PM
Atlus has a pretty solid track record as well. Unlike the Shin Megami Tensei franchises, their Trauma Center games are far more underrated. Yet I loved every bit of them, especially TC Under the Knife 2. Hooked from beginning to end.
I meant in making games based on licensed franchises and being true to them.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
  • KINGDOM HEARTS IS WAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2689 on: September 12, 2011, 11:30:59 PM
I meant in making games based on licensed franchises and being true to them.
It's because they love video games, and don't want to ruin any franchises. I mean, Matt Bozon has his own dA page, and I don't know of any other devs who have that.

Maybe that's not a great gauge, but it's a pretty cool thing to me.

Oh, as to what I'm playing...
Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
Dissidia Duodecim
Prinny: Can I Really Be The Hero?
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP
Just enjoy yourself, don't complain about everything

Offline Bueno Excelente

• Diddlyboodlyzoodly
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #2690 on: September 12, 2011, 11:45:23 PM
It's because they love video games, and don't want to ruin any franchises. I mean, Matt Bozon has his own dA page, and I don't know of any other devs who have that.

Maybe that's not a great gauge, but it's a pretty cool thing to me.

Oh, as to what I'm playing...
Dissidia Duodecim
Mirby, I didn't mean that.

I meant that Wayforward and Telltale handle properties that are mostly based on old cartoons, movies, shows, comics, old games... stuff that isn't theirs. Stuff that most of the time, you'd see handed to EA or Activision, stuff like game movie adaptations, the Harry Potter and Transformers movie games, that kind of stuff! Or follow-ups of old classics, stuff that normally gets really shitty in the transition. I'm not gonna give "movie games" as the only example, since Wayforward have games based on Barbie, Spongebob, Despicable Me... just to give an example. Thing is, they turn what you'd normally consider shovelware, into REALLY good games, that are really faithful to their original franchise. Same with Telltale, who have revitalized Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Back to the Future and many others successfully. And will be handling The Walking Dead and Jurassic Park soon.

There are alot of companies that make good games and handle good franchises, like Platinum Games, Bungie, Bethesda, Naughty Dog... But I meant those two as an example of being able to make games based on any kind of franchise, and succeeding.

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #2691 on: September 13, 2011, 12:03:12 AM
Oh, that's what you meant. I thought you were specifying their games in general. That in which, most of them have been excellent gameplay experiences.

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2692 on: September 13, 2011, 10:09:03 PM
Botkai 1: The Sun is In your Hand
Area: FireRock Mountain
Boss: Sabata
Equipment: Ice Lens, Homing, Infininte (It's used and it was apparently hacked before it was turned in. how odd.)

Boss: Defeated (FireRock Golem Boss, damn Sabata, quit running!)
Times Spotted: 002
Final Grade: C-

Could've fared better. I just realized now Battle Network and Botkai's grading systems are oh so similar.. Speaking of which, a day/night system would've been nice. But then that would beat the "The Sun is In Your Hand" gimmick, now would it?

Now..

Area: PermaFrost Mountain
Boss: ???
Equipment: Flame Lens, Knight, Infininte (It's used and it was apparently hacked before it was turned in. how odd.)

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2693 on: September 14, 2011, 04:04:23 AM
Ummm....

I think there is a day/night system.

Try playing at night.

OH [parasitic bomb] IM USING LINK AND I ACCIDENTALLY FINAL SMASHED A CUCCO OH GOD HELP

Offline Gaia

• Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #2694 on: September 14, 2011, 05:18:03 AM
Ah, I see. Kinda strange anyway.. Must be because of when the sun sets IRL, the solar gimmick won't work. On a side note, this dungeon has a very intriguing gimmick.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2695 on: September 14, 2011, 05:37:50 AM
Not really strange at all.

If there's a full moon that night, you can get solar energy from it. And also, maybe it sets the stage for challenge runs.

Also, why wouldn't there be a day/night system in a game that uses the physical sun?

(speaking of which, check out this Boktai mix...)

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #2696 on: September 14, 2011, 11:25:38 AM
Finished the Geass route in ACE:R.

So... nice ending? I don't understand why we couldn't at least have english subtitles, but I digress.

Tried starting the FMP route, got stuck on the first boss. The characters seem intresting enough so I'm probably going to have to give that a watch sometime.

Offline Mirby

• RPM's Krillin
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
Reply #2697 on: September 14, 2011, 11:29:34 AM
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2
Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Tales
Disgaea Infinite
Prinny 2: Dawn of Operation Panties, Dood!
Holy Invasion Of Privacy, Badman
What Did I Do To Deserve This, My Lord?
Hammerin' Hero
Cladun: This is an RPG

yeah, all that.

Offline Reaperoid

• Redundant
  • Master's Unit
  • d-don't fear the reaper
    • View Profile
Reply #2698 on: September 14, 2011, 12:30:56 PM
Kamen Rider Climax Heroes OOO
Disgaea 2 Portable
Pokémon Ruby, SoulSilver, White
Viewtiful Joe (PS2's Dante Mode <3)
Halo CE
Jedi Academy: Knights of the Force

I guess all I can really say is it isn't exactly what I'd expect out of a $4.4M game

It doesn't even have mouth animations

Offline VixyNyan

• Kind & Generous Fluffy Pillow~
  • RPM Ecchi Princess
  • ♪ Vixylicious Nya Nya~ ♪
    • View Profile
    • Rockman Perfect Memories
Reply #2699 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:40 PM

So beautiful~ Just like I remembered it back in my Saturn days~ :cookie: 0v0 ;ω;b

Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 3480-2506-4200
[DeviantArt|Twitch.tv|Youtube|Fan Work|WiiVC|Character File]
Rock10: Ranking. Rock9: AC, EA, SS, Challenge, Ranking.
(c) Sky Child~