Old Nintendo system sells for $13,105

Flame · 3250

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
on: February 14, 2010, 06:20:21 AM
Everyday folk discovering colossally valuable collectors' items amid everyday junk has been the lifeblood of antiques shows for years, but it's not every day you see a real-life gold-in-the-attic tale play out on eBay.

Last week, North Carolina eBay user lace_thongs35 thought she was putting up an everyday, 80s-era Nintendo Entertainment System (together with five games) up on the popular auction site. But less than an hour after the first bid, the price was over $6,000 -- and on Wednesday, when the auction closed, the final selling price topped $13,000.

Why? Not the console itself, but one of the games bundled with it -- a deeply obscure 1987 release called Stadium Events, a highly sought-after collectors' item. But it wasn't even the game itself that was worth the bulk of the money -- it was the original cardboard box, which collectors value at a breathtaking $10,000. Fewer than 10 complete copies of the game are thought to exist, and retro gaming aficionados consider it one of the hardest-to-find NES games ever made.

Bet you're wishing you hadn't let Mom throw out your Nintendo collection now, eh?
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/old-nintendo-system-sells-for-13-105/1389101

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 06:21:55 AM
JEE-SUS

Offline Jericho

• Rather Unique
  • RPM Knight
  • Long time no see!
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 07:09:15 AM
I'd probably be the only person who'd have something like that but wouldn't cash in on it for "sentimental reasons". XD

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 07:14:21 AM
I wonder if that Stadium Events game is even any good.  XD

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 07:17:50 AM
I'd probably be the only person who'd have something like that but wouldn't cash in on it for "sentimental reasons". XD
Your not alone. i wouldnt sell something ive had for a long time no matter the value. My things get very attatched to me...
Like growths.
maybe I should have that looked at...
I wonder if that Stadium Events game is even any good.  XD
lol, probably not.

...When Larry the reploid accountant goes maverick of his own accord, he's certainly formidable during tax season, but he isn't going to provide X the challenge needed to make him grow as a warrior and reach his potential.

Offline Quickman

• Crystal Clod and
  • RPM Sorcerer
  • Classy clod
    • View Profile
    • B. Roth Arts
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 08:56:16 AM
I'd sell mine, but it belonged to my grandpa, so that's never getting sold.  Besides, what would I play Duck Hunt or the Lone Ranger on?

Offline Rad Lionheart

• Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 09:19:36 AM
Considering my desperate attempts at scrambling for cash for a new PC, I'd be willing to let something like that go if it meant raking in that much dough.
Sadly, I doubt I have anything of value anyway. :C

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:43:03 PM
Cripes, $10,000 for a Piece of [tornado fang]ing CARDBOARD. What a waste of money...

EDIT: So, its World Class Track Meet.  You know, the game for that Power Pad thing Nintendo bought from Bandai.

Offline Nekomata

• The Adorable
  • RPM Goddess
  • The Devil in The Poisoned Tuxedo
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2010, 08:55:13 PM
brb, going down to flea market to buy a new NES Power Pack for $60.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2010, 09:42:13 PM
Cripes, $10,000 for a Piece of [tornado fang]ing CARDBOARD. What a waste of money...

Collecting is serious business, dude.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2010, 10:11:17 PM
I can understand that, but there is a point where something just isn't worth it. Like cardboard, that isn't worth more than $5. But wow, the seller must be happy.

Offline Alice in Entropy

• Genderifically Confuzzled
  • Master's Unit
  • MAKE LOVE FOR MY KITTENS
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2010, 10:14:53 PM
SERIOUS BUSINESS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

NO EXCUSES.

EVER.

Besides, it's not really the box, it's what the box represents - one of the rarest pieces of Nintendo memorabilia in existence. I wouldn't spend that much money on it, because it doesn't have much value to me, but I'm not going to diss the buyer for it. At the end of the day, it's their money, their hobby, their collection.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 12:15:36 AM
SERIOUS BUSINESS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

NO EXCUSES.

EVER.

Besides, it's not really the box, it's what the box represents - one of the rarest pieces of Nintendo memorabilia in existence. I wouldn't spend that much money on it, because it doesn't have much value to me, but I'm not going to diss the buyer for it. At the end of the day, it's their money, their hobby, their collection.

Point Taken, I'll go away now.

Offline Dexter Dexter

• Utterly jaded
  • Neo Arcadian
  • I was born with this face...
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:22:19 AM
Damn. Antiques Roadshow ain't got [parasitic bomb] on this.

SAMPLE TEXT

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 12:27:25 AM
"So, what have you brought to the roadshow today?"
"A cardboard game box."

Offline Rick

• Je ne sais pas?
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
    • Debug Modes & Unused Stuff
Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 09:03:29 AM
As a collector, that really never surprised me any when I found out that it was a complete Stadium Events. That thing, after all, is the rarest NES game around, regardless of how good it is. At least it's a licensed game anyway. Cheetahmen 2 is also pretty high up there as far as game rarity goes, but you'd get the same amount of play control whether you seriously played the game or sat repeatedly on the controller.

There's a few other rarities too. Believe it or not, there's a Flintstones title that goes for a really high price. Snow Bros., another Capcom port on the NES, also typically goes for well over $50 on Amazon.

Offline Flame

• The obsessive
  • RPM Soldier
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 26, 2010, 09:06:03 AM
As a collector, that really never surprised me any when I found out that it was a complete Stadium Events. That thing, after all, is the rarest NES game around, regardless of how good it is. At least it's a licensed game anyway. Cheetahmen 2 is also pretty high up there as far as game rarity goes, but you'd get the same amount of play control whether you seriously played the game or sat repeatedly on the controller.

There's a few other rarities too. Believe it or not, there's a Flintstones title that goes for a really high price. Snow Bros., another Capcom port on the NES, also typically goes for well over $50 on Amazon.
If it was the game, I would understand even a slight bit more. But it isnt. Whole fuss is over the damn cardboard box.

Offline Rick

• Je ne sais pas?
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010, 09:10:37 AM
It's just a collector's thing in general to have the box and the manual as well. Oftentimes, the box is rarer than the cart itself, since it was just meant for packaging and typically, people just tossed them afterwards as worthless junk.

The good news is if you don't want the box for Stadium Events, the cart alone goes down a lot. How does about $1,000 on average sound? :p

Offline Sky

• massive idiot
  • SA-Class Hunter
  • for kids
    • View Profile
    • art blog
Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 11:53:52 PM
my mom threw out my sega genesis collection

but a while ago i ended up coming into a bunch of pre-owned NES games and buying an NES that worked fantastically after a few minor repairs

i'll never make that kind of money on it if i resell it, but i put more value into the joy i get out of owning it than anything else

meanwhile, i have 5 SNESes and nothing to plug them into anything with

squemp

Offline Rick

• Je ne sais pas?
  • Net Navi
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 12:50:22 PM
Well, well. Looks like that $13,105 price tag just got totally trounced.

I swear, I'm just going to get a repro cart of this made for my collection and call it good. >_>;