Nickelodeon Fiction VS Cartoon Network Fiction

geekgo4 · 9267

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
on: January 31, 2010, 03:18:26 PM
In the 80's Nickelodeon was basically the only kids network then. They would mostly show Third Party children's animated entertainment(back then, Nick Jr. show Kodomomuke Anime), as well as show original shows(live-action and game shows then), It wasn't until the 90's that the network decided to showcase 3 original, stand-alone animated shows(I guess to avoid third party license).

In 1992, a new network brocasted to dedicated itseft to classic cartoons(mostly and mainly William Hanna and Joe Barbera Fiction). While Cartoon Network was showcasting then, Nickelodeon was alreadly getting new material. In 1995, Cartoon Network decided to let new generation cartoonists to showcase their shorts one-by-one to see if they are worthy to be a Cartoon Network Original. Back then, they were called "World Primere Toons." Eventually, 1 short did get it's own show(It was the first World Primere Toon(or What-A-Cartoon) shown on the list). Later, 2 more were added.

While CN had 3(4 if you want to count The What-A-Cartoon Show) Cartoon Cartoons(what they were called then, before they scrub that name), Nick already had 8 Nicktoons(what they were called and still are) in that process. More from each side were added, and the rest is history(it also went downhill for both later).

I always saw a war going on between them. The "Marvel VS DC" of children's animated network. The FOX Kids VS Old Kids WB, then.The McDonalds VD Burger King.  You get my picture.

Is their still a rivalry going on? Is anyone picking favorites?

Offline Acid

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 03:23:15 PM
Maaaaaan I remember "Aaaaah Real Monsters" and "Rocko's Modern Life"

RML was one of the best damn cartoons I ever watched.

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 04:02:53 PM
For the longest time Canada had YTV (Youth Television) and Teletoon. YTV was mainly the equivalent of Nick, showing quite a few Nick shows, including their newer live-action ones. It also showed a few anime late at night, but I've no idea if they still do. Teletoon meanwhile, is the Cartoon Network equivalent. They only show cartoons, with a few exceptions being movies on the weekends or late at night. There's also Family Channel which mainly shows Disney's crap, but also showed Nick's old live action shows such as "All That" for some time.

Recently however, Nickelodeon has recently expanded to Canada. I've no idea what effect it'll have on the other channels though.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 06:35:39 PM
For the longest time Canada had YTV (Youth Television) and Teletoon. YTV was mainly the equivalent of Nick, showing quite a few Nick shows, including their newer live-action ones. It also showed a few anime late at night, but I've no idea if they still do. Teletoon meanwhile, is the Cartoon Network equivalent. They only show cartoons, with a few exceptions being movies on the weekends or late at night. There's also Family Channel which mainly shows Disney's crap, but also showed Nick's old live action shows such as "All That" for some time.

Recently however, Nickelodeon has recently expanded to Canada. I've no idea what effect it'll have on the other channels though.
Did either Canadian Networks had their own original programming?

Offline Gaia

• RPM's only Card Collector.
  • Legendary Hero
  • Yep.
    • View Profile
    • YT Profile Page
Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 06:55:17 PM
Basically, I remember that what a cartoon show, with one concept ending up into Family Guy (Talking Dog, old dumb guy strikingly resembling Peter Griffin, etc)

Unless it was an influince in McFarlane's part, who knows.

Workshop/DA/YT/Photobucket なにかんがえてるの!?
So its about ass now huh? EVEN THE ASS HAS 'EXCEEDED'!

One mention of LEGENDS and everyone goes batshit.  :\

Yep, every time when someone mentions that game people get energized for an apparent reason whatsoever. It's like this everywhere else, trust me.

It got really messy to find my sprite and comic topic, so it's in my sig.

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 06:57:06 PM
Did either Canadian Networks had their own original programming?
YTV had little live-action segment in between shows sometimes. Teletoon meanwhile had many Canadian-made cartoons, all of which were/are [parasitic bomb]

EDIT: Thinking back some more, YTV has/had a few Canadian shows as well. Theirs usually weren't nearly as bad as Teletoon's though. (e.g. Reboot)

Offline Protoman Blues

• Green Lantern of Sector 1337
  • RPM Knight
  • Searching for Wanda
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 08:49:58 PM
I honestly don't think there was any kind of rivalry between Nick & CN.  By the time CN started developing their own stuff, Nick's 3 main toons when it first started Doug, Rugrats and Ren & Stimpy, were already pretty much done, except for Rugrats which continued on.  The difference between Nick toons and CN originals was that CN originals lasted a bit longer, again except for Rugrats. 

In the long run, CN was influential in popularizing Anime here in the US, which could also be seen as the possible destruction of good US cartoons here, and Nickelodeon had the best game shows ever conceived.

Offline Klavier Gavin

• RPM Soldier
  • Einspruch!
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:42:55 PM
Man, this thread makes me miss my childhood. ;_____;

Oh [tornado fang] yes!

Offline Phi

• RPM Knight
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 10:52:49 PM
Hey Arnold! was one of the greatest [tornado fang]ing cartoons to ever exist.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 11:02:01 PM

Agreed. That show was the BEST of Nick's line-up of cartoons.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 11:05:10 PM
Basically, I remember that what a cartoon show, with one concept ending up into Family Guy (Talking Dog, old dumb guy strikingly resembling Peter Griffin, etc)

Unless it was an influince in McFarlane's part, who knows.

That was Larry and Steve, Seth made that when he was working for H-B (Before Johnny Bravo was made.)

Anyway, I used to watch both Nick and CN in my Childhood, I love the Classics, but I tended to favor Nick more at one point, then switched to CN, then back to Nick. So on and So forth.

Offline ViperAcidZX

• Blastia researcher and
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
    • -Lousy Artist since 1991-
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 11:17:37 PM
A lot of shows in our childhood were great; Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Labratory, Rocko's Modern Life, Kablam!, they were great. But nowadays we get lame shows like Johnny Test. Looking back at these shows really shows you how great some of these shows really are compared to today's stuff.

Offline geekgo4

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 03:38:25 PM
To be fair, Johnny test is not a CN original.

And hey, there's The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack and Adventure Time with Jake and Flinn.

Offline Police Girl

• A total qt
  • Legendary Hero
  • cannons are cool i guess
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 02:07:10 AM
A lot of shows in our childhood were great; Johnny Bravo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Labratory, Rocko's Modern Life, Kablam!, they were great. But nowadays we get lame shows like Johnny Test. Looking back at these shows really shows you how great some of these shows really are compared to today's stuff.

I swear its Nostalgia, looking back some of these shows were not as good as they used to be. And some kids shows aren't that bad nowadays, Todays kids like today's kids shows like we liked our childhood shows.

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 11:14:14 PM
YTV had little live-action segment in between shows sometimes. Teletoon meanwhile had many Canadian-made cartoons, all of which were/are [parasitic bomb]

I agree, except on one gem.  Doodlez

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCRXZcF0_yM[/youtube]

There's also Cybersix, which is some deal between Teletoon and Japan (or something like that), TMS specifically.  Though since TMS animated it 100%, while being rather faithful to the artstyle of the Argentian comics.  It's pretty damn amazing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z22seoMxgpI[/youtube]

Offline Irgendein

• Neo Arcadian
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:07 PM
I agree, except on one gem.  Doodlez
Oh hell yes, I remember that now. A gem indeed.

There's also Cybersix, which is some deal between Teletoon and Japan (or something like that), TMS specifically.  Though since TMS animated it 100%, while being rather faithful to the artstyle of the Argentian comics.  It's pretty damn amazing
I also remember a bit of Cybersix, it was pretty good, but being a kid at the time, I was always very confused about Cybersix's actual gender.

Now all we get out of Teletoon & Japan nowadays is Spider Riders :/

Offline The Drunken Dishwasher

• ~Daydreamer~
  • Master's Unit
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 11:29:41 PM
Now all we get out of Teletoon & Japan nowadays is Spider Riders :/

...*looks that up*

Edit:...Heh.  A cool person has all the 13 eps of Cybersix uploaded, so...curiosity can fed I suppose~